Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Did Wally take a shot at Long's self inscribed integrity?

Started by Con el Cerdos, January 04, 2018, 11:42:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkSoda

Quote from: Tim Harris on January 04, 2018, 06:30:54 pm
I find it humerus how many people think along alone could make that type of financial commitment. There are several people who have to sign off on contracts.
you find it humerus?

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Wild Bill Hog

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Tim Harris on January 04, 2018, 06:30:54 pm
I find it humerus how many people think along alone could make that type of financial commitment. There are several people who have to sign off on contracts.

Let me guess. You didn't like your English teacher. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

rtr

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 04, 2018, 05:50:28 pm
Guv if there is one thing we all can give you credit for it's your tenacity...............................or is it temerity. Maybe both.
What about you defending this absolute rubbish left behind by the previous AD and his Football Coach.  Oh the temerity.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on January 04, 2018, 02:37:42 pm
Lol, yes it could have. It's this kind of attitude "wanting everything done NOW!" with no thought of the long term consequences.
You might want to rethink that. They've got a $160 million project to pay for and crowds of 38,000 won't do it.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: rtr on January 04, 2018, 06:48:28 pm
What about you defending this absolute rubbish left behind by the previous AD and his Football Coach.  Oh the temerity.
NM

HeathWimp

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on January 04, 2018, 02:41:07 pm
People who wanted BB gone should have zero complaints about the buyout. You got what you wanted so deal with it.

Dude, are you still upset that Bielema is gone?  You were one of his biggest supporters, I get it, but I don't think he's coming back.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

Lady Razorback

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 04, 2018, 01:16:18 pm
Wally's style is to be sure he has the story right before he publishes something that may be irresponisible or defamatory. Just like Mike Irwin. That's responsible journalism.

Not sure that is case.  Wally writes an opinion column.  He never attempts to be a responsible journalist because he has cloaked himself in this opinion column. 

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Lady Razorback on January 04, 2018, 08:20:52 pm
Not sure that is case.  Wally writes an opinion column.  He never attempts to be a responsible journalist because he has cloaked himself in this opinion column. 

Somehow Wally and responsible journalist in the same sentence seems very odd.

Lady Razorback

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 04, 2018, 02:00:24 pm
Wally allowed it to run in his Sports section....

Wasn't it that the attorney looked at the contract that they were able to obtain via FOI which did have the declining formula in it?  They could not FOI the RF because it is a private entity but ultimately AG Rutledge ruled that the agreement with RF had to be released.  I truly believe that only then did the discrepancy come to light. 

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: hogsanity on January 04, 2018, 03:09:57 pm
They will be talking about those people until they can not post or talk anymore. It is what still gets responses.

And people just like you and the Mckinney guy will be talking out your asses.
BB had to go there is no one who knows anything and I mean anything about football would think he could have been brought back.

NOTHING to do with Gussy or anybody. A 2A high school coach can do better than BB. He's worst than Jack Crowe he's even a worse coach than John L Smith. Only a total idiot would think he could have been brought back..

Lady Razorback

Quote from: Con el Cerdos on January 04, 2018, 02:32:12 pm
My understanding is that Mr. Rochelle is no longer with the Foundation.  Mike Irwin has a comment about that somewhere in this thread.

True.  He resigned a few years ago in order to "spend more time with his girls."  Friends even repeated this to me again when I wondered if he might be candidate for AD.  Sean during his time at the Foundation had several of the most successful years in donations to the Foundation.  Sean is one of the nicest guys you will meet, and his blood is Arkansas red. 

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on January 04, 2018, 02:41:07 pm
People who wanted BB gone should have zero complaints about the buyout. You got what you wanted so deal with it.

Whatever it took to get rid of BB is fine by me. It will be made up in season tickets.

But we do have a right to complain about the insane unearned buyout that Long got for his bud BB. I am more than happy to deal with it another year of BB would have seen about a 40% decline in season tickets.

Kevin

whoever ok'd long's deal needs to be shown the door
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 04, 2018, 07:39:43 pm
You might want to rethink that. They've got a $160 million project to pay for and crowds of 38,000 won't do it.
Then why did we end up with CCM? I mean if we're rolling in that much dough might as well open up the checkbook and go get someone who is proven.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

rtr

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on January 04, 2018, 09:46:24 pm
Then why did we end up with CCM? I mean if we're rolling in that much dough might as well open up the checkbook and go get someone who is proven.
Couldn't afford the bleeding of fan support and dollars that one more year of Bielema would have continued.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: HeathWimp on January 04, 2018, 08:02:44 pm
Dude, are you still upset that Bielema is gone?  You were one of his biggest supporters, I get it, but I don't think he's coming back.
Not a fan of just throwing money down the drain. As far as being a BB supporter, I have supported every coach at the UofA up until their resignation or termination. Just like I will support CCM up until that point. I promise you this, after his first loss, I wont be calling to have him fired or bemoaning what a bad hire he was.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: rtr on January 04, 2018, 09:50:42 pm
Couldn't afford the bleeding of fan support and dollars that one more year of Bielema would have continued.
We're taking a chance either way if CCM doesn't hit the ground running. It's a gamble for sure.

rtr

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on January 04, 2018, 09:54:11 pm
We're taking a chance either way if CCM doesn't hit the ground running. It's a gamble for sure.
Well on that we can agree.  Sometime you need to hit the jackpot.  By the way, I do support Coach Morris and I think if he is a gamble, it is a calculated one.

urkillnmesmalls

Irony. 

Mike Irwin spent hours on the radio and CLEARLY stated that he had heard rumors, and he reported what he had "heard" from several sources.  He never said anything was concrete, and he never said they were HIS opinions.

Here on Hogville, there were daily posts that were stated as FACT, PROVEN to be wrong over time, and yet the posters just go on largely unfettered with a simple, "What's what I was told." 

Right here in this thread multiple people took shots at Mike Irwin for reporting rumors during open discussions on the radio.  Am I the only one who sees the irony in that, as well as the comedic value? 

Mike hears more from credible sources than any collective 50 posters on this message board.  Taking shots at him for sharing his opinions is NOT a cool move.  I want him here sharing, and if you guys run him off, the board will be worse for it.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

PonderinHog

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 04, 2018, 10:15:01 pm
Irony. 

Mike Irwin spent hours on the radio and CLEARLY stated that he had heard rumors, and he reported what he had "heard" from several sources.  He never said anything was concrete, and he never said they were HIS opinions.

Here on Hogville, there were daily posts that were stated as FACT, PROVEN to be wrong over time, and yet the posters just go on largely unfettered with a simple, "What's what I was told." 

Right here in this thread multiple people took shots at Mike Irwin for reporting rumors during open discussions on the radio.  Am I the only one who sees the irony in that, as well as the comedic value? 

Mike hears more from credible sources than any collective 50 posters on this message board.  Taking shots at him for sharing his opinions is NOT a cool move.  I want him here sharing, and if you guys run him off, the board will be worse for it.   
You and me both, but it's "rite of passage."  I had to get that off my chest.   ;D

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 04, 2018, 10:18:16 pm
You and me both, but it's "rite of passage."  I had to get that off my chest.   ;D

Dangit....yep, you got me on that one.   ;)   I got unfettered right though, but I admit I looked it up to make sure I had it spelled right.   :)
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Sivad

Quote from: Wooderson on January 04, 2018, 12:09:43 pm
Not saying a witch hunt is called for, but maybe how the RF and UofA conduct business should be visited by lawmakers.
Those incompetent demagogues are the very last people I want "visiting" how the RF and UAAD do business.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: rtr on January 04, 2018, 09:58:40 pm
Well on that we can agree.  Sometime you need to hit the jackpot.  By the way, I do support Coach Morris and I think if he is a gamble, it is a calculated one.
it's only a calculated gamble if they got their first choice for HC. They didn't so now it's just a gamble.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: rtr on January 04, 2018, 06:48:28 pm

I will defend any one up until it isn't time to defend them. Always better to be cautious than jump to conclusions that may or may not be accurate. I believe sometimes having overwhelming evidence of being wrong before admitting one is wrong is a good policy. We have enough evidence now. I was wrong and not afraid to admit it.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

A lot of that $160 million is not dough..........it's debt.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: rtr on January 04, 2018, 09:58:40 pm

As are all coaching hires. Some do seem better at first than others.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Sivad on January 04, 2018, 10:50:41 pm
Those incompetent demagogues are the very last people I want "visiting" how the RF and UAAD do business.

No kidding. The Wooderson's of the world need to be careful what they wish for.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

The NewEra

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 04, 2018, 01:00:48 pm
I've been told that Rochelle resigned because he could see that Long would eventually be called onto the carpet for some of the things he was doing through the Foundation. I would be more specific but there is no way to verify some of the things I was told because I can't FOI the Foundation.

So, unlike what some on here would like us to believe, what you are hearing is Long was knee deep in Foundation business even though there is supposed to be clear separation between the UofA and the Foundation.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 04, 2018, 04:18:35 pm
Didn't Mike mention something on Bo's show one day that wasn't accurate regarding the bond issue?
He made comments on Bo's show about the construction and bonds that was made up out of pure cloth.  Irwin is operating under direction from somebody to smear Jeff Long.  It's becoming painfully obvious.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 04, 2018, 04:12:21 pm
Bumpers is deceased. I'd say he abstained, at best.  ;)
Whoever the hell it was that voted against the project.

hogsanity

Irony. 

Well i is because most posters here are simply the blowhards at the bar or at the water cooler or at the coffee show that are just that, blowhards who think because they say it it is okay, and anyone who challenges their opinion is just a shill for someone or loves mediocrity or whatever else they can use to disparage them because they are so immature they can not handle anyone not sharing their opinion.

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on January 04, 2018, 08:31:38 pm
And people just like you and the Mckinney guy will be talking out your asses.
BB had to go there is no one who knows anything and I mean anything about football would think he could have been brought back.

NOTHING to do with Gussy or anybody. A 2A high school coach can do better than BB. He's worst than Jack Crowe he's even a worse coach than John L Smith. Only a total idiot would think he could have been brought back..

Yea, whats funny about the that is I said in October that it was obvious it was not working for BB and was not ever going to work here for him and it was time to move on.

We saw the same thing when HDN left. All many posters said for weeks or months was " Get rid of HDN no matter what " then when he was let go, " I can't believe what he got paid to leave ".

In major college sports it costs money to get rid of a coach unless he is so stupid or arrogant he gives a school reason to fire him for cause ( which is very hard to do the way contracts are written ).  It is just part of it.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Grizzlyfan

Irony. 

The irony here is that everything Mike Irwin said that day on Bo's show about the project and the bonds was completely, 100% wrong. With just a couple of minutes of investigation you would know it was all wrong.  But you are defending him.

ricepig

Quote from: The NewEra on January 05, 2018, 09:49:16 am
So, unlike what some on here would like us to believe, what you are hearing is Long was knee deep in Foundation business even though there is supposed to be clear separation between the UofA and the Foundation.

Oh, the AD's have always been knee deep in Foundation business, I don't think you'll find anyone denying that.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: ricepig on January 05, 2018, 10:23:58 am
Oh, the AD's have always been knee deep in Foundation business, I don't think you'll find anyone denying that.

Yes, it's a fine line...JL may have crossed it.  For all we know that may be the real reason he was fired.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

GuvHog

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 05, 2018, 10:00:36 am
The irony here is that everything Mike Irwin said that day on Bo's show about the project and the bonds was completely, 100% wrong. With just a couple of minutes of investigation you would know it was all wrong.  But you are defending him.

It's because that information did not come from Mike, he was relating what he was told and never stated it as fact, just something he'd heard. Let it go..
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

(notOM)Rebel123

January 05, 2018, 11:33:20 am #186 Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 12:00:17 pm by (notOM)Rebel123
Quote from: GuvHog on January 05, 2018, 11:16:16 am
It's because that information did not come from Mike, he was relating what he was told and never stated it as fact, just something he'd heard. Let it go..

Media members run the risk of backlash when they pass along unsubstantiated information. Right or wrong...that's the way it is. Mike's been around a long time and does a good job.
He's been right a whole heck of a lot more than he's been wrong. Nothing to get too worked up over.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Inhogswetrust

January 05, 2018, 12:15:44 pm #188 Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 12:33:09 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on January 05, 2018, 10:55:42 am
Yes, it's a fine line...JL may have crossed it.  For all we know that may be the real reason he was fired.

The problem is it is difficult to define exactly where that line should be drawn. True at all places. Long did indeed try to cross that line to some. Some on the RF board didn't like it/him from the very beginning but went along to some degree knowing that until something came out that with his support of the UA administration at the time Long was safe. Why would they do that you might ask. It's because they care about the UA and it's athletics department. Long had his supporters and detractors. ALL AD's do. People think that boosters all agree on how things should be done but they disagree sometimes just like everyone else. I know a booster that basically told Long he was not going to do what Long wanted him to do about something not long after he got here.

oldhawg

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 05, 2018, 10:00:36 am

A couple minutes investigation?  You must be a mind reader.  Information just does not flow that quickly or correctly ---- even on CNN or Fox News (as some believe).

hoglady

Quote from: hogsanity on January 04, 2018, 03:09:57 pm
They will be talking about those people until they can not post or talk anymore. It is what still gets responses.

The only thing that will truly make people move on is winning.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hogsanity

Quote from: hoglady on January 05, 2018, 12:30:37 pm
The only thing that will truly make people move on is winning.

Not really, even in 2010 and 2011 there were still plenty of HDN and Gus threads. Those are the things HV was built on. HV was started because people could not complain about HDN on the other boards of the time, then it exploded with all the Gus/HDN/MM stuff. It saw a second, though not as big, spurt with the BP stuff in April 2012. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DeltaBoy

Quote from: HawgWild on January 04, 2018, 11:50:00 am
"Carpetbagger!" In before Delta  ;D

The Shoe fits and Long must wear it. He a rotten thieving Carpetbagger who enriched the Whiskey Pig Farmer he hired. 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 05, 2018, 09:54:49 am
He made comments on Bo's show about the construction and bonds that was made up out of pure cloth.  Irwin is operating under direction from somebody to smear Jeff Long.  It's becoming painfully obvious.
You are completely FOS!

Grizzlyfan

Mike Irwin

Quote from: GuvHog on January 05, 2018, 11:16:16 am
I've stated this many times. You don't do sports talk radio and say, Well gee, I've heard a lot of stuff about this subject but it can't be proven so I'm going to say nothing.

I've heard so much stuff about that North Endzone project it makes my head spin. Two different people have told me that there may end up being a problem with the bonds when the project is turned over to the athletic department. I'm not a banker. I don't deal in bonds. These two people do. They may be right. They may be wrong. I guess we'll find out when the project is completed.

I have also talked with a LR attorney who works for some high dollar Razorback boosters. He says the bonds will be issued no matter what but there's a problem with the total amount to be financed. According to him there's a cap on amount of money that can be used to finance capital improvement projects for the entire U of A system. He says the North Endzone project has the potential to hold up needed projects at other universities in the system and there are a bunch of ticked off people at those places.

As for the ridiculous claim that somebody is feeding me information to smear Jeff Long, get real. Why would I be a part of something like that? For the most part I didn't have a problem with Long. I know a lot of boosters that did but they were mostly spitting into the wind until that infamous BOT meeting.

If I were interested in smearing Jeff Long I would repeat on this board the specifics of what many have told me actually lead to his firing. According to them most of it had to do with his interaction with the Foundation. I'm not in any way saying this is true. As I've said, there is no way to verify any of this because I do not have access to the records of the Foundation.

Hogindasticks

Jerry Jones (and his grandson).....and I don't care really who the coach is, as long as they give 100%(coaching and recruiting), can manage the administration and try to do what is right by the kids.  What else can you ask?  But, if you don't know defense...find someone who does.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 05, 2018, 02:58:15 pm
I've stated this many times. You don't do sports talk radio and say, Well gee, I've heard a lot of stuff about this subject but it can't be proven so I'm going to say nothing.

I've heard so much stuff about that North Endzone project it makes my head spin. Two different people have told me that there may end up being a problem with the bonds when the project is turned over to the athletic department. I'm not a banker. I don't deal in bonds. These two people do. They may be right. They may be wrong. I guess we'll find out when the project is completed.

I have also talked with a LR attorney who works for some high dollar Razorback boosters. He says the bonds will be issued no matter what but there's a problem with the total amount to be financed. According to him there's a cap on amount of money that can be used to finance capital improvement project for the entire U of A system. He says the North Endzone project has the potential to hold up needed projects at other universities in the system and there are a bunch of ticked off people at those places.

As for the ridiculous claim that somebody is feeding me information to smear Jeff Long, get real. Why would I be a part of something like that? For the most part I didn't have a problem with Long. I know a lot of boosters that did but they were mostly spitting into the wind until that infamous BOT meeting.

If I were interested in smearing Jeff Long I would repeat on this board the specifics of what many have told me actually lead to his firing. According to them most of it had to do with his interaction with the Foundation. I'm not in any way saying this is true. As I've said, there is no way to verify any of this because I do not have access to the records of the Foundation.

In bold, I believe this is probably what happened (and I have zero nada sources; just my gut feeling).

JL's interaction with the foundation could be very expensive to RF board members if the IRS found them to be out of compliance of non-profit guidelines.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 05, 2018, 02:30:12 pm
Why?

I have been here for many years and one thing I know about Mike is he is a straight shooter. He is far from a mouth piece for anyone. He is his own man.

He's also not one that is FOS. The things you accuse Mike of is not right.

GuvHog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 05, 2018, 02:58:15 pm

I have also talked with a LR attorney who works for some high dollar Razorback boosters. He says the bonds will be issued no matter what but there's a problem with the total amount to be financed. According to him there's a cap on amount of money that can be used to finance capital improvement projects for the entire U of A system. He says the North Endzone project has the potential to hold up needed projects at other universities in the system and there are a bunch of ticked off people at those places.

Thanks for the reply Mike. I wasn't one who accused you of trying to smear Jeff Long, I don't believe you'd do that. I knew you were just relaying what you've heard.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!