Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Interesting Note from Wally Hall's Column Today

Started by WilsonHog, November 16, 2017, 04:37:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

"He (Jeff Long) also started losing some wealthy donors more than a year ago, in particular a die-hard former Razorback athlete and successful businessman who began a quiet study of the athletic department practices."

"The board of trustees didn't just show up last Thursday and suddenly have a vote to change athletic directors. This was a work in progress for at least three years."

HawgWild

I swore off Wally's column after the HDN debacle years back but I did read him today. I thought he was spot on with his assessment.

nichc85

I heard about a month ago that he might not survive TB.

tbailey

Boarcephus

Wally indicated on Finebaum yesterday that Long played favorites with the BOT.  He treated 3 of them much better than some of the others and it pissed one of them off.  Whoever he made mad started compiling a case against Long and laid it out to the other members step by step.  What started off 5-5 split on keeping Long slid to 9-1 over time to ditching him.  Whether this is true I have no idea but with what's coming out, he may be dead right.   
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Wooderson

Give me liberty, or give me death!

IronHog

Long made it 7 more years than he should have following up JFB....

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

MNHogFan

Wally is a politician, he waits and sees which way the crowd is going and then jumps in front as a leader.

Oklahawg

Quote from: IronHog on November 16, 2017, 07:17:27 pm

Ten years following a legend is most impressive.

Over the years you piss people off. Some never get over it. First one, then another. Soon, you have enough to take you down.

Every little thing potentially offended someone important.  I bet Jeff never again underestimates the value of football wins to calm a fanbase and get them off of the ledge.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: IronHog on November 16, 2017, 07:17:27 pm

He was here a decade longer than he should've been.  When right off the bat he pursued Tommy Bowden it demonstrated that he brought with him an outsider's perspective of the potential of the Razorback football program.

EastexHawg

Long presided over our two major men's sports descending to their lowest combined level in 100 years, the Board of Trustees overwhelmingly lost confidence in him, and the Chancellor didn't allow him to find another job, he fired him.

And yet...we have a lot of people on this board who are convinced we needed him to stay on.

It's one of the most bizarre things I have ever seen.

idochog

Winning would have made A lot of people look the other way
I love Jesus!

Fort Dweller

Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

Boarcephus

Quote from: Hoggish1 on November 16, 2017, 08:05:31 pm
Correct

Perhaps if Long hadn't been so arrogant, he would have taken the time to find out who Boyer was and what he meant to Razorback fans before he stiffed him. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

IronHog

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 16, 2017, 07:43:49 pm

Over the years you piss people off. Some never get over it. First one, then another. Soon, you have enough to take you down.

Every little thing potentially offended someone important.  I bet Jeff never again underestimates the value of football wins to calm a fanbase and get them off of the ledge.

I think JLs firing indicates a strong possibility that the Gus bus will return to UofA.

Most ADs woulda put B.B. on the short leash after last season promises or not......JL appeared to try in a nice way to be fired.

He went out in control
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

DeltaBoy

Long has now driven 2 solid Football programs in the ditch! Pitt and Ark! He should have been canned several years ago!

Nothing Worse than a Carpet Bagger Yankee coming down here screwing things up and leaving with millions of dollars!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

SooieGeneris

Quote from: MNHogFan on November 16, 2017, 07:21:06 pm
Wally is a politician, he waits and sees which way the crowd is going and then jumps in front as a leader.

Exactly! I nearly threw up yesterday when Wee Wally was on Finebaum and Paul just gushed all over him as if Wally was some kind of Godfather of UA athletics.

That little weasel never turns on any coach or AD or criticizes much until it's obvious they are on the way out..
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 16, 2017, 09:46:04 pm
Long has now driven 2 solid Football programs in the ditch! Pitt and Ark! He should have been canned several years ago!

Nothing Worse than a Carpet Bagger Yankee coming down here screwing things up and leaving with millions of dollars!
Nothing is worse than that? You can't think of anything worse? Like slavery isn't worse?

bondhue

He was such a good AD that reading about the program's struggles is now more interesting than watching the games.
That's a pretty girl.  I caught her twice.  12.5 pounds.  I hope she's still alive.

PygmalionEffect2

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 16, 2017, 07:55:40 pm
Long presided over our two major men's sports descending to their lowest combined level in 100 years, the Board of Trustees overwhelmingly lost confidence in him, and the Chancellor didn't allow him to find another job, he fired him.

And yet...we have a lot of people on this board who are convinced we needed him to stay on.

You should get out more. 
President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

hawgball40

Quote from: Karma on November 16, 2017, 10:04:36 pm
Nothing is worse than that? You can't think of anything worse? Like slavery isn't worse?
wow, you're a troll. that was way out of line.

hoglady

Quote from: bondhue on November 16, 2017, 10:10:12 pm
He was such a good AD that reading about the program's struggles is now more interesting than watching the games.

I had to laugh at that - because is it so TRUE!!
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

GoHogs1091

Waldo Hall's column??? (I presume Wally is short for Waldo).

It probably should be called the daily effort instead of a column.

mckinneyhog5

Your boy was still fired WITH cause payed nothing and told to GTFO and is now struggling to win games. Your infatuation with BP is bizarre.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

AflacHawg

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on November 16, 2017, 11:01:37 pm
Your boy was still fired WITH cause payed nothing and told to GTFO and is now struggling to win games. Your infatuation with BP is bizarre.

and yet that team would skull Frank anything that buffet Bert would put on the field.

searkhogfan

Wow,  the Dumbest post of the day.  But it's still early.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

GuvHog

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on November 16, 2017, 11:01:37 pm

Struggling?? He's on course to go 8-4 in regular season play and go to a good Bowl game. I'd take that over being headed for 4-8 and not going to a bowl under Bret anytime.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

jkstock04

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 16, 2017, 07:43:49 pm

He pissed a lot of people off that first couple of years especially. It got a little overlooked because we were winning football games....or on track to winning football games. His decisions subsequently flushed the football program straight down the toilet, giving people more reason to jump.

He will go down as a polarizing AD, many thinking he did wondorous things for our program that will impossible for anyone else to replicate. Others will believe he was awful, didn't care about anything except his own self promotion at the expense of the football program.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Boarcephus

Quote from: hawgball40 on November 16, 2017, 10:26:01 pm
wow, you're a troll. that was way out of line.

Good to see your troll detector is working.  :) 

Hogwild

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 17, 2017, 07:28:02 am
He will go down as a polarizing AD, many thinking he did wondorous things for our program that will impossible for anyone else to replicate. Others will believe he was awful, didn't care about anything except his own self promotion at the expense of the football program.

I disagree that he was polarizing, in my opinion he flat out sucked at his job and vast majority will see it that way.  I have no idea how someone can really believe that Long "did wondorous things for our program."My belief that once we get a professional, competent athletic director, we will see the difference.  For the past 50 years our athletics have been run by two men (Frank & Jeff), hopefully we are about to have a quality AD that will put winning games as a priority.

razorcash2

What's that got to do with this?

Razorbackers

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 16, 2017, 04:37:10 pm
"The board of trustees didn't just show up last Thursday and suddenly have a vote to change athletic directors. This was a work in progress for at least three years."

So they sign off on his huge contract 2 years ago.

Smart.

sowmonella

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 16, 2017, 09:46:04 pm

Almost 70,000 posts like this gem.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 16, 2017, 04:37:10 pm
"He (Jeff Long) also started losing some wealthy donors more than a year ago, in particular a die-hard former Razorback athlete and successful businessman who began a quiet study of the athletic department practices."

I assumed he was referring to JJ.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: MNHogFan on November 16, 2017, 07:21:06 pm
Orville Henry did same thing. He gave Holtz the reach around for 7 years then when it was announced he was fired, Henry bashed him mercilessly. They are all similar character in that way.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HognotinMemphis

Agree on all points in your comment. First one is hard fact. As for the people who think firing him is a mistake, their reasoning, if they have any, is worthless and dumb.

GWFan

Quote from: GuvHog on November 17, 2017, 07:22:04 am
Struggling?? He's on course to go 8-4 in regular season play and go to a good Bowl game. I'd take that over being headed for 4-8 and not going to a bowl under Bret anytime.
Petrino is 3-4 conf right now.  10-4 good buddy =D

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 16, 2017, 10:54:16 pm
Waldo Hall's column??? (I presume Wally is short for Waldo).

It probably should be called the daily effort instead of a column.
I don't know....maybe, "Walter". But you're probably right.