Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The buyout; Jerry Jones

Started by Hogopolis, September 11, 2017, 09:03:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavtastic Voyage

Quote from: Boog41 on September 11, 2017, 09:06:55 am
It's always easy to spend someone else's money, isn't it??

Damn democrats

snoblind

Quote from: SemperFi on September 11, 2017, 12:20:13 pm
Is there a performance clause in his contract? Surely there is something in his contract that states if you suck then you will get fired with no compensation. Otherwise, who in the hell signs off on a contract that binds you regardless if the guy is a winner or a total scrub?

Well, I can think of at least one...

PigPusher

Quote from: Hogopolis on September 11, 2017, 09:03:16 am
$15.4 million is petty cash to Jerry.  He will be in his box in two weeks to watch first hand the embarrassment that is Razorback Football.   I'm hoping he has his check book on him and makes a donation to the foundation!!!  There are enough very wealthy former hogs a $15.4 million buyout should not be a problem.  Jerry, Jim Lindsey.  Maybe Tyson chicken and the Walmart family will chip in.  Bill Clinton even.   Point being, if things don't change very soon not even that buyout will save coach B's job. 

You know if they would hire quality coaches that fit SEC standards in the first place we would not be having these conversations every few years.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

bob slydell

I didn't read what he wrote that way.  I took it to mean that sometimes those other people are motivated on their own to spend that money.  At some point, the money brokers will get tired of mediocrity.  Not sure what that point may be, but there is a threshold I'm sure. 
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

popcornhog

Quote from: Hogopolis on September 11, 2017, 09:03:16 am
$15.4 million is petty cash to Jerry.  He will be in his box in two weeks to watch first hand the embarrassment that is Razorback Football.   I'm hoping he has his check book on him and makes a donation to the foundation!!!  There are enough very wealthy former hogs a $15.4 million buyout should not be a problem.  Jerry, Jim Lindsey.  Maybe Tyson chicken and the Walmart family will chip in.  Bill Clinton even.   Point being, if things don't change very soon not even that buyout will save coach B's job.

Lolcatz
WPS

OneTuskOverTheLine™

To this generation it's owed to them. Pinche communistas
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

HF#1

Quote from: RazorBassin on September 11, 2017, 09:16:50 am
15.4 million reasons Bielema will be coaching again next year and 7.9 Mil reasons he may be coaching the year after that.  I hope not, but I'm afraid we may be stuck until 2020....

We aren't stuck. While 15 mil is a lot of money, we have more seats that we have to put butts in. At the end of the day, if getting rid of Bielema means putting more butts in the seats, it will be a good investment to eat the buyout.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

lasthog

Quote from: TebowHater on September 11, 2017, 07:01:25 pm
Zero tax-payer dollars are spent on Arkansas athletics. In fact, Arkansas Athletics pays the U of A - and by extension - taxpayers.

What are you talking about?

There are a lot of uninformed folks when it comes to the tax code.

He may believe that charitable contributions are treated like they are tax credits rather than deductions. Also, when one receives goods or services in exchange for a contribution, that voids part or all of the tax benefits.

I don't know how this affects the cost of premium seating exactly, but nobody is getting a free ride.

PEtrader

Quote from: ricepig on September 11, 2017, 11:31:35 am
Jerry has his own coach's to fire, he isn't about to muddle into a firing at the UofA. The Walton's don't put their money into athletics, they are interested in their philosophical interests. John Tyson left the board early several years ago over philosophical differences, and Tyson the company isn't going to put corporate money into anything outside of advertising. Lindsey doesn't have that kind of money.

This
Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

GoHogs1091

Doubtful that he would want to spend that amount of money on a Coach at the UofA.

He is paying off on a stadium that he spent around $350 million more than he really needed to spend.  He could have built a nice stadium for around $650 million that would have had all that is only really needed for a NFL team.

ricepig

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 12, 2017, 11:53:29 pm
Doubtful that he would want to spend that amount of money on a Coach at the UofA.

He is paying off on a stadium that he spent around $350 million more than he really needed to spend.  He could have built a nice stadium for around $650 million that would have had all that is only really needed for a NFL team.

I bet you run a big company somewhere, amirite?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PigPusher on September 11, 2017, 11:38:38 pm
You know if they would hire quality coaches that fit SEC standards in the first place we would not be having these conversations every few years.

Hiring coaches is little more than a crap shoot.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

cosmodrum

It's SO Arkansas to have kabillionaires associated with us that wouldn't give a dollar to athletics. lol
Go away, batin'

GoHogs1091

Quote from: ricepig on September 13, 2017, 06:49:45 am
I bet you run a big company somewhere, amirite?

Just common business sense.  Why spend $1.2 Billion on a stadium when you can build a nice stadium for around $650 Million.

Maybe he felt he needed something spectacular to draw in attendance just in case the Cowboys were mediocre on the field.

We are seeing a parallel with the stadium in Fayetteville  =  fancy stadium to try keep Razorback fans interested despite mediocre football results on the field.

razortrack

I didn't agree to the contract extension. That should come out of Jeff Long's budget.  How much did Jerry Jonespay out to Houston Nutt?

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: razortrack on September 13, 2017, 11:43:15 pm
I didn't agree to the contract extension. That should come out of Jeff Long's budget.  How much did Jerry Jonespay out to Houston Nutt?

Wait...they didn't consult you about any of this?  Color me stunned.  ;)

It was NAILED early in the thread.  Until the situation meets critical mass and the revenue stream is suffering enough that the buyout makes sense to prevent further losses, the UA will not fire BB.  That could change if he does something stupid that warrants termination, or if there's just a complete falling off a cliff and this season and it ends up a complete dumpster fire, but even then...attendance would have to drop off dramatically.  The other factor that might tip the scales would be if there's a really good coach willing to come replace him IN ADDITION to a horrible season. 

Beyond that...we'll see him out there next year on the sideline looking as befuddled as always.   :(

I wanted him to succeed, but I've seen enough at this point.  I will say that we could look like a completely different team if the line could protect a little better, the receivers and AA get on the same page, and the defense continues to improve with the 3-4 change.  Really...it's not as dramatic as the fans are making it out to be with regard to looking at that one TCU game.  It's not like we were run out of the stadium and we're miles from being a decent team.  But..when you look at who we play, without improvement, we're cooked.   

What's frustrating is...why does it take us 2 games just to look like we've even had 3 practices all fall...seemingly EVERY season?  I get it...new defense.  Offense....same coordinator, same system.   ???

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

ricepig

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 13, 2017, 04:16:41 pm
Just common business sense.  Why spend $1.2 Billion on a stadium when you can build a nice stadium for around $650 Million.

Maybe he felt he needed something spectacular to draw in attendance just in case the Cowboys were mediocre on the field.

We are seeing a parallel with the stadium in Fayetteville  =  fancy stadium to try keep Razorback fans interested despite mediocre football results on the field.

Jerry holds more than football games in his stadium, I suspect the last thing he needs is business advice from the likes of you.

redleg

Quote from: MJ2 on September 11, 2017, 09:30:56 am
There are 3 Million Arkansans, that would only be $5 per person.    I would gladly chip in $100 - that would take care of me and 19 less privileged, angry, Hog fans.

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Augustus

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 13, 2017, 04:16:41 pm

Because if he can get the City of Arlington to raise taxes on: City sales tax, hotel occupancy tax, car rental tax... PLUS the City of Arlington to kick in an additional $325 Million (including interest) in bonds... to help fund his stadium? ? ?

THAT is common business sense. THAT is why he is a Billionaire. Make everyone else in the city and traveling to the city pay for what he doesn't want to...

And, as mentioned above, it's not "just a football stadium". It has hosted (in many instances): Concerts from the biggest names in music history, Wrestlemania, Soccer, Tennis, Basketball (NBA & NCAA), Boxing matches, Supercross, Monster Truck shows, ...even Bowling..., Religious Assemblies, IT and other industry business conferences.  And, of course, the funeral of one Chris Kyle.

The Data Center alone at Jerry's World, rivals that of some Fortune 500 Companies. They built out a record setting network infrastructure to support 100K+ mobile users (and the record setting Video/Audio), at any one point in time.  And I know, because I work in a Fortune 500 data center and I've seen the one at Jerry's World.

You, like everyone else trying to talk about what Jerry could do with his money, have no idea what you're talking about.  The rest of us are smart enough to acknowledge we don't know what we're talking about.