Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BP Punches Teammate

Started by HawgsPolo, October 17, 2017, 05:51:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

skinnypig

the truth will come out.  Chicago new channel say the Bulls GM witnessed fight.

skinnypig

userpick

Not good for Bobby. Mediocre players rarely survive things like this.

Next1_04

Me believing it was a "sucker punch".

Grizzlyfan

I keep hearing cheap shot and sucker punch thrown on Twitter, et.al. but no specifics on what that means.  I'm sure for some of these east coast sports writer any time a shoving contest turns into a punch that qualifies as a cheap shot.  I would like think that Mitotic kept coming at him and Bobby finally had enough.  I really hope it wasn't a punch from behind or anything like that.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Next1_04

sooiebaby

BP showing some promise in those hands! Lesson to be learned here....dont mess with the seemingly chill, lanky dudes. They will wreck your shop.
The problem with todays society is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Seriously if the guy charged at BP multiple times and BP threw one punch and knocked the guy out why should he be suspended?

If he had say instead, swept the leg, and the guy was neutralized without any serious injury would they suspend him?

So it's BPs fault he throws a nice haymaker and European guy has a glass jaw.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

PorkRinds

Start a fight and you may get your face broken. Razorbacks will hurt you.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on October 18, 2017, 10:59:41 am
Seriously if the guy charged at BP multiple times and BP threw one punch and knocked the guy out why should he be suspended?

If he had say instead, swept the leg, and the guy was neutralized without any serious injury would they suspend him?

So it's BPs fault he throws a nice haymaker and European guy has a glass jaw.

Exactly.

BWS

Portis will be suspended 8 games. Mirotic is expected to be out 4-6 weeks.

PorkRinds

Quote from: BWS on October 18, 2017, 12:24:40 pm

Stupid. When a man charges you, you defend yourself.

onebadrubi

Thats stupid if he wasn't the aggressor.

XavierZane

I'm seeing a lot of positive reactions to this.  Or at least bemusement at this adding to his general reputation of being slightly crazy.  Crazy Eyes is now the One Punch Man.

Hawg Red

I think they should suspended Mirotic, too. At least a few games. He had a pretty role in this and he charged at Bobby.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

Hogs49ers

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on October 18, 2017, 12:58:28 pm
I like what I read from this one.

Yes, me too.

"While Portis will still likely face some discipline, he will probably keep his roster spot. Vecsey also reported that Portis was well-liked, working hard and had asserted himself as a leader in the off-season. Now the Bulls have to figure out what to do with Mirotic. He's out for the foreseeable future, but he might have some trade value."
SCREW Vandy!

hoglady

I thought Joe Kline was going to come unglued on The Buzz - after some listener sent in a message that Portis should be charged with assault and battery. Kline said it happens ALL the time in the Pros especially this time of year after guys have been going at each other hard in practice for weeks.
Kline's attitude was - you hate to see someone get hurt, but this type altercation wasn't unusual.
Also too bad that Portis will likely face punishment for being the better fighter.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hoglady

That's what FS1 is reporting 8 game suspension.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 18, 2017, 12:38:06 pm
Thats stupid if he wasn't the aggressor.
I'm glad Portis wasn't the aggressor.  But he shouldn't have thrown the punch either.  These teams have too much money invested to have the players hospitalizing one another.

hoglady

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on October 18, 2017, 01:40:24 pm
I'm glad Portis wasn't the aggressor.  But he shouldn't have thrown the punch either.  These teams have too much money invested to have the players hospitalizing one another.

If Portis had allowed himself to be shoved and pushed around with no response  / he would have lost the respect of his teammates. Probably been viewed as weak. A sports team isn't a place where turning the other cheek works very well.

PonderinHog

Quote from: hoglady on October 18, 2017, 01:46:59 pm
If Portis had allowed himself to be shoved and pushed around with no response  / he would have lost the respect of his teammates. Probably been viewed as weak. A sports team isn't a place where turning the other cheek works very well.
I bet it doesn't happen again...

hoglady

Hawgndaaz

fights happen in every locker room in every sport, starting at puberty and ending in old man softball leagues.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hoglady on October 18, 2017, 01:31:02 pm
I thought Joe Kline was going to come unglued on The Buzz - after some listener sent in a message that Portis should be charged with assault and battery. Kline said it happens ALL the time in the Pros especially this time of year after guys have been going at each other hard in practice for weeks.
Kline's attitude was - you hate to see someone get hurt, but this type altercation wasn't unusual.
Also too bad that Portis will likely face punishment for being the better fighter.

Who's this Kline fellow you speak off? IF you're going to be on a Razorback board at least get the name spelled right.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hoggish1

Quote from: Slater on October 17, 2017, 11:15:27 pm
It has been stated they were talking smack, Bobby P was not the aggressor. He was defending himself, thugging it up is not his style.

Bingo.  Portis good Miratic dumb

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: hoglady on October 18, 2017, 01:46:59 pm
Well, read some comments from his Bull's teammates.  They will confirm that no matter how heated the pushing and shoving had become he shouldn't have thrown the punch.  No offense, but you have a completely backward view of how sports teammates should behave and how teams should operate.

azhog10

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on October 18, 2017, 03:56:14 pm
Well, read some comments from his Bull's teammates.  They will confirm that no matter how heated the pushing and shoving had become he shouldn't have thrown the punch.  No offense, but you have a completely backward view of how sports teammates should behave and how teams should operate.
Idk, I've seen plenty of fights between teammates in the heat of the battle. Punches were thrown but no one was knocked out. Normally both players were sent home for the day. That stuff is gonna happen, but either Mirotic has a soft jaw, Portis got him really good, or Mirotic got caught with his hands down and it may have come off like a bit of a sucker punch.

hoglady

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 18, 2017, 01:58:20 pm
Who's this Kline fellow you speak off? IF you're going to be on a Razorback board at least get the name spelled right.

Yep - screwed that up for sure.

ShadowHawg

Difference between should happen and what really happens.

hoglady

Yes - I'm sure everyone is upset that Mirotic got hurt (after the fact).
I'm certain that wasn't Portis' intention but sometimes unintentional things happen when fights break out.

RebHog

Yup 8 game suspension PTI crew is slamming the bulls for suspending him they didn't believe he should receive any based on mirco charging at him. 

RebHog

Link plz

ShadowHawg

It's bs to claim this stuff doesn't ever happen when it does all the time. His team mates said both guys were at fault.

Portis not being suspended for fighting. He is being suspended for the damage one punch caused.

PonderinHog

root_hawg

The problem is it gives the rookie drafted at the same position 8 games to show what he can do while BP sits ... might make him dispensible

RebHog

http://hoopshype.com/team/chicago-bulls/

Peter Vecsey: Contrary to counterfeit reports by ESPN and Yahoo, Bobby Portis did not "cheap shot" Nikola Mirotic at Bulls' practice this afternoon, a source attests. Nonetheless, there is no denying it was a damaging one-punch knockdown. The Montenegro forward was taken to the hospital with a concussion and facial fractures that will require surgery, and is out indefinitely. Mirotic initiated the skirmish. "He was the aggressor, not Portis," I am informed. "Mirotic shoved Portis twice, maybe three times. When Portis retaliated with a hard shove, Mirotic charged him. Portis put him down." 12 hours ago – via Patreon

Josh Lewenberg‏: Dwane Casey on player fights when he was an assistant in Seattle... So, Gary Payton and...? "We had some doozies in Seattle, I'll tell you what, some fisticuffs. One that started on the court and went in the weight room and went outside, come back in. It was a long one. I've seen those. The good thing about that, the people that were involved in that were able to come back together and bond back together, which is the hard part. You can't let what happened yesterday come into tomorrow or next week or next month or hold it inside. That's the trick and luckily in Seattle we had some of those but guys were able to get back together and maintain the team chemistry." 4 hours ago – via Twitter

I agree this wouldn't even make the news if the injury wasn't that bad.

Dwight_K_Shrute

While it may not be a best practice to file a grievance against your team, I think BP should take advantage of any recourse he might have through the CBA.  They are basically docking him 10% pay because he knows how to fight and put Mirotic in his place. 

Mirotic is the jack ass that kept going at Portis.  BP finally said enough was enough and ended it.  Seems there was enough time for coaches and/or teammates to step in and pull them back, but they let them keep going at it and BP dropped the bum.

It's not right to put BP behind the 8 ball for this in a contract year.

If there is a plus side BP probably gained a lot of respect from his teammates and Mirotic comes off looking like a PAB that got dropped. 

damgoodestuffyhog

Relieved to hear that the story is not as bad as it initially sounded, still very negative overall, but looks like his career is moving forwards.

HardingHog

Yeah, it's unfortunate Mirotic got really hurt in the altercation, but maybe don't come after someone who can knock you out of playing for 1-2 months with a single punch

I remember hearing Steve Kerr talking about getting punched in the face by Michael Jordan in practice. Luckily for Steve, he doesn't hit as hard as Bobby though