Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Isn't it obvious?

Started by bjbuatamu, September 11, 2017, 06:36:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bjbuatamu

A.  Get a coach with SEC experience or at least someone who knows what he's getting into with this league.

B.  Get a coach that can recruit Texas.  Baker Mayfield...from Texas.  Jalen Hurts...from Texas. 

C.  Get an athletic director who knows and understands A. and B. above.

D.  Get a chancellor that understands A., B., and C. above.

E.  Fire the strength and conditioning coach first.  What's with all of these injuries and lack of speed?

Brent Venables.  But that's just my opinion.  Go Hogs! 

rhames

Don't stop at the chancellor. Clean house on the whole faculty!!

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

ZERO

I wouldn't mind us giving Venables a shot, but he doesn't meet any of your obvious criteria. He's been a college coach at some level since 1989, and doesn't have a speck of SEC experience, nor has he coached in Texas. Not even a G5 school.

I'm only mad at Long for the ridiculous buyout. Bielema was a smart hire on paper. Anderson was a smart hire on paper. Petrino breathed new life into our program. JLS was only going to be an interim in an awkward part of the year. He was a stopgap who had ties to the university, had loads of HC experience, and he actually did quite well at Louisville. I was mad about 2012, but it wasn't ever going to end up much better. We see how good Haynes, McGee, and Paul Petrino have turned out as HCs at lower schools. I can at least see his path of logic in every choice he's made except for the stupid buyout. It's handcuffed and stalled us in the absolute worst way.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

jcul28

You realize how many coaches "missed" Baker Mayfield?

HardCore

And, change the org chart.  The director of Athletics should report to the President or BOT, NOT the Chancellor.  We don't need another John White, who was such a plethora of sporting knowledge, choosing and controlling the position of AD.  That's how we got here!
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

TebowHater

Quote from: ZERO on September 11, 2017, 06:45:28 pm
I wouldn't mind us giving Venables a shot, but he doesn't meet any of your obvious criteria. He's been a college coach at some level since 1989, and doesn't have a speck of SEC experience, nor has he coached in Texas. Not even a G5 school.

I'm only mad at Long for the ridiculous buyout. Bielema was a smart hire on paper. Anderson was a smart hire on paper. Petrino breathed new life into our program. JLS was only going to be an interim in an awkward part of the year. He was a stopgap who had ties to the university, had loads of HC experience, and he actually did quite well at Louisville. I was mad about 2012, but it wasn't ever going to end up much better. We see how good Haynes, McGee, and Paul Petrino have turned out as HCs at lower schools. I can at least see his path of logic in every choice he's made except for the stupid buyout. It's handcuffed and stalled us in the absolute worst way.

This this this. Everyone says he's hired poorly, which I can't figure out. He's actually hired as well as anyone could on paper. It was the extension with additional buyout after year two that put us in this awful position.

ricepig

Quote from: HardCore on September 11, 2017, 06:53:57 pm
And, change the org chart.  The director of Athletics should report to the President or BOT, NOT the Chancellor.  We don't need another John White, who was such a plethora of sporting knowledge, choosing and controlling the position of AD.  That's how we got here!

Wait, don't you mean that answers to the big boosters?

ricepig

Quote from: TebowHater on September 11, 2017, 07:06:37 pm
This this this. Everyone says he's hired poorly, which I can't figure out. He's actually hired as well as anyone could on paper. It was the extension with additional buyout after year two that put us in this awful position.

We can pay it out if we choose. Now, will it make us look like fools, yes, sure Long negotiated it, but everyone else signed off. Didn't the ambulance chaser out of Texarkana make some kind of motion or request that all future contracts have a better review? I thought I read that back this summer after a board meeting.

hawgon

Quote from: TebowHater on September 11, 2017, 07:06:37 pm

He hired about as badly as he could have when you consider our personnel and style at the time.  There were lots of other guys who could have come in and picked up right where Petrino left off.

ZERO

Quote from: hawgon on September 11, 2017, 07:16:57 pm
He hired about as badly as he could have when you consider our personnel and style at the time.  There were lots of other guys who could have come in and picked up right where Petrino left off.

Petrino was from JLS' tree. Not even the other way around. He was Petrino's boss at one point before taking over Louisville when JLS left for Michigan State. I remember the attitude at the time was a monkey could win 9 or 10 with the offense Petrino had left us. Obviously not. That year was doomed no matter how you cut it.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

razorsharptusk

Its obvious that with 5 years under his belt, we are no better off than we were when we got here. Other than graduation rates. 

I think since Coach is looking at personell changes, dont stop with the kicker,  go to the QB as well.  Why not?  Last year and this year there is no change at all with his play.  Even if your line protects, and they did plenty against TCU, you cant take all day to decide what to do with the ball.

The team seemed to actually enjoy playing and played with a purpose when Cole came in in the first game.  Kid looked confident and not nervous at all.  Has the physicality to get the job done.  I can't get out of my head how he fired the sideline up when he took on the line backer.  He could be a game changer. Just my opinion of course.
GO HOGS!!

LZH

I survived the hurricane, thank you.

When BB sent his love letter to JL....the search was over.

hobhog

Quote from: ricepig on September 11, 2017, 07:11:59 pm
Wait, don't you mean that answers to the big boosters?

How about season ticket holders and/or Foundation members? Pretty sure that would not include 95% on here....

bondhue

Quote from: razorsharptusk on September 11, 2017, 08:53:31 pm
I think since Coach is looking at personell changes, dont stop with the kicker,  go to the QB as well.  Why not?  Last year and this year there is no change at all with his play.  Even if your line protects, and they did plenty against TCU, you cant take all day to decide what to do with the ball.

The team seemed to actually enjoy playing and played with a purpose when Cole came in in the first game.  Kid looked confident and not nervous at all.  Has the physicality to get the job done.  I can't get out of my head how he fired the sideline up when he took on the line backer.  He could be a game changer. Just my opinion of course.
That's a pretty girl.  I caught her twice.  12.5 pounds.  I hope she's still alive.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: bjbuatamu on September 11, 2017, 06:36:25 pm
A.  Get a coach with SEC experience or at least someone who knows what he's getting into with this league.

B.  Get a coach that can recruit Texas.  Baker Mayfield...from Texas.  Jalen Hurts...from Texas. 

E.  Fire the strength and conditioning coach first.  What's with all of these injuries and lack of speed?

It's "obvious" until you start trying to fill in some REAL names as options for HC, AD and Chancellor. 

Reminds me of Steve Martin's "How to be a millionaire and PAY NO TAXES!" bit.

Dwight_K_Shrute

I do think Venables would be a good option.

The hire someone with SEC experience is a bit absurd because it limits the candidate pool. 

Although no SEC experience.  Venables is a known commodity in Tex-homa because of his long tenure at OU.  He is now also a known commodity in that SC-GA-FL line of recruiting. 

The other thing I like about BV is that he is in charge of the D at a school more known for it's offense and with an HC with an offensive background. That means the D is all his.  He is definitely the HC of the D.  But he also knows the importance of a dynamic offense. 

He has been a coordinator for a long time at two different P5 schools.  Got out from under Stoops wing and has been very successful at Clemson.

He has worked at schools with very high expectations that have both won NCs. 

He is not a young up and comer.  He is 46 years old and by all accounts ready to be an HC.  Interestingly enough his time at OU overlapped with Jeff Long's time at OU. 

I usually lean against coordinators but I would say in this instance due to the experience and results he has had it would be worth taking a  hard look at him.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

GoHogs1091

The ship may have already sailed regarding Venables.  We had two chances to hire him as HC when we hired Petrino and Bielema, but now our job may not be big enough anymore for him.  He has put himself in a position through elite results that he now should be in consideration for a very big-time HC job.  He told the media right after Clemson won the NC that he hopes to never leave Clemson.  I wouldn't surprised if he has been told by the Clemson Athletic Administration that if Swinney leaves in the future that he is guaranteed to be Swinney's replacement.

His press conferences are informative.  Here is his press conference last week before they played Auburn.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 13, 2017, 02:40:25 pm
The ship may have already sailed regarding Venables.  We had two chances to hire him as HC when we hired Petrino and Bielema, but now our job may not be big enough anymore for him.  He has put himself in a position through elite results that he now should be in consideration for a very big-time HC job.  He told the media right after Clemson won the NC that he hopes to never leave Clemson.  I wouldn't surprised if he has been told by the Clemson Athletic Administration that if Swinney leaves in the future that he is guaranteed to be Swinney's replacement.

FWIW, I believe Venables is one of those coaches who will be a career Assistant coach (and, a darned good one) unless he stays at Clemson and takes over when Dabo retires.  He seems to be an outstanding defensive coach, but I don't know that he has the presence and media savvy to be THE guy at a Power 5 school.  There was a period of time where his name came up for such opportunities, as normally does for a successful, up-and-coming coordinator.  But he never got the position, and I think that tells us something.

In this day and age, when a top coordinator can make $800,000 and more per year (Head coaching money 10-15 years ago), why shouldn't a guy like Venables stay off of the hot seat that is Head Coaching, and stay in a role he KNOWS he can perform at a high level?

He may get lured by big money $2.5+ million per year) to give it a try, but I predict he will not reach the anticipated level of success if he does.  Not slamming the guy - just saying he's an outstanding Def Coordinator, and not all of them are cut out to the Head Coaches.

Calling All Hogs

If we fire Herb who will feed Pizza to all the potted plants?