Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

hog fans need to prepare for defense numbers.....

Started by ballz2thewall, January 11, 2018, 10:11:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ballz2thewall

given the offense that Morris will run, our coagulate defensive numbers will likely never be anywhere near the collective top in rankings. maybe in a few selective stats, but not as a group.

it is inherent in prolific offense football. i have no predictions on where we'll be, but i have a good idea where we won't be........
The rest of the frog.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: ballz2thewall on January 11, 2018, 10:11:32 am
given the offense that Morris will run, our coagulate defensive numbers will likely never be anywhere near the collective top in rankings. maybe in a few selective stats, but not as a group.

it is inherent in prolific offense football. i have no predictions on where we'll be, but i have a good idea where we won't be........

Probably correct. The closer we can get to being 0 in PPG then everything else doesn't mean darn.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

oldman1015

Arkansas, the left lane state.

Razorbackers

If Morris gets us a top 20 offense, all Chavis needs to do is get us a top 50 defense and we should have a good amount of success.

That is my hope, anyway.

steveaustin69

(of a fluid, especially blood) change to a solid or semisolid state defensive numbers?

theFlyingHog

There's only one thing that counts at the end of the day. I don't care if Chavis stays up all Friday night and Saturday morning pulling hotel fire alarms if we win

LZH

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 11, 2018, 11:23:50 am
(of a fluid, especially blood) change to a solid or semisolid state defensive numbers?

I think he meant corduroy.

SemperHawg

Be disruptive, stay plus in the turnover margin and score a bunch of points!

RME

Did you mean "aggregate?" Just trying to help ya out is all.

TexHog188

"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

I along with many others couldn't care less about that as long as we are winning/competitive
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

jm

I sure hope you are wrong. The teams we play every year (Alabama, Auburn, LSU, A an M) are always good on defense. I know it is hard to believe, but they have all played against spread teams before. We aren't going to just magically start scoring 50 on these guys, so we better figure out a way to stop them.

King Kong

Some how our defensives has been historically bad despite controlling the TOP in most games.

I'm more looking forward to an Offense that gets a lead and a Defense that get to play more in known passing situations.

Grizzlyfan

If he scores 45 a game and wins it's all good.  If he scores 45 a game and loses?  Not so much.

oldhawg

January 11, 2018, 02:14:09 pm #14 Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 06:10:57 pm by oldhawg
A few offensive statistics from 2017 SMU team.

Average time of possession per game was 29:33 minutes.

http://smumustangs.com/cumestats.aspx?path=football

Razorbackers

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 11, 2018, 02:02:20 pm
If he scores 45 a game and wins it's all good.  If he scores 45 a game and loses?  Not so much.

Fun to watch, tho

phadedhawg

If Chavis nailed our defender's feet to the ground our defensive numbers will probably improve over the last couple of years.

Sed76

I don't think we will have a top 10 defense or anything but have confidence that Chavis will field a defense miles ahead what Bielema put on the field in 2016 and 2017. Throw in an actual emphasis on special teams and it should make a big difference in a few of those close games the previous staff was famous for losing.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Al Boarland

Quote from: jm on January 11, 2018, 01:58:02 pm
I sure hope you are wrong. The teams we play every year (Alabama, Auburn, LSU, A an M) are always good on defense. I know it is hard to believe, but they have all played against spread teams before. We aren't going to just magically start scoring 50 on these guys, so we better figure out a way to stop them.

They have profiling offenses sans LSU. Unless they are playing each other.

hogcards

We gave up an average of 36 ppg last season.  Texas A & M gave up close to 31 ppg.  The way I see it, we may improve slightly.
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

jgphillips3

Clemson still runs what will be our same offense and they were a top 4 defense.  Yes, I know we don't have their elite talent.  However, it is possible to run a "fast" offense and still field a good defense when that fast offense is predicated on the run like ours will be.

rljjr

Quote from: jgphillips3 on January 11, 2018, 03:00:48 pm
Clemson still runs what will be our same offense and they were a top 4 defense.  Yes, I know we don't have their elite talent.  However, it is possible to run a "fast" offense and still field a good defense when that fast offense is predicated on the run like ours will be.

This. Respectfully, the OPs premise just isn't square with the facts regarding the type of offense Coach Morris (You're welcome, anti-use of CCM guy) runs. Going fast doesn't necessarily translate to scoring fast. He still wants to run the ball.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: jgphillips3 on January 11, 2018, 03:00:48 pm

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 11, 2018, 11:23:50 am

Oh My... steveaustin69 is an educated man... I'm sure of it. I hate him.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Sed76 on January 11, 2018, 02:28:13 pm
I don't think we will have a top 10 defense or anything but have confidence that Chavis will field a defense miles ahead what Bielema put on the field in 2016 and 2017. Throw in an actual emphasis on special teams and it should make a big difference in a few of those close games the previous staff was famous for losing.

Special team excellence wins games. CC said it at the first team meeting. If that alone improves, the D will get better as a result ahead of all the excellence Chavis will  ring, in time.

sickboy

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 11, 2018, 11:26:44 am
Did you mean "aggregate?" Just trying to help ya out is all.

Lol. Nice way to toss the grenade in his foxhole and then say you're just trying to end it quickly.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: oldhawg on January 11, 2018, 02:14:09 pm
A few offensive statistics from 2017 SMU team.

Average time of position per game was 29:33 minutes.

http://smumustangs.com/cumestats.aspx?path=football

5.7 Off Plays/Drive, 36.2 Yds/Drive, 6.4 Yds/Play, 2:14 P/Drive, 13.2 Drives/Gm (no garbage time drives...kneeling at end of half or at end of game).

In comparison to what Chavis' defense had to deal with at A&M with their offense:

5.2 Off Plays/Drive, 28.7 Yds/Drive, 5.5 Yds/Play, 2:04 P/Drive, 14.2 Drives/Gm (same as above, no garbage time drives included).

I don't expect Chavis to work miracles with our defense but I am pretty sure that he will scheme to create pressure up front on opposing offenses. He and Morris share the same opinion about the need for speed and athleticism on both sides of the ball. If the Secondary can improve (and we have some talent back there) they are going to get more help next season than last by a front 7 that dials up more pressure.

It will be interesting to see the team that they put on the field next August.
Go Hogs Go!

oldhawg

January 11, 2018, 06:20:04 pm #28 Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 06:41:02 pm by oldhawg
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 11, 2018, 06:09:16 pm
5.7 Off Plays/Drive, 36.2 Yds/Drive, 6.4 Yds/Play, 2:14 P/Drive, 13.2 Drives/Gm (no garbage time drives...kneeling at end of half or at end of game).

In comparison to what Chavis' defense had to deal with at A&M with their offense:

5.2 Off Plays/Drive, 28.7 Yds/Drive, 5.5 Yds/Play, 2:04 P/Drive, 14.2 Drives/Gm (same as above, no garbage time drives included).

I don't expect Chavis to work miracles with our defense but I am pretty sure that he will scheme to create pressure up front on opposing offenses. He and Morris share the same opinion about the need for speed and athleticism on both sides of the ball. If the Secondary can improve (and we have some talent back there) they are going to get more help next season than last by a front 7 that dials up more pressure.

It will be interesting to see the team that they put on the field next August.

It will indeed be interesting.  I would like the Razorbacks to regain the reputation of being a team that is fundamentally sound and plays hard-hitting, smash-mouth football ---- with a little offensive flair.  Am being my usual optimistic self, but I look for good things (in the way the Razorbacks play the game) to happen next year.  It may not immediately show up in the W column, but IMO that will come. 

LZH

Quote from: sickboy on January 11, 2018, 05:53:11 pm
Lol. Nice way to toss the grenade in his foxhole and then say you're just trying to end it quickly.

Ha!

I, by intention, have never watched even one offensive play that a Chad Morris team ran.  I know he picked up most of his current planning from Gus.  I expect the HUNH will be a part but I would bet most of the time,he will not huddle but not hurry either.  This, if so, will assist the defense in not wearing out. 

As for worrying about BAMA and the other top SEC teams, please forget about them. Lets just try to find a way to for sure beat the lower of the conference teams we play against. 

Hopefully, Hog fans can enter this season, not wringing their hands when a Coastal Carolina type team comes calling.  Maybe we can save the prayers and not bother God with the begging and pleading for a win until we face say OM or Vandy.  One step at a time. 

I REALLY DON'T BELIEVE MOST HOGVILLERS FULLY REALIZE HOW BAD OUR CURRENT TEAM IS, MENTALLY.  Most of these Guys don't know what to expect when the going gets rough.  Most still don't know what it means to be conditioned at a college level.  None of them have ever played a play for any of these coaches except Lunney.  The last Special Teams they could have seen was their last year of High School.

3kgthog

Cut out the big TD plays this past season and Bielema might've snuck into a bowl.

I don't expect a top 25 defense, but a top 40-50 defense is reasonable.

PORKULATOR

Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

PorkSoda

since we haven't been able to manage even a top 100 defense in a long time, I would take an average defense and be ecstatic.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Biggus Piggus

If our defense would congeal rather than hemorrhage, all would be well.
[CENSORED]!

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: 3kgthog on January 14, 2018, 12:49:19 pm
Cut out the big TD plays this past season and Bielema might've snuck into a bowl.

Would have only delayed the inevitable.  Best the season finished as it did, so we could reboot.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

PorkSoda

Quote from: 3kgthog on January 14, 2018, 12:49:19 pm

sure if our defense didn't give up tons of big plays, and our offense was remotely consistent, there wouldn't have been a need to fire him and find a new coach.  that wasn't the case, hence the coaching change.

that said, I too would be happy with a top 50 defense in the first year.  we will need to improve on that if we expect to compete in the west. but its a good starting place.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Bubba's Bruisers

If we can be a top 20 offense and top 50 defense, we might be pretty good.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

LZH

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 14, 2018, 01:55:59 pm
since we haven't been able to manage even a top 100 defense in a long time, I would take an average defense and be ecstatic.

I think you are overstating your point a bit based in reaction to this most recent season.

Total Defense Ranking
2017-#101
2016-#76
2015-#58
2014-#10
2013-#76
2012-#73
2011-#47
2010-#36
2009-#89
2008-#72
2007-#46
Go Hogs Go!

PorkSoda

January 14, 2018, 03:50:06 pm #40 Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 04:09:14 pm by PorkSoda
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 14, 2018, 03:44:49 pm
I think you are overstating your point a bit based in reaction to this most recent season.

Total Defense Ranking
2017-#101
2016-#76
2015-#58
2014-#10
2013-#76
2012-#73
2011-#47
2010-#36
2009-#89
2008-#72
2007-#46

well yea, but your breakdown does show that if you couple a top 50 defense with a good offense, you  can be very successful.

Edit: I am curious about the 2006 ranking.  Most people focus on our offense that year, but we also had a really good defense that  year as well.  Jamal Anderson led the conference in Sacks, and Chris Houston was a high draft pick in the secondary.

lamont7906

Not necessarily true, most defenses in college need the offense to be good or decent in these three categories TOP, field positions  (meaning move the ball ) and enough points to play aggressive. I believe Morris can get us two of the three. Move the ball to make the other team offense have to go at least 65 plus yards majority of the time and enough points put on the board to let Chavis be aggressive without being afraid and playing timid because we are already down in points.   

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Sed76 on January 11, 2018, 02:28:13 pm

I frankly wouldn't be surprised if Chavis gets us to be at least a top 40 defense this season, which would be a very good improvement.

Chavis should be able to create a significant improvement for us in the following areas.

More pressure on the opposing QBs
Be more physical at the point-of-attack on the line-of-scrimmage
Better gap control/gap integrity
Better tackling
Better at getting off the field on 3rd Down

With our better focus on conditioning in our S&C Program, we should also be better at getting to the ball quicker.

The above first 5 areas, Chavis is going to demand and require that those areas have high-level quality of results.

RockyMtnHog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 14, 2018, 02:41:38 pm
so we could reboot.

.... we have not rebooted this team. We have installed a brand new image.  It will take 9 months to reboot the new image.  The results will be revealed in Sept 2018.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"