Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lets be honest. Houston Nutt was a better coach than Bielema

Started by Ben, September 09, 2017, 06:09:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben

Had a better defense, recruited better, beat Saban twice, knocked off a couple top 5-10 teams, overall had better talent. Sure he underachieved, but at least he could reach 9 wins.
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

Lanny

"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

McKdaddy

Nutt was a better coach. But my irrational hate for him is still too strong to take him over Bielema.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

idochog

Not really. He inherited his players & sec was way down when he was here

Check your stats. Nuttz was about .500 in the sec
I love Jesus!

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: Ben on September 09, 2017, 06:09:04 pm
Had a better defense, recruited better, beat Saban twice, knocked off a couple top 5-10 teams, overall had better talent. Sure he underachieved, but at least he could reach 9 wins.

You've had too much to drink. Please don't drive.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

popcornhog

Quote from: Lanny on September 09, 2017, 06:09:29 pm
I'll take Bielema

Hating Nutt is easy. I think most of us would take BB over Nutt, but Nutt was a better coach than Bielema.
WPS

Hoggie17

Quote from: idochog on September 09, 2017, 06:10:53 pm

BB is below .500 in SEC play.

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: popcornhog on September 09, 2017, 06:11:47 pm
Hating Nutt is easy. I think most of us would take BB over Nutt, but Nutt was a better coach than Bielema.

Bielema won the head to head match up.

Knee-jerk hating BB right now is easy.  Nutt had so many worse moments than this, particularly non-game situations.  You don't have proper perspective.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

popcornhog

Exactly. .500 > .312

Bielema isn't even .500 overall at Arkansas, including OOC games.
WPS

Razor1997

.500 in the sec sounds really good right now

seasonhog

Quote from: Lanny on September 09, 2017, 06:09:29 pm
I'll take Bielema

You may take Bielema....but Nutt was a better coach.......Bielema can't coach....or he choses not to.

The Boar War

Better coach is debatable.  No doubt he had better teams.

rzrbackramsfan

I wasn't a razorback for the nutt days, but did he continually have losses to teams that were not as good a program as us on paper? Toledo, tech, tcu, Rutgers, Missouri, VT, etc...?  I'm sure he lost his share but Bielema loses them more often than not.

HawgnCorona

Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

jst01

Quote from: Hoggie17 on September 09, 2017, 06:13:14 pm
BB is below .500 in SEC play.

Way below. Even excluding year 1 like every Biele-ver wants to do.

Hoggiedawg

Quote from: popcornhog on September 09, 2017, 06:14:43 pm
Exactly. .500 > .312

Bielema isn't even .500 overall at Arkansas, including OOC games.

I need to adjust my CBB name to Nutt 0.6

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on September 09, 2017, 06:14:01 pm
Knee-jerk hating BB right now is easy.  Nutt had so many worse moments than this, particularly non-game situations.  You don't have proper perspective.

Nutt was here for 10 years, guarantee you BB would have just as many "moments" if he were here that long.

Off the field no, but on the field embarrassing losses absolutely.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

upperdeck_hawg

Comparing records is not apples to apples. SEC West was nowhere as tough back then.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

popcornhog

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on September 09, 2017, 06:14:01 pm

You may misunderstand me. I 100% agree with your statement.

Just saying Nutt was better at coaching than Bielema when you compare their Arkansas tenures.

Nutt could've/should've accomplished way more here than he did though -- and I don't even want to think about the non football stuff.

I'll take Bielema over Nutt any day if the week, despite Nutt being the better coach.
WPS

TebowHater

This is fact.

Hoggiedawg

Quote from: jst01 on September 09, 2017, 06:15:52 pm
Way below. Even excluding year 1 like every Biele-ver wants to do.

His first year is his fault.  He even admitted it when he said how he came in and completely changed everything to his mode of play.  Of course BP recruits weren't going to play B10 football right off the bat.

The Boar War

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on September 09, 2017, 06:13:47 pm
Bielema won the head to head match up.

I think it's becoming clear that Brett wasn't the mastermind behind what went on at Wisconsin

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Razor1997 on September 09, 2017, 06:14:58 pm
.500 in the sec sounds really good right now
not gonna happen this year, nor the next year nor the year after that....our recruiting has gotten progressively worse since Bielema's first class and you could see the results quite clearly today....we don't have enough talent at any position except center....Ragnow is a man
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

texhog22

I agree. I still agree Nutt was a better coach. And Nutt sucked. Beleima has no passion at all

Quote from: popcornhog on September 09, 2017, 06:17:35 pm
You may misunderstand me. I 100% agree with your statement.

Just saying Nutt was better at coaching than Bielema when you compare their Arkansas tenures.

Nutt could've/should've accomplished way more here than he did though -- and I don't even want to think about the non football stuff.

I'll take Bielema over Nutt any day if the week, despite Nutt being the better coach.

Gotcha.  My apologies bro, after I re-read your 1st quote(which I quoted) I got it.  That route our WR ran on the construction tarp and our kicker still have my head spinning.

Carry on!

popcornhog

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on September 09, 2017, 06:17:17 pm
Comparing records is not apples to apples. SEC West was nowhere as tough back then.

Sort of. The SEC was in the beginning of it's most dominant period at the end of Nutt's tenure and it was at the end of its most dominant stretch at the beginning of Bielema's tenure. But yeah, overall stronger on average during Bielema's years.

But Bielema is .312 in conference. That's cellar dweller stuff.
WPS

Hollywood870

I said it last week.

SemperFi

Quote from: McKdaddy on September 09, 2017, 06:10:29 pm
Nutt was a better coach. But my irrational hate for him is still too strong to take him over Bielema.

^^THIS^^
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

Ben

In his first 4 years, Nutt has more wins, more Top 25 wins, and more final AP finishes than Bielema. He won 9 games in his 5th season, including making the SEC title game.  How is Bielema a better coach again so far?
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.

Ben

What is Nutt doing now?

A lot of coaches had a streak of luck at one program.

So, what is he up to now?  Filing lawsuits that get dropped?

BigHog396

I absolutely despised Nutt for his last 7 years, but he was a DRASTICALLY better coach than Bielema.  Hell, his SEC record was nearly twice as good as Brett's has been, and Nutt was coming off of back-to-back 4-7 seasons before he arrived.  Let's not act like Bielema's situation was much, if any, worse than what Nutt's was.

Bielema has proven he was all smoke-and-mirrors.  Hell, he came in touted as this great OL coach, and OL recruiter, but we are in year 5, and he is starting a walk-on true FR, a walk-on true Soph, and a converted DL on his OL.

If that alone doesn't not show everyone that this guy is a complete joke as a head coach, I don't know what will.

Marshfieldhog

They both are a joke. Nutt lucked out with Danny Ford's players, McFadden, and Matt Jones. He caught lightening in a bottle I guess.

wupigsuey

A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

Letsroll1200

BroyledNutts

While we're being honest, let's be honest about a couple other things ...

The SEC during Nutt's tenure was nowhere close to what it is today...
Then as now, recruiting classes still matter more than scheme or game plan...
Arkansas under Houston Nutt today would yield the same results as Brett Bielema today...
Arkansas is what they've always been...a team of average, to slightly above average talent capable of 6-8 wins in a given year, with the occasional uptick in talent that yields a couple more wins, along with the occasional down turn that yields a couple more losses per year.

These are not slights against the program, by the way - they're realities that we either accept or refute. It doesn't matter who the university hires to coach Arkansas Football - talent will always dictate results and records...and the few coaches that have a track record of bringing high level talent to a football program already have jobs they like...also, we as fans should understand that even those coaches might not be able to recruit high level talent to come to Arkansas.

Atlhogfan1

No he wasn't stupid thread starter.

BB isn't good enough though.   
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

VictoryRedChevy

RebHog

Not sure Nutt is/was a better coach but atleast he was a good cheerleader on the sidelines instead of this guy we have now standing still with dumba$$ look on his face staring off into the distance.  I wonder if he is thinking of donuts in these moments?

Ben

Nutt had his own players in 2006 and 2007 and knocked of the #1 and #2 teams ON THE ROAD in that time span, while having Arkansas's only Heisman hopeful and being in the national title run.

geauxhawgs

Spot on

DeltaBoy

All who wanted Bobby Fired how do you like it now!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Ben

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on September 09, 2017, 06:31:33 pm
No he wasn't stupid thread starter.

In his first 4 years, Nutt has more wins, more Top 25 wins, and more final AP finishes than Bielema. He won 9 games in his 5th season, including making the SEC title game.

Give me something that Bielema has done to make me believe he is better...

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: RebHog on September 09, 2017, 06:32:05 pm
Not sure Nutt is/was a better coach but atleast he was a good cheerleader on the sidelines instead of this guy we have now standing still with dumba$$ look on his face staring off into the distance.  I wonder if he is thinking of donuts in these moments?

Hahaha.

Hog-Corleone

Quote from: McKdaddy on September 09, 2017, 06:10:29 pm

His participation in the utter destruction of Ole Miss has alleviated some of my disdain.  I think he still loves this helmet...
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

daprospecta

Quote from: Ben on September 09, 2017, 06:32:36 pm
Nutt had his own players in 2006 and 2007 and knocked of the #1 and #2 teams ON THE ROAD in that time span, while having Arkansas's only Heisman hopeful and being in the national title run.

Hoggie17