• 381,281 Topics
• 21,261 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gus Malzahn  (Read 4660 times)

j-mann

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Gus Malzahn
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2017, 11:13:30 pm »

No.  Good lord no.

other than kubiak  is a AM alum   

what the beef    he won a super bowl  with a awful off   its easier to find his type of lineman in collage    he likes 3 stars qb's   he had a top 10 offence  every year ex his last two     and that was because the NFL game passed him by

mckinneyhog5

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2017, 11:16:15 pm »

If Saban switched with BB and came to Akansas and BB went to Bama, do fans think we'd become National champs? Do people honestly think that's all you need to do is hire a coach?

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Surfing8

• Hogvillian
  • Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2017, 11:20:28 pm »

If Saban switched with BB and came to Akansas and BB went to Bama, do fans think we'd become National champs? Do people honestly think that's all you need to do is hire a coach?

Possibly not.
But we wouldn't be embarrassed by TCU playing at home.

Do people honestly think all Bielema needs is more time?

mckinneyhog5

« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2017, 11:24:24 pm »

Possibly not.

Do you think he should get the rest of the year at a minimum?

Surfing8

• Hogvillian
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2017, 11:27:27 pm »

Do you think he should get the rest of the year at a minimum?

Do I?  No, I don't.

But my prejudice was in place prior to this season... since nothing happened in the off-season I was like every other hog fan hoping for better this time around.

It's going the wrong direction, and I see no indication whatsoever that with Bielema we'll ever contend for anything meaningful... forget  'National Champs'.

He's a loser.

mckinneyhog5

« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2017, 11:29:15 pm »

Do I?  No, I don't.

But my prejudice was in place prior to this season... since nothing happened in the off-season I was like every other hog fan hoping for better this time around.

It's going the wrong direction, and I see no indication whatsoever that with Bielema we'll ever contend for anything meaningful... forget  'National Champs'.

He's a loser.
So, be irrational and fire him tomorrow...who you gonna hire?

Surfing8

• Hogvillian
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2017, 11:34:05 pm »

So, be irrational and fire him tomorrow...who you gonna hire?

You don't hire anyone right now.
You promote an interim.

Irrational is thinking giving Bielema another year is going to change anything.

Apathetic is giving Bielema another year and knowing this is what you're gonna get.

mckinneyhog5

« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2017, 11:38:21 pm »

You promote an interim.

Apathetic is giving Bielema another year and knowing this is what you're gonna get.
And what message does that send to the team? And yes it's irrational to not wait till the end of the year. Are you scared he might win enough to keep his job?

Surfing8

• Hogvillian
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2017, 11:46:12 pm »

And what message does that send to the team? And yes it's irrational to not wait till the end of the year. Are you scared he might win enough to keep his job?

What message does it send the team?  Really?  Let me help you -
"We are making a coaching change based on the lack of performance and productivity across the board with our football program."

Are you scared you might hurt their feelings?

As for winning enough to keep his job, that will probably happen anyway, since our AD hasn't exhibited any interest in competing beyond a minimum level required to ensure profitability... particularly when it doesn't advance his own personal interests.

Pancetta

• Senior
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2017, 12:10:20 am »

No way they fire him in the season for performance. They are going to have to pay him regardless so might as well make him work. I figure he will win 6 games  and JL will have cover to keep him another year so JL doesn't have to answer for his stupid one sided contract.

gchamblee

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2017, 01:57:23 am »

It's time to make amends.

You felt so strongly about it that you made a new account so nobody would see you say it on your main account lol.

gchamblee

« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2017, 02:06:45 am »

You guys that think CBB is hard to get rid of, it is nothing compared to letting Gus get his tentacles into this program.

Josh Goforth

• Senior
« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2017, 02:07:19 am »

Is getting his brains stomped in tonight, no way
14-6 is a brain stomping?

jvanhorn

• Senior
« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2017, 02:18:31 am »

I would take OU's coach and Athletic Director right now.  Although I can't think of a single reason they would want to come here.  Let's face it the only real program we have here of any long lasting quality if Van Horn and the baseball Razorbacks--and he doesn't really get the praise or the fan support he should.  Now that may change in a few years with the men's and women's basketball program.  Doesn't take many players to fix that, but I don't see Razorback football ever being anything but decent to very good once in awhile which is good enough to do their real job which is to be a money machine and to keep most fans, who aren't old enough to remember the old SWC days, happy enough.  They have never known consistently good teams, yet they still feel up the stadium.  If anything Razorback fans are just like the old Cub fans for 60 or 70 years.  Throw something out there.  We will show up.

East Clintwood

« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2017, 02:23:51 am »

No, no, no . . .

Two people that shouldn't even be allowed into the state, much less anywhere near the UofA --- Houston Nutt and Gus Malzahn.

soooieman

• Senior
  • With Love From DFDUB
« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2017, 06:28:34 am »

Sooo he plays the same conf schedule now that he would at Arkansas. Wait, it would be harder at Arkansas since he's playing Auburn PLUS HE HAS TOP 10 CLASSES AT AUBURN NOW AND ONLY WINS 8 ON AVG. explain to me how he would average more wins at Arkansas with less talent than he has now??? I have not met a Gus fan yet that could answer that.

Hog N Bama

• BELIEVE
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2017, 06:38:12 am »

With the preseason All SEC QB
Will the Stidham love end now?

The real Hogules

• My Hogs are bad ass!
« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2017, 06:43:07 am »

I have a fear of MANY things, but CBB winning enough games this season to justify his being retained as our head coach is definitely NOT one of them! I too wanted this to work, but in year 5 this is a dumpster fire! If MUCH improvement is not made in the next few weeks on the offensive side of the football, we can expect several more lopsided losses . And giving CBB and company another year will help nothing, because next year we'll hear the "we're breaking in a new QB" excuse. It's always "just wait until next year", or "just wait until (pick your favorite excuse)", but next year NEVER arrives and the money just keeps pouring into the UofA.......................

HoggieStyle

« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2017, 07:52:50 am »

No.

HotlantaHog

« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2017, 08:07:27 pm »

The only way Gus Malzahn would come to Arkansas is if he got fired at Auburn.
Or felt it was likely that he was on the verge of getting fired? Or maybe his buyout would require him to actually get canned...

Michael_E_Davis

• Varsity
  • I find all of this peculiar.
« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2017, 08:15:39 pm »

It's funny, because if you go to the Auburn board,  they are currently wanting to get rid of Gus.  They are talking about his buy out, and already coming up with lists of coaches to replace him -  and that is after holding the defending national champions to only 14 points, and only losing by a touchdown.  Seems ridiculous to me.

KlubhouseKonnected

• OOOOhh, GOOD FOR YOU!
« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2017, 08:24:16 pm »

I'd rather not thanks. He'd do no better.

Fan1958

• Senior
  • The Little Red Hen was obviously a conservative.
« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2017, 09:01:56 pm »

Why would Gus want to coach at Arkansas? He would face the same schedule he does now, with the exception of UGA every year, plus he would have to play Auburn.  So he would swap UGA for Missouri and Arkansas for Auburn.

ChitownHawg

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Head Hog coaching from above now.
« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2017, 09:08:44 pm »

Possibly not.

This is why Saban is Saban. I like CBB, but I have not seen this in him and if he doesn't get it soon he will find himself in the outhouse Saban speaks of.

"Slowly but surely Saban's blood began to boil. Four national titles, 111 victories and a dynasty in living color are not enough to soothe Saban or give him the license to rest on his laurels in his tenth season in Tuscaloosa. 

"Probably like all coaches, when you say 'Do you take any satisfaction?' I don't take any satisfaction in anything we've done here, because I'm just worried about winning this game," Saban said. "It's a slippery hill from the penthouse to the outhouse when you're in this business. So you don't take satisfaction. That's what causes lapses in games.

"You take satisfaction when the score is 42-17, and then you go out and get your ass kicked in the next series. So you can't take satisfaction. You have to keep on grinding. That's what competitive people do and that's what competitors do and certainly what you have to do in this game."
"

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2016/10/nick_saban_i_dont_take_any_sat.html

Ben

• Senior
« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2017, 09:31:29 pm »

Nah. We don't want to be  in national title talks like 2006 when he was here.

reddogjcss

« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2017, 09:55:29 pm »

I'm so ready for Coach B to go I'm willing to try anyone.

JOKERHOG

• Varsity
« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2017, 10:02:15 pm »

Doing it know would show school pride and commitment to winning

tusked

• Clapton is god....but SRV was the big bang!
« Reply #77 on: September 10, 2017, 10:13:17 pm »

This is why Saban is Saban. I like CBB, but I have not seen this in him and if he doesn't get it soon he will find himself in the outhouse Saban speaks of.

"Slowly but surely Saban's blood began to boil. Four national titles, 111 victories and a dynasty in living color are not enough to soothe Saban or give him the license to rest on his laurels in his tenth season in Tuscaloosa. 

"Probably like all coaches, when you say 'Do you take any satisfaction?' I don't take any satisfaction in anything we've done here, because I'm just worried about winning this game," Saban said. "It's a slippery hill from the penthouse to the outhouse when you're in this business. So you don't take satisfaction. That's what causes lapses in games.

"You take satisfaction when the score is 42-17, and then you go out and get your ass kicked in the next series. So you can't take satisfaction. You have to keep on grinding. That's what competitive people do and that's what competitors do and certainly what you have to do in this game."
"

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2016/10/nick_saban_i_dont_take_any_sat.html

That's what most ALL successful people in life say.

« Reply #78 on: September 10, 2017, 10:33:33 pm »

I would take Malzahn as HC.  I would ask BB to just stay home the rest of this season and don't come to work.   I would continue to pay him his salary.  I would make Enos associate HC for the rest of the season.  Would I worry that I would embarrass BB.  No, he doesn't care that he embarrasses us. 

soooieman

• Senior
  • With Love From DFDUB
« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2017, 03:59:04 am »

Why would Gus want to coach at Arkansas? He would face the same schedule he does now, with the exception of UGA every year, plus he would have to play Auburn.  So he would swap UGA for Missouri and Arkansas for Auburn.
Exactly what I said. Harder schedule with less talent.  Notice how Gus huggers can't answer that

riccoar

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Serving Hogville since 11-08-03
« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2017, 07:14:15 am »

Exactly what I said. Harder schedule with less talent.  Notice how Gus huggers can't answer that
Look, I could care less whether Gus winds up here or not.  But let's be realist, the guy can coach and that's just a fact.  He can also recruit.  The only schools that Bielema has out recruited are the schools that we should never lose to.

Our recruiting ranking in the SEC

2018:  12th
2017:  10th
2016:  9th
2015:  11th
2014:  11th

And your going to tell me a guy who constantly ranks 5th or 6th in SEC recruiting couldn't do better than that?  We are paying Auburn, LSU, and Florida type coaching salary and getting Kentucky and Missouri results.

Athog

• Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2017, 07:22:10 am »

The only way Gus Malzahn would come to Arkansas is if he got fired at Auburn.

Which may happen!!

GO

• Senior
  • Can't beat the blues
« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2017, 07:32:49 am »

NONONONONO

Polecat

• Hogvillian
  • WPS!
« Reply #83 on: September 11, 2017, 07:55:06 am »

Gus needs an elite dual threat QB for his offense those don't come around often.

Gerry Bohanon?

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Is there a problem here?
« Reply #84 on: September 11, 2017, 08:16:56 am »

It is so funny how some of you act like there are only 2 football coaches in America. Whenever the subject comes up they are the only names you go to. Gus can't even win at Auburn, but supposedly he will come here and win titles.

jcharkansas

• Senior
« Reply #85 on: September 11, 2017, 08:45:49 am »

i would rather go 0-11 for 10 straight years than ever see Gag Malzhan on the Arkansas sidelines ever again.
You may get your wish if CBB stays around

Granny fan

• Senior
  • "Jethro says smog is a small hog."
« Reply #86 on: September 11, 2017, 08:55:40 am »

I'm so tired of seeing this name on Hogville!!  That ship has sailed!!

soooieman

• Senior
  • With Love From DFDUB
« Reply #87 on: September 11, 2017, 09:33:55 am »

Look, I could care less whether Gus winds up here or not.  But let's be realist, the guy can coach and that's just a fact.  He can also recruit.  The only schools that Bielema has out recruited are the schools that we should never lose to.

Our recruiting ranking in the SEC

2018:  12th
2017:  10th
2016:  9th
2015:  11th
2014:  11th

And your going to tell me a guy who constantly ranks 5th or 6th in SEC recruiting couldn't do better than that?  We are paying Auburn, LSU, and Florida type coaching salary and getting Kentucky and Missouri results.
That's the whole point!! He Has NOT done better than that at Auburn with top 5 classes. They want him fired. Still waiting on an answer to my original question. They question is now 17-0 against Gus Lovers. It can't be answered. 

riccoar

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Serving Hogville since 11-08-03
« Reply #88 on: September 11, 2017, 09:41:36 am »

That's the whole point!! He Has NOT done better than that at Auburn with top 5 classes. They want him fired. Still waiting on an answer to my original question. They question is now 17-0 against Gus Lovers. It can't be answered. 
I have no idea how he went to the NCG in 2013.

Großer Kriegschwein

• TF Mountain Warrior '09-'10
« Reply #89 on: September 11, 2017, 10:21:54 am »

You promote an interim.

Wait until the last game of the year, and remove him from his position until January 1st.

Start looking after bowl season is over.

redneckfriend

• Varsity
« Reply #90 on: September 11, 2017, 01:32:54 pm »

Sorry but watching the Clemson game all I could think was "this 'offensive genius' is in this game because he has a top 10 defense". The offensive execution was terrible and I certainly didn't see anything that might be mistaken for great play calling. Malzahn is successful at Auburn because he has access to some of the best football athletes in the country and defense is where the ability to recruit fast powerful players really pays off. He would not have access to those players at Arkansas and after a few years of 7-5 or 6-6 fans would be screaming for his scalp too.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Official Jeff Long Darksider!
« Reply #91 on: September 11, 2017, 01:42:06 pm »

At Clemson? Yep. Holding the defending NC to 14 in their own house. Bet Gus puts more than 6 up on this squad. Could probably put up more than the 56 he did last year.

Clemson is not the same team they were last year. They lost an abundance of players off of last years team and are just a shell of what they were so let's not get carried away.

swinetologist1

• Senior
« Reply #92 on: September 11, 2017, 02:22:29 pm »

I don't know Gus' specific record while at Auburn but i know he has had elite talent the entire time so not sure he is all that different from Les Miles.

dc10x5555

• Walk-On
« Reply #93 on: September 11, 2017, 02:35:39 pm »

start the bus.  it couldn't get any better.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Is there a problem here?
« Reply #94 on: September 11, 2017, 03:17:37 pm »

I don't know Gus' specific record while at Auburn but i know he has had elite talent the entire time so not sure he is all that different from Les Miles.

EXCEPT at QB. He has only had his type of QB twice, and both times they went to the NC game. He does not have one this year either.

He has to have a tough fast QB that can handle running the ball 20 times a game, often right up the middle. 

GunnerHawg70

• Senior
  • IT'S GOOD TO BE A HAWG!!!
    • http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?PHPSESSID=fb3784349caf1a79fb2977d8b9b64461&action=dlattach;attach=101650;type=avatar
« Reply #95 on: September 11, 2017, 03:53:28 pm »

I would take OU's coach and Athletic Director right now.  Although I can't think of a single reason they would want to come here.  Let's face it the only real program we have here of any long lasting quality if Van Horn and the baseball Razorbacks--and he doesn't really get the praise or the fan support he should.  Now that may change in a few years with the men's and women's basketball program.  Doesn't take many players to fix that, but I don't see Razorback football ever being anything but decent to very good once in awhile which is good enough to do their real job which is to be a money machine and to keep most fans, who aren't old enough to remember the old SWC days, happy enough.  They have never known consistently good teams, yet they still feel up the stadium.  If anything Razorback fans are just like the old Cub fans for 60 or 70 years.  Throw something out there.  We will show up.

Whelp the truth is on the table.  The relevant squads belong baseball and track & field.  Basketball (M) had it's glory days and like mentioned above doesn't take much to turnaround. Sign 4 Ballers that can dominate, add a good 1 and starting five with 6 role players on the bench and you got a chance!!!  Razorback football has never been a year in - year out "we're making a run for the SECCG and CFPNCG this year!!!"...I know we all want those results sooner than later but I think jvanhorn kinda hit a homerun with this one...makes ya think and wonder why can't we be that SECCG contender every year?!?! 

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Official Jeff Long Darksider!
« Reply #96 on: September 11, 2017, 04:02:13 pm »

Some of you guys are just being idiots with stuff like this.
Gus is better than Nutt, Bielema, and anyone coaching in the Sun Belt. Say what you want, but the guys been to the pinnacle twice.

Sorry, Gus had blood on his hands too when he left here after the 2006 season and it isn't going to wash off.

joeyself

• Hogvillian
« Reply #97 on: September 11, 2017, 04:49:42 pm »

My signature here tells what I thought then.

I've not changed my mind.  In order for Arkansas to be competitive, we need to have an imaginative offense.  We need to out-think the other guy; lining up and smashing them in the mouth to impose our will on them isn't a recipe for success for us until we can win the recruiting wars. 

JcS
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas