Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best sports logos of all time

Started by WizardofhOgZ, August 18, 2015, 09:25:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WizardofhOgZ

Just ran across this.  It's a couple of years old, but the topic is pretty static . . . classic sports logos don't change much over time.

Glad to see that we're one of the few colleges included in this list - as we should be.

http://www.complex.com/style/2013/03/the-25-best-athletic-logos-of-all-time/

hogcard1964

Doug

I've reached out to the author to let him know who was responsible for the 1964 logo. :)

EDIT: Also provided him with the actual 1964 logo, as well.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

MountainHomeHogger

How did the Chicago Blackhawks not makes the list?.

dbhog

Hate to see the Shorthorns in the top 10.

The_Iceman

hogcard1964

We do have a classic.  That's why I despise all of these new look helmets that we have to suffer through every few years.

Ex-Trumpet

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

HogShat

sowmonella

Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 18, 2015, 10:23:29 am
We do have a classic.  That's why I despise all of these new look helmets that we have to suffer through every few years.

I agree 100%
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Piggage

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on August 18, 2015, 10:27:01 am
I always liked this one...

Nah...If you have to explain it, it loses some of its impact. Like telling a joke you have to explain.

The_Iceman

I personally like the Toronto Raptors purple logo. Plus, who couldn't love their mascot:

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: Piggage on August 18, 2015, 11:07:35 am
Nah...If you have to explain it, it loses some of its impact. Like telling a joke you have to explain.

That logo has always given me Clockwork Orange flashbacks.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 18, 2015, 10:23:29 am

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Outside of our program, people recognize the Hog - so why mess with it?  Unless anyone really thinks we're going to move up from #3 to #1, it is beyond stupid to screw around with such an iconic brand.

I'll admit up front that I can't back this up with hard proof, but I'd bet that our helmet is among the top 5 most recognizable in all of college football (to a random sampling of "college football fans", regardless of their location or loyalty).  That is, the RED helmet with the white Hog on it that we've used the last 50 years.

jvanhorn

Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 18, 2015, 09:29:58 am
The best:

and most arrogant fans on the planet.  Baseball's answer to the Texas Longhorns.  Doesn't everybody realize we are gods chosen and are entitled, LOL>

jvanhorn

Quote from: HogShat on August 18, 2015, 10:32:37 am
Hail to the Redskins!!! +1!

Obviously doesn't have any native American blood running thru his veins, LOL

RME

Quote from: jvanhorn on August 18, 2015, 04:18:00 pm
and most arrogant fans on the planet.  Baseball's answer to the Texas Longhorns.  Doesn't everybody realize we are gods chosen and are entitled, LOL>

Someone has obviously never ventured to the northeast.

Seebs

Not a big Hockey fan but I always likied this logo

To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Piggage on August 18, 2015, 11:07:35 am

What's to explain?  Folks still recognize this logo as the Montreal Expos...and they haven't had baseball there in years!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Oklahawg

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on August 18, 2015, 04:35:33 pm
What's to explain?  Folks still recognize this logo as the Montreal Expos...and they haven't had baseball there in years!

A guy I play softball with played with the Expos. Still wears a hat to batting practice sometimes!
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

Pig in the Pokey

Texas, Notre Dame, and Arkansas are the only three college logos on that list. Pretty solid right there.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Doug on August 18, 2015, 09:46:08 am
I've reached out to the author to let him know who was responsible for the 1964 logo. :)

EDIT: Also provided him with the actual 1964 logo, as well.
good ole johnny, my guy. yeah i know him, too.

@Slackaveli

sickboy

Quote from: MountainHomeHogger on August 18, 2015, 09:51:12 am
How did the Chicago Blackhawks not makes the list?.

Blackhawks have the best logo ever in my opinion.

threeNout

22 professional teams and only 3 college teams,  Arkansas, Texas and Notre Dame,  interesting.

theFlyingHog

jvanhorn

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on August 18, 2015, 06:58:31 pm
Texas, Notre Dame, and Arkansas are the only three college logos on that list. Pretty solid right there.

I always thought that the interlocking OU than Jim McKenzie put on Oklahoma's helmets was classy and classic.  Still do.   

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on August 18, 2015, 10:27:01 am
I always liked this one...

When I was a kid, I never could figure out how "elb" stood for Montreal. I figured it was a French Canadian thing. Haha.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Seebs

Quote from: The Chief on August 20, 2015, 04:32:08 am
When I was a kid, I never could figure out how "elb" stood for Montreal. I figured it was a French Canadian thing. Haha.

I thought he exact same thing. Still made fun of to this day. Finally, I am not alone.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

hogcard1964

Yes we are. We've earned that respect. I take it you've never attempted to watch a game and carry on a baseball related conversation with a Cub fan inside Wrigley Field? Far and away the most uneducated sports fans in any sport.  "Yea, we've sucked for 110  years, but our stadium used to be nice."

Albert Einswine

I love the white helmet with the red Razorback logo. Wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit if we wore it all the time. I like the red helmet, but I've always felt that the white Razorback is weak sauce. Just doesn't convey what the red Hog does.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

"Pickled" Pig's Pete

Quote from: salebow on November 27, 2011, 08:39:55 pm
It made be a forum, but spelling and punctuation tell a lot about a person. Also, I usually post from my iPhone, too. I don't have a problem with using good spelling and punctuation.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: jvanhorn on August 20, 2015, 03:53:10 am
I always thought that the interlocking OU than Jim McKenzie put on Oklahoma's helmets was classy and classic.  Still do.

Far classier than what they had.  And one of the reasons is that it was a copy of OUR helmet design.

And it still is . . . a copy.

Cinco de Hogo

I know it's just one guys opinion but it's still an honor to be ranked with those other logo's and it confirms what we already know.

Sow Lancelot

and most arrogant fans on the planet.

Yankee fans would disagree. And Reds fans.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

Iwastherein1969

I can see the Blue Star of Big D and the NY Yankees logo being 1 and 1A...everyone else is just some person's opinion

ad: No matter what you say, no one is indifferent to these two teams. They are either hated or loved but they are the standard by which all other sports organizations are measured. Love'm or hate'm.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: threeNout on August 18, 2015, 09:14:17 pm
22 professional teams and only 3 college teams,  Arkansas, Texas and Notre Dame,  interesting.

That IS impressive.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Sow Lancelot on August 20, 2015, 06:42:15 pm
Yankee fans would disagree. And Reds fans.

Don't forget the Dodgers and Giants............................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on August 20, 2015, 10:22:50 pm
I can see the Blue Star of Big D and the NY Yankees logo being 1 and 1A...everyone else is just some person's opinion

ad: No matter what you say, no one is indifferent to these two teams. They are either hated or loved but they are the standard by which all other sports organizations are measured. Love'm or hate'm.

ND is the college version of the love or hate measurement. I've not met a person in between. 

Dropkick

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 21, 2015, 12:56:15 pm
Don't forget the Dodgers and Giants............................
Cards fans are definitely the worst IMO.

bondhue

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on August 18, 2015, 06:59:26 pm
it's racist tho
I'm Irish, and though I despise Notre Dame, the mascot is okay. Also, my name is Bill.  Even though my other name is not Buffalo.  Their mascot is okay too.
That's a pretty girl.  I caught her twice.  12.5 pounds.  I hope she's still alive.

Mitch C

Any list on mascots without Otey the Swamp Possum is not complete.

scruf