Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Unofficial national championship thread

Started by elksnort, January 08, 2018, 06:56:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

311Hog

Quote from: alohawg on January 09, 2018, 11:38:53 am
I would guess the bad/missed calls favored Alabama at least 5/1.
One that stood out to me was the PI along the sideline on Alabama's game tying drive. You're correct, Alabama db's play by different rules, have for years.  ::)

blocked punt that wasn't was pretty bad. insult to injury they penalized GA on the play.

hogsanity

Quote from: 311Hog on January 09, 2018, 11:42:42 am
blocked punt that wasn't was pretty bad. insult to injury they penalized GA on the play.

Had they called false start, still no blocked punt, false start kills the play.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

311Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on January 09, 2018, 12:00:47 pm
Had they called false start, still no blocked punt, false start kills the play.

i understand that but there were 3 outcomes of that play.

1. No offsides no false start blocked punt = who knows what happens after that (best case scenario GA)
2. False start correctly called, now Bama has to punt again except 5 yards back instead of 5 yards forward = we don't know what happens maybe a bad snap or another block or a better return etc. 2nd option still good for GA.
3. Off sides incorrectly called, no review, block nullified, ball moved 5 yards up and the rest is history.  Of the 3 potential outcomes GA got the worst one.

Missed face mask calls, how in the world does a player punch another and not get ejected?  i didnt care who won but the officiating was pretty bad lax is a pretty good word for it except at the worst times.

hog.goblin

Quote from: 311Hog on January 09, 2018, 09:58:53 am
some of you Power 5 homers are hilarious to dismiss UCF.  I mean you can look down on them all you want but the fact remains they beat Auburn soundly and who did Auburn beat?

If you remove UCF and replace them with Arkansas you guys would be making thread after thread expounding on how we beat the national champion etc. etc. and they finished undefeated.  I am not saying they ARE the national champion or that they would hold up playing an SEC conference schedule i am saying THIS YEAR they have the "best claim" i have ever seen from a non power 5 team way better than any Boise State claim because they actually beat a team that beat both teams playing for it all and remained undefeated for the whole year.  And they did it with a lame duck coach that they knew was leaving.

Also the refs in this game were horrible is that really the best the NCAA can offer? i mean it took away from the game so many missed calls. I watched from the "coaches" room and they all commented on it.

So UCF gets National Championship attention because they beat a 4 loss Auburn team in a meaningless bowl game?  Conference strength is the whole point as good conferences have average or above average teams that rise up and beat the other elite conference teams.

If UCF gets legit credit, then the Hogs need to get out of the SEC and go to the Sunbelt.  We could rack up some NC's!

311Hog

Quote from: hog.goblin on January 09, 2018, 01:13:36 pm
So UCF gets National Championship attention because they beat a 4 loss Auburn team in a meaningless bowl game?  Conference strength is the whole point as good conferences have average or above average teams that rise up and beat the other elite conference teams.

If UCF gets legit credit, then the Hogs need to get out of the SEC and go to the Sunbelt.  We could rack up some NC's!

UCF gets legit attention because they very well might have won or shared a real NC if we were still in the poll era.

UCF is undefeated, and has looked impressive.  You can harp on the 4 losses for Auburn, but i counter that with the absolute beating we took from them, and they beat both GA and Bama.  I can promise you if we had the same scenario we would be claiming NC to.

you are making a flawed inference playing in a "weaker" conference does not improve your chances of a NC. If we started playing in the AAC next year i bet we don't go undefeated and beat a SEC west champion in a bowl game.

hog.goblin

Quote from: 311Hog on January 09, 2018, 01:25:11 pm
UCF gets legit attention because they very well might have won or shared a real NC if we were still in the poll era.

UCF is undefeated, and has looked impressive.  You can harp on the 4 losses for Auburn, but i counter that with the absolute beating we took from them, and they beat both GA and Bama.  I can promise you if we had the same scenario we would be claiming NC to.

you are making a flawed inference playing in a "weaker" conference does not improve your chances of a NC. If we started playing in the AAC next year i bet we don't go undefeated and beat a SEC west champion in a bowl game.

Boise St says hello, and that poll system didn't work for them either.  Because pollsters knew better then and they know better now.  Auburn also lost Georgia, Clemson, and an average LSU team.  That's what happens to teams in real conferences more often than not.

Under CBB it's flawed.  He finds a way for Arkansas to be .500 in the Sunbelt.  CBP has us undefeated and looking like UCF.  I'm hoping CMM can too.  But if we are in the Sunbelt we don't deserve squat and less we play and beat several big boys.

UCF had that option and chose not to do it.  They shouldn't be rewarded for it.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Mo_Better_Hogs on January 09, 2018, 08:50:28 am
That's pretty bad. Refs will miss calls in traffic, simply because they can't see everything. But those plays were out in the open with refs in close proximity.

The head shove on Fromm, while not a true hit to the helmet, was still fairly egregious in its intent. As an official, isn't your job to be an enforcer? Stunts less than this will draw flags. The "latitude" that Alabama's defense gets on a regular basis is huge. Why was the WR who clearly left early not flagged? The ref was a few feet away, he was looking straight at him. Same thing? Alabama gets a little gray area to operate within?

The officiating crew last night were amateurs compared to the Mike Defee crew (Big 12 Crew) who officiated the NC game last January.

It is difficult enough to win against Alabama and their numerous #1 ranked in the nation recruiting classes, but then add in garbage officiating and Georgia was trying to overcome an uphill climb.

IronHog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on January 09, 2018, 06:42:14 pm
The officiating crew last night were amateurs compared to the Mike Defee crew (Big 12 Crew) who officiated the NC game last January.

It is difficult enough to win against Alabama and their numerous #1 ranked in the nation recruiting classes, but then add in garbage officiating and Georgia was trying to overcome an uphill climb.

You expected different

Bama is college football.....they're Texas with a good team
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: IronHog on January 09, 2018, 06:49:36 pm

You expected different

Bama is college football.....they're Texas with a good team

Well, Nick Saban is very close friends with Mark Emmert, the President of the NCAA.

Last January after Saban lost the NC game, it wouldn't be surprising if Saban talked to Emmert and he told him that if we (Alabama) get back to the NC game then send a low-line officiating crew from the Big 10. 

The officiating in the Big 10 can be as mediocre as the football played in that conference.

hog.goblin

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on January 09, 2018, 06:56:47 pm
Well, Nick Saban is very close friends with Mark Emmert, the President of the NCAA.

Last January after Saban lost the NC game, it wouldn't be surprising if Saban talked to Emmert and he told him that if we (Alabama) get back to the NC game then send a low-line officiating crew from the Big 10. 

The officiating in the Big 10 can be as mediocre as the football played in that conference.

That may be the dumbest thing I have ever read.  No offense...

David†

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on January 09, 2018, 06:56:47 pm

I bet this is exactly what happened. Not only that I bet Saban ordered Emmert to make the refs cheat in favor of Bama.

👍 good work !!