Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Softball transfer

Started by psycHOGlogist, June 07, 2017, 10:08:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

psycHOGlogist

Hailey Mackay has announced her transfer to Texas State.

Can't truly blame her. Was a Larabee recruit and looked to be a bit buried on the roster. Wish her well!

http://www.txstatebobcats.com/news/2017/6/7/softball-adds-three-to-recruiting-class.aspx

nwahogfan1

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on June 07, 2017, 10:08:16 pm
Hailey Mackay has announced her transfer to Texas State.

Can't truly blame her. Was a Larabee recruit and looked to be a bit buried on the roster. Wish her well!

http://www.txstatebobcats.com/news/2017/6/7/softball-adds-three-to-recruiting-class.aspx

Do you see more coming?

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on June 08, 2017, 11:11:37 am
Do you see more coming?

Well, I didn't exactly see this one coming, so I'm not sold on my prognostication skills. ;-)

But in all honesty, no. It certainly could happen, but looking over the roster and keeping tabs on things a little bit, it certainly looks like the team has a pretty positive attitude. As I said in flippin's thread about next year, the culture of the team seems to be really positive, and the younger players who didn't get much playing time seem to be accepting of their roles as of now. I'd worry maybe a little bit about Haizlip, simply because she's a sophomore and didn't get more then a sniff of PT this past year. Other than that, it's mostly freshmen like MacKay - and they seem to be on board. Even MacKay's instagram post announcing her transfer had a LOT of comments from current Hog players telling her how happy they were for her (makes me think it was all about playing time).

flippinhogmana

June 08, 2017, 12:21:27 pm #3 Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 01:50:38 pm by flippinhogmana
I hate to see anyone feel that they have to disrupt their life and academic career and have to go elsewhere to get a chance to play more.  But if they weren't competitors they wouldn't be playing the game.  In one sense I respect them more for being willing to venture out.  I do also appreciate sticking something out as well, so I am ambivalent about their choice.  But I am not ambivalent in my appreciation for their coming here in the first place.

Larabee's recruitment was not as much nationwide as is Diefel's (not slighting his recruitment efforts, but I think she just has a better chance with particularly California kids and some higher ranked players).  It appears to me that she is getting some players who have skill sets that are better than some of our past players. 

The end result of that is some players are going to end up sitting more unless they work their butts off and get that much better.  For some no amount of work is going to make them a equal player with another player who has a superior skill set, and better physical tools and who also works just as heart, and who also has as much heart.  In that sense we are not all born equal.  As to your question about there being more-there are several others who didnt get much playing time.  They have to answer several questions for themselves, we will see.

Above all else, I wish Hailey well. 
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

nwahogfan1

Thanks,
Thanks. Does transferring have anything to do with scholarship money they are receiving?

flippinhogmana

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on June 08, 2017, 12:30:01 pm
Thanks,
Thanks. Does transferring have anything to do with scholarship money they are receiving?

To be honest with you that is probably a question for Psych or Coach.  I dont know if softball is the same scholarship situation as baseball or not.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

LadybackBBFan

I just read up on the # of scholarships.  They get 12 and can use them for at least 18 players - 2/3rds of a scholarship.  I expect a lot of softball players are good students and can get an academic scholarship, but know nothing about it for sure.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on June 09, 2017, 10:05:50 am
I just read up on the # of scholarships.  They get 12 and can use them for at least 18 players - 2/3rds of a scholarship.  I expect a lot of softball players are good students and can get an academic scholarship, but know nothing about it for sure.

Wow.  Only 18 can receive money and so depending on players signed  each year current players scholarships are given out I assume according to value determined by coach.    Reshuffle the deck. Has to be tough on all concerned.

psycHOGlogist

Factor into that that kids are committing earlier and earlier (there are 8th graders currently committed to some schools), and you can see that it's just nuts trying to make changes quickly.

flippinhogmana

Athletic scholarships are a big part but academic scholarships and grants are another; which is why schools like Vanderbilt have a big advantage (despite their even higher tuition).  But playing time is also a major factor on the topic (transfers).

We had seven or eight players on the roster last year that didnt have much, if any, playing time.  We only had six seniors, so that doesn't open up a lot of positions for increased playing time.  We have a pretty set infield returning except at catcher.  I think that was the major factor as to the one transfer so far (she couldn't see much light at the end of the tunnel in her position, especially for next year). 

We also have more coming in than are graduating.  At years end we only had two seniors (Hiers and Schroeder) that were major daily contributors, with Moll and Canfield getting some playing time, but who had largely already been replaced in the lineup (with Hedgcock and Krzysko).  I think three of the incoming freshmen will get significant playing time.

We need to have a main catcher and possibly a backup who actually plays.  We need to develop a replacement for Schroeder not just in the field but in the batting order (in batting it might be Diaz if she returns to her freshman form and goes beyond it).

It is quite possible that our better pitching will enable Coach Deifel to pursue the development of the team differently this year than she did last year.  In preseason this year I believe she felt the need to develop the team mentality into a winning attitude with a killer instinct.  That mindset doesn't allow for the use of as many substitutes even in blowouts.  I think she can feel more latitude this year which might allow for more playing time.

If Storms, Hedgcock and Haff (my powerpuff girls) come in lights out from day one, Deifel can work on the short game, small ball more too.  I think this coming year will be just as transformational as last year in many respects.  That being said, I dont know that there is likely to be more playing time for quite a few young women.

That will make it (along with the scholarship money) tough on the decision making for about half a dozen players this year and maybe as much as a dozen players in the off season next year, depending on recruiting.  One factor next year is that we will lose a whole lot more regulars from the lineup next year than this year.   

flippinhogmana

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on June 09, 2017, 10:05:50 am

Sounds the same as in baseball.  But there is some flexibility.  I believe they can spread it out to all on their roster, but that would mean a half scholarship or less to some, as much as a full ride to others.  They just can't give out (if its she same as baseball) more in the aggregate than the combined value of twelve full time scholarships.  To get a Mary Haff for example or someone like that, you might have to give a full scholie if she comes from a poor background. 

jackflash

do we have any considering transfer to the Hogs

psycHOGlogist

Haven't heard of any yet, but will report back if so! The roster is already pretty hefty in terms of numbers ...

flippinhogmana

You might see a few during the summer, but I think that you are more likely to see more after fall ball and the players see how they stack up after the new comers arrive and they see how they shake out in the playing order against them.  If you have younger players with a lot of eligibility left fall behind the newcomers they are likely to seek transfers at semester.