Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Something else is going on here

Started by Martygit, November 15, 2017, 07:05:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sickboy

My conspiracy feeling is that Long probably wanted to run a clean program and that ain't gonna fly with Gus or the powers that be.

farmhawg

Quote from: MartinGit on November 15, 2017, 07:58:27 pm
I would agree except for the fact that JL is so respected from a national standpoint that he was chosen as the chairman of the first and only committee created to choose the football playoffs teams and continues to be on that committee and, today, that committee voted unanimously to ask him to remain on that committee
until feb of 2018.....a few months and to finish the season.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: icymcfadden on November 15, 2017, 08:34:08 pm
I've heard something else is going on.

My source says a reporter told her: "that there is some type of scandal about to come out. There is a sports reporter says he got fired for "a story that is about to come out" like he tried to "cover up" something 😱
"Yeah, apparently there are rumors of him taking money from the Athletic department, which is a public entity, and putting money into the football program to pay for the stadium.

"Also there is some rumor about him helping cover up a rape."

Idk if it's true just what someone told me her client a reporter told her. She said there was a lot she couldn't talk about but it seemed like the firing was more then the bad hires.

We will see

7th hand info is always really neato

bennyl08

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 15, 2017, 08:27:51 pm
I wouldn't be worried about donations. Get someone who relates to the Arkansas fan base more as an AD and a HC who makes football more exciting and wins a few more along the way and you won't have a problem getting donations or selling tickets.

Broyles related to the fan base more than Long. Barely, but technically won more total games than Long as an SEC AD, though the highs weren't as high. Money was a lot lower then in donations, tickets, merchandising, and so on.

So, based on a few decades of evidence within our own program, comparing two pretty successful AD's in Broyles and Long, winning more and being more relatable did not lead to more money.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

farmhawg

Quote from: sickboy on November 15, 2017, 08:38:49 pm
My conspiracy feeling is that Long probably wanted to run a clean program and that ain't gonna fly with Gus or the powers that be.
Good grief.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

greenie

Quote from: Bret Squealema on November 15, 2017, 07:56:20 pm
It didn't help that Cole Kelley was arrested for DWI this weekend, with CBB obviously not setting a good example in that regard.  May have been the final straw that hastened the process along.

Are you running with the rumor that CBB had a drinking problem? 

DeltaBoy

Quote from: MartinGit on November 15, 2017, 07:05:59 pm
I get it that there are a bunch of you who wanted both JL and BB gone and now, you've gotten 1/2 of that wish.

But, it's the wrong half.  Besides the football program, everything else seems to be in great shape.  So, why fire the AD who has everything in the athletic program cruising along except for the football program - fire the football coach - yeah, I know that there are those who think that JL was fired because he wouldn't fire BB and, if BB is fired before the end of the week, I'll backtrack and agree with you.  But, if BB continues to be the football coach through the end of the season, that reason won't fly. Why fire JL now if you're willing to let BB stay here through the end of the season?  Wait until the end of the season and, then, if JL won't fire BB, fire him then.  Unless BB gets fired by the end of this week, that reason doesn't make sense.

Do you really believe that Long would sacrifice himself for the sake of BB when he knows that the BT/Chancellor can fire him and get rid of the FB coach anyway? Doesn't make any sense that JL would "fall on his sword" when he knows, as any rational person would know, that he can't avoid the ultimate result anyway.

So, what happened today?  The AD got fired but to what end? It has to be that he either did something or refused to do something that no one knows about and something other than firing or not firing BB.  Maybe it will come out down the road and maybe it won't.  It just doesn't make sense that it happened today unless there's some immediate reason to change course.  The people on the BT are astute business people - the fact that this happened today tells me that there's some reason that they needed to get rid of JL today in order to protect the university from something or in order to take advantage of some option that has presented itself that JL wasn't on board with.  Otherwise, it makes no sense for it to happen before the season is over.

We will get crucified nationally because of JL's stature in the national scheme of things.  Something had to have gone on that made the BT willing to suffer that criticism other than whether or not he would fire BB.  Hopefully, we will find out what it is/was, but I doubt it.

I could care less about the National  media! We want a winning Football team !
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

TebowHater

Quote from: snoblind on November 15, 2017, 07:42:57 pm
My 2 cents. 

Something the BOT was told last week turned out not to be true or additional information was found out.  it went from "find another job" to "you're fired" in a week.

He was probably fired last week. They likely just gave him a week to notify appropriate channels, talk to CFP, etc.

Dionysos25

Surely it was the Anthracite uniforms and vertical hog logo.
"Once again we've hit philosophical bedrock with the shovel of a stupid question."

dmaxfan

Did anyone hear Jeff long cussing on a recorded conversation big dave has been playing?  Don't know where it came from but jeff seamed a little pissed. It aired earlier this week
No, you don't have any sources and no one believes you.

GuvHog

Quote from: snoblind on November 15, 2017, 07:42:57 pm
My 2 cents. 

Something the BOT was told last week turned out not to be true or additional information was found out.  it went from "find another job" to "you're fired" in a week. 

This is mos6t likely correct. I have heard that he was funneling money from the Athletic Department to the Foundation  for the NEZ project trying to hide the fact that it is going way over budget. Don't know if that's true though. Messing up Rawleigh Williams insurance papers and costing the Foundation an extra million didn't help his cause either.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hawgon

Quote from: bennyl08 on November 15, 2017, 08:40:42 pm
Broyles related to the fan base more than Long. Barely, but technically won more total games than Long as an SEC AD, though the highs weren't as high. Money was a lot lower then in donations, tickets, merchandising, and so on.

So, based on a few decades of evidence within our own program, comparing two pretty successful AD's in Broyles and Long, winning more and being more relatable did not lead to more money.

A gallon of gas cost a dollar in 1998.  Obviously, today's gas station owners are much smarter and better businessmen than those 20 years ago.

Ironhawg

Quote from: moses_007 on November 15, 2017, 07:59:40 pm
Nothing.  The BOT instructed Steinmetz to fire Jeff Long last Thursday.  I guess the chancellor wanted time to talk to attorneys to be sure everything was in order before he fired him. 

Remember, Steinmetz had Jeff Long fly to the meeting and Jeff sat in an adjacent auditorium for over three hours and was never called to the meeting,,,, but Steinmetz was.

I knew right then it was over for Jeff Long.

Makes perfect sense.  Thank you.

HawgPound

Quote from: bennyl08 on November 15, 2017, 08:09:08 pm
My guess is that Long either did something very bad to warrant being fired...

My question about this. Is if he did something to egregious to be fired why without cause? It seems like if it was for some of the rumors floating around he would be fired with cause and not owed 4+ million.

Jonbo

Okay, this here's the real skinny. Jeff Long is a shape-shifting reptilian alien from Orion's Belt. These other aliens, sometimes called greys, or little green men, but we know them more locally as the GOBN, they're in a rivalry with the shape-shifters that goes back thousands, perhaps billions, of years. Well, these GOBN's, if you will, they're wimpy little things to look at, but in reality they have very powerful brains. They're like the Joe Montana's of the alien kingdom. So anyhow the BoT was supposed to meet to discuss the ancient question of Pepsi vs Coke. Now here's what may have happened. The mercenary, free-agent alien we sometimes know as BP, or he-who-can't-be-trusted-but-he-can-really-coach-football, he sent one of his fem-bots from the athletic department (yes, if you ask someone like Alex Jones who really knows the inside scoop, BP still maintains a network of them in Fayetteville and elsewhere) into the conference room ahead of the meeting. She, it seems, changed out all the tin-foil hats of the BoT's, made with real Reynolds aluminum, for tin-foil hats made of gum wrappers. We all know those don't work as well. So when the BoT's came in and dutifully put on their headgear, the GOBN's were easily able to commandeer their minds. Within a few minutes they had fired Jeff Long. Wait a sec! I'm getting information regarding the Beilema conundrum through my Verizon Cantenna that I've reprogrammed. I'll get back...

HawgPound

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 15, 2017, 08:42:15 pm
I could care less about the National  media! We want a winning Football team !
You better care about national media if you want winning football. Not only is recruiting a national business now but so is perception which tie into rankings.

hawgon

Quote from: HawgPound on November 15, 2017, 08:48:10 pm
My question about this. Is if he did something to egregious to be fired why without cause? It seems like if it was for some of the rumors floating around he would be fired with cause and not owed 4+ million.

The same reason conmen get away with most of their cons.  The victims are too embarrassed their stupidity once they realize what happened to go to the police.

hoghearted

Quote from: HawgPound on November 15, 2017, 08:48:10 pm

bad publicity? Might be better to keep some things quiet, rather than put it out there publicly. just spitballing here....
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on November 15, 2017, 08:47:08 pm
This is mos6t likely correct. I have heard that he was funneling money from the Athletic Department to the Foundation  for the NEZ project trying to hide the fact that it is going way over budget. Don't know if that's true though. Messing up Rawleigh Williams insurance papers and costing the Foundation an extra million didn't help his cause either.

Guv, how can a project be over budget, when there was a GMP? Now, if someone has some proof to this, by all means, put it out there because it sounds of malfeasance.

Porkchop#1

Quote from: CareBear on November 15, 2017, 08:35:26 pm
Bo's minions & ESPN talking head buddies, specifically Dari Nowkah, were all hysterical today. Implying that this makes Arkansas look bad & lamenting the loss of the great Jeff Long & how bad a look it was for our program.
Ridiculous. I feel like we've been very patient with these 2 guys, not me particularly, but fans in general. How many other SEC schools would allow 2 Big-10 guys to take over their football program, tell them that they were previously doing it the wrong way or were somehow wrong in their  approach in the past. Jeff made his own bed by not researching the hire. That's lazy as hell. Dumb as hell too considering how important football is to the University & state as a whole. Jeff was ** to all respected, long time UofA employees. He ostracized former players. Stole at least one donor's parking spot. He got his karma like a mowfukeh. Bert is next. & the media hacks who were lap dogs & selling the sh*t show whilst berating people who dared question things that were becoming obvious are nervous now. I wish them the best, but please leave!
Spot on.

1.  Wise AD Long failed to do his due diligence with Bert, likely because he was all wet over the love note Bert sent him. 

2.  His JLS handling was not above board, structuring the contract to benefit John L's bankruptcy thingey, odd for someone Long on integrity. 

3.  And his amateurish handling of Jessica gate showed the guy was really a novice, a goof, a chump, all hat and no cattle.  Could have easily played it to his huge advantage.  The dummy sold out cheap.

It was his mishandling of Petrino's mess that got him fired, took 6 years, but it got him.  I kinda/sorta always knew/thought it would.

hoglady

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on November 15, 2017, 08:13:09 pm
It happened a week ago.  It became public today.  Long was out of the loop from that point if not before. He had been bleeding BOT support but it reached critical mass recently and the rumors are it was nearly unanaimous.

As Muskogee said they had to dump Long to clear the deck for the hiring on the next coach.  The common sense assumption is that they've already done a deal in principle with Sexton on one of his clients, probably Norvell.

Bielema will have until Saturday Nov 25th to resign quietly.  It will be announced on Sunday Nov. 26th.

Assuming it is Norvell he will be announced the Sunday after the AAC championship game on Dec 2nd.

I heard on the radio today a vote of no confidence on Long by the BOT was 8-2.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Hawgphish on November 15, 2017, 08:26:57 pm
HAHA!  Maybe he broke ground rule #2:  Sleeping over is optional.

"Optional?....now we're getting somewhere."
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

ricepig

Quote from: hoglady on November 15, 2017, 08:54:27 pm
I heard on the radio today a vote of no confidence on Long by the BOT was 8-2.

If they took a vote in executive session they would have violated the law, the vote would have had to have been in the general session.

hawgon

Quote from: ricepig on November 15, 2017, 08:56:21 pm
If they took a vote in executive session they would have violated the law, the vote would have had to have been in the general session.

They didn't take a formal vote.  They did a head count on what it would be but Steinmetz assured them that he would take care of it and an actual vote would not be necessary.

grayhawg

GOBN won the final round, is why Long is gone.

AflacHawg

Quote from: ricepig on November 15, 2017, 07:43:25 pm
How are there cost over runs when there was a GMP(Guaranteed Maximum Price) from the General contractor?

any change orders??  :)

ricepig

Quote from: hawgon on November 15, 2017, 08:57:49 pm
They didn't take a formal vote.  They did a head count on what it would be but Steinmetz assured them that he would take care of it and an actual vote would not be necessary.

So there wasn't a vote, you can't take a head count, either.

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on November 15, 2017, 08:51:55 pm
Guv, how can a project be over budget, when there was a GMP? Now, if someone has some proof to this, by all means, put it out there because it sounds of malfeasance.

That's what I was told. Misappropriation of funds. I wish someone who has proof would post because I too would like to know if it's true. I seriously doubt it has anything to do with CBB because Steinmetz has the power to fire CBB if the AD refuses.

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on November 15, 2017, 08:59:10 pm
That's what I was told. Misappropriation of funds. I wish someone who has proof would post because I too would like to know if it's true. I seriously doubt it has anything to do with CBB because Steinmetz has the power to fire CBB if the AD refuses.

Told by whom?

hoglady

Quote from: ricepig on November 15, 2017, 08:56:21 pm

I'm just repeating what was said on the radio.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: ricepig on November 15, 2017, 08:58:41 pm

Many things go on in Executive sessions that aren't technically "the by the book".
Not just at the UofA either.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

bennyl08

Quote from: hawgon on November 15, 2017, 08:47:22 pm
A gallon of gas cost a dollar in 1998.  Obviously, today's gas station owners are much smarter and better businessmen than those 20 years ago.

Maybe to a simpleton who doesn't think to factor in inflation in the comparison. More money has come into the program under Long than did under Broils when factoring in inflation and when removing outside changes such as the SEC network.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

greenie

Quote from: HawgPound on November 15, 2017, 08:50:14 pm
You better care about national media if you want winning football. Not only is recruiting a national business now but so is perception which tie into rankings.

This^^^

If something nefarious caused the Long firing, it better leak out or they better be ready to explain it to AD candidates somehow.  Using a "we just didn't like him" excuse is not gonna fly with good candidates.

ricepig

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on November 15, 2017, 09:03:14 pm
Many things go on in Executive sessions that aren't technically "the by the book".
Not just at the UofA either.

Not these upstanding men. I actually talked to someone who was in there, he said they all said their piece on the matter, I guess someone was making marks on a paper.....

Hawg Life

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: greenie on November 15, 2017, 07:48:10 pm
I'm afraid that this is all going to be hard to recover from.  Long was a solid AD.  He swung and missed on Bielema (something which every AD does), and somehow this creates such an emotional storm that rational thought was thrown out the window.  I think hiring somebody that is already close to the program is likely a good idea, because convincing someone to come to Arkansas with any tangible AD experience is going to be very hard.  If I were a candidate, the first question I would ask is "why was Jeff Long fired?".  They better have a more believable answer than "winning wasn't important to him".

Why didn't Nebraska hire him? Why didn't Texas hire him?

hawgon

Quote from: ricepig on November 15, 2017, 08:58:41 pm

Yes, they can. 

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on November 15, 2017, 09:00:09 pm
Told by whom?

Not by anyone official, that's why I said I didn't know if it was true. I sure would like to know though.

hawgon

Quote from: bennyl08 on November 15, 2017, 09:04:19 pm
Maybe to a simpleton who doesn't think to factor in inflation in the comparison. More money has come into the program under Long than did under Broils when factoring in inflation and when removing outside changes such as the SEC network.

So, you've looked the books over and made those calculations?

TebowHater

Quote from: 3kgthog on November 15, 2017, 08:19:21 pm
Completely untrue.

You're an idiot. It is an objective fact they are gone. They have no more to sell. Please call RF tomorrow and pretend to try to buy one. I wish you luck.

greenie

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on November 15, 2017, 09:09:21 pm
Why didn't Nebraska hire him? Why didn't Texas hire him?

I don't know.  Do you?
Maybe they found someone they liked better.  Maybe Long didn't want to leave Arkansas.  Could be lots of reasons...maybe they told Long that they fired the previous AD because they just didn't like him.

lasthog

Wants2Win

Quote from: MartinGit on November 15, 2017, 07:58:27 pm
I would agree except for the fact that JL is so respected from a national standpoint that he was chosen as the chairman of the first and only committee created to choose the football playoffs teams and continues to be on that committee and, today, that committee voted unanimously to ask him to remain on that committee
Oh wow that's amazing!!! He's on a playoff committee!!! Pulaski Academy has about the same shot as the hogs of making it into the playoff... never understood how Jeff long being on the playoff committee benefits a cellar dweller Arkansas football program.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: hawg1221 on November 15, 2017, 07:22:52 pm
He stepped on some powerful toes.

And then this season presented an opportunity for all the petty beefs carried on those powerful toes to be cumulatively avenged.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

HawgPound

Quote from: GuvHog on November 15, 2017, 08:59:10 pm
Why would misappropriation of funds not be grounds to fire him with cause and save the 4+ million? If everything we hear is true they had all of the leverage to end things without the university owing him that much money.

ricepig

Quote from: AflacHawg on November 15, 2017, 08:58:18 pm
any change orders??  :)

That, I don't know. It was my understanding that after the approval of the bond issue that they were to get their final bid. What that was, you'll have to ask someone in the athletic department.  ;)

checkraiser88

I think the powers at Hogville are stronger than some of us would even suggest...

redeye

Quote from: hawgon on November 15, 2017, 07:34:42 pm
Maybe they simply fired him before he could take a job somewhere else.  It might have been a you can't quit, you're fired situation.

I've read in a couple of places that JL was leaving for a job with the NCAA.  I have no idea if that's true, but even if it is true, I have a hard time believing that the BOT is that petty.

Personally, I never understood the disapproval for JL.  JFB hired Jack Crowe, so it's not like JL was our first AD to hire the wrong coach.

ricepig

Quote from: lasthog on November 15, 2017, 09:15:18 pm
No scarier words to an owner...

The owner is the one making the change, correct??

TebowHater

Quote from: Wants2Win on November 15, 2017, 09:15:24 pm
Oh wow that's amazing!!! He's on a playoff committee!!! Pulaski Academy has about the same shot as the hogs of making it into the playoff... never understood how Jeff long being on the playoff committee benefits a cellar dweller Arkansas football program.

He clearly isn't arguing it benefits us. He is arguing he was an extremely respected AD and representative of the UA.