Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The SEC school with the best home field advantage is...

Started by Arkiejared, July 20, 2006, 11:42:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkiejared

LSU and Arkansas, tied.  This according to Phil Steele.  Colin Cowherd was running down the list of the best home field advantages conference by conference according to Mr. Steele.  Arkansas and LSU have ~5 pts. advantage at home field.  Good job, HOG fans!  :razorback:

hogsNbeer

July 20, 2006, 11:49:11 am #1 Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 11:54:00 am by hogsNbeer
LSU, I can see....... but us WTH?   Obviously not looking at Conf games.....or vs ranked teams.....We'll see if that happens this year......... We have NO homefield advantage  ..... >:(

nwarazfan

LSU has a game every season you ask, "how the hell did they lose that one in Baton Rouge?"  Even in their NC year, they lost a home game.  Loud stadium and intimidating fans but they too often choke.  Tenn last year is a great example.  Having said that, neither of our stadiums are Death Valley environment right now.

Landonhog

Quote from: hogsNbeer on July 20, 2006, 11:49:11 am
LSU, I can see....... but us WTH?   Obviously not looking at Conf games.....or vs ranked teams.....We'll see if that happens this year......... We have know homefield advantage  ..... >:(

I understand what your saying, but what do you think Texas would think about playing in Fayettville? 

go hogues

Only if the "home field" he was attending when he made that call was WMS.  There is no way RRS would rank even in the upper half of the conference.  I would probably say LSU, Florida or Auburn.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Arkiejared

LSU, I can see....... but us WTH?   Obviously not looking at Conf games.....or vs ranked teams.....We'll see if that happens this year......... We have know homefield advantage  ..... >:(

Now, just because it's a good atmosphere doesn't mean it can make our team unsucky.  I was wondering how much of an impact the LR games has on Steele's comments, too.

hogsNbeer

Quote from: Landonhog on July 20, 2006, 11:51:36 am
LSU, I can see....... but us WTH?   Obviously not looking at Conf games.....or vs ranked teams.....We'll see if that happens this year......... We have know homefield advantage  ..... >:(

I understand what your saying, but what do you think Texas would think about playing in Fayettville? 
... Looking at the big picture here....

EastexHawg

I wish we played Auburn, Florida, Tennessee, and Georgia in WMS so we could put this "we never lose at the Rock!" stuff to bed.

Does anything think maybe, just maybe, our Little Rock record may have something to do with the opposition...the fact that we always play at least one non-conference creampuff there, along with some of our lesser SEC opponents (Kentucky in 1998, South Carolina in 2003, Mississippi State last year)?

The LSU game every other year is the only premier opponent we ever play in Little Rock.  They were 4-7 when we beat them there in 1998.  They were 8-4...and had lost to Alabama-Birmingham and been smoked 41-9 by Florida...when we beat them in the muck in 2000.  We beat an 8-5 LSU team in a miracle in 2002...a season in which they lost four of their last six, with the only wins coming over Kentucky (33-30, the Bluegrass Miracle) and a 7-6 Ole Miss squad (14-13).  Alabama had humiliated them 31-0 in a game that was not as close as the score indicated, and Auburn beat the crap out of them 31-7.

And, of course...we got smoked like a cigar when they brought in one of their better teams in 2004.

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on July 20, 2006, 12:07:58 pm
I wish we played Auburn, Florida, Tennessee, and Georgia in WMS so we could put this "we never lose at the Rock!" stuff to bed.

Does anything think maybe, just maybe, our Little Rock record may have something to do with the opposition...the fact that we always play at least one non-conference creampuff there, along with some of our lesser SEC opponents (Kentucky in 1998, South Carolina in 2003, Mississippi State last year)?

The LSU game every other year is the only premier opponent we ever play in Little Rock.  They were 4-7 when we beat them there in 1998.  They were 8-4...and had lost to Alabama-Birmingham and been smoked 41-9 by Florida...when we beat them in the muck in 2000.  We beat an 8-5 LSU team in a miracle in 2002...a season in which they lost four of their last six, with the only wins coming over Kentucky (33-30, the Bluegrass Miracle) and a 7-6 Ole Miss squad (14-13).  Alabama had humiliated them 31-0 in a game that was not as close as the score indicated, and Auburn beat the crap out of them 31-7.

And, of course...we got smoked like a cigar when they brought in one of their better teams in 2004.

Now dont cofuse the issue by brining in FACTS.  IF we played all out games in WMS, we would be on a 500 game home win streak. 

Fact is people like WMS for 2 reasons:  1.  Getting stone stupid throwing up their liver drunk, and only having to walk from the golf course to the game  and 2:  Being able to get stone stupid drunk quicker after the game. 

I personally wont go to any games in WMS because the "fans" there amke it intollerable, especially if you have young children you might like to take.

As for Steel.  I think he was taking alot of things into account other than record.  Things like travel time for opponents to get here.  6pm starts for many games, so they just have to sit around all day.  And a ton of other things.  Steel is very thorough in everything he does.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

LA HAWG

I would say that Florida is a tough place to play.  That is the only place we haven't won in the league except for Kentucky. ::)

hogsanity

Quote from: LA HAWG on July 20, 2006, 12:17:38 pm
I would say that Florida is a tough place to play.  That is the only place we haven't won in the league except for Kentucky. ::)

We won at KY in 7 OTS
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsNbeer

Quote from: hogsanity on July 20, 2006, 12:22:53 pm

We won at KY in 7 OTS

Still sad to think it took that long to beat KENTUCKY....

nwarazfan

Quote from: hogsanity on July 20, 2006, 12:14:39 pm

Now dont cofuse the issue by brining in FACTS.  IF we played all out games in WMS, we would be on a 500 game home win streak. 

Fact is people like WMS for 2 reasons:  1.  Getting stone stupid throwing up their liver drunk, and only having to walk from the golf course to the game  and 2:  Being able to get stone stupid drunk quicker after the game. 

I personally wont go to any games in WMS because the "fans" there amke it intollerable, especially if you have young children you might like to take.

As for Steel.  I think he was taking alot of things into account other than record.  Things like travel time for opponents to get here.  6pm starts for many games, so they just have to sit around all day.  And a ton of other things.  Steel is very thorough in everything he does.

Your description of why fans like WMS could go for Tiger Stadium too just without the golf course.  Stupid-level drunk must be high on Steele's criteria.  Where I won't go as far as say I won't go to WMS because I do and I do have a FEW beers before a game, I agree that the level of redneck stupidity has gotten out of hand.  A sign should have been when they had to ban couches because of fear that they would be ignited.  WMS is often a poor place for a family and that is sad considering how many of us grew up going to games in WMS.  Now chances are high you'll have some idiots around you who will pull cans of Busch out of their pants right there in the stands next to you.

GuvHog

Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Arkiejared on July 20, 2006, 11:42:04 am
LSU and Arkansas, tied.  This according to Phil Steele.  Colin Cowherd was running down the list of the best home field advantages conference by conference according to Mr. Steele.  Arkansas and LSU have ~5 pts. advantage at home field.  Good job, HOG fans!  :razorback:

That may be if it counts non-conference games at both WMS and RRS but if you count only SEC games at RRS, I guarantee you that there is no home field advantage for the Hogs at RRS. It's an advantage for the SEC visitors since 2001 season as the Hogs have a losing SEC record since and including the '01 season in RRS.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HognotinMemphis

Texas would think, "We'll beat them like we always have. Might be a close one, but they'll choke and we'll win."
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Conway Cool Daddy

Florida - The Swamp is near impossible to win at. Ask Tennessee.
RRS definetly hasn't been anything to brag about,  ...........so far. Maybe we'll change that
come September.

hogsanity

The list is based on how many point Steel thinks the home tram gets just by being at home.  He thinks the hogs a tigers get about 5 per game ( filed goal and safety i guess ).  It is not based just on records or the 2 stadium ( puke ) split or anything else.  Just that he thinks the Hogs play about 5 pts better at home.

hogfan064

Don't forget the Hogs beat a top 10 South Carolina team at WMS in 2001. Carlos Hall's Block at the Rock.  MJ made his first big play at Arkansas on 4th and 10

PigKahuna

QuoteThe list is based on how many point Steel thinks the home tram gets just by being at home.  He thinks the hogs a tigers get about 5 per game ( filed goal and safety i guess ).  It is not based just on records or the 2 stadium ( puke ) split or anything else.  Just that he thinks the Hogs play about 5 pts better at home.

Exactly.  He's evaluating the net effect of all factors (crowd, stadium, etc) on the outcome of games, not how good the team is.

jdurham

Arkansas beat Georgia in Athens when Lunney was QB.
Believe it was 10-7 or something like that.

nwarazfan

Quote from: GUVHOG on July 20, 2006, 12:26:05 pm
News Flash.....We haven't won at Georgia Either.
Nobody could be as wrong as many time as you are on purpose.  Ford's 93 team won at UGa 20-10.  Every thread you jump in, you start spouting out incorrect information.  Go back over to The Hill and leave the bitterness of the Gus Resignation story behind and stop trying to derail every thread here with ridiculousness.

LA HAWG

Quote from: hogsanity on July 20, 2006, 12:22:53 pm

We won at KY in 7 OTS

How could I have forgotten that one.  My bad.  So Florida is the only one.

LA HAWG

Guv, we have won at Georgia, 20-10 in 1993.

cbjagman

While I have a great deal of respect for Steele I would have to argue with his comments, at least as it applies to RRS. If you take BOTH WMS and RRS combined then it would think it would look much more favorable. However, when it applies strictly to Fayetteville I really can't think of any seasons that stand out that would make me think we've got some great home field advantage. I can't recall beating any ranked there in the past 4 or 5 years; unfortunately we almost always have one or more losses we should not have. I've said it many times before that RRS offers little, if any, advantage to the Hogs. Really disgusting IMHO.

GuvHog

Quote from: LA HAWG on July 20, 2006, 12:37:22 pm

Guv, we have won at Georgia, 20-10 in 1993.

OOPS! My bad. Thanks for the info. +1

hogfan064

Quote from: cbjagman on July 20, 2006, 12:41:24 pm
While I have a great deal of respect for Steele I would have to argue with his comments, at least as it applies to RRS. If you take BOTH WMS and RRS combined then it would think it would look much more favorable. However, when it applies strictly to Fayetteville I really can't think of any seasons that stand out that would make me think we've got some great home field advantage. I can't recall beating any ranked there in the past 4 or 5 years; unfortunately we almost always have one or more losses we should not have. I've said it many times before that RRS offers little, if any, advantage to the Hogs. Really disgusting IMHO.

Location maybe?  I know it sounds crazy, but people always talk about the trip to Fayetteville being tough even by plane, especially East schools.

Porkerpower

Hogsanity, I've taken my young kids to Little Rock games for the last 5 years and have NEVER had even one bad incident to deal with.  We have not once been exposed to any of the things you're describing. 

And if and when we do, I'll explain to my kids that some people make those kinds of choices, and that's life.  As long as they don't do it in front of us, I say to each his own.
Not to say it doesn't happen, cause it does.  But most folks are respectful.

hydrophonic

Quote from: nwarazfan on July 20, 2006, 12:25:59 pmNow chances are high you'll have some idiots around you who will pull cans of Busch out of their pants right there in the stands next to you.

*GASP*

NO!  I wouldn't go to WMS either if I thought I might have to stand next to somebody drinking a... a... a...  *GASP*  a beer!

Oh wait...  yes I would.  Not only that, but I DO go to games at WMS.  I guess I'm going to hell.
"The future sucks." "Change it."

nwarazfan

Quote from: hydrophonic on July 20, 2006, 01:04:51 pm
Quote from: nwarazfan on July 20, 2006, 12:25:59 pmNow chances are high you'll have some idiots around you who will pull cans of Busch out of their pants right there in the stands next to you.

*GASP*

NO!  I wouldn't go to WMS either if I thought I might have to stand next to somebody drinking a... a... a...  *GASP*  a beer!

Oh wait...  yes I would.  Not only that, but I DO go to games at WMS.  I guess I'm going to hell.

If you are going to quote me, quote my entire statement and don't take something out of context to be a smartass. 

RebelHawg

Night games at LSU. All the drunk cajun's it gets crazy. I can see Arkansas being up there also because the simple fact that I have always loved the hogs.

GuvHog

Quote from: nwarazfan on July 20, 2006, 12:36:00 pm
Nobody could be as wrong as many time as you are on purpose.  Ford's 93 team won at UGa 20-10.  Every thread you jump in, you start spouting out incorrect information.  Go back over to The Hill and leave the bitterness of the Gus Resignation story behind and stop trying to derail every thread here with ridiculousness.

I have already admitted that error and apologized for it.
I have never posted on any other except Hogville, and I will never post on any other board
because Hogville is by far the best. I have never intentionally derailed any thred and will never do so. When a post of mine is proven to be incorrect (and there have been a lot) I quickly
and without hesitation apologize. By the way, I'm not now, or have I ever been bitter about
the Gus thing. I happen to think he'll be a great OC.

kuhog

Quote from: Porkerpower on July 20, 2006, 12:56:27 pm
Hogsanity, I've taken my young kids to Little Rock games for the last 5 years and have NEVER had even one bad incident to deal with.  We have not once been exposed to any of the things you're describing. 

And if and when we do, I'll explain to my kids that some people make those kinds of choices, and that's life.  As long as they don't do it in front of us, I say to each his own.

I am right there with you. I have been taking my children to LR games for nearly 10 years. I have not ever witnessed anything out of the ordinary. Yeah, I have seen some questionable behavior in the past, but I have seen the same behavior at RRS as well. However, what I do notice, are more passionate Razorback fans attending WMS when compared to RRS. So I am sure that Colin Cowherd largely considered WMS when compiling information for "home field advantage". If it were dependant solely on RRS, we would be somewhere in the middle of the SEC.

nwarazfan

July 20, 2006, 01:43:07 pm #33 Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 01:47:37 pm by nwarazfan
No, Cowherd as well as other members of the national media care nothing about and know nothing about WMS.  He was reading from a magazine.  You people act like WMS is some legendary place in college football.  Maybe 20 plus years ago, old commentators like Keith Jackson or Beano knew a little about WMS.  Nobody nationally gives a s*** about it now.  Its a pint sized dump compared to college football's great stadiums.

wincrimson

I'd go w/ Florida when they're in a good year.

Otherwise, AL, UF, AU, LSU, UT, and UGA are all gonna be contenders. . .

scorekeeper

If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

Big Hawg 21

Quote from: nwarazfan on July 20, 2006, 01:43:07 pm
No, Cowherd as well as other members of the national media care nothing about and know nothing about WMS.  He was reading from a magazine.  You people act like WMS is some legendary place in college football.  Maybe 20 plus years ago, old commentators like Keith Jackson or Beano knew a little about WMS.  Nobody nationally gives a s*** about it now.  Its a pint sized dump compared to college football's great stadiums.

I agree.  I wish we didnt play there at all..Its embarrassing to think that a game there would be on national TV (LSU).  The place is a dump..The city needs to spend the money to match RRS or we should bring all the games to Fayetteville.

wacohog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on July 20, 2006, 12:29:18 pm
LSU, I can see....... but us WTH?   Obviously not looking at Conf games.....or vs ranked teams.....We'll see if that happens this year......... We have know homefield advantage  ..... >:(

Texas would think, "We'll beat them like we always have. Might be a close one, but they'll choke and we'll win."

Well, that's not quite what my UT friends are thinking about their return to Arkansas a few yrs from now. In fact, most down here are wondering why in the hell they have to play us again. There is a great deal of respect(and dislike) for Arkansas here amongst Texas fans because of our shared history(rather one-sided as it is.)

Infact, most are quite perplexed as to why we have allowed ourselves to become a shadow of what THEY perceive we once were.

What a shame....

kuhog

Are we just a little bitter?

GorillaJMonsoon

Does anything think maybe, just maybe, our Little Rock record may have something to do with the opposition...the fact that we always play at least one non-conference creampuff there, along with some of our lesser SEC opponents (Kentucky in 1998, South Carolina in 2003, Mississippi State last year)
Kentucky in '98 had Tim Couch and at that point led the nation in passing offense among other stats.  He put on a clinic and we were lucky to survive that one.  The South Carolina team that we played wasn't really that good and we were lucky to win on a blocked FG at the end.  I won't even mention MissSt. last year, they were worse than usual.

Biggus Piggus

Arkansas home (Fayetteville) record in SEC games since Nutt took over:

11-12, or 7-12 since 2000.

Little Rock record in SEC games under Nutt:

9-1.

Somebody tell Jerry Reith about our great homefield advantage.
[CENSORED]!

Arkiejared

Quote from: kuhog on July 20, 2006, 01:32:27 pm
Quote from: Porkerpower on July 20, 2006, 12:56:27 pm

I am right there with you. I have been taking my children to LR games for nearly 10 years. I have not ever witnessed anything out of the ordinary. Yeah, I have seen some questionable behavior in the past, but I have seen the same behavior at RRS as well. However, what I do notice, are more passionate Razorback fans attending WMS when compared to RRS. So I am sure that Colin Cowherd largely considered WMS when compiling information for "home field advantage". If it were dependant solely on RRS, we would be somewhere in the middle of the SEC.

Man, what section do Y'ALL sit in?  We sit by lunatics every time we go to a WMS game.  The fans are MUCH more passionate, though.  We always get tired of people telling us to sit down at games at RRS.  You're at a freakin' football game!!!  Stand up!  Wouldn't work in College Station.

Arkiejared

Quote from: PigKahuna on July 20, 2006, 12:33:46 pm
QuoteThe list is based on how many point Steel thinks the home tram gets just by being at home.  He thinks the hogs a tigers get about 5 per game ( filed goal and safety i guess ).  It is not based just on records or the 2 stadium ( puke ) split or anything else.  Just that he thinks the Hogs play about 5 pts better at home.

Exactly.  He's evaluating the net effect of all factors (crowd, stadium, etc) on the outcome of games, not how good the team is.

Yes, this is what he was saying....sorry if I confused anyone.  I wonder if he is using past Vegas lines to help him determine this, too.

nwarazfan

Quote from: kuhog on July 20, 2006, 04:07:26 pm

Now why would I be bitter?  All the games are coming my way to where they should be, in a 72,000 seat modern stadium ON CAMPUS.  The bitter ones are the posters that have to start the WMS praise and how sorry RRS is as a home field every time a subject coming anywhere close to regarding a stadium is mentioned.  They are the ones crying.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Arkiejared on July 20, 2006, 08:35:41 pm
Quote from: PigKahuna on July 20, 2006, 12:33:46 pm

Yes, this is what he was saying....sorry if I confused anyone.  I wonder if he is using past Vegas lines to help him determine this, too.

If he's saying that, it's an even more bull conclusion.  Fayetteville has been like a morgue during many of those dozen losses.  Too many old people asleep in their seats on the west side.
[CENSORED]!

GBPackerFan

Quote from: nwarazfan on July 20, 2006, 08:44:41 pm
Quote from: kuhog on July 20, 2006, 04:07:26 pm

Now why would I be bitter?  All the games are coming my way to where they should be, in a 72,000 seat modern stadium ON CAMPUS.  The bitter ones are the posters that have to start the WMS praise and how sorry RRS is as a home field every time a subject coming anywhere close to regarding a stadium is mentioned.  They are the ones crying.
You are not a very fun person to hang out with, are you?

Big Papa Satan

Steele had to have been counting WMS instead of The Glorified Tomb That Is RRS when he was pulling up those rankings.

Castigate WMS all you like, but many of those Fayetteville losses in the past few years would've been wins in Little Rock.

hogsanity

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on July 21, 2006, 09:35:18 am
Steele had to have been counting WMS instead of The Glorified Tomb That Is RRS when he was pulling up those rankings.

Castigate WMS all you like, but many of those Fayetteville losses in the past few years would've been wins in Little Rock.

You can not assume that any game lost in RRS would have certainly been a win in WMS!  You can think it, you can say might have, but there is no way to know.  What I do know is, that when they finally played a REAL team in LR ( LSu 2004 ) the hogs got pasted, waxed, and used to mop the field at WMS. 

Big Papa Satan

July 21, 2006, 10:14:12 am #48 Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 10:16:33 am by Uncle Ivan
Quote from: hogsanity on July 21, 2006, 09:46:24 amYou can not assume that any game lost in RRS would have certainly been a win in WMS!  You can think it, you can say might have, but there is no way to know.  What I do know is, that when they finally played a REAL team in LR ( LSu 2004 ) the hogs got pasted, waxed, and used to mop the field at WMS.

Yeah, Kentucky in 1998 wasn't a real team.

Mississippi State in 1999 sure wasn't worth a damn.

LSU in 2000 must've been Teh Suck.  Boise State that same year didn't do much.

South Carolina in 2001 wasn't legit.

LSU didn't do jack in 2002, eh.

Look up their records if you care to.

Like it or not, but you've got no leg to stand on with that point.

The 2003 Auburn game would've been a win in Little Rock.  I was in the west stands for that one.  When you're undefeated, #7 in the country, and in the fourth quarter your crowd seems more concerned with sitting on their hands and occasionally booing the ** officiating than making actual noise, there's a problem.

nwarazfan

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on July 21, 2006, 09:35:18 am

I guess crowd noise forces Nutt to call plays differently.  Nutt must organize game plans differently for LR.  If last year's So Car game would have been in LR, Nutt would have never gone for it on 4th and 1 from his own 29 with a qb running his 4th ever college play.  In 03, it was a lack of crowd noise that caused our offense to only put up 3 pts vs AU.  If only that game had been in LR, it would have been so loud we would have scored 40.  It was so quiet vs Bama in 02 that our defense decided to vacate the middle of the field on the first play from scrimmage to allow a TD.  If only they had been in LR, because that has never happened vs Bama there.