Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I'm sitting here listening to the Bo Mattingly show...

Started by JD Hogg, September 13, 2017, 04:43:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

swineology

Quote from: JD Hogg on September 13, 2017, 04:43:52 pm
I know, that's my first mistake.  But I'm listening to him talk about how reasonable fans realize that we can't expect to win the national or SEC championship every year.  I'm so sick of hearing this.  Why can't we expect it?  What makes Alabama or Oklahoma the only programs that can expect to compete for championships?

I hate this type of thinking.  Granted, Long and Bielema have beat us down and it's hard to think we might win.  But, Alabama and Oklahoma are in the positions they're in because of things that they've done and coaches they've hired.  Why can't we do those same things.  Why can't we hire those type coaches??  Granted we are a small state, but we are united behind the Hogs.  We will spend money.  I don't think our facilities are second rate.  When we need something, we get or build it.  Plus, it's been proven that with the right type of coach, we can win and win big.  I'm so sick of the "l'il ole Arkysaw" "woe is me" crap that is spewed by the news media and broadcast media to enable and excuse the poor performances by coaches over the years.

BTW, what is win at all costs?  What does that mean exactly?  It's thrown out there I think to shut people down that want to have winning program, and by that I mean win lots of games, not just 7-5!!!  I want to win at all costs within the confines of fairness and rules of the game and recruiting, etc...  I also want the players to get educated and graduate.  But I also want them to win games.  I'm certain they want to win as well.  But I don't think we've ever had a coach that had a "win at all costs" mentality with the implication being that he would cheat etc.. to win.  Frank Broyles wasn't like that.  Lou Holtz wasn't.  Hatfield, Ford, Nutt, Petrino, none of those coaches were like that.  However, I think it is possible that when the news media uses that phrase they are pointing directly at Petrino, not because of how he coached or recruited, but because he wasn't nice to them and he didn't make their job easy.  It's obvious they hated him.  He might have deserved the hate, I don't know.  But, I do know he proved that with the right coach, Arkansas could be a program that could possibly win championships.

Arkansas needs a great coach to win, no big secret.  But here's the big secret about coaching in general.  Every program needs a great coach to win.  Alabama has struggled.  Remember Mike Shula?  They weren't world beaters when he was there along with some other coaches they had.  Same with Oklahoma, they are average when they have average coaches.  I'm not gonna say Bret Bielema is not going to be a great coach.  I'm not a fortune teller.  But I will say he has not been a great coach so far.  If he was, then the proof of that would be on the field and in the win/loss column.  Say what you will about Petrino, but he was a great coach here.  I hope the next time, if there is a next time, that we get a great coach that he won't be fired the first time the haters get their chance to fire him.

Shame on you

HardCore

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 13, 2017, 07:58:34 pm
Yep, bc if we dont win a Natty every year then we need to fire a coach. 

Believe I referenced competing for one, not winning one ever year....even Bama doesn't pull it out every year.  Forget that with this coach and AD
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

JaketheSnake

Quote from: HardCore on September 13, 2017, 09:20:54 pm
Believe I referenced competing for one, not winning one ever year....even Bama doesn't pull it out every year.  Forget that with this coach and AD
And when Bama doesn't win, what do their fans do?  Call into Ol Finebaum and call for Saban's head.

MemphisBossHog

I know, that's my first mistake.  But I'm listening to him talk about how reasonable fans realize that we can't expect to win the national or SEC championship every year.  I'm so sick of hearing this.  Why can't we expect it?  What makes Alabama or Oklahoma the only programs that can expect to compete for championships?

I hate this type of thinking.  Granted, Long and Bielema have beat us down and it's hard to think we might win.  But, Alabama and Oklahoma are in the positions they're in because of things that they've done and coaches they've hired.  Why can't we do those same things.  Why can't we hire those type coaches??  Granted we are a small state, but we are united behind the Hogs.  We will spend money.  I don't think our facilities are second rate.  When we need something, we get or build it.  Plus, it's been proven that with the right type of coach, we can win and win big.  I'm so sick of the "l'il ole Arkysaw" "woe is me" crap that is spewed by the news media and broadcast media to enable and excuse the poor performances by coaches over the years.

BTW, what is win at all costs?  What does that mean exactly?  It's thrown out there I think to shut people down that want to have winning program, and by that I mean win lots of games, not just 7-5!!!  I want to win at all costs within the confines of fairness and rules of the game and recruiting, etc...  I also want the players to get educated and graduate.  But I also want them to win games.  I'm certain they want to win as well.  But I don't think we've ever had a coach that had a "win at all costs" mentality with the implication being that he would cheat etc.. to win.  Frank Broyles wasn't like that.  Lou Holtz wasn't.  Hatfield, Ford, Nutt, Petrino, none of those coaches were like that.  However, I think it is possible that when the news media uses that phrase they are pointing directly at Petrino, not because of how he coached or recruited, but because he wasn't nice to them and he didn't make their job easy.  It's obvious they hated him.  He might have deserved the hate, I don't know.  But, I do know he proved that with the right coach, Arkansas could be a program that could possibly win championships.

Arkansas needs a great coach to win, no big secret.  But here's the big secret about coaching in general.  Every program needs a great coach to win.  Alabama has struggled.  Remember Mike Shula?  They weren't world beaters when he was there along with some other coaches they had.  Same with Oklahoma, they are average when they have average coaches.  I'm not gonna say Bret Bielema is not going to be a great coach.  I'm not a fortune teller.  But I will say he has not been a great coach so far.  If he was, then the proof of that would be on the field and in the win/loss column.  Say what you will about Petrino, but he was a great coach here.  I hope the next time, if there is a next time, that we get a great coach that he won't be fired the first time the haters get their chance to fire him.
go no further than recruiting.  It will tell the tale.  In the past several years, the average recruiting class ranking for Arkansas is something like 10th in the SEC and in the 25th to 27th nationally. 

Now look at the programs who "expect" to contend for an NC each year.  I bet their recruiting is way way better than Ark's.

Have we EVER had the problem of a coach at Arkansas being criticized for having so much talent and not being successful?   I cant remember it.  You never hear people say boy that ARK is loaded with talent but their coach has just squandered it.  Nope, its ALWAYS that when compared to the SEC, the Hogs are just about short on talent.   Now I'm not saying there isn't any talent at Arkansas, but when compared to other SEC programs not named Vandy or Kentucky, there simply isn't enough.  Here and there some talent comes to Ark but its not consistent and its not in big enough numbers. 

This lack of talent is highlighted even more because of the division in which Ark plays--SEC West.   Ark could probably compete fairly well in many conferences, but when compared to SEC West teams like Bama, Auburn, A$M, and LSU, its just not even close. 

IMHO, until Ark gets someone who can get more and better talent to come to Fayetteville, what we have now is what we are going to have--a team that will be around .500.  Sometimes over, a few times under (like this season most likely) and that is about it.  All you have to do is look at the players next time we play Bama, Auburn, LSU or even A$M.  They are most likely bigger.  They are almost surely faster and stronger than Arkansas players.  Its obvious to the naked eye. Hogs don't have the hosses.  And when you couple that with questionable coaching,  well that's when you get 28-7 losses at home to TCU and being outscored in the 2nd half of your last 3 games vs Power 5 teams 70-0. 

That's why we might ought to look at a coach like Memphis's Mike Norvell.  If he can get 3 & 4 stars to come to play football at Memphis, he might be the kind of recruiter we need in Fayetteville.

cj_sez

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on September 13, 2017, 10:04:38 pm

Have we EVER had the problem of a coach at Arkansas being criticized for having so much talent and not being successful?   

Darren McFadden, Felix Jones, Peyton Hillis, Jonathan Luigs, Marcus Monk, Nate Garner, Mitch Petrus, and others come to mind. Nutt had a very good roster, but was the talent fully utilized? Nope.

bondhue

Quote from: 12247 on September 13, 2017, 07:42:36 pm
And I would expect no less from the coaches.  Present a team that seems excited to be there, each of them appear excited to be there, have a HC who didn't appear to have consumed a handful of downers just before he he showed up on the field and who looks as if he is proud of his team and doesn't stand aloof and away from the fray and appears to be coaching, offering advice and taking an interest n the game.  Hell, after that, I would maybe start expecting to win a few and then a few more.  But I don't expect a complete turnaround overnight.

The horse hockey about winning SEC championships and National Titles is an avenue to distract from the crud this HC offers up.  His cult followers are taught to try and throw off and distract anyone who might offer a sane judgement on their Lord of Lords.
What he said.
That's a pretty girl.  I caught her twice.  12.5 pounds.  I hope she's still alive.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 13, 2017, 05:56:50 pm
Right now I'd like to be on the level of Oklahoma St.

Right now I'd like to be on the level of TCU ...

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: PossumFan on September 13, 2017, 07:44:30 pm
Great post until the last sentence. Once again: The only person responsible for Bobby Petrino being fired is Bobby Petrino.
I don't recall Petrino writing his own pink slip, however, I could be wrong.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

lahawg1

Should we expect to win the SEC every year? I don't think so, but I would like to be in a position to where when Bama, LSU, AU, or any others come to town they are very concerned about coming out with a W. Right now and in the foreseeable future we are considered a "cupcake" and the only teams concerned about us are the Mississippi schools and maybe Mizzu. We are the laughing stock of the West and that is where I have the problem.

It all starts with recruiting and how the coaches sell the program/school to recruits and right now we don't have anything much to sell.

Redhogs

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 13, 2017, 07:54:59 pm
What would a Razorback football discussion be without half our fans explaining to the other half why we shouldn't really expect to succeed and that any perceived success we may have experienced wasn't really all that good...and was an outlier not likely to be repeated anyway.

The indoctrination is making excellent progress.
Talk about hitting the nail on the head.....
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

jgphillips3

What would a Razorback football discussion be without half our fans explaining to the other half why we shouldn't really expect to succeed and that any perceived success we may have experienced wasn't really all that good...and was an outlier not likely to be repeated anyway.

Hammer meet nail.

hoglady

I haven't seen much complaining around here lately about not winning SEC Championships or contending for NC.
There's been plenty of valid complaints about putting a non-competitive team on the field - that doesn't appear ready or motivated to play for 4 quarters and has trouble blocking, running, passing and kicking.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

jcharkansas

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on September 13, 2017, 04:53:56 pm
Well, it's an interesting topic.  What HC should we hire to reverse the trend and get us an SECC?
Listen, I know no one thinks Petrino is a good guy or anything but he had us going the right way in terms of winning. He can't be the only guy that could do that here, there has to be other coaches that can come in and win 10 games the majority of the time and then be around 8 and 4 during down times.

Ex-Trumpet

When we settle for less than we deserve, we get even less than we settled for.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

DeltaBoy

I want us to win 7-9 most years  2 times every 10 win 10+ a SEC title and get into a NC game.  Win bowl games 95% of the time.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jkstock04

Bolded is my favorite. "Flash in a pan" is how ive heard it described many times. My understanding is that what we are doing now is actually sustainable unlike before. Lol

Also, we "almost" lost some of those games...you gotta keep that in mind. Pretty much  the same as a loss since it's not the current coach. You know...cause conference games should never be close. You should always win those by large margins like Bielema does...oh wait.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Etowah

Is Oklahoma a large state?

Oh...they border Texas...that is their advantage?

Or could it be they expect to challenge year in and year out for championships?

Großer Kriegschwein

How about simply be what he said we would be.

Power running team, strong play action game, controlling the clock, stingy defense. Run for 200 and pass for 200.

That's not what I came up with, that's what he came up with and what the AD though he would come up with when hired.

He has failed to achieve that in a good majority of the games he has been here.
This is my non-signature signature.

HognotinMemphis

What fan expects to win the SEC every year? If a fan expects that, he is one stupid mofo. We have not won the SEC in the entire 25 years we have been in it.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Hogusta National

Quote from: Redhogs on September 13, 2017, 04:50:31 pm
Did you expect anything different from these hacks?  Continuing the party like for access to the program.."being Bret Bielema" ring a bell? 

This kind of drivel cracks me up.  Like another poster said, Bo has been pretty critical this week against Bielema.  I think he is fairly objective.  Alright HV - go ahead and bash me now.

HawgHawk

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on September 14, 2017, 07:30:27 am

Don't know about the slip part, but pink is definitely what brought him down. That and the innate ability to lie about it.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on September 14, 2017, 07:30:27 am
What usually happens when an employee will not do what the employer asks?

But I know youve been beating this drum for several years and nothing will help you see the truth of the matter.

The_Iceman

Smallest state in the SEC with no national relevance and no built in recruiting base. We can compete, but not every year, and likely not for championship regularly

JaketheSnake

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 14, 2017, 10:04:12 am
Smallest state in the SEC with no national relevance and no built in recruiting base. We can compete, but not every year, and likely not for championship regularly
Agreed.  That seems logical, but if that is said then the haters scream that our expectations are too low and we will never be Bama that way. 

Our successful years have always been built around a solid in-state class!  2010-11 was built around Mallet, Childs, Gragg, etc.

2006 was McFadden, Hillis, Anderson, Monk, Luigs, etc.

We always mix in a few out of state gems, but the meat is always home grown.

1highhog

When in the last 20 years have we won big?  People like to point at the time Petrino was here but seem to forget that he couldn't get past Bama and was for the most part humiliated by Saban while here, and Petrino lost to Ole Miss twice and came close to losing to Western Illinois and ULM his 1st year and had scares his last year even against Vanderbilt, Troy, and Ole Miss again.  Sure, Nutt at Ole Miss this game was his Super Bowl of games but that shouldn't have mattered, we had by far the best Coach and very good players and should have won easily but didn't.  IMO, we haven't won big in 40 years now.

razoredge178

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 13, 2017, 05:56:50 pm
Right now I'd like to be on the level of Oklahoma St.

Me too. To compare ARK to OKSt means you have to compare the SEC to the Big12. I think OKSt has an easier path to success than we do, from recruiting all the way to their week to week schedule.

Porkette

Why on earth would Arkansas fans "expect" to win an SEC championship every 2 or 3 years when we haven't won 1 in our 25 years in the league with 6 different head coaches, and 2006 is the only year we ever really came close? That doesn't make sense. That's not expecting in any kind of rational way, it's just blind hope (which is fine for a fan to have, but not the same thing).  I personally HOPE to see the Razorbacks win one in my lifetime, and believe it is possible, and it would be amazing to see.

Now, I guess it's always POSSIBLE that one person could come along and build a powerhouse here the way John McDonnell did with track, but it would probably mean getting really, really, really  lucky with someone unknown, like track did with him. For the most part, the rich get richer in college football, and it's hard to catch up.

GO HOGS GO!

Kevin

win the championship, probably not. in a 5 year period I would like to be in the running for it at least 2 years
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Porkette

One more thing to add to my comment, what I most hope for Arkansas in the short term is to get some stability and sustained success with a head coach, like Okie State has with Mike Gundy or TCU has with Gary Patterson. That's the first step, and then you can hope for the year when it all comes together. Of course, lots of schools want that.
GO HOGS GO!

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 14, 2017, 10:37:29 am
Agreed.  That seems logical, but if that is said then the haters scream that our expectations are too low and we will never be Bama that way. 

Our successful years have always been built around a solid in-state class!  2010-11 was built around Mallet, Childs, Gragg, etc.

2006 was McFadden, Hillis, Anderson, Monk, Luigs, etc.

We always mix in a few out of state gems, but the meat is always home grown.
Mallett played football for Texas High in Texarkana, Texas. Sorry to break that to you. The only time Ryan played against a team from Arkansas, it was the annual beginning of the year Texas High v Arkansas High and to say Ryan lit them up would be a huge understatement. Texas plays better football than Arkansas in high school. And it's not even close, ask Shiloh Christian who hung 80 on them when they were 'top dogs' in Arkansas.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: Etowah on September 14, 2017, 09:04:45 am
Is Oklahoma a large state?

Oh...they border Texas...that is their advantage?

Or could it be they expect to challenge year in and year out for championships?

amen

bondhue

Forget Nutt, forget Petrino, forget won loss records, forget everything about the past.  Those are all distractions.

Focus on what Hoglady said above. 

Are you satisfied with what you see on the field.  Does it give you hope for next week?  If we see the same next week, does it give you hope for the rest of the season?

I think the defense will be fine, if the offense and special teams can make progress.  We will see next week if our offense and special teams make any progress.  If they do not make any progress, we are in for a bad meat of schedule run.
That's a pretty girl.  I caught her twice.  12.5 pounds.  I hope she's still alive.

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: Al Boarland on September 13, 2017, 07:30:52 pm
I'll break it down for you. With all the resources the program has it can't buy tradition. The stone cold facts are talented players have to drive by programs with more tradition and similar resources on the long haul to Fayetteville. So, what is our differentiator? We don't have one.

our tradition is mountains above Okie State, Colorado and the other programs he mentioned

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on September 14, 2017, 11:52:22 am
Mallett played football for Texas High in Texarkana, Texas. Sorry to break that to you. The only time Ryan played against a team from Arkansas, it was the annual beginning of the year Texas High v Arkansas High and to say Ryan lit them up would be a huge understatement. Texas plays better football than Arkansas in high school. And it's not even close, ask Shiloh Christian who hung 80 on them when they were 'top dogs' in Arkansas.
Ryan Mallet was born in Batesville, went to school a few years in Lincoln as well.  He was also a Razoraback fan growing up.  You can have the technicality that he graduated from Texarkana, TX, a whopping mile from the state line, but he was an in-state prospect. 

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Rudy Baylor on September 14, 2017, 01:19:08 pm
our tradition is mountains above Okie State, Colorado and the other programs he mentioned
Traditions mean jack crap in modern football.  Notre Dame sucks

idochog

Don't expect anything from kiss A$$ from BO on Bielema.  He makes bank off his access by producing Being Brett Bielema.  Dont look for him to mess that up.  You are gonna get fluff and BS mostly from Bo instead of hard hitting commentary.
I love Jesus!

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: Redhogs on September 13, 2017, 04:58:10 pm
We did win 10 and 11 games in consecutive seasons...see that happening anytime soon under the Long CBB regime?  I'll hang up and listen. There is someone out there other than BP that can do that and stay off a motorcycle but it sure the hell ain't these guys....and excepting things as they are now is condoning failure.

Any chance we can get Bobby back?

JD Hogg

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 14, 2017, 01:34:24 pm
Traditions mean jack crap in modern football.  Notre Dame sucks

Thank you for making that point.  Alabama sucked when they had bad coaches.  Same for Oklahoma, USC and Ohio State.  Coaching makes a huge difference.  We need a great coach!!  Can JL find another Petrino w/o the baggage?  I hope so.

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

JaketheSnake

Quote from: twistitup on September 14, 2017, 03:42:48 pm
They were in the top 25
They almost always start out in the top 15, but as their schedule plays out they lose to mediocre teams and good teams and drop out.  They have not been relevant in years. 

Same for Nebraska. 

Minnesota has more tradition (or at least all-time wins) than Ole Miss. 

Hog N Bama

Quote from: lakecityhog on September 13, 2017, 05:07:41 pm
Why not us? Wasn't that the team's "mantra" last year?

Look at what Gundy is doing in STILLWATER Oklahoma! Look at what Cutcliffe is doing at freaking DUKE!!! Is Wisconsin in a recruiting hotbed? Colorado?

To label Arkansas as hard to recruit to is the biggest lie told in this state! It is hard for me to believe that any kid would rather go to Stillwater than Fayetteville.
This guy gets it

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on September 14, 2017, 11:52:22 am

Misleading.  Top dogs in their classification for sure, but Shiloh wouldn't have beaten BV or even FV that season, and certainly didn't have their overall size.  They had no business playing against TX's highest classification.  That was a joke. 

Also...Texarkana AR came up and played Bentonville several years back and got wrecked.  I get what you're saying, but that's stretching it a little to act like we've never had teams that could compete with anyone in TX.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on September 14, 2017, 06:51:24 pm
Misleading.  Top dogs in their classification for sure, but Shiloh wouldn't have beaten BV or even FV that season, and certainly didn't have their overall size.  They had no business playing against TX's highest classification.  That was a joke. 

Also...Texarkana AR came up and played Bentonville several years back and got wrecked.  I get what you're saying, but that's stretching it a little to act like we've never had teams that could compete with anyone in TX.   
And generally, Arkansas High is competitive with Texas High. 

moses_007

Al Boarland

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 14, 2017, 09:04:28 am
Bolded is my favorite. "Flash in a pan" is how ive heard it described many times. My understanding is that what we are doing now is actually sustainable unlike before. Lol

Also, we "almost" lost some of those games...you gotta keep that in mind. Pretty much  the same as a loss since it's not the current coach. You know...cause conference games should never be close. You should always win those by large margins like Bielema does...oh wait.

My favorite part is we "should have" won x number of games.

Al Boarland

September 15, 2017, 04:10:42 am #96 Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 05:22:31 am by Al Boarland
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on September 14, 2017, 01:19:08 pm

We aren't typically competing for those players. If you look at their roster they would not be anything close to the top programs in the SEC.

ComeonHogs!!!

recruiting!!!  We need better players just like every other program. But do we handcuff ourselves with the numbers? we only got what 15 to 18 spots this year? how many 4Th and 5Th year guys are on the 2 deep? I think Bret needs to make a gentlemans agreement with recruits, be on the 2 deep by years 4 and 5, we will give you every chance to play, but you need to get your degree in 4 years. this will allow you to grad transfer. its a ugly side but seem it could be managed. We will never have enough talent by only signing 16, 17 players.
State Pride!!!

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on September 14, 2017, 03:30:26 pm
Any chance we can get Bobby back?

Gonna go out on a limb and say it's more likely that Long hires Gruden before Petrino.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Redhogs

Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?