Previous topic - Next topic

Sho Nuff

What is your guess?

Fri - Blaine Knight

Sat - Keaton McKinney

Sun - Isaiah Campbell

Who else should compete for a spot?

Knot2brite

Is McKinney even cleared to start the season? I figure Murphy starts on Sunday for a while
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

PorkRyan

Here is my rotation once SEC play starts:

Friday:  Campbell
Saturday:  Knight
Sunday:  Murphy but it wouldn't surprise me if it is Lee.  Lee may be more valuable out of the pen though and that is why I will stick with Murphy

I'd love to see McKinney have a big year, both for the team and for him. 

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

bosshog84

Friday-Knight
Saturday-Campbell
Sunday-Murphy

However, I could also see it playing out where Campbell pitches Friday nights. Knight looked very comfortable last year when they switched him to Saturday. Murphy earned a spot on the weekend rotation with his postseason performances last year.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: bosshog84 on November 14, 2017, 04:16:08 pm
Friday-Knight
Saturday-Campbell
Sunday-Murphy

However, I could also see it playing out where Campbell pitches Friday nights. Knight looked very comfortable last year when they switched him to Saturday. Murphy earned a spot on the weekend rotation with his postseason performances last year.

I'd be just fine with Mr. Lockdown on Saturday ... Murphy has earned the right to start Sundays, and I think he'd do well there.

southarkhog06

Regardless, this is the most arm talent we have had on campus since Stanek was here. I haven't been this excited about a sports season since... maybe ever.

When you have a 1a and 1b type situation, I prefer to put 1a on Saturday. This puts a lot more pressure on the other teams Friday guy, because he knows if he loses then the series may be over already. So, I go:

Friday- Campbell
Saturday- Knight
Sunday- Murphy

I put Murphy in for a few reasons.

1. He earned a spot in the rotation at the end of last year.
2. I like to have a lefty starter in the rotation.
3. I picked him over Lee, because I think Lee can be an AA type Closer.

dotnet

With mid week games against Tech, an improved Texas, Missouri St, Memphis, etc.   the fourth starter is really important too - and even the fifth. 

I wouldn't be surprised if they tried Lee as the fourth starter so he could focus on hitting during the weekends.  The way DVH talked, it seemed like he was looking at Lee as a starter more than in the bullpen at this point

bosshog84

Quote from: dotnet on November 16, 2017, 08:12:24 pm
With mid week games against Tech, an improved Texas, Missouri St, Memphis, etc.   the fourth starter is really important too - and even the fifth. 

I wouldn't be surprised if they tried Lee as the fourth starter so he could focus on hitting during the weekends.  The way DVH talked, it seemed like he was looking at Lee as a starter more than in the bullpen at this point

I agree with this. I think Reindl will be our closer this year. Lee swung the bat well this fall so I would like to see DVH use him as a hitter on weekends. Question is who gets to be the 5th starter? Could it be one of the freshmen (Bonnin/Rutledge)? I guess Loeske could be, but he didn't show me much last year.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: bosshog84 on November 17, 2017, 11:09:02 am
I agree with this. I think Reindl will be our closer this year. Lee swung the bat well this fall so I would like to see DVH use him as a hitter on weekends. Question is who gets to be the 5th starter? Could it be one of the freshmen (Bonnin/Rutledge)? I guess Loeske could be, but he didn't show me much last year.

Dave's MO has been to identify a Freshman or Sophomore with weekend starter potential and start him mid-week to help him cut his teeth...I expect to see at least one Freshman start mid-week, and maybe two if the potential is there.

ucahogfan

Friday - Blaine Knight - You have to go with your stud on Friday night.  We have a proven stud in Knight.  A potential top 2 round pick in June, our Friday night guy will go up against some of the following pitchers in SEC play this year:

Kentucky - Reigning SEC Pitcher of the Year Sean Hjelle
Florida - Potential top 5 pick Brady Singer
Ole Miss - Potential top 5 pick Ryan Rollison
Auburn - Potential top 5 pick Casey Mize
Mississippi State - Potential 1st round pick Konnor Pilkington

Half of the time on Friday night in SEC play, we are facing a potential 1st round pick.  Need to go with our best weapon in those games.  Knight has plenty of velo in the 92-95 range and has good off speed.  His command also helps him out.

Saturday - Isaiah Campbell - Like southark said, we have a 1a and 1b situation this year.  It was a shame that he got hurt last year as he was the pitcher I was most excited to see pitch in 2017.  He has sat 92-95 with his fastball this fall and shown good off speed as well.  While Knight is tall and lanky, Campbell is what you dream of in terms of a pitcher's build.  He is 6-4, 230 so he has the body build to be a workhorse for us.

Sunday - Kacey Murphy - I don't think McKinney will be ready for a starter's work load until more April or so, but Murphy will give us an excellent Sunday starter regardless.  DVH said he had an excellent fall and he looks poised for a huge junior season.  He was clutch for us in the postseason.  He doesn't have the premium velocity a lot of our guys can throw out, but you can imagine him working more 90-92 with that nasty breaking ball.

X-Factor - Keaton McKinney - He has two years of experience as a weekend starter and is one of three players on this team who went to Omaha back in 2015 along with Bonfield and Shaddy.  We know he is every bit as talented as Knight and Campbell and could be a 90-94 arm with one of the best change ups in college baseball.  We saw how effective he was working the mid to upper 80s.  Just imagine if he threw harder.

Midweek - Evan Lee - It does sound like DVH is looking at Lee more as a starter than a reliever.  He was working mainly 92-94 this fall so he has premium velocity and has a good breaking ball to pair with it.  I feel like he is better suited as a starter to keep his bat in the lineup.

Midweek - Caleb Bolden - It sounds like Bolden is the freshman most likely to be a starter this year.  He is more 90-92, but has a good slider and curveball while improving his change up.  He just sounds like he has more starter's stuff than someone who would excel at the back end of the pen.

As far as closer, I think I'm most in favor of Jackson Rutledge.  He sits mid 90s with his fastball and shows off a nasty breaking ball.  DVH also said he can be a little wild.  Sounds a lot like Zack Jackson who was excellent for us.  Top arms out of the pen to me will be Reindl who was hitting 94 at points this fall and Cronin who was also hitting 94.  Loseke has premium stuff with a fastball up to 96, but he has struggled with command in his career here.  Bonnin provides yet another guy who can hit 96 and DVH said he got better as the fall progressed while Ramage will fill more of the Kopps / Chadwick role where he doesn't throw mid 90s, but he pitches more off his slider.

We have a ton of pitching talent on campus this year for Johnson to work with and hopefully they stay healthy.  It was impressive for Johnson to do what he did last year after losing basically three of our top five arms entering the season in Campbell, McKinney, and Scroggins.

dotnet

The biggest risk is Campbell.  Everyone was excited about him last year and it really sounds like DVH was planning on him being the best pitcher on the team.  But the excitement comes 100% off of fall ball/pre-season performance because he hasn't shown that elite level in a legit game yet. 

I hope for his sake, he lives up to the billing and rebounds from the injury.  From the team's stand point, it almost seems like the elite expectations rest on at least one of Campbell/McKinney living up to their potential by the time tournament play comes around.

ucahogfan

Quote from: dotnet on November 18, 2017, 03:24:37 pm
The biggest risk is Campbell.  Everyone was excited about him last year and it really sounds like DVH was planning on him being the best pitcher on the team.  But the excitement comes 100% off of fall ball/pre-season performance because he hasn't shown that elite level in a legit game yet. 

I hope for his sake, he lives up to the billing and rebounds from the injury.  From the team's stand point, it almost seems like the elite expectations rest on at least one of Campbell/McKinney living up to their potential by the time tournament play comes around.
Also can't forget that Campbell did well down the stretch in 2016 and then dominated in California that summer.  Arguably did as well on the mound as Spanberger did at the plate out there.

dotnet

Quote from: ucahogfan on November 18, 2017, 04:00:59 pm
Also can't forget that Campbell did well down the stretch in 2016 and then dominated in California that summer.  Arguably did as well on the mound as Spanberger did at the plate out there.

I agree - At this point I feel most of this board is pretty homogeneous in our opinion of the team, with everyone open to multiple good options at a couple of positions. 

But people were talking last year as if Campbell was as good or better than Knight.  And I'm just pointing out that what Knight did last year was far and away better than anything Campbell (or Knight prior to last season) has ever done.

dotnet

Quote from: ucahogfan on November 18, 2017, 02:19:26 pm

Kentucky - Reigning SEC Pitcher of the Year Sean Hjelle
Florida - Potential top 5 pick Brady Singer
Ole Miss - Potential top 5 pick Ryan Rollison
Auburn - Potential top 5 pick Casey Mize
Mississippi State - Potential 1st round pick Konnor Pilkington

Half of the time on Friday night in SEC play, we are facing a potential 1st round pick. 

Also - this section already has me excited and nervous for this season.  Friday nights are going to be intense.  Hopefully the offense can be a the difference maker in the inevitable 2-1 games.

ucahogfan

Quote from: dotnet on November 19, 2017, 03:25:45 pm
Also - this section already has me excited and nervous for this season.  Friday nights are going to be intense.  Hopefully the offense can be a the difference maker in the inevitable 2-1 games.
I feel like our offense will be the type which can just pound pitchers into submission.  The depth we have 1-9 is just incredible and it isn't like we are dreaming on some new guys breaking out.  Sure, we expect some returning guys to improve and some new guys to get some action, but we return the bulk of an offense which was pretty dang good most of the season.

Most teams will value defense over offense at the up the middle positions (C, 2B, SS, CF) while we return easily the best up the middle core in the country.  Sure, teams like Oregon State have a better MIF, but no team in the country returns what we do at those positions and all of them figure to be huge factors in our offense this year.  About the only position offensively I'm worried about is 3B and we have several options there.

Knot2brite

I always worry about the bullpen in April...if the starting pitching is questionable going into April we will struggle...it has happened too many times before
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

hogwild04

Again the wknd starters seem to be a lock, at least 2 of them,  Lee had a great summer and fall and has come into his own,  He will get ABs and time on mound, the only mystery is will it be as a reliever or starter. It is tough being a two way guy, and probally hurt him last year trying to figure out how much time to spend on each, he seemed to figure it out and heard he is one of the hardest workers on team,  Bonnin will be like Lee by next year, had a great summer and fall hitting, until his knee, but struggled at times on mound, but everyone knew he was raw only pitched one full season so far.    Bonnin concentrated solely on pitching since tweaking his knee.  also heard he topped at 97 after WS outing and was hitting corners,   Rutledge is another one, he got hit pretty good in the fall but DVH is high on him and at 6'8 and 93mph what is there not to like, got better as fall went on just needs experience and he will play a huge factor,  Bolden is probably the best true pitcher in the freshman group as of right now, he is seasoned, does not have the over powering stuff Bonnin has but great spin on the ball and hits spots,  I just think these will play a huge part on rotation as season goes,  Any of these guys would be competing for a Friday or Saturday spot on any other school. We are loaded

SPAL

I'm in agreement with

Knight
Campbell
Murphy

After that, it could go any number of ways. Jake probably your #1 out of the pen.

onebadrubi

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on November 21, 2017, 09:32:20 am
I'm in agreement with

Knight
Campbell
Murphy

After that, it could go any number of ways. Jake probably your #1 out of the pen.

Think the sunday starter early on may be the "normal" week starter of normal years?  I think he may make Murphy a week starter for the tougher week games.  But that is just off season thinking on a message board.