Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Trouble at Auburn (New York Times article)

Started by alabama Hawg, July 13, 2006, 07:21:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

alabama Hawg

94 Hawg

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
~ Will Rogers

WilsonHog

Cool. That ought to produce some interesting discussion nation-wide about the mission of a university vs. the reality of competing at a high level in a BCS conference. 

Hogward R. Murrow

Typical course load for a professor is 5 classes. Less in a 4 year college that focuses on research. That would mean this professor is teaching 12-18 classes a semester. That is impossible.

Auburn is in trouble.

Swynler Durden

Outed by one of their own professors no less. That's gotta sting a bit.

TennesseeRaz

Quote from: Hogward R. Murrow on July 13, 2006, 07:41:19 pm
Typical course load for a professor is 5 classes.

At a research university (like the SEC) 5 classes per year, maybe.  Generally they teach 2 classes per semester, some less.

Nutts and Bolts

Where there is smoke, there is fire.  I have a feeling that this will be BIG news throughout the season.. This can ONLY have a negative effect on their season...  GO HOGS....SEC WEST CHAMPIONS
A new era has begun in Fayetteville

Bob Loblaw

I'm so happy about the boogers trouble that I'm about to pee myself. Not only will the NCAA drop the proverbial hammer on them, their accreditation is going to go also.

What a great day in Alabama!  :)

Porkahontas

Quote from: ImHogginIt on July 13, 2006, 08:02:11 pm
So what's it say for those of us who refuse to fill out all that registration crap just to read one story. ?  :(

Eh? I didn't have to do that and I don't have any kind of log-in or account with the NY Times.

That said, Auburn SHOULD be in some deep crap for this, but if Tee Martin can get $4500 cash funneled to him w/o penalties (not to mention the academic questions they had in their own university a couple years earlier also) and if Adrian Peterson can get a wide selection of vehicles 'loaned' to him from Big Red Motors in Norman, OK, w/o the NCAA being all over it, it makes you wonder how much will come from something like this. Sometimes it seems the NCAA only catches and penalizes those who they want to catch.

Bob Loblaw

Quote from: Porkahontas on July 13, 2006, 08:52:32 pm
Sometimes it seems the NCAA only catches and penalizes those who they want to catch.

Truer words have never been typed.

Cajun Hog

So what's it say for those of us who refuse to fill out all that registration crap just to read one story. ?  :(

The War Eagles / Tigers are in DEEP S**t.

Ross U (HDHF)

Damn this is huge.  Notice the publication date on this story is tomorrow. :)  Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

Hogward R. Murrow

Quote from: TennesseeRaz on July 13, 2006, 07:50:32 pm

At a research university (like the SEC) 5 classes per year, maybe.  Generally they teach 2 classes per semester, some less.
Quote from: TennesseeRaz on July 13, 2006, 07:50:32 pm

Dude, read ALL the post before you post. ;)

Hogward R. Murrow

Quote from: Bob Loblaw on July 13, 2006, 08:53:27 pm
Quote from: Porkahontas on July 13, 2006, 08:52:32 pm
Sometimes it seems the NCAA only catches and penalizes those who they want to catch.

Truer words have never been typed.

Yep, if this had been USC or Notre Dame or Ohio State, you wouldn't have read about it in the times. Guardamteeyou!

silvertip

On the ABC News here in B'ham---led off with the story. The top prof in the Sociology Dept was giving grades to athletes, I think FB players, such grades 1 grade better than the players' overall GPA. Also, the players only required to read one book in a class that usually requires 5 books to be read. Both the head of the Dept and the Auburn U Pres quoted as saying it is a serious matter.

Check back around 10:40. The sportscaster says he's going to tell us which players involved in a few minutes.

HatfieldHog

You guys should remember that this is the paper that gives away strategic national security secrets when it finds them!

On a lighter note:  We should probably hope that the NCAA looks the other way on this type of thing.  Because if you think that this dosen't happen at the good ole U of A, you are one gullible dude.  I could tell you a story, but I'm sure that the mods would not like it!

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

Lanny

"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

HatfieldHog

Quote from: silvertip on July 13, 2006, 10:13:58 pm

On the ABC News here in B'ham---led off with the story. The top prof in the Sociology Dept was giving grades to athletes, I think FB players, such grades 1 grade better than the players' overall GPA. Also, the players only required to read one book in a class that usually requires 5 books to be read. Both the head of the Dept and the Auburn U Pres quoted as saying it is a serious matter.

Check back around 10:40. The sportscaster says he's going to tell us which players involved in a few minutes.

Uh, Oh,  "there coming to take us away, ha, ha...."

Seeeeee ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

WilsonHog

Okay, here's the question: if you're an Auburn fan tonight, was the success the Tigers have experienced the last couple of years worth it to you?

Hogward R. Murrow

Quote from: WilsonHog on July 13, 2006, 10:22:16 pm
Okay, here's the question: if you're an Auburn fan tonight, was the success the Tigers have experienced the last couple of years worth it to you?

If it landed me a NC that couldn't be taken away? Yes.

hogfan@heart

wow. that is never good. I just hope that nothing like this is happening on the hill!!

stronguard

Quote from: loanHog on July 13, 2006, 07:47:40 pm
Outed by one of their own professors no less. That's gotta sting a bit.

What do you want to bet that James Gundlach is a Bama grad.
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

Hogward R. Murrow

I just went over to the allbarn boards and bama fans are giving them HELL!

We shouldn't glory in this guys,(even though I can't help it) we are very much like auburn. A cinderella team the NCAA just wants to pounce on. This will be the NCAA's chance to make an example on a team that doesn't bring them a lot of notoriety. NCAA would and has done the same to us.

HatfieldHog

Quote from: hogfan@heart on July 13, 2006, 10:25:30 pm
wow. that is never good. I just hope that nothing like this is happening on the hill!!

You can't be serious!  Something like that could never happen in the land of hog-luving, God fearing, President producing, Arkansas,  opps? Did I say President producing?   My bad.   Strike this comment!

See ya

silvertip

For those who can't read it, former players Cadillac Williams & star TE Robert Johnson are named. Johnson says that if you have 4 or 5 FB players in a class, guaranteed you'll have an easy time, "especially if you're winning." A current player, Langefeld (?) supposedly got a B in the class for little or no work.

Turns out the local sports guy was just reporting what was in the NY Times article. It was the Head of the Sociology Department who turned Auburn in (to the Times?) Can't wait to get home so I can "sign in" and read the article myself.

stronguard

Depends on what the NCAA does to them doesn't it Wilson? 

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

nwarazfan

NY Times has no credibility.  Might as well be in Star or on the E Channel's gossip shows or Hogville's Rumor Mill.

WilsonHog

Quote from: stronguard on July 13, 2006, 10:32:28 pm

Depends on what the NCAA does to them doesn't it Wilson? 

Oh, I think the NCAA is going to drop the hammer on them. Auburn is one of those "up and coming" programs that the NCAA loves to slap around.

silvertip

Quote from: HatfieldHog on July 13, 2006, 10:16:03 pm
You guys should remember that this is the paper that gives away strategic national security secrets when it finds them!

That's funny. I thought Robert Novak worked for the Chicago Sun-Times??

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

stronguard

We shall see.  IMO the NCAA takes it easy on the old schools such as AU and Bama.   I bet they will lose a few schollies and be banned from Bowl contention for a couple of years.  And I bet the investigation is tidy and quick.  I hate the NCAA

THROWITDEEP

It appears that Professor Gundlach was on a witch hunt for Professor Petee and his job as the Sociology department head.   I think this will all be blown out of proportion by the media.  It sounds like the guy is not teaching as many of the courses as he did.  This just goes to show how office politics can turn nasty and mean very quick.

This goes on all around the country in big time college football.  Auburn just got caught.

Call Mr. Sow

Those of you complaining about the registration for the NY Times (or really anyplace requiring a free registration) would be wise to investigate www.bugmenot.com

Works like a charm.

Reaganite

I use www.bugmenot.com  anytime an online paper tries to get me to "register".  They give you a preexisting username/password and you're in.

As to the meat of the story... wow.  I guess it would be too much to expect the NCAA to move quickly on this?  HAHAHAHAHAHA

HamShank

Quote from: nwarazfan on July 13, 2006, 10:34:08 pm
NY Times has no credibility.  Might as well be in Star or on the E Channel's gossip shows or Hogville's Rumor Mill.

Are you high?  Regardless what you think of their op-ed page, journalistically they've won more Pulitzers than any newspaper in history.  The Associated Press takes their lead FROM the NY Times.  Their news journalists and their op-ed page are two very different things.

riccoar

Wonder if Tuberville can pull a Fulmer and throw the NCAA off the trail?

hogsmaster

Quote from: THROWITDEEP on July 13, 2006, 10:53:41 pm
It appears that Professor Gundlach was on a witch hunt for Professor Petee and his job as the Sociology department head.   I think this will all be blown out of proportion by the media.  It sounds like the guy is not teaching as many of the courses as he did.  This just goes to show how office politics can turn nasty and mean very quick.

This goes on all around the country in big time college football.  Auburn just got caught.

That is pretty sad that you painted Gundlach as this evil jealous guy.  I doubt if you know about the situation anymore than what was in that article, but I don't think most of us saw the same thing you did from reading that article.  To me, Gundlach was pissed that some students (including student-athletes) were getting easy grades for little to no work.  Gundlach hated that a fellow faculty member was jeopardizing the integrity of their profession and college institution by just handing out easy A's without making the students earn them.  Although I am not a college professor, I am proud of my own profession and would be ashamed if its integrity is compromised.

HamShank

Quote from: hogsmaster on July 14, 2006, 12:02:39 am

That is pretty sad that you painted Gundlach as this evil jealous guy.  I doubt if you know about the situation anymore than what was in that article, but I don't think most of us saw the same thing you did from reading that article.  To me, Gundlach was pissed that some students (including student-athletes) were getting easy grades for little to no work.  Gundlach hated that a fellow faculty member was jeopardizing the integrity of their profession and college institution by just handing out easy A's without making the students earn them.  Although I am not a college professor, I am proud of my own profession and would be ashamed if its integrity is compromised.

+1

Swynler Durden

July 14, 2006, 12:31:54 am #39 Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 12:39:57 am by loanHog

I thought about that too after a while. This guy may very well have thought about whether or not to do anything and come to the conclusion that his credibility could be ruined if this came to light and it was known that he knew about it and still said nothing. It's possible he was just pissed or that could have been a very difficult decision for him. I'm sure he had to know he was making ALOT of enemies overnight.

werehog

To use a cliche, this is just the tip of the ice berg.

hogfancb

DKW 86

Guys, do the math. The footballers only made up 7% of the students in the DR/IS classes. The press in Alabama is already blowing it off. Everyone at the NYT around this story has a Bama pedigree. This is simply a smear. Plain and simple.

Sounds bad, very bad, but like I said do the math. 97 total hours for 18 football players amounts to 5.4 hours per player? Who cares? Why would the NYT dedicate 4 pages to a single class that only 18 kids took?

In a word: "smear." We are beating Bama like a redheaded step child. They cant beat us on the field. They know it. So, as per bama norm, they drag out the smear stuff.

SSDD in Alabama....

hogfancb

Quote from: DKW 86 on July 14, 2006, 05:01:35 am
Guys, do the math. The footballers only made up 7% of the students in the DR/IS classes. The press in Alabama is already blowing it off. Everyone at the NYT around this story has a Bama pedigree. This is simply a smear. Plain and simple.

Sounds bad, very bad, but like I said do the math. 97 total hours for 18 football players amounts to 5.4 hours per player? Who cares? Why would the NYT dedicate 4 pages to a single class that only 18 kids took?

In a word: "smear." We are beating Bama like a redheaded step child. They cant beat us on the field. They know it. So, as per bama norm, they drag out the smear stuff.

SSDD in Alabama....

Auburn did it so fry em' all!

hogfan064

So what is going to happen to Southern Cal?  I hate to see the SEC get in so much trouble when schools like Southern Cal get away with anything.

TennesseeRaz

Dude, read ALL the post before you post. ;)
[/quote]

I did; I'm a prof and we usually describe course load by semester around here.  Maybe it's different where you are.

TennesseeRaz

Excellent!  +1 . . . That's some pretty serious grade inflation.  Isn't there someone in the AU athletic dept who gets paid $60,000 year to watch for that kind of stuff?  Sounds like the classic "lack of institutional control."

Bob Loblaw

July 14, 2006, 08:01:34 am #47 Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 08:07:03 am by Bob Loblaw
Quote from: HamShank on July 13, 2006, 11:50:30 pm
Are you high?  Regardless what you think of their op-ed page, journalistically they've won more Pulitzers than any newspaper in history.  The Associated Press takes their lead FROM the NY Times.  Their news journalists and their op-ed page are two very different things.

I've got 3 words for ya: Jayson Blair.

:P

Bob Loblaw

Quote from: DKW 86 on July 14, 2006, 05:01:35 am

SSDD in Alabama....

HAHAHA! Bama is responsible? HAHAHA! Typical barner garbage. Worse lies than a LIbEral.

WilsonHog

July 14, 2006, 08:11:27 am #49 Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 08:13:59 am by WilsonHog
I believe this hit the New York Times for two reasons: it's a story about college football in the deep south and academic abuses.  Both are favorite targets of eastern media who have never understood the passion with which so many southerners regard college football.

I have to admit that I'm somewhat torn by what is going on at Auburn. I believe that "higher education" is just that and that there are some kids, athletes and non-athletes, who have no business in a four-year university until they have proven themselves at a community college or juco. At the same time, I love college football. College athletics in general. I doubt that there are many SEC players who can boast of scoring a 28 on the ACT.

Make 'em declare a legitimate major, and make 'em go to class.   

(BTW, anyone remember the article in the Saturday Evening Post that claimed Bear Bryant and Georgia's Wally Butts had conspired to fix a football game? Much ado about nothing, and Butts won a defamation lawsuit.)