Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Victories by SEC Teams Over the Last 5 Years

Started by WilsonHog, July 18, 2006, 07:32:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

There appear to be three distinct levels.

Georgia (52)
LSU (51)
Auburn (46)
Tennessee (44)
Florida (42)

Alabama (37)
Arkansas (34)
South Carolina (32) 
Ole Miss (31)

Kentucky (18)
Mississippi State (14)
Vanderbilt (13)

Albert Einswine

So as the number of wins decreases per team in that tier structure does the average quality of wins decrease proportionately?

I bet a study would show it does.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Swino

Quote from: Albert Einswine on July 18, 2006, 07:38:42 pm
So as the number of wins decreases per team in that tier structure does the average quality of wins decrease proportionately?

I bet a study would show it does.

We have not beat a SEC team with a winning record in 3 years. 

EastexHawg

At least we are seventh during that period.  Go back to turn of the century (the 2000 season until today) and we are NINTH.

hogsNbeer

It's only a matter of time before Spurrier and S Carolina surpass us....... and we'll be 8th in the SEC... it could be this year....

pseudorabies

Thank God for Ole Miss and Miss St.  They made up about 10 of those 34 wins.  Had it not been for them, we would be in the bottom level.

Swino

Quote from: pseudorabies on July 19, 2006, 09:01:01 am
Thank God for Ole Miss and Miss St.  They made up about 10 of those 34 wins.  Had it not been for them, we would be in the bottom level.

12 wins out of 34 were to Mississippi schools.

Conway Cool Daddy

Our victory total should start to increase after two horrible years.
Also take into effect the schedules of LSU and Auburn who are known for playing
incredibly weak out of conference games (in addition to getting to play Arkansas) . There SOS has cost them in the national polls the last couple of years.

wacohog

we're number 7, we're number 7, we're number7!!!!

I'm sure that will instill fear in the hearts of our opponents.

hogsNbeer

Quote from: Conway Cool Daddy on July 19, 2006, 09:07:39 am
incredibly weak out of conference games (in addition to getting to play Arkansas) . There SOS has cost them in the national polls the last couple of years.

It SHOULD increase..I agree.......... but it doesn't mean it's going to happen..... Remember, 03 season..... We return many players, 5 or 6 went to the pros after that season---- and NUTT could only MUSTER a very sad 4-4 in the SEC.........   Just because it SHOULD doesn't mean it WILL........ We have a LONG LONG way to go still....

Swino

Quote from: hogsNbeer on July 19, 2006, 09:39:30 am

It SHOULD increase..I agree.......... but it doesn't mean it's going to happen..... Remember, 03 season..... We return many players, 5 or 6 went to the pros after that season---- and NUTT could only MUSTER a very sad 4-4 in the SEC.........   Just because it SHOULD doesn't mean it WILL........ We have a LONG LONG way to go still....

We are going into a 9th year with a HC and I read that our victories SHOULD increase.  Sad.

GuvHog

It SHOULD increase..I agree.......... but it doesn't mean it's going to happen..... Remember, 03 season..... We return many players, 5 or 6 went to the pros after that season---- and NUTT could only MUSTER a very sad 4-4 in the SEC.........   Just because it SHOULD doesn't mean it WILL........ We have a LONG LONG way to go still....

That 2003 Hog team wasn't nearly as talent AND deep as this years team. I'll agree
there are a couple of thin spots depth wise, but as for the Starters overall they're
more talented than the 03 team on both sides of the ball. Add to the different and BETTER
OC, QB coach, and DC. the wait will be far shorter than you think.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

rzrbaxfan

QuoteQuote from: pseudorabies on Today at 09:01:01 AM

12 wins out of 34 were to Mississippi schools.

How do ya figure that?  Over the last 5 years, we have played Miss schools 10 times.  We have beaten Miss St all of those times, and lost to Ole Miss in 03...shouldn't that be 9?  Just curious...

hogsNbeer

Quote from: GUVHOG on July 19, 2006, 09:49:51 am

That 2003 Hog team wasn't nearly as talent AND deep as this years team. I'll agree
there are a couple of thin spots depth wise, but as for the Starters overall they're
more talented than the 03 team on both sides of the ball. Add to the different and BETTER

I just don't see it.......   I mean, that team had 5 or 6 go PRO....Some left early.....I dont' see 5 or 6 that could go pro after this year on this team....... That 03 team was argueably the best the HOGS have suited up for a LONG TIME........ No way is this team comparable to that team....IMO

pseudorabies

BS.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: hogsNbeer on July 19, 2006, 09:52:51 am

I just don't see it.......   I mean, that team had 5 or 6 go PRO....Some left early.....I dont' see 5 or 6 that could go pro after this year on this team....... That 03 team was argueably the best the HOGS have suited up for a LONG TIME........ No way is this team comparable to that team....IMO

Let's let the GUV have this point.  It's represents rope.  According to the GUV the '03 team wasn't nearly as talented as we thought and this team is much more talented and deep.

Using this logic,  this years team needs to finish appreciably better than 9-4 with a win in a mid tier bowl or it will be an underperformance. 

This much deeper and more talented group should win at least 11 and win a top tier bowl according to his logic.  If it doesn't pan out,  he's got the rope.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Conway Cool Daddy

I'm sorry. replace "should" with "Will', as in we will win more games this year.
Take it to the bank.
As far as the 03 team is concerned, they definitely underachieved. I was very disappointed in that team. We were better than every team we played except for LSU, and we weren't far behind them. We had the best running game in the nation. It's hard to compare them to this years team.

GuvHog

July 19, 2006, 10:08:24 am #17 Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 10:20:54 am by GUVHOG

I just don't see it.......   I mean, that team had 5 or 6 go PRO....Some left early.....I dont' see 5 or 6 that could go pro after this year on this team....... That 03 team was argueably the best the HOGS have suited up for a LONG TIME........ No way is this team comparable to that team....IMO

i can name several on this years team that if all were eligible to do so would have some success in the pros:

Tony Ugo
Stephen Parker
Robert Felton
Marcus Monk
DMac
Felix Jones
Keith Jackson, Jr.
BUTU
Anderson
Marcus Harrison
Peyton Hillis

This years team is more talent and deeper, I rest my case.

Conway Cool Daddy

Guv, half of those guys will not make an NFL roster.

GuvHog

JJHog

July 19, 2006, 10:37:22 am #20 Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 10:45:08 am by JJHog
Quote from: WilsonHog on July 18, 2006, 07:32:24 pm
There appear to be three distinct levels.

Georgia (52)
LSU (51)
Auburn (46)
Tennessee (44)
Florida (42)

Alabama (37)
Arkansas (34)
South Carolina (32) 
Ole Miss (31)

Kentucky (18)
Mississippi State (14)
Vanderbilt (13)

Its a game of inches--1-2 more win a year and we are knocking on the door of the big boys--that's the difference a good staff and a good kicker can make.
" Think Right, Do Right"

GuvHog

Quote from: GUVHOG on July 19, 2006, 10:16:40 am
Quote from: Conway Cool Daddy on July 19, 2006, 10:12:20 am

On that I totally disagree!
Oh by the way, I've also added Peyton Hillis.

rzrbaxfan

QuoteIts a game of inches--1-2 more win a year and we are knocking on the door of the big boys--that's the difference a good staff and a good kicker can make.

I guess it depends on your perspective.  Nutt is 8-20 against the top 5 teams on that list..none against Fla, or Ga, and in the last 5 years, only 3 wins agains LSU & Aub.

Conway Cool Daddy

Quote from: GUVHOG on July 19, 2006, 10:49:10 am

I was wondering where he was. I think he'll be a middle to late round pick.
He should have a nice career.

GuvHog

Quote from: Conway Cool Daddy on July 19, 2006, 10:55:24 am
Quote from: GUVHOG on July 19, 2006, 10:49:10 am

I was wondering where he was. I think he'll be a middle to late round pick.
He should have a nice career.

Hey, I didn't say they'd all go first round, I said they'd all have some success. At least 4 on the list are not eligible to turn pro, but when their time comes, they'll have some success.

big boes

bama managed more sec wins than ark while shuffling through 3 coaches and enduring probation.

hogsanity

Most of the teams with more wins than we have had in the time period mentioned have had one thing we have not - A good QB.  And dont start with the " well we had MJ" stuff.  MJ was not a QB.  He was a WR that we had to use as a Qb.  And yes, that falls on the failure to recruit a decent Qb, and that is the fault of the staff. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GuvHog

Quote from: big boes on July 19, 2006, 11:03:53 am
bama managed more sec wins than ark while shuffling through 3 coaches and enduring probation.

Alabama is about to really feal the effects of their Investigation & probation from this year on.
They'll struggle to go 4-4 in conference the next 2 or 3 years.

Pig Power

When Dale can consistently beat ranked and unranked conference teams at home and maybe a win a road game against any team outside the state of Mississippi, he will have my respect.
Guv might be right about sheer talent on campus now vs. the 03 team that underachieved. Where was the HC when things turned South in 2003? I hope we don't have a repeat this Fall.

Albert Einswine

Hey GUV,  how many wins do you think we should EXPECT to see and how many wins do you BELIEVE we'll see out of this group that is "more talented than the 03 team on both sides of the ball."

GuvHog

July 19, 2006, 11:24:46 am #30 Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 11:27:12 am by GUVHOG
Quote from: Pig Power on July 19, 2006, 11:17:29 am
When Dale can consistently beat ranked and unranked conference teams at home and maybe a win a road game against any team outside the state of Mississippi, he will have my respect.
Guv might be right about sheer talent on campus now vs. the 03 team that underachieved. Where was the HC when things turned South in 2003? I hope we don't have a repeat this Fall.

How in the world did you expect H. Nutt to stop the officials from doing hose jobs on the Hogs
in the 03 Auburn & Florida games? In both Games the Hogs played well enough in th SECOND
HALF to win and the Officials took those wins away.

GuvHog

Quote from: Albert Einswine on July 19, 2006, 11:18:59 am

Hey GUV,  how many wins do you think we should EXPECT to see and how many wins do you BELIEVE we'll see out of this group that is "more talented than the 03 team on both sides of the ball."

I expect to see no less than 9 wins this year, but I Believe they'll win 10.

Conway Cool Daddy

Quote from: GUVHOG on July 19, 2006, 11:24:46 am

How in the world did you expect H. Nutt to stop the officials from doing hose jobs on the Hogs
in the 03 Auburn & Florida games? In both Games the Hogs played well enough in th SECOND
HALF to win and the Officials took those win away.

What happened in the first half of both those games?
We came out flat, AT HOME, and it ended up costing us. You have to play
the full ballgame, don't blame this on the refs.

pseudorabies

HALF to win and the Officials took those wins away.

typical. ::)

TOM "tbw1"

Guv,

Why do you consider Alabama to be on a downhill slide?  Their probation period is over.  They are back to full scholarship levels.

In 2006 their recruiting class was 18th in the nation and sixth in the SEC.  (ahead of Arkansas)
In 2005 their recruiting class was 16th in the nation and fourth in the SEC.  (ahead of Arkansas)
In 2004 their recruiting class was 19th in the nation and fifth in the SEC.  (ahead of Arkansas)

They have the best defensive coordinator in the SEC in Joe Kines.

Why do you see a dropoff?
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

Beaverfever

Quote from: GUVHOG on July 19, 2006, 10:08:24 am

It SHOULD increase..I agree.......... but it doesn't mean it's going to happen..... Remember, 03 season..... We return many players, 5 or 6 went to the pros after that season---- and NUTT could only MUSTER a very sad 4-4 in the SEC.........   Just because it SHOULD doesn't mean it WILL........ We have a LONG LONG way to go still....

i can name several on this years team that if all were eligible to do so would have some success in the pros:

Tony Ugo
Stephen Parker
Robert Felton
Marcus Monk
DMac
Felix Jones
Keith Jackson, Jr.
BUTU
Anderson
Marcus Harrison
Peyton Hillis

This years team is more talent and deeper, I rest my case.
Guv I think you could make a case that M. Grant could make an nfl roster someday too.

GuvHog

Quote from: Conway Cool Daddy on July 19, 2006, 11:28:12 am

Arkansas scored 2 TDs in the Second Half that would've put the Hogs ahead 17-10
and won the game, but the Officials took both those TDs away on bad calls which
cost the hogs the game. In the FLorida game the Hogs had Momentum, intercepted a pass,
and would have scored to at least send the game to overtime but again a horrible call
against Tony Bua took that game away. I'll agree the Hogs didn't play well in the first half of either game, but played well enough in the SECOND Half of Both games to Win.

TOM "tbw1"

It is truly sad that the Arkansas football program has fallen to the depths that we cannot accept the fact that we cannot win on the field.  Officiating errors are part of the game.  Teams that take care of their knitting overcome that.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

GuvHog

Quote from: tbw1 on July 19, 2006, 11:39:44 am
Guv,

Why do you consider Alabama to be on a downhill slide?  Their probation period is over.  They are back to full scholarship levels.

In 2006 their recruiting class was 18th in the nation and sixth in the SEC.  (ahead of Arkansas)
In 2005 their recruiting class was 16th in the nation and fourth in the SEC.  (ahead of Arkansas)
In 2004 their recruiting class was 19th in the nation and fifth in the SEC.  (ahead of Arkansas)

They have the best defensive coordinator in the SEC in Joe Kines.

Why do you see a dropoff?

Alabama is not on a downhill slide yet, but this year will start one.
The 3 Bama classes you mentioned are all overated, and the next 2 years will prove that.
Joe Kines is NOT the #1 DC in the SEC, Reggie Herring is and you're about to find that out too.

GuvHog

Quote from: tbw1 on July 19, 2006, 11:52:45 am
It is truly sad that the Arkansas football program has fallen to the depths that we cannot accept the fact that we cannot win on the field.  Officiating errors are part of the game.  Teams that take care of their knitting overcome that.

I could describe several Collage games that would prove your statement about officiating to be False, but to do so would take 2 or 3 paqes and I don't have the time.

LA HAWG

Quote from: GUVHOG on July 19, 2006, 11:48:07 am

cost the hogs the game. In the FLorida game the Hogs had Momentum, intercepted a pass,
and would have scored to at least send the game to overtime but again a horrible call
against Tony Bua took that game away. I'll agree the Hogs didn't play well in the first half of either game, but played well enough in the SECOND Half of Both games to Win.

The Cobb's run you are talking about was not a touchdown.  The call on Bua was correct.  Either way dale did not have his teams ready and played not to lose.  Unacceptable.

GuvHog

Quote from: LA HAWG on July 19, 2006, 11:57:16 am

The Cobb's run you are talking about was not a touchdown.  The call on Bua was correct.  Either way dale did not have his teams ready and played not to lose.  Unacceptable.

I'll give you the Cobbs run, but Matt;s TD still would've tied the score, Thus-overtime.
the call on Bua was incorrect, the replay clearly showed that Bua Made contact first with the QBs chest and slid up to his head, and it wasn't late, Bua had allready left his feet to make contact when the ball left the QBs hand.

GorillaJMonsoon

Guv,

Was it the refs or "playing not-to-lose" in the first half of both games (and many others).

TOM "tbw1"

Guv,

Please do not force yourself to a 2 or 3 page reply regarding officiating caused defeats.  The Top Ten teams last year had 14 losses between them.  Which of those fourteen were caused by the officials?

The second fifteen had 49 losses between them.  Which of those losses were the fault of the officials?

GuvHog

Quote from: GorillaJMonsoon on July 19, 2006, 12:04:54 pm
Guv,

Was it the refs or "playing not-to-lose" in the first half of both games (and many others).

The first halfs were made irrelivant because the Hogs played well enough in the second halfs to win.

GuvHog

Quote from: tbw1 on July 19, 2006, 12:06:28 pm
Guv,

Please do not force yourself to a 2 or 3 page reply regarding officiating caused defeats.  The Top Ten teams last year had 14 losses between them.  Which of those fourteen were caused by the officials?

The second fifteen had 49 losses between them.  Which of those losses were the fault of the officials?

Who's talking about last year? I can go back at least 20 years, but like I said I don't have time.

How about that! I just made Hogvillian!

TwistedHog

Did I catch a Keith Jackson Jr in the NFL sighting in the board.  Don't get me wrong he plays hard and smart but no *** way is he making it to the next level.

hogsNbeer

The big group of Hog Fans I happened to be watching those 2 games with had the same thoughts on those "Bad" calls as you say.....   The consensus of the WHOLE group was that both calls were the right calls....... I've seen replays after replays and there's nothing you or anybody can say that will make me think those were "bad" calls......I think the refs got those right.........

hogsanity

I think the Bua call was correct.  If he had not gone head first, it would have not looked like it did anyway.  The 2 "holding calls" in the Aub game were bad, imo, in that the player was not going to make a play anyway.  The 2nd hold, the one on the MJ run, was simply horrible. 

That being said, bad calls happen in every game to BOTh teams, rarely can you point to a single call making a w/l difference.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on July 19, 2006, 12:27:38 pm
I think the Bua call was correct.  If he had not gone head first, it would have not looked like it did anyway.  The 2 "holding calls" in the Aub game were bad, imo, in that the player was not going to make a play anyway.  The 2nd hold, the one on the MJ run, was simply horrible. 

That being said, bad calls happen in every game to BOTh teams, rarely can you point to a single call making a w/l difference.

I refer you to my previous 2 posts.