Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Something you all need to realize

Started by COACHINTEXAS, September 09, 2017, 07:59:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

COACHINTEXAS

Good guys make horrible coaches!!! It's just a fact. Trying to be friends with players is not the answer! I would take an a-hole any day that wins and has a fire in his belly than one that wants players to be friends. It's not a good recipe for success, especially in sports. Petrino may be a jerk, but I would take that #5 ranking any day!  Just something to think about.
No one plans to fail, they fail to plan!!!!

Hawgphat

I refuse to accept the contention that  - in order to be really successful - a coach has to be an a**hole, and that a**holes make the best coaches.

The dude who makes his living slaughtering beef cattle all day long doesn't necessarily cook the most succulent steak.

COACHINTEXAS

Tell me one then!!! It's just the truth. Players lose respect for that type of coach! Players want to be pushed to be the best and the best at doing that knows what buttons to push while the Mr nice guy is worried if he hurts someone feelings.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: COACHINTEXAS on September 09, 2017, 08:08:24 pm
Tell me one then!!! It's just the truth. Players lose respect for that type of coach! Players want to be pushed to be the best and the best at doing that knows what buttons to push while the Mr nice guy is worried if he hurts someone feelings.

John Wooden
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

Steef

Smashmouth2004

You don't have to be an ass but you do need to get on someone's ass so they remember! This team is too soft but I also think the coaching staff can't think outside the box. They played today like we never played a TCU last year or even watched film. The mistakes we made last year were repeated today.

Porkette

What about Dabo Sweeney? That guy has always come across to me as a nice guy/players' coach/ goofball on TV, and not always in a good way. Proved me wrong when he won a championship! Complete opposite personality from a Saban.

And I guess Pete Carroll, but he also cheated.
GO HOGS GO!

dandd TD

I hate to say it but Bielema is not what we need to win ball games. Bobby P should've stayed off his bike but that's the type of coach we need. Today was embarrassing!

ArkansasI

Bobby Bowden.

Eddie Robinson.

Barry Switzer.

Mike Gundy.

Pete Carroll.

Joe Paterno.

etc. etc. etc.

ZERO

You're all forgetting the greatest good guy coach possibly of all time: Coach Bill Snyder.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

thebignasty

Quote from: ArkansasI on September 09, 2017, 08:22:12 pm
Bobby Bowden.

Eddie Robinson.

Barry Switzer.

Mike Gundy.

Pete Carroll.

Joe Paterno.

etc. etc. etc.

Don't think a dude that ignored child rape because it would hurt football belongs on the 'good dude ' list.

HawgnCorona

I counted about 10, is that enough?
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

JaketheSnake

How did CBB take Wiscy to back-to-back BCS games and then, as of now, flop at Arkansas.  The two programs should be similar to recruit to, UOfA is closer to better recruiting, not cold as balls, etc.

jswineberiaskirk

Quote from: COACHINTEXAS on September 09, 2017, 07:59:29 pm
Good guys make horrible coaches!!! It's just a fact. Trying to be friends with players is not the answer! I would take an a-hole any day that wins and has a fire in his belly than one that wants players to be friends. It's not a good recipe for success, especially in sports. Petrino may be a jerk, but I would take that #5 ranking any day!  Just something to think about.

#5 seems like a dream don't it? Yet so many here act like it never happened or was a rarity. growing up in the 60's and 70's and then the success of Hatfield it wasn't. the years we were out of the Top 20 were the rarity. God help me even Nutt had us ranked some of the time.

jswineberiaskirk

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 09, 2017, 08:29:06 pm
How did CBB take Wiscy to back-to-back BCS games and then, as of now, flop at Arkansas.  The two programs should be similar to recruit to, UOfA is closer to better recruiting, not cold as balls, etc.

THE OSU was on probation if I recall.

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: ZERO on September 09, 2017, 08:24:19 pm
You're all forgetting the greatest good guy coach possibly of all time: Coach Bill Snyder.

Everyone would wanna play hard for their grandpa.

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: jswineberiaskirk on September 09, 2017, 08:32:30 pm
THE OSU was on probation if I recall.

That's not Bielema's fault, though. Bielema did win big at Wisconsin, no doubt.

hawgon

All of those "nice guys" mentioned in this thread were/are demanding, detail oriented, strict task masters.  A guy doesn't have to be raging maniac, but he has to be somewhat stern, maintain a certain distance, and above all, set the example.

COACHINTEXAS

Apparently you didn't see some of them chew some ass times like I have. More than half of those you listed have had stories told about how hard they were on players. So I call BS!

HardCore

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

hamARchy in the USA

His bosses, the ADs of the two programs, are not similar.

JaketheSnake

CBB may not be screaming atguys on the field, but the team knows he means business.  He's not afraid to keep stars on the bench if they are not doing things correctly.  Most on the board probably don't believe it, but he wants to win worse than we do.  It's his life all day every day.  We get to live in it at times, then forget about it for months.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on September 09, 2017, 08:44:03 pm
His bosses, the ADs of the two programs, are not similar.
It was not Alvarez that got CBB to those Rose bowls any more than it was Frank Broyles that was holding Nutt back. 

HiggiePiggy

Where does Wisconsin rank in the Big 10 in recruiting?  Arkansas ranks between 8 and 12 and in the west conference  they are 5th to 6th almost every year. 

That is the big difference.  Also Wisconsin is in the opposite division of Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State, and Penn State.  So we face the best part of the west and they face the weak side of their conference. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

TechHawg

I actually had this thought a few weeks ago when Bielema said in a press conference that he said to a player in practice "Really, bro? Blah blah..." But I remember the "Really bro" part and I thought at the time, you would never hear Sabah or Meyer or any great coach call a player "bro." That indicates you're their equal, their buddy. And the team played today like a team being coached by their bro.

PorkRinds

Dabo Swinney

ZERO

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on September 09, 2017, 08:33:11 pm
Everyone would wanna play hard for their grandpa.

I like to think Bill Snyder was born as a kindly old man with a vintage headset in mint condition because it's never been thrown.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

BOAR_N2BWILD

Quote from: ArkansasI on September 09, 2017, 08:22:12 pm
Bobby Bowden.

Eddie Robinson.

Barry Switzer.

Mike Gundy.

Pete Carroll.

Joe Paterno.

etc. etc. etc.

Joe Paterno? A good guy? I guess if you call turning a blind eye to child rape for 20 years a good guy....well, then he is about as good as it gets.
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

j-mann

the big ten has no speed ex at ohio st mich  and penn st    the other 11 ex maybe maryland  are as slow as us   

here the sad thing  if arkansas was in the big ten west  this year team wouild be 9-3   
calling the hogs from Jonesboro    i have  cerebral  palsy  Rheumatoid arthritis   and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome   i cannot space  well  or spell well   but i still  love the hogs

JaketheSnake

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on September 09, 2017, 08:53:10 pm
Where does Wisconsin rank in the Big 10 in recruiting?  Arkansas ranks between 8 and 12 and in the west conference  they are 5th to 6th almost every year. 

That is the big difference.  Also Wisconsin is in the opposite division of Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State, and Penn State.  So we face the best part of the west and they face the weak side of their conference. 
He still went to back to back Bcs games.  Doesn't matter which division you are in there.

There has to be a better coach in that body somewhere! 

JaketheSnake

Quote from: j-mann on September 09, 2017, 09:59:15 pm
the big ten has no speed ex at ohio st mich  and penn st    the other 11 ex maybe maryland  are as slow as us   

here the sad thing  if arkansas was in the big ten west  this year team wouild be 9-3   
That I do believe has been his learning curve.  Every team in the SEC has big, mean, uglies up front.  Speed kills and CBB wasn't used to recruiting speed.  Has grabbed more speed, but clearly still not enough.

ZERO

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 09, 2017, 10:02:32 pm
That I do believe has been his learning curve.  Every team in the SEC has big, mean, uglies up front.  Speed kills and CBB wasn't used to recruiting speed.  Has grabbed more speed, but clearly still not enough.

We've lost to enough bad and mediocre teams both in and outside of the SEC during BB's tenure that I really don't care for this explanation. Also, what part of Herb's fitness regime screams speed to you? The only fitness Herb seems to be concerned with is fitness pasta into the o-line's mouths.

hogfanmd

Quote from: COACHINTEXAS on September 09, 2017, 07:59:29 pm

It's the short angry people with an obtuse personality and  a Napolean complex that seem to be people who survive and thrive in college football
Used to love seeing Lou grab some tall guys face mask and yank down to his level when yelling

Russ22

For the latest Arkansas High School 7-on-7 football news:

http://7on7football.blogspot.com/

hoghevn

Quote from: ZERO on September 09, 2017, 08:24:19 pm
Listen, I have a close friend who PLAYED for Snyder.  He does not call players by name,  he calls them by number, on & off the field.  He's a disciplinarian; detailed oriented and doesn't put up with crap.  He certainly doesn't call anyone "Bro".  If he sees a player on or off campus he addresses them by their number; "14, how you doing".  There's no camaraderie or 'brotherhood', there's the coach and his players who are numbers.
Einstein - "The difference between genius and stupdity; genius has limits."

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 09, 2017, 08:45:55 pm
It was not Alvarez that got CBB to those Rose bowls any more than it was Frank Broyles that was holding Nutt back. 

Individuals are inspired, or not, by their leaders.    Consider if Nutt had been under Jeff Long.

potus

I can remember when Holtz grabbed Leotus Harris by the face mask during fall camp. Made an all American out of him

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on September 09, 2017, 10:21:41 pm
Individuals are inspired, or not, by their leaders.    Consider if Nutt had been under Jeff Long.

Juding by Bielema's buyout, those golden handcuffs would have been a lot larger.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Coondog Hog

Where are they now though employed but???
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..