Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Have Expectations Cooled

Started by hogcard1964, August 19, 2015, 04:05:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Augustus

Quote from: Cavtastic Voyage on August 19, 2015, 07:42:39 pm
This may be the dumbest thing ever written on this message board.

Given the content of your own post, directly above what you call the "dumbest thing ever..."

I'm not sure you should be talking. Glass houses & whatnot.

bphi11ips

Not a bit here, but I've been saying since he committed that Rawleigh Williams is seriously underrated.

I feel awful for J-Will.  That is all. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: jlhogfan on August 19, 2015, 08:11:35 pm
Nope.  We still win the West

LOL. You srs?

BA will have to pass for around 30 TDs and throw <5 INTs for that to happen. And that was before JWill went down leaving us with an unproven backfield.

Svrdhd

Quote from: lefty08 on August 19, 2015, 07:43:34 pm
I also take that as a compliment from someone who has made all of 50 posts

Just pointing out what I'm sure many have already observed, here on HV there is frequently a high inverse correlation between post count and substance. And there have been a couple of recent 'low post count' members that have really raised the bar.

BTW, I'm not one of those.

I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

JaketheSnake

When was the last time a SECW champ had a QB Throw 30+TDs and under 5ints?  And we do have a RB with 2,000+ yards in his career right now.  All is not lost.
Quote from: CFB_Fanatic on August 19, 2015, 10:41:18 pm
LOL. You srs?

BA will have to pass for around 30 TDs and throw <5 INTs for that to happen. And that was before JWill went down leaving us with an unproven backfield.
LOL. You srs?

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: JaketheSnake on August 19, 2015, 10:47:36 pm
When was the last time a SECW champ had a QB Throw 30+TDs and under 5ints?  And we do have a RB with 2,000+ yards in his career right now.  All is not lost.

Im just gonna guess Tim Tebow. Since then not sure about AJ McCarron but pretty sure he also had Heisman trophy winners in the backfield.

lefty08

Quote from: Svrdhd on August 19, 2015, 10:45:54 pm
Just pointing out what I'm sure many have already observed, here on HV there is frequently a high inverse correlation between post count and substance. And there have been a couple of recent 'low post count' members that have really raised the bar.

BTW, I'm not one of those.

If you consider his posts raising the bar..........i wanna welcome you in from the SEC Rant.  We are glad to have you here
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

goodguytex

My predictions and expectations originally were 9-3 and 10 with a bowl win in something like the Cotton or capital one bowl. Then as the preseason got closer and closer I started upping my expectations to possibly only losing one and winning the west. With Jwills injury I am tempering my expectations a bit to 10 wins regular season. So losing the experience Jwill provides at the position may cost us one game. I'm gonna guess against LSU or Tennessee. I hope I'm wrong though and we go undefeated. But if the Hogs end the season with 10 wins or more I will be on every happy, proud Hog fan.

Youngsta71701

I still say best case scenario 10-2, worst case scenario 7-5, reality (not to optimistic) scenario 8-4.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Pigsknuckles

Tepid is a good word. From the content of this, and some of the other related threads, I would also like to throw out the word "turbid".
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

LRHawg

I'm going to stick with my 8 win prediction until some questions are answered. Not by our team but by Bama and other teams with brand new QB's and other key positions with questions unanswered. The SEC is going to be really un-predictable this year, I think. Probably no clear leader until late, and we will probably only get one team in the playoffs again, due to conference attrition.

memphishog

It does seem from a media perspective that the trendy "surprise" or "dark horse" that was squarely focused on Arkansas the last few weeks has cooled. but at some point what more can you say. We are still 2 weeks out from a kick-off and there are still pages on sites and in papers and magazines that need filled. I heard a segment on a regional radio show here in florida yesterday about LSU losing their senior safety and the talking-head made a case for the wheels coming off of LSU's season because his absence in the auburn and MSU games would be critical. its all hot air until sept 5, and even then there should be no polls until october.

bottom line: I feel horrible for JWill, his injury will impact him personally more than it will the team's production. Expectations should not cool.

WPS

scruf

LOL. You srs?

Unproven backfield? Have you seen AC? He might get 20-25 carries a game.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Augustus on August 19, 2015, 09:16:51 pm
Given the content of your own post, directly above what you call the "dumbest thing ever..."

I'm not sure you should be talking. Glass houses & whatnot.
+1 sir exactly what i thought when i read that little combo of posts, SMH

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Cavtastic Voyage on August 19, 2015, 07:38:38 pm
I'm not trying to be a jerk but there's no way I can say this without everyone thinking I am. Everyone talks about how much a leader Jonathan Williams is. Based on what? Because Beliema said he was after he was out for season. You people understand that's a nice thing a coach says when a players career is done here. Some people act like "leadership" from a guy who isn't going to be playing is literally going to win us games. These are college athletes. They want to win. Having Williams around is a positive don't get me wrong, but these guys don't need extra encouragement to play hard and win games.
Based on his body of work since he committed to being a Hog, CBB didn't have to say a word and people who pay attention know he is a leader. You are absolutely wrong, there is a 180 degree dynamic difference between what leadership/instruction a proven winner who is a peer on the sideline and in the meeting rooms can provide vs. your coaches. Especially when he does not have to worry about preparing himself to play.

Hogarusa

I have not seen expectations cooled
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

GuvHog

No change here. Last night on the SEC TV preview, one of the experts picked Arkansas as 1 of four SEC teams that have a legit shot at making the National Championship playoffs.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

bigdogbitting

Sorry to see JWill hurt not because of the loss of games we might have  but because he is such a quality young man. I was wishing him a great senior season just because he has worked so hard and he deserved it. I still see us as a 9-3 team or 10-2 depends on BA and how he plays. Rushing numbers will work out because the system is built to sustain those yards.
But then what do I know I only have 30 or so post so according to some here I dont know anything til i have posted at least hundreds of trivial posts   Wooooooo Piiiiiiiig

lefty08

Quote from: bigdogbitting on August 20, 2015, 09:39:59 am
Sorry to see JWill hurt not because of the loss of games we might have  but because he is such a quality young man. I was wishing him a great senior season just because he has worked so hard and he deserved it. I still see us as a 9-3 team or 10-2 depends on BA and how he plays. Rushing numbers will work out because the system is built to sustain those yards.
But then what do I know I only have 30 or so post so according to some here I dont know anything til i have posted at least hundreds of trivial posts   Wooooooo Piiiiiiiig

I'm sure you are talking about my post, and I'm also sure it wasn't taken in context. I've got zero problems with new posters. My post was called the dumbest ever post on this website by a guy with 50 posts. I guess that means I win the "forever history of this site" since he got here.

Keep posting, it's good stuff you are adding to the board and it's welcome
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Biggus Piggus

People who never saw batmanfan can't proclaim a post to be the dumbest ever.
[CENSORED]!

pfrg999

We are a team no one wants to play regardless of the Jwill injury... Nasty DLine, The Great Wall of Hog O-Line, A skilled veteran QB, 3 maybe 4 RB's (Still) that can all rush for 1000+ yards, Solid BallHog LB's, Upgraded WR's and Secondary...Tough, Bruising Team that believes they can whip any team anywhere.. so The sky is still the Limit. We may win 5 or we may win 10 or even 12 depending on how the ball bounces, and who gets hurt where.. Especially in this league... However We ARE the team nobody wants to play!   (For the record we probably win 8 or 9 IMHO)
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

hawginbigd1

OUCH :( Dave Bartoo from CFB matrix just picked us to be bottom feeders on Finebaum with MSU! Biggest reason? Arkansas QB play is poor, and depth is not as good as others in the west.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on August 20, 2015, 05:24:34 pm
OUCH :( Dave Bartoo from CFB matrix just picked us to be bottom feeders on Finebaum with MSU! Biggest reason? Arkansas QB play is poor, and depth is not as good as others in the west.

Then they're thinking last year was a fluke.  I don't think a lot of people see it that way, and we're going to see who's right or wrong.  We whipped some people physically last year, and we were so close to beating TAMU and Bama that I think most people have forgotten how well we did play in most of our games.   

The panic over a bad day by BA and losing JWill is expected.  It would be the same thing if we play the first half extremely vanilla against UTEP, and then turn to page 3 of the playbook in the second half and run off and leave them.  You'll still have people saying we stink and we should blow them off the field with every play being a dive over guard. 

I have no idea how practices were being run before the scrimmage Saturday, but if BA hadn't had ANY pressure put on him up to that point, and then suddenly the D line is in his face on every play, that's enough to cause some timing issues.  I'm just not ready to worry about that yet.  With that many months without facing true pressure, it's not that much of a shock to me for him to struggle.

What will irk some fans will be if BA has a few bad performances, makes unforced errors, and CBB doesn't give someone else a chance.  I don't think BA has any mental demons, but with this much experience, if he struggles...then there's really not an excuse.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: TheRazorback500 on August 19, 2015, 07:56:04 pm
No cool down here. I'm standing by my original prediction of a 9-3 regular season. Woopig.

:razorback:

Same here... I hope we might even get to a real good bowl with that record due to league losses from beating up on each other. This is gonna be one of those brutal years where everyone is guffawing at how the SEC is down until after bowl season when a whole lot of "shut the hell up" is dealt out on the field.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Biggus Piggus

Glad to see every one of these.
[CENSORED]!

PorkSoda

us and msu?  about the only teams in the SEC with senior QB's?

my guess is DB is well... a DB.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

770john111

Don't forget those tight ends. We'll be fine

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 20, 2015, 09:59:35 am
People who never saw batmanfan can't proclaim a post to be the dumbest ever.
MRCoolHog anyone?

Hawgzinbowlz

8-9 wins, before and after JWill. Our D is salty.

" GO HOGS "

Hogsfan1981

It is going to hurt...how much is really hard to tell. Someone has to step up. Lets just hope Collins is ready. You had two work horses sharing the load now I am guessing Collins will be taking on most of the weight.

What if other guys can't produce and Collins is out there %70 of the time...he is not use to taking it all on. We will see if he has any real help. Hopefully he will shine.

To say it won't affect us at all. I don't see how anyone could say that. It has and it will. How much is still to be seen. If pass protection is as bad as people seem to think it is and every defense just focuses on Collins every time he touches the ball. It could be a long year for a one dimensional offense.

Hopefully we will just be able to run over every team but if we can't get a passing game going its going to be trench warfare out there. We need someone for defenses to prepare for instead of 1. Collins 2. Henry.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Augustus on August 19, 2015, 05:12:46 pm
Not really. I had always projected our losses to come from the Teams with the QB's that will most likely give our Defense the most trouble, namely:  A&M, Auburn, and Miss State.

I know Tenn should fit this bill as well, but I'm still thinking we win in Knoxville.

Losing Jwill definitely hurts, but we are still solid at RB.  I'm still looking at 9-3.
technically speaking, you are predicting the Hogs lose three games as the home team...don't think we lose to MSU nor AU nor Aggy
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

westside_player

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Augustus on August 19, 2015, 05:12:46 pm
Not really. I had always projected our losses to come from the Teams with the QB's that will most likely give our Defense the most trouble, namely:  A&M, Auburn, and Miss State.

Don't understand that at all. This defense will be best against the pass. Auburn will be hard to stop because of its running game + play-action passing. But TAM and MSU are going to have real problems stopping Arkansas's pass rush, and the pass coverage is getting really good now too.

I'd be more concerned about opponents with very strong running games, though don't expect anybody to look awesome against this Arkansas defense.
[CENSORED]!

MikePiazza

Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 21, 2015, 01:42:27 pm
Who do you believe we'll lose against?

Every conference game but Mississippi State and Mizzou?

I don't see how they don't win 2 of these 4: Texas A&M, Tennessee, Ole Miss, or LSU.

Honestly 8-4 is the general consensus. Anything less than 7-5 shouldn't be tolerated. 9-3 would be great.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

Southern Hogspitality

Nick Chubb says no! 

Losing JWill is brutual but only because I love the way he runs the ball.  Collins and Walker will do great and Williams will be a nice added spice, like Marshall was supposed to be.  I am glad that JWill leadership will still be on the sidelines during games this season.  I am still thinking 9 wins, possibly 10.

hogcard1964

Quote from: MikePiazza on August 21, 2015, 01:53:10 pm
Every conference game but Mississippi State and Mizzou?

I don't see how they don't win 2 of these 4: Texas A&M, Tennessee, Ole Miss, or LSU.

Honestly 8-4 is the general consensus. Anything less than 7-5 shouldn't be tolerated. 9-3 would be great.

I think we're still much better than that.  We're going to hurt teams up front.

Boarmonger

LOL. You srs?

Seriously?  Last year's production wins the West if the Defense gells earlier in the season.  I think that will happen this year.  This year's team will be about the defense not the offense.  The offense wins them while the defense gells and then lookout.

code red

I think we could potentially go 10-2 with J Will.  The thing that concerns me is our pass blocking with our existing backs.  If Kody Walker is in on every 3 and 7 it's gonna tip the defense.  Kody got to hang on to the ball.  The thing that J Will brought is a lot of YAC yards and his eyes were great at finding creases.  To say we won't miss a beat I think is....well...extreme positive thinking.  I see us as a 8-4 or 7-5 team...unless BA has drastically improved.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

Quote from: Boarmonger on August 21, 2015, 02:24:00 pm
Seriously?  Last year's production wins the West if the Defense gells earlier in the season.  I think that will happen this year.  This year's team will be about the defense not the offense.  The offense wins them while the defense gells and then lookout.
Our Linebacker play will be the key....we are awful young and not very deep.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

alohawg

My annual cautiously optimistic approach hasn't changed......much. JWill is an exceptional talent with experience, of course he will be missed and even with an equally exceptional talented replacement plugged in (RWIII hypothetically), there's no substitute for experience.
To say there will be no impact is wrong. The only question is- will that impact cost games? No ones knows yet. I will say this, overall some areas other than RB are stronger than last year and some we just don't know. The defense is where I think the tale will be told in 2015.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Boarmonger

Quote from: code red on August 21, 2015, 02:34:24 pm
Our Linebacker play will be the key....we are awful young and not very deep.

Completely agree.  I'm just betting that the O gives them time to grow up.

Dugann

By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

reddogjcss

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: alohawg on August 21, 2015, 02:38:37 pm
My annual cautiously optimistic approach hasn't changed......much. JWill is an exceptional talent with experience, of course he will be missed and even with an equally exceptional talented replacement plugged in (RWIII hypothetically), there's no substitute for experience.
To say there will be no impact is wrong. The only question is- will that impact cost games? No ones knows yet. I will say this, overall some areas other than RB are stronger than last year and some we just don't know. The defense is where I think the tale will be told in 2015.
aw come on, Alohawg. Has the cautiously optimistic gig worked yet ? Has the forever "woe is Arkansas" talk won us the SEC championship in football yet ?  Let it go, man. You live in paradise, you already have life by the sack. So go ahead, drink the cardinal kool-aid mixed with the white sugar drank out of the anthracite cups.  Just let  go and enjoy the ride. Its just like flying on an airplane from Honolulu to DFW, your thoughts of not having a plane crash aren't what's keeping the plane at 35,000 feet, its the damn jet engines doing the work. Let's jump on the Razorback Rocket, light this big candle and the next stop? The moon, my man.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.