Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Top 6 Wide outs

Started by Lake City Hog, August 15, 2015, 09:18:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lake City Hog

BB said today that the staff would meet and try to pare down to the top 6 wide outs. He thinks that having those guys and BA working together more will help with timing.
Pick your 6:
18   Cameron Colbert   WR   R-Fr   6-1   205   
1   Jared Cornelius   WR   So   5-11   202   
6   Kendrick Edwards   WR   So   6-5   212   
85   Zack English   WR   Fr   5-8   175   
4   Keon Hatcher   WR   Sr   6-2   210   
14   Eric Hawkins   WR   Jr   5-11   180   
81   Cody Hollister   WR   Jr   6-4   208   
7   Damon Mitchell   WR   So   6-2   207   
80   Drew Morgan   WR   Jr   6-0   195   
16   La'Michael Pettway   WR   Fr   6-2   205   
87   Dominique Reed   WR   Jr   6-3   180   
17   JoJo Robinson   WR   R-Fr   5-11   190   
82   Luke Rossi   WR   R-Fr   5-11   203   
29   Chris Saunders   WR   Jr   5-11   195   
89   Jovante Siglar   WR   Jr   6-2   180   
13   Deon Stewart   WR   Fr   5-11   165

Mine would be:
4   Keon Hatcher   WR   Sr   6-2   210
1   Jared Cornelius   WR   So   5-11   202
80   Drew Morgan   WR   Jr   6-0   195
87   Dominique Reed   WR   Jr   6-3   180 (Until he learns the play book well enough.)
17   JoJo Robinson   WR   R-Fr   5-11   190
6   Kendrick Edwards   WR   So   6-5   212   or  7   Damon Mitchell   WR   So   6-2   207
My 6 in order of 1's and 2's.    

razorback44

4   Keon Hatcher   WR   Sr   6-2   210
1   Jared Cornelius   WR   So   5-11   202
81   Cody Hollister   WR   Jr   6-4   208   
17   JoJo Robinson   WR   R-Fr   5-11   190
87   Dominique Reed   WR   Jr   6-3   180   
7   Damon Mitchell   WR   So   6-2   207
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

lefty08

Quote from: razorback44 on August 15, 2015, 10:07:55 pm

Agreed, in no particular order
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

snoblind

Dang, guess I didn't realize we had that many WR's.

I'd take your list, Lake.  Like the idea of both DuWop and Edwards seeing the field.  And that move that JoJo made today was, ah, freak show.

Murr

16 WRs?  I've got more hope for this team this season now.

Which WR was the Juco that is supposed to be really good?

snoblind

Quote from: Murr on August 15, 2015, 11:06:10 pm

Reed.  Had a couple of drops today, but also made some nice catches.

FATHAWG08

Hatcher
Reed
Jojo
mitchell
Edwards
Cornelius
Pettaway

Woo Pig
I love off season Football!!

razorback44

5 of those are walk-ons that will never play.

ChiTown27

Drew looked real good today..... That's all I'm saying.
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul
can always depend on the support of Paul."

George Bernard Shaw

Augustus

Some of those most likely won't play this year, but the future still looks bright.

And, that's not even talking about our TE's  :)

:razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

scruf

Quote from: razorback44 on August 15, 2015, 11:54:30 pm
5 of those are walk-ons that will never play.
Rossi and Colbert will get a couple of catches for sure, probably Siglar too.

He's nowhere near the top 6 WR on the team but Rossi has a chance to make plays in this offense.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/581958/luke-rossi

Temprees

Quote from: snoblind on August 15, 2015, 11:08:40 pm
Reed.  Had a couple of drops today, but also made some nice catches.
Only one drop.

HOGINTENNESSEE

IMO it's this

Hatcher
Jared
Mitchell
Reed
JoJo
Morgan

JaketheSnake

Imo, Hollister has to be in the top 6.  He played a ton of snaps last year and was pretty consistent.  But idk who gets bumped for him.

B501

Quote from: JaketheSnake on August 16, 2015, 07:28:41 am
Imo, Hollister has to be in the top 6.  He played a ton of snaps last year and was pretty consistent.  But idk who gets bumped for him.

without a doubt. hopefully he mauls some smaller opponents on the outside this year  ;)

lefty08

Imo Hollister is more proven and skilled than Morgan. I guess we will see though
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: lefty08 on August 16, 2015, 07:46:32 am
Imo Hollister is more proven and skilled than Morgan. I guess we will see though

He got more snaps last year and is one of our better blockers. But and the end of last year the seemed to be going in 2 different directions.

Holister no catches in the last 4 games and Morgan with 5 for 84 in the last 4 games

Cinco de Hogo

August 16, 2015, 08:13:51 am #17 Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 08:29:41 am by Cinco de Hogo
If Morgan is not an integral part of our receiving crew we won't have any better of a passing game than we did last year.  You can book that and throw it in my face later if it's not true.

Morgan will be third option on most plays but on a lot of plays 1st and 2nd will be covered.  Morgan is the perfect player to play that role.  If our offensive line can't sustain their block that long and BA can't go thru that progression and make the throw it will be the same ole same ole.

Morgan will catch those balls.

After Hatcher I think we have a lot of interchangeable parts.  I don't know what order they will play in but they will all play except possibly whichever freshman red shirts.

Hollister/Cornelius
Robinson/Reed
Morgan/Hawkins
Mitchell/Edwards
Pettway/Stewart

Folks by my count that is eleven Quailty receivers at least.

NO EXCUSES!

trphog

Hatcher
Reed
Cornelius
Robinson
Morgan
Hollister

onebadrubi

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on August 16, 2015, 08:13:51 am
If Morgan is not an integral part of our receiving crew we won't have any better of a passing game than we did last year.  You can book that and throw it in my face later if it's not true.

Morgan will be third option on most plays but on a lot of plays 1st and 2nd will be covered.  Morgan is the perfect player to play that role.  If our offensive line can't sustain their block that long and BA can't go thru that progression and make the throw it will be the same ole same ole.

After Hatcher I think we have a lot of interchangeable parts.  I don't know what order they will play in but they will all play except possibly whichever freshman red shirts.

Hollister/Cornelius
Robinson/Reed
Morgan/Hawkins
Mitchell/Edwards
Pettway/Stewart

NO EXCUSES!

100% disagree, I think you out JoJo in place of Morgan's name then I agree 100%. 

I'm going to play the game of making a 6 but do it with a different line of thinking. 

Hatcher
j Cornelius
Jojo
Edwards
Duwop
Hollister. 

Then I think reed should be involved in every meeting/drill and I think he will be brought up to speed in the second and third game.  I think by week 4 reed knocks out one of these 6 and solidify's a top 3 WR spot on this team. 

We actually have a very solid high ceiling WR core right now, that's young!

razorback44

Quote from: scruf on August 16, 2015, 02:09:23 am
Rossi and Colbert will get a couple of catches for sure, probably Siglar too.

He's nowhere near the top 6 WR on the team but Rossi has a chance to make plays in this offense.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/581958/luke-rossi

Yeah no they won't.  Not in any type of game that is still undecided at least.

Poker_hog

Quote from: lefty08 on August 15, 2015, 10:19:51 pm
Agreed, in no particular order

Hatcher is clearly a notch above the other guys.  We really need reed to step up and be a playmaker.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: JaketheSnake on August 16, 2015, 07:28:41 am

I don't have trouble coming up with a top 7, but I have no idea how to choose between Mitchell and Hollister. Hollister has the play experience but we were hearing good things about Mitchell recently.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: onebadrubi on August 16, 2015, 09:28:19 am
100% disagree, I think you out JoJo in place of Morgan's name then I agree 100%. 

I'm going to play the game of making a 6 but do it with a different line of thinking. 

Hatcher
j Cornelius
Jojo
Edwards
Duwop
Hollister. 

Then I think reed should be involved in every meeting/drill and I think he will be brought up to speed in the second and third game.  I think by week 4 reed knocks out one of these 6 and solidify's a top 3 WR spot on this team. 

We actually have a very solid high ceiling WR core right now, that's young!

That's all fine as long as you agree with my last statement.  ;)

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: razorback44 on August 15, 2015, 10:07:55 pm
agreed but i'd go with seven just to get Pettway out there! BEASTMODE>
And, I'd really love for Hawkins to take someone's job...
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

WaltonCollege

I think the only 3 we know for sure are Hatcher, Cornelius, Reed

razorback44

August 16, 2015, 11:53:47 am #26 Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 12:16:47 pm by razorback44
This is probably reading WAAAAYYY too much in to it but there are only six WR's scheduled to sign autographs at fan day today.

Hatcher
Cornelius
Reed
Edwards
Robinson
Mitchell

hawgmasta

Quote from: razorback44 on August 16, 2015, 11:53:47 am
This is probably reading WAAAAYYY to much in to it but there are only six WR's scheduled to sign autographs at fan day today.

Hatcher
Cornelius
Reed
Edwards
Robinson
Mitchell

There's your answer then guys!

bennyl08

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on August 16, 2015, 08:13:51 am

Hollister/Cornelius
Robinson/Reed
Morgan/Hawkins
Mitchell/Edwards
Pettway/Stewart

NO EXCUSES!

I think a lot of your interchangables are off. Also, I disagree with you on Morgan.

With the interchangables, Morgan and Hawkins? You are almost comparing Nate Holmes to Kody Walker. Morgan is a low athleticism, high heart kind of player. He isn't too fast, quick, or strong, but he'll stick his nose in and block you, he'll find the open hole in the zone, and he'll make the tough catch at the sideline or while getting drilled. Hawkins is an absolute burner, but has barely even sniffed the field to this point in his career do to a lack of all the things Morgan possesses. Route running, consistent catching, blocking, etc...

Hollister and Cornelius are not interchangeable. If we are playing that game, Hollister and Edwards are because they are both the really tall, possession receiver types. Robinson and Cornelius are interchangeable because they are both the good sized, but with Adams-esque agility type receivers. Mitchell and Reed would then be the big bodied athletic guys, though Mitchell/Edwards isn't a terrible comparison. Also, I'll mostly give you the Pettway/Stewart. I see them more as being Wright/Adams respectively though bigger. Pettway really does remind of Wright. More straightline speed than agility, but with route running and consistent hands. Stewart is similar to Joe in that he is probably quicker than he is fast, but is certainly fast enough.

As for your part about Morgan being successful at the litmus test for our offense that I disagree with, well, I disagree. Morgan reminds me of Denzel Evans but at WR. There is no weakness to his game, he just doesn't have any strengths to his game either. I think our offense will be better off if somebody else jumps him on the depth chart with a higher ceiling. Bielema values consistency and that means that if one of our more athletic receivers bumps him for a starting spot, that they are not only more athletic but also as consistent as he is.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

tophawg19

mitchell could get a look at RB depending on the back ups at that position.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

snoblind

Quote from: Temprees on August 16, 2015, 06:17:48 am
Only one drop.

Great.  Sitting at the other end of the stadium from where the play was taking place we weren't always sure who was who.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 16, 2015, 12:21:35 pm
I think a lot of your interchangables are off. Also, I disagree with you on Morgan.

With the interchangables, Morgan and Hawkins? You are almost comparing Nate Holmes to Kody Walker. Morgan is a low athleticism, high heart kind of player. He isn't too fast, quick, or strong, but he'll stick his nose in and block you, he'll find the open hole in the zone, and he'll make the tough catch at the sideline or while getting drilled. Hawkins is an absolute burner, but has barely even sniffed the field to this point in his career do to a lack of all the things Morgan possesses. Route running, consistent catching, blocking, etc...

Hollister and Cornelius are not interchangeable. If we are playing that game, Hollister and Edwards are because they are both the really tall, possession receiver types. Robinson and Cornelius are interchangeable because they are both the good sized, but with Adams-esque agility type receivers. Mitchell and Reed would then be the big bodied athletic guys, though Mitchell/Edwards isn't a terrible comparison. Also, I'll mostly give you the Pettway/Stewart. I see them more as being Wright/Adams respectively though bigger. Pettway really does remind of Wright. More straightline speed than agility, but with route running and consistent hands. Stewart is similar to Joe in that he is probably quicker than he is fast, but is certainly fast enough.

As for your part about Morgan being successful at the litmus test for our offense that I disagree with, well, I disagree. Morgan reminds me of Denzel Evans but at WR. There is no weakness to his game, he just doesn't have any strengths to his game either. I think our offense will be better off if somebody else jumps him on the depth chart with a higher ceiling. Bielema values consistency and that means that if one of our more athletic receivers bumps him for a starting spot, that they are not only more athletic but also as consistent as he is.

Thanks and no problem, I was trying to think on my feet and bring more to the discussion than just a six man rotation.  On Morgan, until I see another player assert himself into that all important relief valve role with heart and guts he is my man.

As for my interchangeable parts I was trying to think of the players we would or wouldn't see on the field at the same time not necessarily having similar attributes.

Your post went into much better explanation of that than I intended with my limited knowledge and memory.

Lake City Hog

Directly from Arkansas Razorbacks.com stats. I removed Tight Ends and Running back catches. I also removed any catches by a Senior. This is only for returning Receivers.

Receiving        gp   no.   yds   avg    td   lg   avg/g
Keon Hatcher  13   43    558  13.0    6  50   42.9
Jared Cornelius 13 18    212  11.8    2  38   16.3
Cody Hollister  13  13    137  10.5    1   18  10.5
Drew Morgan  13   10    181  18.1    1   44  13.9
K. Edwards     11    4      70   17.5    1   28   6.4

I think that some of you may be underselling D Morgan! 3rd in yardage, #1 in avg per catch and the 2nd longest pass play of the season. I really think this kid could be an excellent 3rd down possession guy.

TheRazorback500

Hatcher
Cornelius
Reed
Robinson
Morgan
Hollister

:razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?

JayBell

Cornelius is kind of the forgotten guy in that group.  Hatcher is the senior leader, Reed is the dynamic new talent, Duwop is the athlete, Jojo is the redemption story and so is Edwards, to a lesser extent.  Plus Edwards is the only guy who can offer the big target like Reed.  Hollister is 6'4" too, but he doesn't have the other guys' athleticism.

A lot of writers had Cornelius as the offensive player for Arkansas primed for a breakout year after last season.  I think him, Hatcher, Jojo and Reed are clearly the top 4.

JayBell

Arkansas is in far better shape at receiver than most people realize.  Jojo and Edwards could have contributed a lot last season, but the coaching staff wanted to make sure they had their heads on right first.

I don't think you can really pare it down to six.  Hatcher, Cornelius, Jojo and Reed are the top 4.  But then you have Hollister, Morgan, Edwards and Duwop competing for snaps.  Even Hawkins too.

Almost any other year, at least one of Pettway and Stewart would probably contribute, but I think both will redshirt.  Hatcher is the only senior of the group.  I'll be shocked if at least a couple of them don't transfer in the offseason.

Cinco de Hogo

Yes that's a pretty nice group of receivers for a rushing team to have.  I'm hoping they can perform as well as they look but we just have to wait and see if the passing game can jell.

It never did last year and it wasn't just one thing.  No need to lay blame everyone knows what the problems were, just trust in our new OC to get the job done.

Dispite what some of the sunshine people say JWill injury, while not the end of the world and it's not something that will nessasarily decrease the number of wins, it does increase the need to perfect the passing game.  The reason is simple...we could lose another RB at any time.  We are limited on serviceable RB's, but we have a bunch of receivers and TE's.

Make no mistske about it, unless total disaster strikes we will still be a running team but I'm hoping our ability to pass can get us out of those proverbial holes when they happen.

As is everybody, I hope!  ;D

hogfan870

Quote from: razorback44 on August 16, 2015, 11:53:47 am
This is probably reading WAAAAYYY too much in to it but there are only six WR's scheduled to sign autographs at fan day today.

Hatcher
Cornelius
Reed
Edwards
Robinson
Mitchell

This seems like the right list to me - hopefully all of those guys will step up.  Seems like for our recieving corps to be good that is the group we need to be the best, with maybe the possible exception of trading out Mitchell for Morgan or Hollister.

Hatcher is really the only proven one.  Then we hope JoJo and Cornelius can be the little speedsters/jukers, and Edwards and Reed can be our deep ball/out jump people.  Mitchell/Morgan/Hollister, one of those will hopefully become a sure handed possession/third down guy - though I expect that will mostly be tight ends anyway.   

widespreadsooie

My favorite six in order:

1. Reed
2. Hatcher
3. Cornelius
4. Morgan
5. Robinson
6. Pettway

Lake City Hog

Chuck Dicus, Tim Horton and James Shibest were hardly what you would call "athletic", but man they were all pretty darned good receivers. If Morgan could become anywhere near to any of those we would be lucky.

rusvegashog

Hatcher was sooo much better last year. Caught everything that came his way which wasn't so the year before. I would imagine with the new coordinator and the emergence of a few new receivers especially ones like JoJo, Duwop and Reed who are great athletes that can make things happen with the ball in there hands and stretch the field. Few people are more excited than Keon. I'm a big fan of his and it'll be good to know that defenses can't focus so much on him and Hunter. Not to mention I look forward to seeing the RB get some catches as well.

IBleedRazorbackRed

Hatcher
Cornelius
Jojo
Reed
Morgan
Duwop

lefty08

Quote from: Lake City Hog on August 20, 2015, 09:46:50 pm
Chuck Dicus, Tim Horton and James Shibest were hardly what you would call "athletic", but man they were all pretty darned good receivers. If Morgan could become anywhere near to any of those we would be lucky.

the game has changed immensley since that was the case

KlubhouseKonnected

I would think that if Morgan's numbers go up very much this season, it's more likely than not a bad sign in reference to everything I have heard about our WR corp since last season ended.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: JayBell on August 17, 2015, 08:16:47 am
I'll be shocked if at least a couple of them don't transfer in the offseason.

I doubt that "at least a couple" transfer unless one or two do so under disciplinary/academic duress.

BTW, how is Hawkins only a junior?  It feels as if he has been here like, Kody Walker half decades...

I feel bad for how dissapointed I have always been.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on August 20, 2015, 11:37:32 pm
I would think that if Morgan's numbers go up very much this season, it's more likely than not a bad sign in reference to everything I have heard about our WR corp since last season ended.

Since he avg 18 yds per catch I would be very happy if he doubled his output.

PorkRinds

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on August 20, 2015, 11:37:32 pm

I seriously don't see the logic here.  He's a guy with lots of heart who is evidently a decent leader on the team.  If he earns a spot and earns touches, I'd say its a great sign.  He won't be the top WR obviously, but I'd say any receiver's numbers going up is a good thing.

bigred223

I'm really excited to see what Robinson, Reed, and Mitchell bring to the offense. They have the athleticism we were sorely lacking last season.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: PorkRinds on August 21, 2015, 08:31:53 am
I seriously don't see the logic here.  He's a guy with lots of heart who is evidently a decent leader on the team.  If he earns a spot and earns touches, I'd say its a great sign.  He won't be the top WR obviously, but I'd say any receiver's numbers going up is a good thing.

The idea being that if his numbers increase that likely means that Reed and Robinson have not clearly surpassed him on the depth chart. We had neither on the field last year, but we all hear and read about their outstanding athleticism and how well they are doing in practice.

Just saying that if they (and to a certain extent, Duwop) aren't taking targets away from Morgan than we are hearing and/or reading something wrong.

JayBell

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on August 20, 2015, 11:51:55 pmI doubt that "at least a couple" transfer unless one or two do so under disciplinary/academic duress.

I count 11 scholarship receivers and only one senior.  The staff will bring in at least 2-3 receivers in the next class.  You think that all 12-13 guys are going to remain on campus for a system that uses 2-3 receivers most of the time?