Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Monk to the D-League

Started by AlmaHog2011, December 25, 2017, 05:19:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BayofPigs

Honestly wish him the best. No need to kick him while he's down.
I do wonder how he would have developed under CMA. His defense would be at least better.

rude1

Beat me to it. How about this gem:

"Spin: The Hornets sent both Monk and Dwayne Bacon to the G-League on Monday, marking the first assignment of the season for both players. Monk began the season as a key piece in the rotation, but his playing time has gradually dwindled, and he was averaging just 9.6 minutes per game in the month of December. Monk's long-term potential as an instant-offense scorer remains intriguing, but he can be safely ignored in most season-long fantasy formats at this point."

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/4066262/malik-monk

rude1

Quote from: BayofPigs on December 25, 2017, 05:27:30 pm
I do wonder how he would have developed under CMA. His defense would be at least better.
I wish him nothing of the sorts, and it feels good to watch him failing. Hopefully he doesn't turn this around.

RaisinHog

Quote from: rude1 on December 25, 2017, 05:30:48 pm
I wish him nothing of the sorts, and it feels good to watch him failing. Hopefully he doesn't turn this around.

+1

cram224

I don't know much about G-League, does he get a pay cut? Is this normal for a high round draft pick rookie to be sent down? How often can a player move up or down in each league?

King

rude1

Quote from: cram224 on December 25, 2017, 05:39:54 pm
I don't know much about G-League, does he get a pay cut? Is this normal for a high round draft pick rookie to be sent down? How often can a player move up or down in each league?
No pay cut, NBA contracts are guaranteed. It is normal if a high draft pick is struggling, to get sent down. It's my understanding that a player can be sent down or brought back at the teams discretion.

King Kong

Makes me laugh. I don't feel bad. It's not my fault he is in the D-League.

Clearly he can still become a solid player

Ugly Uncle

Good.

Don't care if I ever hear his name again.

When I do, I hope it is like this.
Retired Radio Host

rzrbackramsfan

Shoulda played for Anderson, I hope to see qualls give monk a lifetime supply of teabags in the g league.

The Hogfather

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on December 25, 2017, 05:48:36 pm
Shoulda played for Anderson, I hope to see qualls give monk a lifetime supply of teabags in the g league.

Probably would've been more prepared for the league, like Portis was. 

HoopS

oldbooniehog

I don't care one itty little bitty bit what happens to Monk, either Malik or Marcus.

Why do people keep posting about Monk here at all?

Don't understand it.

They don't exist anymore, as far as most Hog fans should be concerned.

rude1

Quote from: oldbooniehog on December 25, 2017, 05:54:46 pm
I don't care one itty little bitty bit what happens to Monk, either Malik or Marcus.

Don't understand it.

Well I disagree, I care deeply when the new is bad for him. If he was having a great season, now that wouldn't interest me in the slightest.

The Hogfather

December 25, 2017, 05:58:00 pm #16 Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 07:16:08 pm by The Hogfather
Quote from: oldbooniehog on December 25, 2017, 05:54:46 pm

Don't understand it.

To point out what a mistake it was for him to go play for Calipari.  The guy cann't develop players and doesn't prepare them like Anderson does.

hoglady

Monk wasn't ready for the NBA.

He plays no defense and he's a streaky shooter. When he's on he'll win a game for you and when he's off he'll lose it for you. He'll find some consistency or he'll be out of the league in a few years - because scoring is the only thing he brings to the table.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

870hogfan

Told everyone he reminds me a lot of OJ Mayo.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: King on December 25, 2017, 05:40:39 pm
Business decision, amirite!?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand boom goes the dynamite.

+1
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

jjdlc

I've said it before, the Monks, earned every bit of scorn they receive from Hog fans.  You don't see people here bad mouthing Kevaughn Allen, he left the state with class.  Even Mr. business decision Goodwin doesn't get much lip service.  Monk on the other hand didn't just burn his bridges, he poured napalm on the wreckage, and nuked it from orbit, and continues to antagonize Arkansas fans to this day.  Sorry, but I just can't bring myself to feel sorry for him.

hamsam

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 25, 2017, 05:46:00 pm
Good.

Don't care if I ever hear his name again.

When I do, I hope it is like this.

I concur, sir!
"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008

Adam Stokes

A couple days ago he played ten whole minutes and didn't register a single stat, not a rebound, a missed shot, turnover, nothing. Knew it wouldn't be long.

AlmaHog2011

Plus a thousand if I could.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: The Hogfather on December 25, 2017, 05:50:02 pm
Probably would've been more prepared for the league, like Portis was.

I agree it hurt his development. He sold his self to Kentucky or his brother did.

AlmaHog2011

HoopS

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on December 25, 2017, 07:40:24 pm
Stupid business move..IMO

yessir. Serves him (them) right. They made their decision.

hoglady

Quote from: jjdlc on December 25, 2017, 06:14:21 pm
I've said it before, the Monks, earned every bit of scorn they receive from Hog fans.  You don't see people here bad mouthing Kevaughn Allen, he left the state with class.  Even Mr. business decision Goodwin doesn't get much lip service.  Monk on the other hand didn't just burn his bridges, he poured napalm on the wreckage, and nuked it from orbit, and continues to antagonize Arkansas fans to this day.  Sorry, but I just can't bring myself to feel sorry for him.

No one should feel sorry for him.
He hasn't worked hard to prepare himself for the NBA.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

3of5-2

You know nothing about this kid. I'm guessing your opinion of him is based solely on third hand information, and have never really had any interaction with him. I can tell you this, while you sit on your fat ass eating honey buns and drinking diet cokes, he will be working to get his game where it needs to be to get back in the league.

FATHAWG08

I'm sure Kentucky will take care of him if the NBA doesn't work out..Not!!!! Karma is a beech!!!
I love off season Football!!

The Hogfather

Quote from: 3of5-2 on December 25, 2017, 07:57:36 pm
You know nothing about this kid. I'm guessing your opinion of him is based solely on third hand information, and have never really had any interaction with him. I can tell you this, while you sit on your fat ass eating honey buns and drinking diet cokes, he will be working to get his game where it needs to be to get back in the league.

You tell 'em, Marcus!

Porked Tongue

You know nothing about this kid. 
I do.

He can't defend a lick.  His overall skill set is short.

He's a volume scorer and that is it.

He's not suddenly going to get better at defending.  He might become a better passer because he's only go upside there as he's pegged the downside.

He's used to having the ball and shooting a zillion times.  When he's hot, he's damn good.  When he's not, he's a benchwarmer.

3of5-2

Quote from: Porked Tongue on December 25, 2017, 08:09:24 pm
I do.

He can't defend a lick.  His overall skill set is short.

He's a volume scorer and that is it.

He's not suddenly going to get better at defending.  He might become a better passer because he's only go upside there as he's pegged the downside.

He's used to having the ball and shooting a zillion times.  When he's hot, he's damn good.  When he's not, he's a benchwarmer.
One on one defense is not a requirement in the NBA. There are a few lock down defenders and that's it. It's all about scoring, not shooting. I doubt they will give up on him.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: 3of5-2 on December 25, 2017, 08:14:36 pm
One on one defense is not a requirement in the NBA. There are a few lock down defenders and that's it. It's all about scoring, not shooting. I doubt they will give up on him.

The ability to defend multiple positions keeps guys on rosters.

Scorers are a dime a dozen at the NBA level. Nearly everyone of those guys can play offense.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: 3of5-2 on December 25, 2017, 08:14:36 pm
I'm not saying they will give up on him but I am saying his upside is limited.  He at least needs to be an average defender.  He didn't care about it in high school or college and he sure as hell doesn't now.

If it was all about scoring, he wouldn't be headed to the D-League.

3of5-2

He'll be alright, I'm sure you were the best at your job when you were 21 years old.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: 3of5-2 on December 25, 2017, 08:21:29 pm
He'll be alright, I'm sure you were the best at your job when you were 21 years old.
I see your need to change your argument.....

He fell on draft day for a reason.
He's being send down for a reason(s).

Yes, he's 19(helping you here) but it illustrates after 5+ years of jumping, dunking and Sportscenter highlights that is doesn't equate to PT in the NBA.

He's getting paid for something he can't do right now.

ShadowHawg

The change he needs to make is almost at the DNA level.

He needs to realize he is phenomenal athletically and apply that ability on defense. He has the natural gifts to be a lock down defender in the NBA.

I think if he were to dedicate himself to defense, his offense will pick up as well. If he continues to value offense, he won't be long for the league.

AlmaHog2011

Hey I love me some honey buns! Heated up with a little butter is about as good as it gets.
He sold himself to Kentucky why don't you follow him there? Are you Nick Mason or are you Marcus? You want to fight Mike Irwin? Low class is low class and scum is scum. Hope he ends up broke and homeless...LMAO I don't really wish that but I dang sure don't wish him well.

King Kong

Quote from: 870hogfan on December 25, 2017, 06:10:47 pm
Told everyone he reminds me a lot of OJ Mayo.

At this point OJ was better

Who is our Coach?

He's a 160 pound chucker who can't guard.  This should surprise no one.

Nosboar Accubond

Rocks, glass house, etc.

3kgthog

Quote from: BayofPigs on December 25, 2017, 05:27:30 pm

Have you watched the matador defense our guards play a lot of the time? Good defensive technique isn't taught here.

The Hogfather

Archie Goodwin 2.0

The Hogfather

Quote from: 3kgthog on December 25, 2017, 09:28:18 pm
Have you watched the matador defense our guards play a lot of the time? Good defensive technique isn't taught here.

Give me a break.

The Hogfather

Quote from: ShadowHawg on December 25, 2017, 08:26:42 pm
The change he needs to make is almost at the DNA level.

He needs to realize he is phenomenal athletically and apply that ability on defense. He has the natural gifts to be a lock down defender in the NBA.

I think if he were to dedicate himself to defense, his offense will pick up as well. If he continues to value offense, he won't be long for the league.

Too late.  Can't teach a millenial new tricks.

Kevin

Is Archie in the g league also
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Kevin on December 25, 2017, 09:49:31 pm
Is Archie in the g league also

He has been in the past. Currently unemployed anywhere I believe

farmhawg

Quote from: jjdlc on December 25, 2017, 06:14:21 pm
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

870hogfan

Quote from: King Kong on December 25, 2017, 09:18:38 pm
At this point OJ was better

Yeah I think OJ got rookie of the year than went down hill after that.