Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is this seasons Hog team better than last season?

Started by hogsanity, January 07, 2018, 02:01:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Right now I am not sure, which is bad because the SEC is better than last season. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

3of5-2

I think they are better, but not enough to overcome some of the same problems.

hogsanity

Quote from: 3of5-2 on January 07, 2018, 02:10:07 pm
I think they are better, but not enough to overcome some of the same problems.

I thought they were, but they have not found a consistent replacement for Hannah's, and they are getting nothing, or next to it, off the bench.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

3of5-2

Quote from: hogsanity on January 07, 2018, 02:15:22 pm
I thought they were, but they have not found a consistent replacement for Hannah's, and they are getting nothing, or next to it, off the bench.
We need a 6th man off the bench that can provide some instant offense. Not sure we have one.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: 3of5-2 on January 07, 2018, 02:18:23 pm
We need a 6th man off the bench that can provide some instant offense. Not sure we have one.
should we have Gafford not starting and bring him in, it worked early in the year
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on January 07, 2018, 02:35:12 pm
should we have Gafford not starting and bring him in, it worked early in the year

May not be a bad move

Dwight_K_Shrute

I think talent wise you could argue this team is better.  Leadership wise I'm not so sure, and they might cost a few games.  While it's been said Beard is the leader, I'm not sure he's the best person for the job.  He's got a big heart and is all Razorback but that doesn't mean he's necessarily the best leader.  As far as the other Sr's Barford is the showboat, I'm not meaning this negatively, just see it as his role to be the scorer, dazzler, trash talker.  Macon's the quiet one.  Just going out there doing Daryl Macon things.  Thomas not a leader.  Cook too much of a role player.  Then we get to Trey.  Trey is the kid that it would have been nice to have him develop into the leader.  The big guy that could get people's attention and you do not want to piss him off.  To me Trey has taken a bit of a step back in on court performance this year and is not the calming force he could be.  Get a little more offense and rebounds from Trey and we could be 3-0.  Not putting the 2 L's on him though because the same could be said about a handful of players. 

MA's teams have responded well to adversity in the past and hoping they do again.  But I've said all along this team could be better than last year's and have 2 more conference losses because the league is that much better.  It's not a bad thing as long as we don't fall flat on our face because steel sharpens steel which means all SEC teams will be better prepared for the post season.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Danny J

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on January 07, 2018, 02:35:12 pm
No...he needs as many minutes he can physically play without tiring or foul troubles. I would try to have a little more consistency or when someone's hot leave them in the game. Personally I would start bailey or cook and bring Thomas in to replace Gafford. There is no way I would continue to play Thompson if we are switching on D. We have a hard enough time keeping penetrating guards in front of us as it is.

It's been like this for 7 years...it's gonna be a roller coaster ride. Just have to hope Hall, Jones and Gafford can keep getting better and until them Macon and Barford have to play within themselves. 

lynbug

It's a concern when you have to be worried about your center getting fouled.  Traditionally they get in the paint and score or get fouled.  If he's in the midst of good defenders he ends up on the line and right now Gafford's shooting 35%.  I think this is one of the most glaring weaknesses.

hogsanity

1-3 just like last year only this sec is better but I think the hogs are worse than last year. Looks like the D took lessons from the football team.

3of5-2

cardinalhawg

It is hard for me to tell too, as the conference is much better top to bottom.  Even if we were playing better right now, we could still be losing close games to things such as poor free throwing and giving up late three pointers which plagued us on the road against Mississippi State. 

In recent years, we have not been as dominate at home, but we have been fair to good on the road which has helped. 

Right now, it seems other teams have figured us out and if we make the adjustments, lineup changes, and/or improvements on both sides of the ball, we still have the free throw shooting situation to deal with, which has been a strength for us in recent season, especially last year.