Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Dallas Morning News sports experts have weighed in...

Started by Locutus_of_Boar, September 08, 2017, 08:42:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

parallaxpig

noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

How much do you wanna bet that they made those same picks last year  :D
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

hogcard1964

This is going to be one of our more enjoyable moments over the last 5 seasons.

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

PorkRinds

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

FraggleHog

I can confirm that the same predictions happened last year. We all know what happened.

The whole state of Texas is Butt Hurt after what happened last weekend to their beloved Whorns, Aggy and the Babtists... They are praying that TCU can restore the image of Texas Football again.
Calling the Hogs from DFW

The Kig

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on September 08, 2017, 08:53:33 am
How much do you wanna bet that they made those same picks last year  :D

They did... but it shouldn't be surprising that the DFW local media picks the DFW based team to win. 
Poker Porker

DLUXHOG

DMN coverage of the SEC and the Hogs is extremely dismal...  this tacked on with their growing liberal bias in "news reporting" are the reasons I stopped my subscription which I had for 30 years....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Hogwop

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 08, 2017, 08:54:11 am
This is going to be one of our more enjoyable moments over the last 5 seasons.

As much as I hate to agree with you, I think so too.
Pigga what?!
Quote from: PonderinHog on April 16, 2018, 10:27:02 amAn emoji is worth a hundred words.
9-07-1958 - 12-2-2011 R.I.P Mom, I will always miss you and love you.

Quote from: DLUXHOG on September 08, 2017, 10:04:40 am
DMN coverage of the SEC and the Hogs is extremely dismal...  this tacked on with their growing liberal bias in "news reporting" are the reasons I stopped my subscription which I had for 30 years....
You are fake news.

hogcard1964

al_pigcino

Quote from: FraggleHog on September 08, 2017, 09:30:35 am
They are praying that TCU can restore the image of Texas Football again.
I mean I love the hogs, but I can't justify beating us making it a signature win for the state of Texas.........

KlubhouseKonnected

If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Razorback7281

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 08, 2017, 09:08:33 am
People from Texas are idiots. It's to be expected.
15 Texans on the currant Razorback roster
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on September 16, 2015, 08:55:43 pmgurantee I'm smarter then you..but that's not saying much.
Quote from: talley on September 17, 2015, 09:53:38 am
you misspelled "Guarantee" while trying to talk about how smart you are.  Epic Fail.
Quote from: Lanny on October 16, 2015, 07:37:58 am
Good job everyone except Faldon.

Iwastherein1969

What worried me when I first saw the line on the game was that we were the underdog. I cannot think of many times when we were underdogs to a team that we had beaten the previous year at their place and when they come to our place the following year we beat them as underdogs. I have a bad feeling about this game. Oh, we'll get better in a few games and have our usual 6-6 or 7-5 season. But this is one game that we are likely to lose. I make the score, Frogs-42   Hogs-17     and I so hope that I'm wrong, but I don't think I am
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

FraggleHog

Quote from: al_pigcino on September 08, 2017, 11:14:01 am
I mean I love the hogs, but I can't justify beating us making it a signature win for the state of Texas.........

Not saying it would be a signature win... but it's a win over a decent Power 5 school. Something that none of the other big schools in the state of Texas can claim.

bob slydell

*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

Tejano Jawg

Unanimous? Huh.

Norm Hitzges in Dallas also picked the Frogs. He just said, in a very smug way, "I think TCU handles Arkansas." Strange confidence there.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

PorkRinds

Iwastherein1969

Another sobering fact, we are underdogs at home to a Big 12 team who is not that great in Bielema's 5th season. Tell the truth, would you ever have thought that we'd be considered inferior to any program in the Big 12 besides OU or maybe Texas going in to Bret's 5th season ?  Really, not a good sign.

MissippHog

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on September 08, 2017, 11:26:51 am
What worried me when I first saw the line on the game was that we were the underdog. I cannot think of many times when we were underdogs to a team that we had beaten the previous year at their place and when they come to our place the following year we beat them as underdogs. I have a bad feeling about this game. Oh, we'll get better in a few games and have our usual 6-6 or 7-5 season. But this is one game that we are likely to lose. I make the score, Frogs-42   Hogs-17     and I so hope that I'm wrong, but I don't think I am
It opened Hogs -2. 

bob slydell

Quote from: Hogwild on September 08, 2017, 11:35:31 am
6 of the 9 took Arkansas with the points, this year all nine are laying 3.5 points

There's a big difference between laying 3.5 and laying 7.  Makes sense that more would give 3.5. 
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

Hogdomer

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on September 08, 2017, 11:26:51 am

TCU lost to KState at the end of the year last year by 3+ touchdowns and scored 6 points.  They scored 10 against Ok State.  They lost the bowl game.  If we lose to this team by anything close to 42-17, we aren't going 7-5.

Iwastherein1969

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on September 08, 2017, 11:41:07 am
Another sobering fact, we are underdogs at home to a Big 12 team who is not that great in Bielema's 5th season. Tell the truth, would you ever have thought that we'd be considered inferior to any program in the Big 12 besides OU or maybe Texas going in to Bret's 5th season ?  Really, not a good sign.

Really doesn't mean jack at all. The prognosticators expect TCU to have a better season this year and to compete with OU/OSU, who they see as being really good teams this year. Add that to how we ended the last season and you can understand why they are picking TCU.

Here's the great thing though, when the ball is kicked off, all of that point spread crap doesn't mean a thing.
Go Hogs Go!

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Hogdomer on September 08, 2017, 11:50:37 am
TCU lost to KState at the end of the year last year by 3+ touchdowns and scored 6 points.  They scored 10 against Ok State.  They lost the bowl game.  If we lose to this team by anything close to 42-17, we aren't going 7-5.
Did you not notice how we finished the season last year ?

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: Bob Slydell on September 08, 2017, 11:48:48 am
There's a big difference between laying 3.5 and laying 7.  Makes sense that more would give 3.5. 

It's almost like gambling is a business. 

MissippHog

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on September 08, 2017, 11:50:47 am
The first line I saw was TCU at -2.5  ....oh well, I just hope we win
Bettors jumped on it and it moved quickly to TCU -2.  So Vegas has a little faith in the Hogs, just nobody else does (outside Arkansas.)

Hogdomer

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on September 08, 2017, 11:52:11 am

Yes I did.  My only point is if we lose to a team that couldn't score in the double digits against K-State by almost four touchdowns we aren't going 7-5 against our schedule.

Porkette

The unanimous overconfidence on TCU's side (fans, media etc) is actually really strange to me in this one. We won a great game last year and they're coming  to our place.

Now, I pretty much never feel confident in the hogs winning a big game. I always worry. But I feel like both of these teams are just unknowns at this point.
GO HOGS GO!

bennyl08

Quote from: Razorback7281 on September 08, 2017, 11:22:53 am
15 Texans on the currant Razorback roster

He should have said "in" Texas and not from. The smart ones know to leave. ;)
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 08, 2017, 11:51:54 am
Really doesn't mean jack at all. The prognosticators expect TCU to have a better season this year and to compete with OU/OSU, who they see as being really good teams this year. Add that to how we ended the last season and you can understand why they are picking TCU.

Here's the great thing though, when the ball is kicked off, all of that point spread crap doesn't mean a thing.
look I want to win this game as much as anyone....but I'm a pragmatist in my latter 50's...again, nothing would be more enjoyable than to be wrong in choosing TCU to beat my Hogs...what does concern me, as I said, is that our program is not further along into Bret's 5th year than we are...we shouldn't be worrying about non-conference home games unless they are against a major power...the fact that we are is just not a good sign...and I hate saying such things

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 08, 2017, 08:59:40 am
I guess their still having drug problem in Dallas.

Sure are, especially from the last few times We skull drug ::hornsdown:: around...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hogcard1964

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on September 08, 2017, 11:58:19 am
look I want to win this game as much as anyone....but I'm a pragmatist in my latter 50's...again, nothing would be more enjoyable than to be wrong in choosing TCU to beat my Hogs...what does concern me, as I said, is that our program is not further along into Bret's 5th year than we are...we shouldn't be worrying about non-conference home games unless they are against a major power...the fact that we are is just not a good sign...and I hate saying such things

True, but you have to remember this is against a middle of the pack Big 12 team.  ...that was also pretty bad last season.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 08, 2017, 12:01:26 pm
True, but you have to remember this is against a middle of the pack Big 12 team.  ...that was also pretty bad last season.
I guess years of high expectations on my part have taught me to lower them so as to not be disappointed....there's nothing outside my family and my religion that I care about more than Razorback sports...I know a lot of you guys feel the same way...I just hope we win....Patterson wants this game and in the worst way...one good thing, he can't play the game, or maybe it would be a good thing to see Patterson playing tail back instead of that Turpin guy

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on September 08, 2017, 11:41:07 am

Why is TCU considered a superior program and a favorite at this point?  What about TCU going from 6-7 in '16 makes them better than Arkansas this year?

I actually think your sentiment is pretty commonplace at the moment.  Coach B needs to give the fanbase some hope.  I just think about the baseball program.  Even though we haven't won it all... we could. 

hogcard1964

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on September 08, 2017, 12:12:36 pm
Why is TCU considered a superior program and a favorite at this point?  What about TCU going from 6-7 in '16 makes them better than Arkansas this year?

I actually think your sentiment is pretty commonplace at the moment.  Coach B needs to give the fanbase some hope.  I just think about the baseball program.  Even though we haven't won it all... we could.

For some odd, unexplainable reason, they're favored.  ...or they were yesterday.

Cambridge Hog

hogman64

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on September 08, 2017, 11:52:11 am

and since then we have lost our best running back, most experienced receivers, changed defenses as well as lost  our
best defensive player for the year , replacing him with a freshman,  we  are playing a team ranked well above us and all we have done so far this year is beat the weakest team we will play all year.........so someone would call these guys idiots for picking their home town team?

Pudgepork

Tcu is getting much respect because of those 17 starters back on a Sr laden team.  Also Pattersons very good record of having very good years after a rare down year.  All the sports guys can talk about is that tcu went 12-1 the last time following a bad year

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: FraggleHog on September 08, 2017, 09:30:35 am
I can confirm that the same predictions happened last year. We all know what happened.

The whole state of Texas is Butt Hurt after what happened last weekend to their beloved Whorns, Aggy and the Babtists... They are praying that TCU can restore the image of Texas Football again.

Not true.  A yuge part of the state is from someplace else and when the Texas schools lose it's borderline erotic.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Hogwild

AugustaHog

September 08, 2017, 01:43:14 pm #47 Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 02:06:52 pm by AugustaHog
Quote from: hogman64 on September 08, 2017, 12:20:39 pm
and since then we have lost our best running back, most experienced receivers, changed defenses as well as lost  our
best defensive player for the year , replacing him with a freshman,  we  are playing a team ranked well above us and all we have done so far this year is beat the weakest team we will play all year.........so someone would call these guys idiots for picking their home town team?
I'm not sure how this thing is going to shake, but I'll address your points, which on the surface seem valid. 
-RW3 was a beast, but at this time last year Devwah wasn't even a factor and there was no Chase Hayden.  I don't think there will be much drop off in RB production as long as we get a little blocking.
-The WRs is truly a glaring question and really the only big loss to me from this point last season. 
-The defensive change is something that I view as a plus and not a negative.  We can't be any worse than we played last year late in that game.  Jesus, Hill rolled up 200+ passing in the 4th qtr alone last year.
-Pulley was an un-proven replacement that was moved into playing time from the KRich injury last season.  He was a good player at this point, but not at the level he was during the end of last season and the beginning of this year. 

All of those things on the surface would seem to indicate a TCU rout.  When you dig a little deeper, you realize that maybe things aren't that bad.  As you noted, this game will depend on what the 3 RBs do, whether the WRs get open, how Curl adjusts, and whether the defense can be something more than the speed bump it was last year.  I would say that I feel really good about the RBs and overall D improvement.  The jury is still out on the WRs and Curl IMO. 

FraggleHog

I believe TCU is favored mostly because of Patterson.  He has a pretty good record of winning games over the past few years.  They were not very good last year and to many that means they will be good this year mostly because their coach refuses to be denied.  Remember the depth many on here claim we have.  If we indeed do have depth, now is the time to utilize it.  We've known for way over a year that 2017 would be a year we would break in several new WRs.  So one assume we have allowed for that in our planning.  Losing RWIII and Pulley hurts but remember that depth.  We really have zero excuses to go lose this game.  Power 5 big time conference middle of the road team playing at home against a smaller power 5 middle of the roader.  Homer calls alone should be worth 3 or 4 points plus the usual home field advantage.  We should be granted about 7 points for those 2 items lone.  We just need to go forth, line them up, kick their butts and move on to the next team. Yet I fear, I fear.