Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Have Expectations Cooled

Started by hogcard1964, August 19, 2015, 04:05:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogcard1964

...after the injury this past weekend?  Not flaming, it just seems a bit more tepid around here.

Personally, I really hope the rest of the country feels that we've fallen off after J. Will's injury.

hawginbigd1

Not me, I think he was our best player, but from a position we were most able to lose one. I think our national outlook is going to be much lowered which is a good thing.

HogFansReunited

I said 8-4 before J Will hurt his foot and I am going to stick with that prediction.  I really think that we will be fine at the running back position.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

elksnort

No.

My concern on offense is with the receivers. Hopefully Dominique Reed will alleviate this concern.

My concern on defense is with the linebackers. Will someone step up like Spaight did?

Losing JWill is not good, but I don't think it will have much to do about W-Ls.

gmarv

not by me it hasn,t,gonna be a fun year.

Music City Hog

I was at 8-4 regular season and I'll change it to 7-5.

You can't throw a 260lb fullback in and replace what JWill gives you. I think it adds up to a game over the course of the season.

dsgreen

No, you never want an injury, but that is the position we could most be ok with.  I am glad the national expectations may have cooled, always seems easier without the target.

FWF79

8-4 is my updated projection.   I was 9-3 after getting caught up in the preseason hype that I always do.
I am coming to the realization that Enos might be great, but he is not a magician.   I will just leave it at that and hope I am proven wrong. 

reddogjcss

No cooling for me. The RBs in line will step up. They got Jwills back, I think one of the others will get over 1,000. I also think it's going to be running back by committee and we going to have fresh running backs for all four quarter and overtime if needed. Passing game is going to take heat off running game.
We will have two receivers near 1,000,
Have you seen REED he will be a pro receiver, Hat and Reed going to make running easy. That's not even considering our big time talented tight end corp.

PorkSoda

8-4 was my original prediction.  as the offseason wore on, as usual I had convinced my self a little at a time that we could win the SEC. 

I still think that is a possibility, but that depends on how well our other backs pick up the slack, because we all know Jwill was going to be our work horse this season.

so to answer the question, yeah I have cooled back towards my original prediction.  the SEC West is so tight and unpredictable right now, its hard to tell.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

choppedporkextrasauce

Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 19, 2015, 04:05:14 pm
...after the injury this past weekend?  Not flaming, it just seems a bit more tepid around here.

Personally, I really hope the rest of the country feels that we've fallen off after J. Will's injury.

Why should they cool? This is an opportunity for a young back to step in and up.

FWF79

I sure hope Reed is all that is advertised and I am super pumped about our tight end group.  I just do not have confidence in BA.   Hope I am wrong, but he is going to have to show me he can come from behind and win one late in the game and actually go through his progressions because I am tired of hearing all the excuses.     

870hogfan

scruf

Yes, expectations are cool. Rad, even.

MikePiazza

Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

scruf

0-12   Regular Season (worst case)
12-0   Regular Season (best case) + J-Will returns for the playoffs

Phil D

Nope I thought 9-3 before and that hasn't changed. :razorback:
GO HOGS!!!!!!

scruf

Quote from: Phil D on August 19, 2015, 05:08:04 pm
Nope I thought 9-3 before and that hasn't changed. :razorback:
same

Augustus

Not really. I had always projected our losses to come from the Teams with the QB's that will most likely give our Defense the most trouble, namely:  A&M, Auburn, and Miss State.

I know Tenn should fit this bill as well, but I'm still thinking we win in Knoxville.

Losing Jwill definitely hurts, but we are still solid at RB.  I'm still looking at 9-3.

jkstock04

Not for me...I still view this as a 7/8 win season. 8 if we can win at Tennessee.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

duckman

9-3 or better...

Rawleigh Williams III will shine, JWill has taken him under his wing, couldn't have a better mentor.

hoghiker

It's a downer for me. Can't lie. I think losing JWill might mean a game here or there that we lose that we might have won with him.  I probably needed to scale back my expectations. They really were getting Razorback Red. Won't change my being a Hog fan. I'll watch every game with the expectation we win. Go Hogs. Woo Pig!

hogcard1964

Hogsmo Kramer

Had us down for 8-9 wins with a possibility of 10.

I'm still at 8-9 but without JWill I just don't see 10 as a serious possibility anymore.

I'd love to be wrong though.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

Razoryak

8-4 with a bowl win was my prediction before and it hasn't changed  :razorback:
Woo Pig

Chestodrawers

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on August 19, 2015, 05:57:19 pm
Had us down for 8-9 wins with a possibility of 10.

I'm still at 8-9 but without JWill I just don't see 10 as a serious possibility anymore.

I'd love to be wrong though.
I agree. JWill would have been the difference in one of the games the smart guys would call a loss for us. But still get 8 or 9 wins.

widespreadsooie

I said 10 wins before and now think 8 or 9. There will be a game or two when the running game and general offense isn't up to snuff and we will wonder if J Will could have made a difference.

duckman

I absolutely hate losing JWill, but I sleep a little better watching this....

Overtheroadtruckdriver

I'm perdicting 11-1 with the one loss being against the dirtiest cheatingest Alabama team we've ever seen with plenty of help from the cheating refs.  I think our offensive line is going to blow open some holes I could run through and I think our defense is gonna bruise up everbody good and proper.

lefty08

Quote from: choppedporkextrasauce on August 19, 2015, 04:43:51 pm
Why should they cool? This is an opportunity for a young back to step in and up.

Because Arkansas fans are used to having a fragile program. Thing is, Bielema's Razorbacks arent what we are used to seeing here. This team isnt fragile like we have come to expect them to be, 1 guy cannot topple this program. The attitude there now is next man up, and thats what I expect to happen completely. Im still at 8-4 with hopes for more, but our Road/Home schedule is terrible
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Theolesnort

August 19, 2015, 06:42:17 pm #30 Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 07:47:26 am by Theolesnort
Best player? No, but by example he was one of our more important players and his leadership will be missed. What some of our people don't seem to understand is that we have now transitioned to being a Bret Bielema team. Our best players are in the trenches both on the defensive and offensive sides. That is where it starts and the rest is just the icing on the cake. This team is still big strong and getting deeper in all areas as we go along. My expectations are still the same as they were a week ago. We will be a major player in the fight for the SEC crown because we are not going to be intimidated physically by anyone. If Brandon steps it up we will be right there.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Cavtastic Voyage

I feel like a lot of people talk about losing Williams and forget that we aren't going to lose all of his assumed production. Say he rushed for 1000 this year. Well RWIII gets 600, Kody Walker gets 300, and Collins get 100 more than he would've. There you go. That's all feasible and we wouldn't lose any production. As far as entangibles go, Collins will have to step up. Redzone, 3rd down, etc. Same with Allen, and considering we are supposed to focus more on passing game this year that seems very achievable. We have the same Oline and the same Defense. So I have the same expectations.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Cavtastic Voyage on August 19, 2015, 06:45:00 pm
I feel like a lot of people talk about losing Williams and forget that we aren't going to lose all of his assumed production. Say he rushed for 1000 this year. Well RWIII gets 600, Kody Walker gets 300, and Collins get 100 more than he would've. There you go. That's all feasible and we wouldn't lose any production. As far as intangibles go, Collins will have to step up. Redzone, 3rd down, etc. Same with Allen, and considering we are supposed to focus more on passing game this year that seems very achievable. We have the same Oline and the same Defense. So I have the same expectations.

Expect Walker to get a lot more than 300.
[CENSORED]!

Cavtastic Voyage

Not to mention no one is talking about sprinkle or hunter Henry. They are still awesome. We are a good team. We aren't used to that. Aren't used to having to be lucky against good teams. As Kendrick Lamar says "we gon be alright"

Pig In The City

It creates concern but football is a team sport. The only issue is we are one injury away from trouble at that position. If we stay healthy, no problems.

Cavtastic Voyage

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 19, 2015, 06:46:13 pm

Maybe so, I was illustrating a point

Theolesnort

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 19, 2015, 06:46:13 pm
Actually I could see him leading the parade under the right circumstances. One being if he plays in all 12 games and is healthy. Another being if Enos tweaks things in the run game that would emphasize his strengths. But then too, Collins may just buckle down and run wild through the SEC secondaries.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

ricepig

Quote from: Razoryak on August 19, 2015, 06:06:39 pm
8-4 with a bowl win was my prediction before and it hasn't changed  :razorback:

Been mine since spring practice and I always had the caveat of waiting until fall camp was over and see our and our opponents injuries, arrests, and kicked off's. It's still my number today, although I was slowly inching it higher every week.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Music City Hog on August 19, 2015, 04:28:19 pm
I was at 8-4 regular season and I'll change it to 7-5.

You can't throw a 260lb fullback in and replace what JWill gives you. I think it adds up to a game over the course of the season.
Man, you gonna owe that man an apology. Most of you cats are sleepin on Walker.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

urkillnmesmalls

Guys, one of the things that has been talked about regularly is how lucky we've been to have AC and JWill healthy for each of the last two seasons, minus some minor injuries along the way.  The concern is always that with the brutal SEC schedule, the odds of both of them staying healthy are not good.  This year is no different.   

I'm not concerned at this point in terms of losing JWill, although his attitude and leadership will be missed.  BUT...what does concern me is that a big part of why they stayed healthy is because they were well rested by spelling each other in most games.  AC will likely pick up more of the load now, and that's going to expose him to a greater risk of injury.  My hope is that CBB will limit his carries and still work on a similar rotation, and that could very well be the plan.  But...when it really counts and 100% effort is required, it's a safe bet that AC will be the go to back.   

And...the most unfortunate thing is, we are now an injury to AC away from having a really unproven backfield, which is by far the most disconcerting thing about this season since we haven't even started it, and still have the SEC West schedule to play through. 

I'm not scared...but concerned.  I think it's accurate to say we can afford it at this point, but in an offense that is really built around the power run, it definitely hurts to lose a key cog in the wheel.  I think it hurts a little more than some are leading on, but I sincerely hope someone steps up and shocks us all and we don't skip a beat.   :razorback:

Here's to Roland Sales!!!   ;)
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

lefty08

I honestly have taken the approach that JWill left early for the NFL. Not much will be different besides the carries JWIll got in practice that could have went elsewhere. Not sure how much of an affect that would have. In fact, it could actually be even better than that scenario in that he will be there for leadership.

Would you guys trade the few carries in practice for the others for JWill's leadership on the sidelines?  I think i would
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

Cavtastic Voyage

I'm not trying to be a jerk but there's no way I can say this without everyone thinking I am. Everyone talks about how much a leader Jonathan Williams is. Based on what? Because Beliema said he was after he was out for season. You people understand that's a nice thing a coach says when a players career is done here. Some people act like "leadership" from a guy who isn't going to be playing is literally going to win us games. These are college athletes. They want to win. Having Williams around is a positive don't get me wrong, but these guys don't need extra encouragement to play hard and win games.

Cavtastic Voyage

Quote from: lefty08 on August 19, 2015, 07:30:28 pm
I honestly have taken the approach that JWill left early for the NFL. Not much will be different besides the carries JWIll got in practice that could have went elsewhere. Not sure how much of an affect that would have. In fact, it could actually be even better than that scenario in that he will be there for leadership.

Would you guys trade the few carries in practice for the others for JWill's leadership on the sidelines?  I think i would

This may be the dumbest thing ever written on this message board.

lefty08

August 19, 2015, 07:43:34 pm #43 Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 08:00:52 pm by lefty08
Quote from: Cavtastic Voyage on August 19, 2015, 07:42:39 pm
This may be the dumbest thing ever written on this message board.

So much for not trying to be a jerk.........lol

I also take that as a compliment from someone who has made all of 50 posts

Ive finally made it!

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: Cavtastic Voyage on August 19, 2015, 06:45:00 pm
I feel like a lot of people talk about losing Williams and forget that we aren't going to lose all of his assumed production. Say he rushed for 1000 this year. Well RWIII gets 600, Kody Walker gets 300, and Collins get 100 more than he would've. There you go. That's all feasible and we wouldn't lose any production. As far as entangibles go, Collins will have to step up. Redzone, 3rd down, etc. Same with Allen, and considering we are supposed to focus more on passing game this year that seems very achievable. We have the same Oline and the same Defense. So I have the same expectations.
So you're saying that if JWill was not hurt RWIII and Kody would get 0?  If they only replace his production they would not be replacing their own (pre injury) production.  To truly replace JWill and keep their own production they'd need an extra 100 to 300 yards probably.  I know I'm nitpicking here - so don't take offense.  I'm just pointing out that those players (at least Walker anyway) were going to play even if JWill had not suffered the injury.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

TheRazorback500

No cool down here. I'm standing by my original prediction of a 9-3 regular season. Woopig.

:razorback:

Do you wanna get Rocked?

HogWall Jackson

Enthusiasm has diminished a little but expectations remain high. I really enjoyed watching J-Will and the effort he put forth while running for the tough yards. I will miss watching him, but expect our team to win 8 or 9 Regular Season Games. We could bump up a bit if the WRs really come through stretching the field. I think we will see multiple TE sets in the Offense too.

I expect an enjoyable year! ;)

jlhogfan

Cavtastic Voyage

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on August 19, 2015, 07:48:46 pm
So you're saying that if JWill was not hurt RWIII and Kody would get 0?  If they only replace his production they would not be replacing their own (pre injury) production.  To truly replace JWill and keep their own production they'd need an extra 100 to 300 yards probably.  I know I'm nitpicking here - so don't take offense.  I'm just pointing out that those players (at least Walker anyway) were going to play even if JWill had not suffered the injury.

Not much more, I don't think with J Will not hurt we would rush for 3000yrds this season.

JaketheSnake

IMO, the success of this season has been more about the QB than any RB on the team.  I think people are down as much bc of BA's performance as much as J-Will's injury.