Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Question about Finebaum radio show

Started by Biggus Piggus, August 19, 2015, 04:26:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

Occasionally, I listen to the Finebaum replay while driving home from work. The past few times I have listened, callers included an abnormally high number of Missouri fans.

Did all 20,000 of Missouri's football fans gather at their high school quality stadium and decide to call Finebaum's show every day? What's going on? Is it like this every day?

I used to tire of the Alabama-Auburn callers dominating the show, but this is worse. These guys get on and start rattling off useless observations about their never-been-anything, never-gonna-be-anything football program. Finebaum sounds like he barely tolerates them and always manages to work in an mention of their home loss to Indiana last season.

If this happens every day, Missouri fans must have some kind of stupid plot to dominate the Finebaum show. They don't even talk this much Mizzou football on Columbia radio.

How many conference championships did Missouri win when it was in the Big Eight / 12? Anybody? That is a piece of trivia I would like to know.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

They had one Missouri fan get on last night and start telling us every detail of their entire wide receiver depth chart. Then another one came on to argue that Maty Mauk was the best quarterback in the SEC, because after all you want the player who is best in the fourth quarter. A third took a very deliberate pace in explaining why Missouri is the favorite to win the SEC. Not only are they trying to dominate the show, but they are doing it with an outrageously homer bent.

If not for the old guy with the chirping bird, I wouldn't have enjoyed any of last night's show.
[CENSORED]!

Uncommon

They have to do their Rodney Dangerfield "Get No Respect" routine because almost everyone that's not a Missouri fan, myself included, feel like:
A. They slid through the back door and won the SEC East last season.  Georgia was clearly the better team but choked against Florida and South Carolina.

B. They'll be as high as 3rd in the SEC East this season even after winning the division the last 2 seasons.

But because most feel like this, they make the phone calls.  Although some of our fans are guilty of this as well.

Chuck Beavers

It's preseason prediction time and they're having fun calling in to remind the prognosticators how wrong they were the last two seasons about Missouri.

MikePiazza

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 19, 2015, 04:26:25 pm
Occasionally, I listen to the Finebaum replay while driving home from work. The past few times I have listened, callers included an abnormally high number of Missouri fans.

Did all 20,000 of Missouri's football fans gather at their high school quality stadium and decide to call Finebaum's show every day? What's going on? Is it like this every day?

I used to tire of the Alabama-Auburn callers dominating the show, but this is worse. These guys get on and start rattling off useless observations about their never-been-anything, never-gonna-be-anything football program. Finebaum sounds like he barely tolerates them and always manages to work in an mention of their home loss to Indiana last season.

If this happens every day, Missouri fans must have some kind of stupid plot to dominate the Finebaum show. They don't even talk this much Mizzou football on Columbia radio.

How many conference championships did Missouri win when it was in the Big Eight / 12? Anybody? That is a piece of trivia I would like to know.

They've won 15 conference championships and none since winning the Big Eight in 1969. They have even less tradition than the Hogs do in football.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

Biggus Piggus

The past two years, Missouri callers were almost nonexistent on Finebaum, at least during the preseason. Their participation has increased by a dramatic amount.
[CENSORED]!

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 19, 2015, 04:54:33 pm
The past two years, Missouri callers were almost nonexistent on Finebaum, at least during the preseason. Their participation has increased by a dramatic amount.

I don't listen to Finebaum, but I live in Missouri and I can tell you that they feel that they get absolutely no credit for winning the East two years in a row.  So I'm sure that is fueling some of this.

The East does, in fact, suck.  But Mizzou should get credit for having their act together and winning a hell of a lot of games the last two years.  Their road record has been outstanding and their defense has been solid.

In recent times, their program is better than ours, so I it's silly to talk like they're inferior.  But I attribute most of that to Pinkel being there forever while we have had a coaching carousel going on here.

MissippHog

Quote from: DukeOfPork on August 19, 2015, 05:03:50 pm
I don't listen to Finebaum, but I live in Missouri and I can tell you that they feel that they get absolutely no credit for winning the East two years in a row.  So I'm sure that is fueling some of this.

The East does, in fact, suck.  But Mizzou should get credit for having their act together and winning a hell of a lot of games the last two years.  Their road record has been outstanding and their defense has been solid.

In recent times, their program is better than ours, so I it's silly to talk like they're inferior.  But I attribute most of that to Pinkel being there forever while we have had a coaching carousel going on here.
I think that's where most people take issue with Missouri fans.  They act as if they are accomplishing something while totally ignoring the fact that UF and UT have been down.  Not to mention they get to play Vandy and UK yearly and did not see Bama, Auburn, or LSU in the regular season during their SEC east championship seasons.  For the most part, due to about as easy as an SEC schedule you could have, they have been paper Tigers (see what I did there.)

Wildhog

Missouri fans have quickly become my least favorite in the conference.  But really, it's the SEC-East's fault for being so far down right now, so I can't say that I blame them. 

Not worried, though.  They'll get thumped in Fayetteville this year.  So long as we have a healthy BA, that game might actually get out of hand.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

HogBreath

Mizzou winning the east reminds me of why I have insurance.

Accidents do happen.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

duckman

Heard that last night Biggus, I think they are just getting their calls in before their 15 minutes is up....

carolinahogger

Quote from: DukeOfPork on August 19, 2015, 05:03:50 pm

Yep, they have won the SECE twice in the last two years.  Meanwhile, we have won two SEC games in that span and lost to them twice. 

Biggus Piggus

It wouldn't have been any worse had Vanderbilt fans dominated the airtime.

The really nice part this season is that Missouri has three good chances to humiliate the conference, with a road game at Jonesboro followed by a home game against UConn + a November game against BYU.

Did you know that at one time it was Missouri state law to shoot Mormons on sight?

Here's Missouri's SEC schedule:

at Kentucky
South Carolina
Florida
at Georgia
at Vanderbilt
Mississippi State
Tennessee
at Arkansas

My guess is they start 1-3 in the SEC, beat Vanderbilt, then lose their last three.
[CENSORED]!

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: carolinahogger on August 19, 2015, 06:32:53 pm
Yep, they have won the SECE twice in the last two years.  Meanwhile, we have won two SEC games in that span and lost to them twice once.
We didn't play them in 2013.

Quote from: Wildhog on August 19, 2015, 05:49:02 pm
Missouri fans have quickly become my least favorite in the conference.  But really, it's the SEC-East's fault for being so far down right now, so I can't say that I blame them. 

There's just something about the way they go about it that sets me on edge, and I have a hard time articulating exactly what it is. I'll take a shot though: the ones I've encountered have a strange humblebrag nature. They'll act humble, like they're "just happy to be competing in the SEC", but then throw in little comments or ask leading questions. You can tell that they're trying to get your goat, but in a way that makes you look defensive if you call them on it.

Just be upfront about being dickish homers like the rest of us, guys. ;)

MissippHog

Quote from: carolinahogger on August 19, 2015, 06:32:53 pm
Yep, they have won the SECE twice in the last two years.  Meanwhile, we have won two SEC games in that span and lost to them twice.
Nice try at bad-mouthing the Hogs but you couldn't even get that right. 

Oklahawg

Might be some message board thingy. HV has bumped links to vote for something on another website. Maybe HakunaMatata.com or whatever their fansite is called has a thread asking posters to call Finebaum.

Such a shame. Every Mizzou caller makes it tougher for Tammy to get through.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

carolinahogger

August 20, 2015, 08:07:19 am #16 Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 08:39:24 am by carolinahogger
Quote from: MissippHog on August 19, 2015, 08:10:20 pm
Nice try at bad-mouthing the Hogs but you couldn't even get that right.

Yeah, that's a good point.  In 2013 we lost to SCar by 40+ instead.

We won two SEC games in the time that they won two SECE titles.  Spin that.

The fact is that Hog fans only make themselves look foolish by ridiculing Mizzou.  They have performed on the field.  We have not. 

Grown ups count wins.  Children say 'We almost beat Bama' or 'We would have beaten XXX team except for a penalty'.  Wins matter.  Excuses don't matter.

Hogarusa

Kind of strange trash talking a school thats won 2 East titles and beat Arkansas
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Doug

Quote from: Biggus PiggusHow many conference championships did Missouri win when it was in the Big Eight / 12? Anybody? That is a piece of trivia I would like to know.
I'm not counting divisional or co-championships here.

OUTRIGHT championships:
MVC: 1909, 1919, 1924, 1925, 1927
Big 8: 1939, 1941, 1942, 1945, 1960, 1969
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Theolesnort

Actually I watch the SEC Network and Finebaum show most of the time. Tennessee is the one that dominates the most other than Bama and Auburn. The Missouri clique  is just wanting a little validation to their East championships. All the conference games have fallen very fortunately for them the last couple years. We played them without a functioning QB last year for a whole half. Still though that was not their fault (it was our coaches fault) but they did take advantage of it.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Biggus Piggus

I really have respect for the Missouri football program, but the callers are really annoying.
[CENSORED]!

Professor Psychosis

Callers.  Typically the worst part of any talk show.  Especially sports talk shows.

oldhawg

Quote from: MissippHog on August 19, 2015, 05:45:19 pm
I think that's where most people take issue with Missouri fans.  They act as if they are accomplishing something while totally ignoring the fact that UF and UT have been down.

Kinda like when the Hogs won the SWC the last couple of years of Hatfield's tenure as coach at Arkansas.  The  other traditional powers of the SWC were "down" in those years.  Should the Hogs give back those conference championship trophies?  Of course not.  Folks (at least older folks) are, and should be, proud of those accomplishments.

Whatever their schedule, and whatever the level of competition from other SECE schools, the fact is that Missouri won the East those two years (including beating the Hogs), and participated in the SECC game twice. That is a worthy accomplishment.

My opinion is to give them their dues, and look forward to beating the snot out of them in Fayetteville this year to put them in their rightful place, which is behind the Hogs, regardless of where they stand in the SECE.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: oldhawg on August 20, 2015, 08:31:21 am
Kinda like when the Hogs won the SWC the last couple of years of Hatfield's tenure as coach at Arkansas.  The  other traditional powers of the SWC were "down" in those years.  Should the Hogs give back those conference championship trophies?  Of course not.  Folks (at least older folks) are, and should be, proud of those accomplishments.

Whatever their schedule, and whatever the level of competition from other SECE schools, the fact is that Missouri won the East those two years (including beating the Hogs), and participated in the SECC game twice. That is a worthy accomplishment.

My opinion is to give them their dues, and look forward to beating the snot out of them in Fayetteville this year to put them in their rightful place, which is behind the Hogs, regardless of where they stand in the SECE.

Arkansas won the SEC West in 1995, 1998 (tie, lost tiebreaker to MSU), 2002 (three-way tie for second, when Bama was first but on probation), and 2006. The last one was the most legit. Auburn and LSU were top 10 teams that season.

That Missouri team in 2013 was legitimate, 100% deserving of the SEC label. The fact they came into the conference that strong is worthy of high respect. The games they lost that season were two overtimes against South Carolina and then 59-42 against Auburn in the SECCG.

Last year's 11-3 with a 7-1 SEC mark was a marvelous coaching job, with one glaring exception. Mizzou's personnel losses were staggering. That team could have had DGB, Henry Josey and Kony Ealy. Missouri wasn't even close to competitive against Georgia and Alabama, and the loss to Indiana at home was akin to Jack Crowe losing to The Citadel. Awful.

Fact is, Missouri went on the road and beat TAM and Tennessee in November, when both opponents should have been in their prime. Then the Tigers took advantage of Arkansas's broken QB situation and stole that one too. Mizzou's bowl performance against Minnesota was strong.

They seem to be hitting something of a lull in their talent pipeline, so I wouldn't expect much this season. Missouri might have to evolve as the East gets back on its feet. If, I should say. Georgia seems to have hit a ceiling, Florida is early into rebuilding, and South Carolina's seen its best days. Vanderbilt is a total wreck. Tennessee and Kentucky are the only East rivals that are ascendant.

Nevertheless, the East should return before long to having three contenders that recruit on the highest level. When that happens, Missouri will have a hard time winning the East anymore.
[CENSORED]!

mizzouman

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 20, 2015, 09:45:58 am
Arkansas won the SEC West in 1995, 1998 (tie, lost tiebreaker to MSU), 2002 (three-way tie for second, when Bama was first but on probation), and 2006. The last one was the most legit. Auburn and LSU were top 10 teams that season.

That Missouri team in 2013 was legitimate, 100% deserving of the SEC label. The fact they came into the conference that strong is worthy of high respect. The games they lost that season were two overtimes against South Carolina and then 59-42 against Auburn in the SECCG.

Last year's 11-3 with a 7-1 SEC mark was a marvelous coaching job, with one glaring exception. Mizzou's personnel losses were staggering. That team could have had DGB, Henry Josey and Kony Ealy. Missouri wasn't even close to competitive against Georgia and Alabama, and the loss to Indiana at home was akin to Jack Crowe losing to The Citadel. Awful.

Fact is, Missouri went on the road and beat TAM and Tennessee in November, when both opponents should have been in their prime. Then the Tigers took advantage of Arkansas's broken QB situation and stole that one too. Mizzou's bowl performance against Minnesota was strong.

They seem to be hitting something of a lull in their talent pipeline, so I wouldn't expect much this season. Missouri might have to evolve as the East gets back on its feet. If, I should say. Georgia seems to have hit a ceiling, Florida is early into rebuilding, and South Carolina's seen its best days. Vanderbilt is a total wreck. Tennessee and Kentucky are the only East rivals that are ascendant.

Nevertheless, the East should return before long to having three contenders that recruit on the highest level. When that happens, Missouri will have a hard time winning the East anymore.
Agree.  This might be a down year.  But, we have a lot in the pipeline they just don't have experience.  WR are the best we've had from purely an athletic point of view, but they have never played.  So, we'll see how they react.

Mauk should be 100%, at least to start, so he should be much more consistent.  Playing with a separated throwing shoulder the last 7-8 games doesn't help.  But, that's no excuse.  He was very inconsistent and really only showed up in the 4th quarter, bad shoulder or not.

RazrRila99

Until the rest of the SEC East gets its act together its going to be Georgia (unless they choke like the last two years) and Mizzou (who will be consistent).  It pains me to say this, but Mizzou really is the most consistent of the East.  Yes, the last two seasons have laid out VERY well for them with no Bama, Aub, LSU.  One thing you cant fault them is the lay out of the schedule.  We constantly complain about the brutality of our schedule always getting the East teams as they are up instead of down.  That sword cuts both ways.  They did afterall beat us the last regular season game when they HAD to win the game to win the east. 

Yes, Mizzou has been LUCKY - (they were prepared to take the opportunity when it presented itself).  Dang that was hard to write.  Muck Fizzou.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: mizzouman on August 20, 2015, 12:21:57 pm
Agree.  This might be a down year.  But, we have a lot in the pipeline they just don't have experience.  WR are the best we've had from purely an athletic point of view, but they have never played.  So, we'll see how they react.

I can't imagine that you could possibly have a better group of receivers than you had a couple years ago with Washington, Lucas, DGB, etc.  Those guys were the real deal.

Horsesrus

Pinkel has certainly raised awareness of the program in St Louis, but they are still a clear fourth behind the three professional teams in town even with being in the SEC.  There just isn't a lot of coverage locally although it's gone to some from practically none before Pinkel turned things around.  They can move up to number three if the Rams leave which would probably be a very good thing for Mizzou.  They might even be able to raise donation minimums to get season tickets.  It's incredible how low they are and I also believe the students get most of a whole side of the stadium. 

I've lived in St Louis my entire 48 years and the dry spell from the early 80s to 2002 in Columbia was enough to lose a whole generation's interest.

Biggus Piggus

Gawd it happened again last night. Painfully boring and ridiculously trivial scrimmage recap from some Missouri fan. They are trying to monopolize the show.
[CENSORED]!

Uncommon

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 21, 2015, 01:03:31 pm
Gawd it happened again last night. Painfully boring and ridiculously trivial scrimmage recap from some Missouri fan. They are trying to monopolize the show.
Least it was better than the Georgia fan claiming we were going to basically lose every game this season.

Philip Seaton

Quote from: Uncommon on August 19, 2015, 04:41:45 pm
They have to do their Rodney Dangerfield "Get No Respect" routine because almost everyone that's not a Missouri fan, myself included, feel like:
A. They slid through the back door and won the SEC East last season.  Georgia was clearly the better team but choked against Florida and South Carolina.

B. They'll be as high as 3rd in the SEC East this season even after winning the division the last 2 seasons.

But because most feel like this, they make the phone calls.  Although some of our fans are guilty of this as well.

I think the mentality that CBB brings is starting to rub off on fans more. I see less and less of this "poor lil Arkansaw" thing and, more and more confident swagger. It may be just me, but I have noticed it.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Uncommon on August 21, 2015, 01:07:50 pm
Least it was better than the Georgia fan claiming we were going to basically lose every game this season.

I missed that one. Didn't miss the College Football Matrix guy who models everything off recruiting rankings + therefore concluded that Arkansas's toast. In his system, "coaching effect" is the difference between recruiting rankings and outcomes. So he's never wrong!

He probably gets away with it because such a system will inherently be right about the very best football programs. Who cares if it can't tell the difference between teams 11-70.
[CENSORED]!

Uncommon

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 21, 2015, 01:20:39 pm
I missed that one. Didn't miss the College Football Matrix guy who models everything off recruiting rankings + therefore concluded that Arkansas's toast. In his system, "coaching effect" is the difference between recruiting rankings and outcomes. So he's never wrong!

He probably gets away with it because such a system will inherently be right about the very best football programs. Who cares if it can't tell the difference between teams 11-70.
It was very early in the show.  As far as the CFB Matrix guy, I laughed so dang hard at the stat that Georgia is the only program that is Top 10 in recruiting and producing NFL players not to win a national championship since 2000.  Just shows how inducement of hair pulling it must be to be a Georgia fan when you have the talent every year but your team always f!@#s up for a game or two during the season and it costs you a chance at the title.  Maybe the stars will align for them soon.  At least Richt is somewhat off the hot seat.  Being a Southern religious man can get you some extra job security if you're a head coach in the SEC.  Same thing goes in Texas if Art Briles somehow survives this recent atrocity.

SharpTusk

Isn't it simply more likely that Missouri fans have nothing better to do than be Phyllis wannabes?
Writer on  hog database

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 21, 2015, 01:03:31 pm

I work with some Dallas radio station folks...and they have screeners. Doesn't Paul have screener? Or, are all the other callers from Alabama, Mississippi and Georgia too busy with their BBQs to call?
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork