Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rest of the staff?

Started by hawgwash, January 09, 2018, 02:19:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lakecityhog

I am sure that MOST of us expected to see a press release showing all 10 coaches, but we didn't and we don't know why. Probably not anything earth shattering.

Scott may well be TRYING to show his value and EARN a job?? Maybe Morris told him that he has 1?2? guys in mind but those guys have other offers pending and IF they decline the job is his?? I mean after all there are a TON of teams looking for that 10 coach and there are tons of guys moving around.

I am hoping for Caldwell after that I am just putting my faith in Chavis/Morris to make 3 GOOD choices!

farmhawg

Quote from: Rudy Baylor on January 09, 2018, 07:51:33 pm
am I supposed to post that Meat Loaf song now?
You poor thing.....
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

GoHogs1091

I am glad that Steve Caldwell is returning.  Bielema not retaining him was one of the biggest mistakes Bielema made.

Caldwell recruited and landed Trey Flowers and Darius Philon.  To have a chance against the upper echelon of the SEC, you have to get players like Flowers and Philon.

Ron Cooper should make a huge difference for our Secondary.  If Chavis can utilize some new wrinkles (since a lot of the SEC Offensive Coaches know his defense), and with Caldwell and Cooper, we could be solid on defense.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: SooieGeneris on January 09, 2018, 03:21:08 pm
Scott was the lead recruiter for Fulwider the first time around and Mincey as well. Mincey had offers from just about everybody in the SEC, so getting him would be a coup.
Hard to call a currently committed player a coup, but it would be a nice save...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Pork Twain

Quote from: Rudy Baylor on January 09, 2018, 02:28:52 pm
this entire process has been utterly stupid

Yes because the fans deserve to know and for no other reason...  /sarcasm  Fans don't deserve to know dick, the players do.  Get over yourself.

The only thing that has been entirely stupid is all the negative posts before a game has been played
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

King Kong

Just my opinion. But zero reason for Cooper, Morris and Smith to start following Scott it he isn't staying

Hawg Life

Quote from: King Kong on January 09, 2018, 09:46:29 pm
Just my opinion. But zero reason for Cooper, Morris and Smith to start following Scott it he isn't staying

Agreed, but good luck arguing with The Twitter Police.

codeHog

Scott is the only chance to save Mincey

Hawg Life

Quote from: codeHog on January 09, 2018, 09:55:43 pm
Scott is the only chance to save Mincey

So, you'd hire a position coach to save a recruit?

colbs

They have the whole staff but will announce the rest tomorrow.

Hawg Life

Quote from: colbs on January 09, 2018, 09:59:03 pm
They have the whole staff but will announce the rest tomorrow.

Do you think Scott is retained?

Dwight_K_Shrute

Some on here are such whiny little B's. I'm not sure how you handle the vagaries of life but based on how you react to not knowing who the coaches are I'd say not well.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

colbs

Scott7703

Quote from: Hawg Life on January 09, 2018, 08:21:58 pm
Rice.. I called Skipper before his name was mentioned on this board. I'm telling you Scott will not be retained as DL coach.

Scott will be the second Dline coach I figure. He recruited fulwider and also has been in contact with Gooden.

RaisinHog

Quote from: Hawg Life on January 09, 2018, 09:56:52 pm
So, you'd hire a position coach to save a recruit?

If was a 5 star line backer or qb or running back it would be tempting for me..

Hawg Life

Quote from: Scott7703 on January 09, 2018, 10:16:13 pm

Scott will be the second Dline coach I figure. He recruited fulwider and also has been in contact with Gooden.

Possible.. but I think STC is more likely. I don't think he'll be the DL coach, but he could be STC and help @ DL.

SooieGeneris

Scott was recently followed by Ron Cooper, Caldwell, I think and by CM for sure. CM didn't follow the other coaches from the old staff other than Lunney who is being retained. No reason to do that if he's not being kept in some capacity.

I know one player can make more of a difference in basketball, but Larry Brown hired a truck driver as an assistant on his staff at Kansas before his 5 star recruit son's SR year in HS..

Of course, Ed Manning had played in college and the old ABA but had no coaching experience and was driving a truck before Brown hired him to get his son Danny. Got him a NC in 1988, Danny's SR year in college, Ed disappeared soon after too, if I recall correctly.

Seriously, I doubt if Scott's being retained to get one player, but it does look like he'll be here. D linemen are hard to find.
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

Rockhawg

My guess would be: Chavis - DC/LB: Caldwell - DE: Scott - DT: Cooper - DB/S: Skipper - LB:

Scott7703

Quote from: Hawg Life on January 09, 2018, 10:50:47 pm
Possible.. but I think STC is more likely. I don't think he'll be the DL coach, but he could be STC and help @ DL.

And you may be right on that also. I guess we can both agree he will be on staff in some position.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Rockhawg on January 10, 2018, 05:29:32 am
My guess would be: Chavis - DC/LB: Caldwell - DE: Scott - DT: Cooper - DB/S: Skipper - LB:

Not saying he will. But I did see where very early in Skipper's career he coached DB's as well.

Very flexible coach that can recruit Louisiana

HogginUp

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 09, 2018, 06:46:54 pm
Ron Cooper and Mark Smith also both started following John Scott Jr on Twitter today
Chavis
Caldwell
Scott
Cooper
Smith

This will be announced @ 10am today.

King Kong

Quote from: HogginUp on January 10, 2018, 08:06:41 am
Chavis
Caldwell
Scott
Cooper
Smith

This will be announced @ 10am today.

Smith? Or you mean Skipper?

WOOPIGDOOIE

HogginUp

That's one of the stronger rumors on 247; that and those 5 were seen dining together last night. I guess we'll see in a couple of hours.

RaisinHog

HogginUp

He's one of the coaches that came with CCM. Someone posted his bio a while back in the Recruiting Forum. Was a HS Head Coach in Texas and spent some time under Venables at OU.

TheInfamousHog

Isn't Mark Smith the recuiting coordinator?

ricepig

Quote from: TheInfamousHog on January 10, 2018, 08:52:24 am
Isn't Mark Smith the recuiting coordinator?

Unless he's the DB coach....

Hawg Life

King Kong

Quote from: ricepig on January 10, 2018, 09:07:48 am
Unless he's the DB coach....

One heck of a promotion from being an analyst at SMU to a field coach in the SEC.

colbs

ricepig

Quote from: Hawg Life on January 10, 2018, 09:16:11 am
Cooper would be the DB coach.

Smith would be the other DB coach.

colbs

kibster

I actually think having a veteran coach paired with a young coach on both the DL and the Secondary makes a lot of sense.
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

Dwight_K_Shrute

Skipper would have been a great get.  Wonder why it fell through.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

colbs

Just my opinion but I think CCM added Mark Smith a lot for the recruiting part.  Now he can go on the road and visit prospects. 

ricepig

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 10, 2018, 09:44:56 am
Skipper would have been a great get.  Wonder why it fell through.

Because it probably wasn't ever out there. I heard Mark Smith as a DB coach last week, but didn't think it was true.

WOOPIGDOOIE

Quote from: colbs on January 10, 2018, 09:45:45 am
Just my opinion but I think CCM added Mark Smith a lot for the recruiting part.  Now he can go on the road and visit prospects.
That was my thought as well.

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on January 10, 2018, 09:46:16 am
Because it probably wasn't ever out there. I heard Mark Smith as a DB coach last week, but didn't think it was true.

It could be that Skipper decided to take the UNLV DC job instead.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Hawginj

TexasRazorback

Quote from: Rudy Baylor on January 09, 2018, 02:28:52 pm
this entire process has been utterly stupid

Let Morris do what he does, just because it hasn't been made public doesn't mean the team, recruits, and coaches know who the coaches are.

Atlhogfan1

Chavis Caldwell Cooper - proven assistants in the SEC and decades of college coaching experience

Then we have everyone else.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

BossHawg_Outlaw

just not excited about smith.  if he is good enough to be our secondary coach why wasn't he good enough to be SMU's secondary coach

Wildhog

Mark Smith and John Scott are terrible hires.  This is not an SEC-level defensive staff.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

BossHawg_Outlaw

Quote from: Wildhog on January 10, 2018, 10:01:57 am
Mark Smith and John Scott are terrible hires.  This is not an SEC-level defensive staff.

agree about those 2.  who's picking the coaches morris or chavis

Wildhog

Quote from: BossHawg_Outlaw on January 10, 2018, 10:03:04 am
agree about those 2.  who's picking the coaches morris or chavis

I don't know, but but it ultimately falls on Morris.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hawginj

I have to admit not real excited about the defensive staff but it is what it is 3 seasoned coaches 1 young coach that we arent impressed of from last year and 1 young highschool coach that was a recruiting director hope it works out.