Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ut oh, Petrino had to be physically restrained from going after Sports Media Guy

Started by Doug, August 20, 2015, 11:33:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug

No, it's not Bobby Petrino making waves this time.

Paul apparently has issues keeping his attitude in check, too.

http://dnews.com/blogs/idaho-fall-camp-paul-petrino-fires-at-the-media/article_758fb8fa-470f-11e5-be57-1f9d0aab4e2d.html

QuoteThen he turned back and started to move toward me, still angrily shouting expletives about my writing and my professionalism while being physically restrained by one of his assistants, approaching me as if he had plans to do something other than verbally express his concerns.

I stood quietly, choosing not to engage with him, instead waiting for him to lower his voice and talk to me like a man. I never had the chance. He just walked away.

(I'll move this to General Sports later...)
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

hoglady

Well - I don't really know what to think.

We're hearing one side of the altercation from the person wielding the power of the pen - would like to hear the other side or at least something from a neutral bystander.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Doug

Quote from: hogladyWell - I don't really know what to think.

We're hearing one side of the altercation from the person wielding the power of the pen - would like to hear the other side or at least something from a neutral bystander.
Different situation, different mindset, different year, but I can tell you that from my own personal observations of Paul a couple years ago (I was on the field for the coach's handshake mid-field), I was less than impressed with his actions and attitude then. So, to hear about yesterday's issues really doesn't surprise me, sadly.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

lahawg1

Ragnar Hogbrok

Petrino (Paul-type) does realize he isn't exactly a large or physically dominating fellow, right?
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

immahog

Petrino complained that the media coverage of his team is too negative lol you have won two games in as many years..... "its D1 FOOTBALL if you dont like it go coach intramurals"
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

The_Iceman

Calling All Hogs

Being 2-21 at Idaho, Paul should be grateful when any media person wants to talk to him at all.

ZERO

I'm sure he has his own side of the story, but that's just not what you do to someone in the media. It's yet another Petrino-induced PR nightmare. You especially don't do it after posting a 1-11 record your first two seasons. Why is Idaho even keeping this guy around? What's their incentive? They seriously have nowhere to go but up.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

younghog

GO HOGS

Professor Psychosis

Probably still holding on to repressed anger at himself for asking a backup QB to throw the ball over and over in the second half with a 28-7 lead over ULM instead of letting Knile Davis & Dennis Johnson run the clock out.

Dwight_K_Shrute

How the hell he has kept his job is beyond me.  He has a terrible record and is a huge pr***.  He must be the only coach that will work for spuds.  He also looks like a grown up version of Bobby Hill.

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

TDHawgs

I knew after he was our Offensive Coordinator under JLS that he was definitely not his brother. I'm surprised he even still has a coaching job actually.

Professor Psychosis

Garrick McGee better start applying for jobs.  Little brother's probably gonna need one.

ZERO

Quote from: Professor Psychosis on August 20, 2015, 12:24:14 pm
Garrick McGee better start applying for jobs.  Little brother's probably gonna need one.

Garrick McGee went right back to where he belongs: Working as Petrino's OC. I don't think any of Petrino's coordinators ended up being good HCs. Of course, it doesn't help that they all went to black hole jobs.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

Adam Stokes

Sounds like Paul was going after the guy like a Turbo Buffalo.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Garrick is fine.  They will slide Paul in to another offensive position and make him a "Co" coordinator. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Professor Psychosis

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on August 20, 2015, 12:27:23 pm
Garrick is fine.  They will slide Paul in to another offensive position and make him a "Co" coordinator. 

Ah, yes, the co-coordinator scheme.  Right out of Houston Nutt's playbook.

MountieDawg

SEC!

Uncommon

smb

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on August 20, 2015, 12:02:30 pm
Being 2-21 at Idaho, Paul should be grateful when any media person wants to talk to him at all.
This is exactly the right answer.
GeorgiaHOG

Seebs

After reading this guys whining column, I think there are no winners - Bad coach and meh writer.  Let em duke it out.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

SpaCityHawg

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on August 20, 2015, 12:17:43 pm
How the hell he has kept his job is beyond me.  He has a terrible record and is a huge pr***.  He must be the only coach that will work for spuds.  He also looks like a grown up version of Bobby Hill.

What did Bobby Hill ever do to you? ;D

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: SpaCityHawg on August 20, 2015, 01:04:21 pm
What did Bobby Hill ever do to you? ;D

I love me some Bobby Hill, but I don't think any adult man or football coach should look like him. 

Hogarusa

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

rude1

After two wins in two seasons this might be the sign that the days are numbered for PP. Usually it is the media that embattled coaches tend to lash out at when things are going badly on the field and  they don't have the answers to fix.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: Professor Psychosis on August 20, 2015, 12:13:44 pm
Probably still holding on to repressed anger at himself for asking a backup QB to throw the ball over and over in the second half with a 28-7 lead over ULM instead of letting Knile Davis & Dennis Johnson run the clock out.

Your post prompted me to go back and look at the stats from that game. Wish I hadn't. As complete a second half meltdown as could be imagined.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

nchogg

What do you expect from Paul. I lost all respect for him when he publicly made comments about the John L season saying the players quit when he left for Idaho. Players only quit when a coach quits on the players. That was one of Coach B's biggest problems when he arrived. It took time for his players to change their mindset. Now football is fun for them again and they are confidant they can win.

Demi

I think even after tinkling out two 1-11 seasons his job is more stable than you'd think...Wee are talking about a program that John L. Smith is their greatest coach ever. Let that get your piss hot. Also they weren't exactly killing it before PP got there. Show up to coach and you're in.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Demi on August 20, 2015, 03:07:04 pm
I think even after tinkling out two 1-11 seasons his job is more stable than you'd think...Wee are talking about a program that John L. Smith is their greatest coach ever. Let that get your piss hot. Also they weren't exactly killing it before PP got there. Show up to coach and you're in.
this cracked me up!
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Demi

Hog N Bama

Nothing about the Petrinos surprises me. And surely not something like friction with the press lol. I usually support the SEC in all OOC games. It's going to be tough to support either Auburn or Louisville in that game. Guess I will flip a coin.

hoosier

Hog N Bama

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Seebs on August 20, 2015, 12:49:31 pm
After reading this guys whining column, I think there are no winners - Bad coach and meh writer.  Let em duke it out.
I agree. There's something that bothers me about a reporter who writes a story in which he is involved. How can you possibly be objective reporting on something controversial that allegedly happened to you? Reporters are not a story. They tell stories about coaches and players and fans and ADs.

When I got into this business there was an unwritten rule about going public with private conversations (or confrontations) between themselves and coaches they covered.

These days it's whatever sells.

hoglady

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on August 20, 2015, 01:47:32 pm
Your post prompted me to go back and look at the stats from that game. Wish I hadn't. As complete a second half meltdown as could be imagined.

That was the most frustratingly horribly called second half in the history of college football.
It makes me sick to even think about it.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Seebs on August 20, 2015, 12:49:31 pm

Thought I was the only one who felt this way... +1
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

RazorRed26

Quote from: Professor Psychosis on August 20, 2015, 12:13:44 pm

THIS! +1

Hawgzinbowlz

Well, this stirred' the pot a little.

Looking forward to '15.

" GO HOGS "

BPsTheMan

No one can win at Idaho

Recruits would rather go 1-AA than play in an indoor arena

HogBreath

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 20, 2015, 04:15:04 pm
I agree. There's something that bothers me about a reporter who writes a story in which he is involved. How can you possibly be objective reporting on something controversial that allegedly happened to you? Reporters are not a story. They tell stories about coaches and players and fans and ADs.

When I got into this business there was an unwritten rule about going public with private conversations (or confrontations) between themselves and coaches they covered.

These days it's whatever sells.

Thank you...spoken like a true professional.  Was Paul wrong for going crazy on the guy...no
doubt about it, but writing about it serves no purpose, Idaho & PP don't really need anymore bad news
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

bennyl08

I will say this about Paul, he knows how to scheme a WR open. You can see that at every stop he's been at.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

TomasPistola

Quote from: immahog on August 20, 2015, 11:54:07 am
Petrino complained that the media coverage of his team is too negative lol you have won two games in as many years..... "its D1 FOOTBALL if you dont like it go coach intramurals"

This comment is so underrated. +1 Brotha. +1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je-gpy6Y_UA
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

mhsbc59

I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

Augustus

Quote from: Hog N Bama on August 20, 2015, 03:41:55 pm
Nothing about the Petrinos surprises me. And surely not something like friction with the press lol. I usually support the SEC in all OOC games. It's going to be tough to support either Auburn or Louisville in that game. Guess I will flip a coin.

Completely agree, AU vs UL is a hard choice.  But, with the SEC showing in bowl games last year, and trolls like Danny Kanell using anything they can to try to "prove" the SEC isn't the best conference... I'll have to hold my nose and root for  Auburn.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Doug on August 20, 2015, 11:33:31 am
No, it's not Bobby Petrino making waves this time.

Paul apparently has issues keeping his attitude in check, too.

http://dnews.com/blogs/idaho-fall-camp-paul-petrino-fires-at-the-media/article_758fb8fa-470f-11e5-be57-1f9d0aab4e2d.html

(I'll move this to General Sports later...)

Maybe the beginning of the end of his tenure there...............................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on August 20, 2015, 12:02:30 pm

Or even shows up................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hoggish1

Quote from: immahog on August 20, 2015, 11:54:07 am

Next year he will be back with his motorcycle bro...

MissippHog

Why are so many "articles" written like they're writing on their blogs?  Is it that hard to find a decent reporter that knows how to tell a story?  Anyways, here's Petrino and his AD's presser addressing the incident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u56BatoFt7M

Dwight_K_Shrute