Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jeff Long admits to not even trying...

Started by Malvin, September 12, 2017, 10:21:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgmasta

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 12, 2017, 07:33:57 pm
So you are saying we are not going to win over boys that their parents dont have a team they watch every Saturday.  I grew up when the Hogs were not winning much and became a fan.  A lot of us grew up when we were not winning championships and are still fans.  Most fans have never seen a true conference championship and/or national championship, but are still fans.

Yes, and being the state in the sec with the smallest population and fewest DI recruits produced we really really need the exposure to kids who might say "wow, those guys win and go to the NFL" etc etc. I honestly believe that a coaching staff has the most to do with recruiting but it sure isn't helping to be mediocre.

I was a little emotional on my first post about losing an entire generation I admit; I'm just shocked and saddened it's come to this. If my son is an Alabama fan I won't chastise him because he will be a hell of a lot happier than me.

jkstock04

Quote from: jcbville on September 12, 2017, 06:17:15 pm
Ok? Has nothing to do with the question that was referenced.
Actually, you didn't ask a question. Nothing was said about grades...but this was the closest thing I could find to counter what you said someone would never do.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

woodrow hog call

Quote from: hawgmasta on September 12, 2017, 07:40:38 pm
Yes, and being the state in the sec with the smallest population and fewest DI recruits produced we really really need the exposure to kids who might say "wow, those guys win and go to the NFL" etc etc. I honestly believe that a coaching staff has the most to do with recruiting but it sure isn't helping to be mediocre.

I was a little emotional on my first post about losing an entire generation I admit; I'm just shocked and saddened it's come to this. If my son is an Alabama fan I won't chastise him
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

hawgmasta

Quote from: ricepig on September 12, 2017, 07:37:30 pm
Yeah, not much being posted on here lately, kind of dead.

How old are these posters and what colleges are they thinking about taking their  official visits?

Most on here are full grown men who grew up in Arkansas. If we EVER want to be nationally relevant more than once a generation we kind of have to be a win at all cost program.

Of course I don't want to be like Ole Miss or Baylor, but I want to be a lot more competitive.

ricepig

Quote from: hawgmasta on September 12, 2017, 07:45:00 pm
How old are these posters and what colleges are they thinking about taking their  official visits?

Most on here are full grown men who grew up in Arkansas. If we EVER want to be nationally relevant more than once a generation we kind of have to be a win at all cost program.

Of course I don't want to be like Ole Miss or Baylor, but I want to be a lot more competitive.

I doubt too many students choose their college based on sports teams. Now, I realize it factors into some, but most are thinking of their education/degree/party.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: hawgmasta on September 12, 2017, 07:40:38 pm

I was a little emotional on my first post about losing an entire generation I admit; I'm just shocked and saddened it's come to this. If my son is an Alabama fan I won't chastise him because he will be a hell of a lot happier than me.
IMO kids grow up fans of teams and want to go there no matter what (Ty Clary, AA, McFadden), can be recruited to teams that use their positions well (Merrick, Luke Ford, Mallett originally and transfer), or will go to the best offer they get regardless of fandom (Frazier, KJ Hill?.)

Arkansas' best teams always coincide with strong in-state recruiting classes. 

I think as many people wear other schools stuff because the colors are "cool" or they like the program.  Doesnt mean that they arnt hog fans first.  I think we all have other teams we root for.  I root for Stanford against everyone (except the hogs if they ever play).  I like their style of football and its a place kids often go bc of the education as much as the football. 

JaketheSnake

Quote from: hawgmasta on September 12, 2017, 07:45:00 pm

Kids in high school are too worried about their high school season right not to be that concerned over Jeff Long.  Recruits learn to not listen to the noise.

hawgmasta

Quote from: ricepig on September 12, 2017, 07:47:43 pm
I doubt too many students choose their college based on sports teams. Now, I realize it factors into some, but most are thinking of their education/degree/party.

That's true, and the cost. Do you think it would be helpful with recruits and all the athletic program though?

ricepig

Quote from: hawgmasta on September 12, 2017, 07:52:06 pm
That's true, and the cost. Do you think it would be helpful with recruits and all the athletic program though?

Sure, winning helps, everyone wants to win, probably even Bielema and Long.

Boarslab

I could have care less if Bobby rode a Harley with a volleyball chick on the back...as a matter of fact, that was pretty damn awesome for that old dude.  Anyone else give a sheet if he crashed with a hot chick on the back?  I'm thinking not many Hog fans do at this point...thanks Jeff "Integrity" Long for showing us you wasn't going to stand for any of that..."sarcasm."
Now, who the hell is that Bret BeEnema from Wisconsin Jeff?

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Boarslab on September 12, 2017, 08:09:26 pm
I could have care less if Bobby rode a Harley with a volleyball chick on the back...as a matter of fact, that was pretty damn awesome for that old dude.  Anyone else give a sheet if he crashed with a hot chick on the back?  I'm thinking not many Hog fans do at this point...thanks Jeff "Integrity" Long for showing us you wasn't going to stand for any of that..."sarcasm."

Yeah, none of that hiring her for the tail and taking her on trips was important or anything.  Lying to the boss.  Not a problem.

But lets not turn this into a BP vs. JL thread.

rude1

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 12, 2017, 06:04:27 pm
I'm really not overreacting. This is a legit concern I've seen for coming 2-3 years now...and it's starting to come to a head where others are taking notice.

I'm afraid winning to Jeff Long is just the cherry on top. Where and when it'll start getting his attention is if he can't spin and deflect things enough in the offseason per usual to get people to forget the previous year and continue to pony up.
Let's say you went all in on a hire to the point you handicapped the program with a buyout that was so extensive, it made it next to impossible financially to get rid of him. Let's say you are AD and your hire isn't producing the wins the fans are wanting and expecting and the natives begin to get restless, but you have tied the programs hands with a buyout that you know it's going to take at least a couple of years no matter the record to get out of.

When you get up to speak, do you speak on the subject of winning & competing, the very thing that's building the anger, or do you get up there and espouse all the wonderful things your hire is doing outside of winning that shows the program is still on some kind of track?

Boarslab

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 12, 2017, 08:11:48 pm
Yeah, none of that hiring her for the tail and taking her on trips was important or anything.  Lying to the boss.  Not a problem.

But lets not turn this into a BP vs. JL thread.
Not many cared--especially right now--I sure don't and didn't then.  However, we still have our integrity now don't we?

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Boarslab on September 12, 2017, 08:16:53 pm
Not many cared--especially right now--I sure don't and didn't then.  However, we still have our integrity now don't we?
We do, and many cared.  People around here dont like being laughed at for football.  How many outside this state were laughing at us for getting exactly what we knew we would get by hiring BP after that motorcycle ride? 

CBB hasnt turned in the wins that we hoped.  He has at least 22 more games to win some of the fan base back. 

hawgmasta

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 12, 2017, 08:25:34 pm
We do, and many cared.  People around here dont like being laughed at for football.  How many outside this state were laughing at us for getting exactly what we knew we would get by hiring BP after that motorcycle ride? 

CBB hasnt turned in the wins that we hoped.  He has at least 22 more games to win some of the fan base back.

Nobody I knew personally from out of the state laughed at us about that, they thought it was insane that we fired him.
They all knew CBP was an egomaniac jack*** but also knew he was possible the best modern coach we ever had.

redneckfriend

"Integrity" is now a dirty word I guess- and not "our" integrity because I doubt you even attended the University of Arkansas, and if that is the case certainly not your integrity (which seems to be MIA). Rather the "integrity" of the institution as a whole, which is what your hero Bobby P. screwed, just as surely as that "awesome old dude" screwed his skank. Why don't you just put a sock in it bro.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: hawgmasta on September 12, 2017, 08:33:41 pm
Nobody I knew personally from out of the state laughed at us about that, they thought it was insane that we fired him.
They all knew CBP was an egomaniac jack*** but also knew he was possible the best modern coach we ever had.

I have one non-hog fan friend that thought we should keep him.  Of course now he thinks we should get Kiffin or Klingsbury.  Other than that, people understood BP put the UofA in a terrible position.  We would be looked at just like Ole Miss or Baylor if we had kept him... but hey, we would have a few more wins.

Boarslab

Quote from: redneckfriend on September 12, 2017, 08:34:24 pm
"Integrity" is now a dirty word I guess- and not "our" integrity because I doubt you even attended the University of Arkansas, and if that is the case certainly not your integrity (which seems to be MIA). Rather the "integrity" of the institution as a whole, which is what your hero Bobby P. screwed, just as surely as that "awesome old dude" screwed his skank. Why don't you just put a sock in it bro.

I like to win.  Winning is the name of the game. period.  Short of something unlawful or against SEC/NCAA rules.  Winning--people like to win and that's the 'Long' and short of it.  Now, I'll take your advice and put a sock in it thank you.  And yes, I'll take Penatrino any day over BeEnema.

hawgmasta

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 12, 2017, 08:37:26 pm
I have one non-hog fan friend that thought we should keep him.  Of course now he thinks we should get Kiffin or Klingsbury.  Other than that, people understood BP put the UofA in a terrible position.  We would be looked at just like Ole Miss or Baylor if we had kept him... but hey, we would have a few more wins.

It's probably also a lot of revisionist history now that he's doing so well at Louisville. How could you guys have done that?!? Etc.

Hog fans are usually the only ones who know all the details.

hawgmasta

Quote from: Boarslab on September 12, 2017, 08:51:04 pm
I like to win.  Winning is the name of the game. period.  Short of something unlawful or against SEC/NCAA rules.  Winning--people like to win and that's the 'Long' and short of it.  Now, I'll take your advice and put a sock in it thank you.  And yes, I'll take Penatrino any day over BeEnema.

Nice wordplay, don't think I've heard penatrino before but I'm keeping that one for later.

Bardicer

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on September 12, 2017, 10:41:48 am
If winning isn't our #1 goal why are we paying so much for our coach?

Last year Bielema was the 7th lowest paid coach in the conference.  Why get mad that we get mediocre results when the pay is mediocre?

That's like getting pissed that the minimum wage burger flipper didn't give you a gourmet burger.

GoHogs1091

A problem with Long's either or premise of winning is the only thing important or academics is the main importance is that there are schools who place a high priority on winning football games that also actually have good academics.

Alabama, Florida, Michigan, and Oklahoma are some that win and have good academics.

redneckfriend

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 12, 2017, 09:38:09 pm
A problem with Long's either or premise of winning is the only thing important or academics is the main importance is that there are schools who place a high priority on winning football games that also actually have good academics.

Alabama, Florida, Michigan, and Oklahoma are some that win and have good academics.

Uh-huh and good recruiting bases too. Makes it kind of too easy to be good when you can't help but be good. Maybe you can come up with a way for Arkansas to get some of those 5* players away from those schools- nobody we've hired to coach seems to have a clue how to do that.

PorkRinds

Evidently you don't. Some of us do.

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

razorbackred1

I do find it interesting the hypocrisy of Jeff Long's statement, if the ultimate goal is the well-being and graduation rate for student-athletes, then why don't the professors of the University make $4.2M a year! Simply put, you pay a coach $4.2 million dollars a year to win not to graduate players ... if the two go hand-in-hand that's great but ultimately you're paying the coach to win!

JaketheSnake

Quote from: razorbackred1 on September 13, 2017, 07:22:32 am
I do find it interesting the hypocrisy of Jeff Long's statement, if the ultimate goal is the well-being and graduation rate for student-athletes, then why don't the professors of the University make $4.2M a year! Simply put, you pay a coach $4.2 million dollars a year to win not to graduate players ... if the two go hand-in-hand that's great but ultimately you're paying the coach to win!
Which Jeff Long has said...

HotlantaHog

The Wall Street Journal has occasionally posted a grid with four quadrants. Along one axis are the programs that win a lot versus though that hardly ever win. Along the other axis is those that have a great reputation versus those that have an awful reputation for cutting corners and cheating.

There are programs that win at a high level and have a good reputation: Stanford, Washington, Clemson come to mind.

Arkansas actually falls in the middle -- winning a bit more than normal, but NOT having that great of a reputation despite Jeff Long.

The worst schools that have lost a lot and have bad reputations are those like Penn State and a few others.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/college-footballs-grid-of-shame-1472764117

The larger point is winning is not inconsistent with running a clean program that has a good reputation.

Malvin

Quote from: Boarslab on September 12, 2017, 08:09:26 pm

I don't think Long cared that he was banging her or that he was cheating on his wife, I think what got Long is that Bobby lied to him when he asked about it.  That lack of trust caused Bobby to ultimately get fired.  If Bobby would have just told him.. ya, I was riding my bike with my mistress on the back then I'm sure there would have been some cover up and business as usual would have continued. 

DeltaBoy

Welcome to being the Vandy of the West and the Rice of the Old SW conference!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Redhogs

Quote from: hawgmasta on September 12, 2017, 07:28:50 pm
Right. . . But that's not how it works. I live outside of Arkansas now and will guide my son towards the hogs as much as I can but unless you haven't been paying attention to the younger generation lately they prefer to like teams that win. Being from somewhere has little to do with loyalty to a team nowadays.

Just like business it's about a brand and success. It's the image you impose on someone's mind. Arkansas isn't even on people's mind at the moment.
Correct...the winners have the fans..just the way it is. Media and real time access have made this happen.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Redhogs

Quote from: HotlantaHog on September 13, 2017, 07:41:40 am
The Wall Street Journal has occasionally posted a grid with four quadrants. Along one axis are the programs that win a lot versus though that hardly ever win. Along the other axis is those that have a great reputation versus those that have an awful reputation for cutting corners and cheating.

There are programs that win at a high level and have a good reputation: Stanford, Washington, Clemson come to mind.

Arkansas actually falls in the middle -- winning a bit more than normal, but NOT having that great of a reputation despite Jeff Long.

The worst schools that have lost a lot and have bad reputations are those like Penn State and a few others.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/college-footballs-grid-of-shame-1472764117

The larger point is winning is not inconsistent with running a clean program that has a good reputation.
Yes, you can win and have a good rep...this narrative that you cannot is a red herring, an excuse for those that except us as average.

Redhogs

Quote from: Bardicer on September 12, 2017, 09:03:40 pm
Last year Bielema was the 7th lowest paid coach in the conference.  Why get mad that we get mediocre results when the pay is mediocre?

That's like getting pissed that the minimum wage burger flipper didn't give you a gourmet burger.
And how did his pay rank out of all 140 football programs? I suspect in the top 20 or close..are we a top 20 team?

311Hog

Quote from: GuvHog on September 12, 2017, 05:12:55 pm
I've proven you wrong about the "hiring his mistress" crap and you still don't get it. Go ahead and keep kissing Long's backside.

you have proven nothing except that you do not think it is a problem for a head coach to do what ever the hell he wants as long as he wins football games against teams not named Alabama.

It is a fact he banged that lady, it is a fact he paid her for it, it is a fact he hired her when he shouldn't have.  Someone posted the lovely notes you should read them.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Kevin on September 13, 2017, 08:19:05 am
half empty stadium in the near future
When was the last time we had a half empty stadium at DWRRS?

Boarslab

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 13, 2017, 12:08:56 am
Evidently you don't. Some of us do.
I know some do, but some don't.  I bet some that said it did wasn't in that mindset last Saturday afternoon  though.  I don't watch and spend money to see how many we have on the honor roll.  I'm just being honest---I hope they all graduate with honors, but at the end of the day it's about winning--BB is about to find that out like many others have along the way...it's not about graduating players in this game even though they may say it is--it's about fielding a team that wins.  4 Million a year is a requirement to do just that.  Am I wrong here or looking at this someway I shouldn't?  What do you think?  I admit my moral make up may not be what others think it should be.

311Hog

Quote from: Boarslab on September 13, 2017, 09:14:16 am
I know some do, but some don't.  I bet some that said it did wasn't in that mindset last Saturday afternoon  though.  I don't watch and spend money to see how many we have on the honor roll.  I'm just being honest---I hope they all graduate with honors, but at the end of the day it's about winning--BB is about to find that out like many others have along the way...it's not about graduating players in this game even though they may say it is--it's about fielding a team that wins.  4 Million a year is a requirement to do just that.  Am I wrong here or looking at this someway I shouldn't?  What do you think?  I admit my moral make up may not be what others think it should be.

This is false equivalency.  Bret isn't winning but the program is in good standing otherwise.  The not winning and looking bad on the field is a huge problem and if it persists will be dealt with in the only way possible (his firing) will this happen next week? no but probably in a year or two sure depending on how bad.

What Petrino did is an entirely different animal.  He undermined everything about our system.  Leadership is from the top down.  If you allow the top paid University employee to do what Petrino did the rest of the system will follow suit.  As an alumni etc. i do not want that and i care very much about it.

Malvin

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 13, 2017, 09:13:22 am
When was the last time we had a half empty stadium at DWRRS?

1997 time frame I think, right before Nutt got here.  The situation before Nutt was bad, really bad.  People don't give Nutt enough credit for coming in and turning everything around.

AUSTXHOG

Quote from: Pork Twain on September 13, 2017, 01:23:48 am
Not even close to what Jeff Long said.  He basically said we would not become Ole Miss or Auburn to win.
This is exactly what he said.  He tweeted it again last night.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/jefflongUA/status/907803050856865792[/tweet]

311Hog

Quote from: Malvin on September 13, 2017, 09:27:54 am
1997 time frame I think, right before Nutt got here.  The situation before Nutt was bad, really bad.  People don't give Nutt enough credit for coming in and turning everything around.

yeah the games in Little rock during this period were even worse.  I loved Nutt and he did an amazing job turning a dumpster fire into respectability again no doubt, but then his ego was his down fall.

GuvHog

Quote from: 311Hog on September 13, 2017, 09:13:22 am
you have proven nothing except that you do not think it is a problem for a head coach to do what ever the hell he wants as long as he wins football games against teams not named Alabama.

It is a fact he banged that lady, it is a fact he paid her for it, it is a fact he hired her when he shouldn't have.  Someone posted the lovely notes you should read them.

No it is not a fact that he hired her, that is a lie. He recommended her to the hiring committee, she was interviewed by the committee, they recommended her hiring to Long who officially hired her.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

311Hog

Quote from: GuvHog on September 13, 2017, 09:41:13 am
No it is not a fact that he hired her, that is a lie. He recommended her to the hiring committee, she was interviewed by the committee, they recommended her hiring to Long who officially hired her.

holy shiet do you lie to yourself like this in the rest of your life?

HE HIRED HER.  If President Trump walked into a "committee" of underlings and WH staff and said "hey this lady is great i want her to work for me" do you or do you not think she is getting hired that day?

Only difference here is that Petrino is not the actual top dog at the school, and thus he lied about his relationship to his boss and it bit him in the ace because he was not discreet about it.

Petrino hired his mistress and paid her like a high priced call girl.  None of this is different than what Hugh Freeze has done, except Freeze had the good sense not to bring his hookers to work with him.

GuvHog

Quote from: 311Hog on September 13, 2017, 09:45:43 am
holy shiet do you lie to yourself like this in the rest of your life?

HE HIRED HER.  If President Trump walked into a "committee" of underlings and WH staff and said "hey this lady is great i want her to work for me" do you or do you not think she is getting hired that day?

Only difference here is that Petrino is not the actual top dog at the school, and thus he lied about his relationship to his boss and it bit him in the ace because he was not discreet about it.

Petrino hired his mistress and paid her like a high priced call girl.  None of this is different than what Hugh Freeze has done, except Freeze had the good sense not to bring his hookers to work with him.

No he did not hire her. That is a lie as I have shown. As for the money he gave her, that occurred at Christmastime but she wasn't hired until March of the next year. Stop embarrassing yourself.

Redhogs

Quote from: AUSTXHOG on September 13, 2017, 09:30:16 am
This is exactly what he said.  He tweeted it again last night.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/jefflongUA/status/907803050856865792[/tweet]
Gosh he did...I'm speechless. Someone needs to take his shovel away. Completely out of touch.

311Hog

Quote from: GuvHog on September 13, 2017, 09:56:51 am
No he did not hire her. That is a lie as I have shown. As for the money he gave her, that occurred at Christmastime but she wasn't hired until March of the next year. Stop embarrassing yourself.

HE GAVE HIS MISTRESS TWENTY THOUSAND DOLLARS HOW DOES IT MATTER THAT IT WAS AT CHRISTMAS TIME.

He hired her to his staff.

He hired and gifted large sums of money/payments to his MISTRESS YOU *** idiot.

who is the embarassment....

redneckfriend

Quote from: GuvHog on September 13, 2017, 09:56:51 am

I really need you to enlighten me since you seem to know so much more about this than I do. What does "he did not hire her" mean? Are you saying she was never hired or that he personally didn't hire her? Then you say she was given money at Christmas but not "hired" until March- what is the significance of that? 

GuvHog

Quote from: 311Hog on September 13, 2017, 10:00:03 am
HE GAVE HIS MISTRESS TWENTY THOUSAND DOLLARS HOW DOES IT MATTER THAT IT WAS AT CHRISTMAS TIME.

He hired her to his staff.

He hired and gifted large sums of money/payments to his MISTRESS YOU *** idiot.

who is the embarassment....

You are the embarrassment. He gave her 1 lump sum of money as a Christmas Gift 3 months before she was hired by the U of A (which was a stupid move on his part) and he did not hire her as I have shown.

PorkRinds

Quote from: GuvHog on September 13, 2017, 10:05:08 am
You are the embarrassment. He gave her 1 lump sum of money as a Christmas Gift 3 months before she was hired by the U of A (which was a stupid move on his part) and he did not hire her as I have shown.

Ok, he convinced the people in the hiring office to hire his mistress. That make you feel better about it? Same difference.

311Hog

Quote from: GuvHog on September 13, 2017, 10:05:08 am

Lets see this evidence you have that the HEAD COACH had nothing what so ever to do with her being hired to HIS STAFF, and going with him on RECRUITING trips.

This is a women he is sleeping with btw that isn't his wife.  You must not be married (after reading your posts i can see why)