Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kicking Situation ?

Started by bvillepig, September 12, 2017, 06:54:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bvillepig

I have a few questions for those that might know. The verdict is out that coach is benching Cole for good according to the press conference.

Does he participate in drills?

If the answer is yes and he continues to out perform the others in practice does coach give him other chances?
If the answer is no is he off the team ?

Wouldn't it be worth the effort to find out what is causing him to freeze up during games ?

Remember Lane Tiffin  Alabama.

I was watching Cole in pre game warm ups and from my eye there was no doubt who had the best velocity and height on his kicks. He was one of only four kickers that is perfect on extra points in the SEC.  He has never missed an extra point. He is on the SEC academic honor roll.  There is a lot of upside in spite of what is being aired publicly.

SavoySeamster

The truth of the matter is, you can make 70 yarders in practice or pregame, but if you can't hit a gimme in the game, time to ride the pine. Some folks react, or can't react to pressure differently. I would say his troubles are between the ears, especially now that the coach has put him in the dog house.
"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes."

NuttinItUp

Missing a 20-yard FG is inexcusable. Pull the dude's scholarship.

bphi11ips

Leigh Tiffin missed 3 short field goals and an extra point in Alabama's OT loss in Fayetteville in 2006.  He went on to be one of Alabama's greatest kickers. 

Cole Hedlund was 93 of 93 extra points going into the game Saturday.  He had a bad day.  That doesn't mean he's a bad placekicker.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

jgphillips3

He's looking like the latest Tejada.  Great in practice, all in his head in games.  I never want to see Hedlund kick field goals again...ever.  Let him get his education and all that, but I don't want to see him hit the field ever again.  He just sucks under pressure.  Lots of people do.  It's okay but it should put him on the pine.

NuttinItUp

RazorPiggie

010HogFan

I'm sure he's a nice guy, but don't want to see him kick for us ever again. Enough.

HawgLife

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 12, 2017, 09:54:40 pm
Leigh Tiffin missed 3 short field goals and an extra point in Alabama's OT loss in Fayetteville in 2006.  He went on to be one of Alabama's greatest kickers. 

Cole Hedlund was 93 of 93 extra points going into the game Saturday.  He had a bad day.  That doesn't mean he's a bad placekicker.

According to the media guide, plus his 0 for 2 mark this season, he is 14-24 for his career on FG attempts. That's not very good. At least 3 of those misses are from inside 25 yards. So, it's true that he is money on PATs, but even when a FG is just as short as a PAT, he isn't money. That certainly seems to be a mental issue for whatever reason.

texas tush hog

Kendall Trainor did the same thing in the first game in Little Rock in 1988. He threw his kicking shoe into the trash can after the last miss and missed. I remember his brother Kevin(now Razorback associate athletic director) telling him "that's typical, wide left." Hatfield sent him back out later in the game to a chorus of boos. He then proceeded to kick 23 consecutive field goals to finish the season.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: texas tush hog on September 13, 2017, 09:43:27 am
Kendall Trainor did the same thing in the first game in Little Rock in 1988. He threw his kicking shoe into the trash can after the last miss and missed. I remember his brother Kevin(now Razorback maketing director) telling him "that's typical, wide left." Hatfield sent him back out later in the game to a chorus of boos. He then proceeded to kick 23 consecutive field goals to finish the season.

He was also called a "Choker" by his position coach.

"He is the type that tries to motivate you by getting all up in your kitchen," Trainor said. "He walked by my locker and told me I was a choker. I just kind of simmered by my locker."
This is my non-signature signature.

Malvin

In 2006 Leigh was a freshman who replaced their starting kicker who got a groin injury, he missed a couple field goals and cost them the game.. that can happen as a freshman and you continue to work with the kid.

Our situation is very different, our kicker is a junior who received a full scholarship as a kicker.  Honestly we should pull the scholarship and give it to a walk on who is performing.  At this point it may sound harsh but it's probably the best thing that will ever happen to the kid, have him transfer to another school and have a fresh start... he could still be the best kicker in the world but it's clear that Arkansas is not for him in terms of kicking.

It's the same place in the workplace, sometimes the best thing that could ever happen to an employee is moving on from their job and starting something new.   

texas tush hog

Quote from: Malvin on September 13, 2017, 09:57:06 am
In 2006 Leigh was a freshman who replaced their starting kicker who got a groin injury, he missed a couple field goals and cost them the game.. that can happen as a freshman and you continue to work with the kid.

Our situation is very different, our kicker is a junior who received a full scholarship as a kicker.  Honestly we should pull the scholarship and give it to a walk on who is performing.  At this point it may sound harsh but it's probably the best thing that will ever happen to the kid, have him transfer to another school and have a fresh start... he could still be the best kicker in the world but it's clear that Arkansas is not for him in terms of kicking.

It's the same place in the workplace, sometimes the best thing that could ever happen to an employee is moving on from their job and starting something new.   

In 1988 Kendall Trainor was a senior. Besides that you cannot pull a scholarship in midseason and Cole will probably graduate after this year and be a grad transfer immediately eligible at a new school.

texas tush hog

lstewart

I'm sure Cole will remain on the team and continue working. But he probably won't kick any more field goals this year. It's always possible something could happen to the other kickers and you need him, but coaches won't assume practice carries over to games. Sounds like he is the most talented kicker in practice, so that probably won't change. Maybe they will let him kick off or something. He probably won't be back next year, but you never know.

tasteslikechicken

Quote from: HawgLife on September 12, 2017, 10:37:00 pm
According to the media guide, plus his 0 for 2 mark this season, he is 14-24 for his career on FG attempts. That's not very good. At least 3 of those misses are from inside 25 yards. So, it's true that he is money on PATs, but even when a FG is just as short as a PAT, he isn't money. That certainly seems to be a mental issue for whatever reason.

To add to this, of the 14 made FGs, only two were longer than 30 yards.

PORKULATOR

Idk if a sports psychologist can fix that boys issues.... Maybe some mystic guru could save him. He was top 5 in the country coming out of HS. 9-17 since last season began is  unacceptable.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Hoginsavga

Quote from: HawgLife on September 12, 2017, 10:37:00 pm

It isn't just the field goal kicker that seems to have a mental issue in the red zone. The coaches and entire offense seems to freeze once they get in to scoring position. Been happening for four years +. Very similar to our second half meltdowns.

texas tush hog

Quote from: Hoginsavga on September 13, 2017, 02:07:18 pm
It isn't just the field goal kicker that seems to have a mental issue in the red zone. The coaches and entire offense seems to freeze once they get in to scoring position. Been happening for four years +. Very similar to our second half meltdowns.

Yea, but the coaches and the entire offense has not had to face the same degree of accountability that Cole has.

PossumFan

Quote from: texas tush hog on September 13, 2017, 02:21:54 pm
Yea, but the coaches and the entire offense has not had to face the same degree of accountability that Cole has.

Kicker is a lot easier to replace than entire offense.

texas tush hog

Quote from: PossumFan on September 13, 2017, 02:28:03 pm
Kicker is a lot easier to replace than entire offense.

And it takes several games.