Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brad Nessler makes his CBS debut tomorrow

Started by Kevin, September 08, 2017, 09:33:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

CFB_Fanatic

I love Nessler.

Still, say whatever you want, but college football won't be the same without hearing the voice of Verne Lundquist.

hogsrule44

Most people don't agree, but it will not be the same without Uncle Verne on the call for Saturday afternoon games on CBS.

tolerati

Quote from: CFB_Fanatic on September 08, 2017, 09:39:04 am
I love Nessler.

Still, say whatever you want, but college football won't be the same without hearing the voice of Verne Lundquist.

I think we will survive.
"Show me a quarterback who isn't cocky, and I'll show you a quarterback who isn't worth a damn." - Darrell Royal

razorbackfan86

Love Nessler and look forward to hearing his call.

The NewEra

I'm not sure I can survive an entire game without hearing Wow, Gee Whiz, Oh My about 100 times, but I'll try my best.

GunnerHawg70

I love Nessler.

I'm good with not hearing Verne call us the wrong team or mess up names of Hog players...I think last season he called Arkansas Alabama...With today's advanced scientific technology why not make a clone of Keith Jackson?!?!  I can get onboard with hearing a "Whoa Nelly!!! Hogs score on a big one!!!" 

https://youtu.be/TosJRlDgKCA

razorbackfan86

Quote from: The NewEra on September 08, 2017, 09:47:10 am
I'm not sure I can survive an entire game without hearing Wow, Gee Whiz, Oh My about 100 times, but I'll try my best.

What drinking game will there be now?

LRHawg

Quote from: tolerati on September 08, 2017, 09:41:07 am
I think we will survive.

I couldn't stand him and Danielson. They played favorites and spent too much time commenting on off-the-field subjects instead of the game.

mellonhead

razorcash2

Quote from: hogsrule44 on September 08, 2017, 09:40:46 am
Most people don't agree, but it will not be the same without Uncle Verne on the call for Saturday afternoon games on CBS.

Do wha?

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: LRHawg on September 08, 2017, 10:17:28 am
I couldn't stand him and Danielson. They played favorites and spent too much time commenting on off-the-field subjects instead of the game.

That's cause they couldn't keep up with what was happening on the field.
This is my non-signature signature.

Porkette

Is Gary Danielson still going to be on with Nessler? He's the one I can't stand.

Uncle Verne never bothered me.
GO HOGS GO!

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: Porkette on September 08, 2017, 11:16:30 am
Is Gary Danielson still going to be on with Nessler? He's the one I can't stand.

Uncle Vern confused Hogs with Louisville and Alabama...Gary Danielson was equally blah!!!  An awesome lineup would be Tim Brando / Mike Tirico / Allie LaForce or Maria Taylor as sideline reporter.  If I can't Keith Jackson (Best CFB Announcer EVER!!!) then I can get behind the aforementioned crew...

SDZ_Hog

For a slight fee, I can come to your house, get tanked up, and do play by play.  It will be close to the same.   However, I can't call a pass an incomplete pass after the reciever advances it 50 yards after he indeeds catches it. That's where I draw the line.

Please provide the drinks and food. 

btw, I do like Mr Nessler

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: SDZ_Hog on September 08, 2017, 11:32:18 am
For a slight fee, I can come to your house, get tanked up, and do play by play.  It will be close to the same.   However, I can't call a pass an incomplete pass after the reciever advances it 50 yards after he indeeds catches it. That's where I draw the line.

Please provide the drinks and food. 

btw, I do like Mr Nessler

Hahahahahaha!!!  #FIFY +1 and whatever else is out there!!!  Good one... :)

go hogues

BS. Glad the Bama homer is gone.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: Porkette on September 08, 2017, 11:16:30 am

Yes, Danielson will be on tomorrow.
I'm very excited to hear Nessler tomorrow. He's a great announcer.
Verne Lundquist was a terrible announcer, but I loved his voice and passion for the game.
I agree on Gary Danielson. He gets tunnel vision on a player or particular play or something not even relating to the game and derails things. I suspect Nessler will handle him better, though.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: Surfing8 on September 08, 2017, 12:02:17 pm
I think football fans everyone outside the state of Alabama agree with this sentiment.

Hahahaha!!! Can you imagine Vern and Paul (Finebaum) calling a Bama game??? The opposing team will never get mentioned!!!  LOL!!!  :D

Oh yah, B. Nessler will be GTG.  ;)

VBCHog

I like verne's voice and calm demeanor but I believe nessler has more football knowledge and less bias to the big dogs.

Porkette

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on September 08, 2017, 11:58:11 am
Yes, Danielson will be on tomorrow.
I'm very excited to hear Nessler tomorrow. He's a great announcer.
Verne Lundquist was a terrible announcer, but I loved his voice and passion for the game.
I agree on Gary Danielson. He gets tunnel vision on a player or particular play or something not even relating to the game and derails things. I suspect Nessler will handle him better, though.

Thanks. That's what I thought but I wasn't sure.

Gary Danielson is just a weird guy and he always sounds angry to me. I'll never forget his bizarre commentary in that game where we shut out Ole Miss and he spent the whole game singing the praises of Ole Miss's defense. Brad Nessler is good so hopefully it will be better.
GO HOGS GO!

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: VBCHog on September 08, 2017, 12:19:22 pm
I like verne's voice and calm demeanor but I believe nessler has more football knowledge and less bias to the big dogs.

VBCHog are you in Virginia Beach by chance???

VBCHog

Nope. I'm in the metropolis of Russellville, Arkansas

DeltaBoy

Thank God VERN is Gone he should have been canned 5-8 years ago. 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: VBCHog on September 08, 2017, 12:38:18 pm
Nope. I'm in the metropolis of Russellville, Arkansas

Check...I like how you threw in "metropolis"...originally from "Mega-metropolis" NLR now reside and rootin for the Hogs in Va. Beach... :D

VBCHog

Vbc stands for van buren county. Just work in russvegas.

Hog N Bama

Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on September 08, 2017, 12:09:31 pm
Hahahaha!!! Can you imagine Vern and Paul (Finebaum) calling a Bama game??? The opposing team will never get mentioned!!!  LOL!!!  :D

Oh yah, B. Nessler will be GTG.  ;)
Finebaum wouldn't be able to see the game cause his head stays up Bama's A#%!
Nessler  is great!!

DoctorSusscrofa

They have to pair him with someone we can't stand. That's a contractual requirement.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

BDSCT51

Nessler will make Danielson better. Just so glad to NOT hear Verne!
Bleeding Razorback Red

WizardofhOgZ

Actually, this is not correct.  He called our win over Florida last season. 

That was a double-header week, and Verne called the LSU-Bama game later in the day.

http://www.myajc.com/sports/college/brad-nessler-make-sec-cbs-debut-during-florida-arkansas-game/rFiRkUR0ySdQajLeLWef6M/

Hogfan46

I wish Nessler could have brought Blackledge with him.

hoggusamoungus

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on September 08, 2017, 09:56:38 am
I'm good with not hearing Verne call us the wrong team or mess up names of Hog players...I think last season he called Arkansas Alabama...With today's advanced scientific technology why not make a clone of Keith Jackson?!?!  I can get onboard with hearing a "Whoa Nelly!!! Hogs score on a big one!!!" 

https://youtu.be/TosJRlDgKCA

Sure he retired past his prime, but up until about 10 years ago he was one of the best.

HeathWimp

I love Nessler.

You're absolutely right.  It will be infinitely better without "Alabama" Verne.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

Locutus_of_Boar

Unlike many PBP, Nessler calls football games without the need to turn the game into a platform to deliver a signature act.  I didn't mind Uncle Verne's act so much as that for the last decade he couldn't do that and call the game at the same time.

What's going to be interesting will be the first time he calls out Danielson's foolishness.  I'm not at all certain this is a stable pairing.  That can work at ESPN but I'm not so sure how the tradition bound CBS will like putting what could be an argumentative crew in the booth.

CFB_Fanatic

I like Nessler for sure. But Verne had a knack for calling the big plays. He was definitely not on top of his game the last 8 or 10 years but when he was, he was the best at calling the big plays. Way better than Nessler or anyone ESPN has had over the last 10 years.

Tortfeasor

I remember him calling one of our games last year on CBS and he was great to hear. One of the better analysts out there.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on September 08, 2017, 09:33:00 pm
Unlike many PBP, Nessler calls football games without the need to turn the game into a platform to deliver a signature act.  I didn't mind Uncle Verne's act so much as that for the last decade he couldn't do that and call the game at the same time.

What's going to be interesting will be the first time he calls out Danielson's foolishness.  I'm not at all certain this is a stable pairing.  That can work at ESPN but I'm not so sure how the tradition bound CBS will like putting what could be an argumentative crew in the booth.

They worked together in 1997 and 98 so I imagine CBS looked at their history together when making the pairing.

Hoggish1

Oh    My    God

Mike Irwin

Vern was a young sportscaster on WFAA in Dallas when I was in college at North Texas State. He was good. Real good. He did the Cowboys on the radio for a while. Radio play by play requires much more skill and work than TV play by play. He was prepared. He was sharp. He was funny.

Then he moved on to television where for a good number of years he did a fine job. The man eventually got old but because of his reputation CBS kept employing him and his attitude was, if they want to keep paying me wads of money fine but I'm not going to put in the hours and the effort that I did when I was moving up the ladder.

It's not his fault that CBS kept him on well past a time when somebody else would have done a better job. CBS did it because the majority of their viewers didn't care much that his skills had gone south. He was uncle Vern. A familiar voice on their TV.

Finally it got bad enough that they had to make a change. And so they did. That's life.

The NewEra

How many times do you think we will have to hear Danielson lecture the audience on how terrible it is for Arkansas to get behind the sticks?  It seems like every game Danielson goes into that canned talking point at least 20 times.  Then Austin throws for a first down on second and long.

One other thing:  I could sure go without 15 references to Kenny Hill's dad being a Cy Young whatever and his cameo shots in the stands.  I watched the TCU game from last year last night and that certainly got old along with Danielson's comments above.

LRHawg

Quote from: The NewEra on September 09, 2017, 08:35:41 am

One other thing:  I could sure go without 15 references to Kenny Hill's dad being a Cy Young whatever and his cameo shots in the stands.  I watched the TCU game from last year last night and that certainly got old along with Danielson's comments above.
Oh you know it's coming! A few big plays from Trill and they'll have the pre-made peice on him and his dad queued up and ready to go.

HeathWimp

Not gonna miss hearing "Whoa Nellie!"  That's for sure.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: The NewEra on September 09, 2017, 08:35:41 am
How many times do you think we will have to hear Danielson lecture the audience on how terrible it is for Arkansas to get behind the sticks?  It seems like every game Danielson goes into that canned talking point at least 20 times.  Then Austin throws for a first down on second and long.

Blame ESPN for that since they had the game last year, not CBS

And for the non-Arkansas fans watching the game that do not know our team like we do it is an important for Danielson to make that point about our offense. We don't have an explosive offense that can work from behind like TCU does. Remember, not everyone watching the game is a die hard Razorback fan nor likely knows anything about football

Dr. Starcs

Dr. Starcs

Sure am gonna miss Vern question whether an 80 yard catch, run and fumble was an incomplete pass.

And to think cbs kept him several years after that.