Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kodi Augustus

Started by thehill1414, July 07, 2006, 09:35:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

pioneerhog

Quote from: russellclaude on July 07, 2006, 09:47:13 pm
you people have no idea what you are talking about... you were praising Rakestraw the other day, and most of you had no idea who Kodi Augustus was. How do you know we haven't lined up someone else who is better than Kodi? How do you know how good Nate is? Have you seen any of the pickup games?

How do you think Rakestraw feels seeing some of the comments you are making? What about other recruits that we are looking at?

If you honestly know something about both these guys then I respect your opinion, but unless you have seen both of these guys play then you outta stop trashing these guys.
I have not seen either of these guys play, that is the reason that I have started the thread asking if anyone has seen him play. I don't really think that I have really bashed Nate today, if someone thinks I have then I am sorry, the worst thing I have said is that he better be a helluva player to turn down Kodi. If I have offended anyone by my comments today then I am sorry, that is not what I was trying to do, I was trying to find some reasoning for this.

SwinedMelon

Quote from: nwarazfan on July 07, 2006, 06:43:52 pm
Slander has started.  Dudley says that KA lacks intensity. 
Where in the hell did Dudley say that? chucks show? I never heard him say anything bad about Kodi, but I missed the end of the show.
"Bar-keep, another go around again. One for me and whats-his-name, my new best friend!"

three

Quote from: pioneerhog on July 07, 2006, 09:53:12 pm
you people have no idea what you are talking about... you were praising Rakestraw the other day, and most of you had no idea who Kodi Augustus was. How do you know we haven't lined up someone else who is better than Kodi? How do you know how good Nate is? Have you seen any of the pickup games?

How do you think Rakestraw feels seeing some of the comments you are making? What about other recruits that we are looking at?

If you honestly know something about both these guys then I respect your opinion, but unless you have seen both of these guys play then you outta stop trashing these guys.
I have not seen either of these guys play, that is the reason that I have started the thread asking if anyone has seen him play. I don't really think that I have really bashed Nate today, if someone thinks I have then I am sorry, the worst thing I have said is that he better be a helluva player to turn down Kodi. If I have offended anyone by my comments today then I am sorry, that is not what I was trying to do, I was trying to find some reasoning for this.
I have seen him play.  And I question the recruitment of Nate because he seems to lack the ability to create his shot.  Kind of like a Blake Eddins without the toughness.  Blake couldn't get a shot off, but he was a tough kid with a quick trigger, so when Dean or Gipson or JJ created something and hit him on the wing, he got it off.  Now, if that's what Rakestraw is supposed to be, fine, but why can't Cranford serve the same purpose?  To me, this raises a lot of questions.  Maybe it's a situation where Stan thinks if he offers Nate he'll get Sanchez (another player I question).

The worst thing about all of this, we're talking about these players, and they're still just kids.  It's a rough thing to go through, and I hope they know it's nothing personal.  I really feel bad for Kodi Augustus, because by all accounts, the hogs just told him to kiss off because they want someone else.  I'm still trying to get the full story, but that's how it's starting to shape up.
Worrying is like a rocking chair...it gives you something to do, but you don't get anywhere.

riccoar

Remember when someone called in and made Otis snap?  Would love to hear the audio of that again.  I read the ADG too, but haven't heard anything since.  So was this a case of someone putting words into a kids mouth?

DirectorM

Quote from: silvertip on July 07, 2006, 06:13:04 pm
Well, I've read everything I can find here & on the recruiting board & I find very little in the way of real info.

All the hysterical comments about the coach's recruiting, Rakestraw vs Augustus, blah blah---just looks like another internet message board circle-jerk to me.

My SPECULATION, from what I've seen so far, is that one of the recruiting "gurus" such as Grit, picked up on a remark by either the kid or his coach. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if it was not yet a done deal in the eyes of the Hawg coaches.

Does anyone have any REAL info on the facts? If so, please tell us the source. Thanks

Just let this play out.  No one knows anything yet.  I like how everyone is going nuts over someone else knocking this kid when most of everyone on here is bashing Rakestraw.  Just calm down and let the chips fall where they may.

SwinedMelon

July 07, 2006, 10:52:54 pm #55 Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 10:55:20 pm by russellclaude
Quote from: HoopHog on July 07, 2006, 10:20:14 pm
Quote from: russellclaude on July 07, 2006, 09:55:57 pm
Where in the hell did Dudley say that? chucks show? I never heard him say anything bad about Kodi, but I missed the end of the show.

Yes...on Sports Rap.  Basic back peddling on behalf of the University.  Dudley is as much of a lap-baby/teet monger as Otis Kirk.
Yes,  we certainly need more local journalists who like to piss of the coaches and leak information. that would make everything better.

for what its worth, Dudley didn't say one thing on Hawgs Illustrated about Kodi lacking intensity... he didn't say one derogatory thing about Kodi, but he did mention that there is a kid rated higher than Kodi that is suddenly listing the hogs as somoeone he is interested... the guy is also being recruited heavily by Pitino @ Louisville. Maybe we want him more.
"Bar-keep, another go around again. One for me and whats-his-name, my new best friend!"

SwinedMelon

Quote from: DirectorM on July 07, 2006, 10:51:43 pm
Quote from: silvertip on July 07, 2006, 06:13:04 pm
Well, I've read everything I can find here & on the recruiting board & I find very little in the way of real info.

All the hysterical comments about the coach's recruiting, Rakestraw vs Augustus, blah blah---just looks like another internet message board circle-jerk to me.

My SPECULATION, from what I've seen so far, is that one of the recruiting "gurus" such as Grit, picked up on a remark by either the kid or his coach. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if it was not yet a done deal in the eyes of the Hawg coaches.

Does anyone have any REAL info on the facts? If so, please tell us the source. Thanks

Just let this play out.  No one knows anything yet.  I like how everyone is going nuts over someone else knocking this kid when most of everyone on here is bashing Rakestraw.  Just calm down and let the chips fall where they may.

Talk about a freaking voice of reason- thank God! +1

mikeirwin

I seriously doubt both Dudley and Otis jumped the gun on this story.
The word is the kid's coach is not happy about the situation. Augustus apparently had picked Arkansas over Texas and some other schools in the Big 12.
The problem is your not gonna get a reaction from Heath because he can't talk about a recruit.
It doesn't sound good right now.

JackJohnson

Quote from: HoopHog on July 07, 2006, 10:28:14 pm
Quote from: riccoar on July 07, 2006, 10:23:25 pm
Remember when someone called in and made Otis snap?  Would love to hear the audio of that again.  I read the ADG too, but haven't heard anything since.  So was this a case of someone putting words into a kids mouth?

No, not exactly.  The kid's AAU coach (who is yet another mentor with too much "representative" power) along with experts on Rivals and others, had him committing to Arkansas.  But, no one considered Stan Heath having one of his 'episodes.'  Nonetheless, Otis -- in an attempt to "break" the story, does not know how to wait until the news comes directly from the official source.

scout also had an independent article about it WAY before Dudley posted ANYTHING about Kodi committing, by russ blake of NewYorkInsider...

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=2&cid=544785&nid=1991283&fhn=1

HawgPilot

I gotta call BS on you Hoopie.  I have listened to it and Dudley never says "KA lacks intensity"  Can you please provide source or link? ;D

Yes...on Sports Rap.  Basic back peddling on behalf of the University.  Dudley is as much of a lap-baby/teet monger as Otis Kirk.
;D

HawgPilot

Why is it when you post something factual or an opposing opinion you get smited?
Quote from: HawgPilot on July 07, 2006, 11:10:27 pm
I gotta call BS on you Hoopie.  I have listened to it and Dudley never says "KA lacks intensity"  Can you please provide source or link? ;D

;D

SwinedMelon

Quote from: HawgPilot on July 07, 2006, 11:12:38 pm
Why is it when you post something factual or an opposing opinion you get smited?

;D
this is a good forum, but unfortunately there are some bad apples... aka liars.

HawgPilot

Hmmmm.  I am very new here and can see that many of us who are passionate about the Hogs express it much differently than others. 
Quote from: russellclaude on July 07, 2006, 11:22:53 pm

;D

nwarazfan

;D

Dudley clearly stated it more than once during the 6:00 hour.  Sorry to be the messenger of truth.

TulsaHogFan

;D

I think you are getting smited for other posts.  Maybe this one, no clue.

HawgPilot

Should be archived.  If I am incorrect please forgive me in advance.
Quote from: nwarazfan on July 07, 2006, 11:27:49 pm

;D

Dudley clearly stated it more than once during the 6:00 hour.  Sorry to be the messenger of truth.

TulsaHogFan

;D

There is supposedly more to the story.  I wish i knew it all.  Most on here are not trashing the kid but in fact defending the kid from the onslaught that has come in the past to players in the same situation.  If you look back there is a history of it happening.  Who knows, maybe its different this time, maybe not. 

We are not going to allow the recruit to be trashed on here though.  In fact most have been very high on him.

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: HawgPilot on July 07, 2006, 11:30:38 pm

;D

Do me a favor, type your quotes at the bottom, makes it much easier to read.

nwarazfan

Quote from: The real Hogules on July 07, 2006, 08:40:37 pm
Where did you hear Dudley Dawson say or write that Kodi Augustus lacked intensity???
I subscribe to the H.I. web site, as well as this one and read every Dudley post  on there and have seen him speak only in high praise of the Augustus kid.
There "seems" to be something going on behind the scenes, apparently with another player (besides James Anderson, or in addition to J.A.).
That's just my opinion from reading between the lines in a couple of posts and I could be out in left field on this one.
Dudley Dawson even went as far as to compare Kodi Augustus' game to Tracy McGrady and said Kodi was very, very good.
Something BIG must have happened in the last 24-36 hours to make our basketball coaches ask K.A. to hold the line.
I guess we'll see how this all plays out.

I'm sorry you throw money at Dudley and Black Sheep.  So Dudley says he is Tracy McGrady-like on HI when he thinks he is coming to the UA and then says on SR that he lacks intensity and doesn't have the range or shot of the Mich kid or Rakestraw AFTER it looks like we are going a different direction?

HawgPilot

Quote from: TulsaHogFan on July 07, 2006, 11:32:43 pm
Quote from: HawgPilot on July 07, 2006, 11:30:38 pm

;D

Do me a favor, type your quotes at the bottom, makes it much easier to read.

Sorry. 

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: HawgPilot on July 07, 2006, 11:36:41 pm

Sorry. 

No biggie, just makes it easier for everyone.  Thanks a bunch.

SwinedMelon

Rakestraw is who was being trashed... that is not what I want to hear from Hog fans. Rakestraw has been playing pickup games with the team and has obviously impressed. Thats why he was offered, and the kid loves the Hogs.

thahawg

I'm embarrassed of our program. :-[

Richard_white

Quote from: thahawg on July 08, 2006, 12:42:49 am
I'm embarrassed of our program. :-[

Don't be.  We are Arkansas.  Some fans say it's okay. (sarcasm)

Extra Point

Quote from: pioneerhog on July 07, 2006, 05:24:50 pm
All I got to say is Nate better be one helluva player because we have lost out on Augustus! On top of that we have hurt recruiting ties into Texas and with the AAU coach that coached Kodi's team.

LOL...this hurt our recruiting in texass?  Please explain.

Heath can't even talk directly to Kodi OR his coach right now.  The kid wanted to commit Friday and Heath made a tough decision telling him through a 3rd party to wait.

The same people criticizing Heath for being straight forward with Kodi now would be going ballistic if we accepted his commitment and lost out on James Anderson.

It's early July, a LOOOOOOOONG time before both fall and spring signing periods.  Let's hope James changes his mind and commits very soon instead of waiting til spring.

And don't forget Dar.  He is a stud who could wind up being the 3rd signee behind James (or vice versa).

Extra Point

That's not true.  DD said NOTHING of the sort on HI.

He's at the games watching Kodi.  In fact, he and Sanchez sat together today and watched Kodi play.

Extra Point

Quote from: three on July 07, 2006, 10:00:14 pm

I have seen him play.  And I question the recruitment of Nate because he seems to lack the ability to create his shot.  Kind of like a Blake Eddins without the toughness.  Blake couldn't get a shot off, but he was a tough kid with a quick trigger, so when Dean or Gipson or JJ created something and hit him on the wing, he got it off.  Now, if that's what Rakestraw is supposed to be, fine, but why can't Cranford serve the same purpose?  To me, this raises a lot of questions.  Maybe it's a situation where Stan thinks if he offers Nate he'll get Sanchez (another player I question).

The worst thing about all of this, we're talking about these players, and they're still just kids.  It's a rough thing to go through, and I hope they know it's nothing personal.  I really feel bad for Kodi Augustus, because by all accounts, the hogs just told him to kiss off because they want someone else.  I'm still trying to get the full story, but that's how it's starting to shape up.

If the last time you saw him play was the HS season, he has made a completely different impression on not only the AR coaches, but other BcS coaches as well.  Nate has been lighting it up and is coming into his own this summer playing with and against good talent.

Extra Point

Quote from: nwarazfan on July 07, 2006, 11:33:54 pm
Quote from: The real Hogules on July 07, 2006, 08:40:37 pm
Where did you hear Dudley Dawson say or write that Kodi Augustus lacked intensity???
I subscribe to the H.I. web site, as well as this one and read every Dudley post  on there and have seen him speak only in high praise of the Augustus kid.
There "seems" to be something going on behind the scenes, apparently with another player (besides James Anderson, or in addition to J.A.).
That's just my opinion from reading between the lines in a couple of posts and I could be out in left field on this one.
Dudley Dawson even went as far as to compare Kodi Augustus' game to Tracy McGrady and said Kodi was very, very good.
Something BIG must have happened in the last 24-36 hours to make our basketball coaches ask K.A. to hold the line.
I guess we'll see how this all plays out.

I'm sorry you throw money at Dudley and Black Sheep.  So Dudley says he is Tracy McGrady-like on HI when he thinks he is coming to the UA and then says on SR that he lacks intensity and doesn't have the range or shot of the Mich kid or Rakestraw AFTER it looks like we are going a different direction?

You are right.  Dudley who is sitting on the sidelines watching the games posting on his Blackberry about Kodi and Dar has NO clue.

Amazing how a guy who is actually attending the shoe camp watching the games reports such bad info.

fu-man-soo

HogHillbilly

Pain heals.......Chicks dig scars.......Glory lasts forever.......GHG

fu-man-soo

pioneerhog

What is the deal with Dar Tucker? I have read on here that we are in on this kid then when I look at Rivals and Scout he does not list us on his schools of intrest. On Scout he lists two schools that he has intrest in and the are Louisville with High intrest and Miami with medium intrest. On Rivals he has the same school with high intrest and Arizone, Illini, Marquette, Miami, and Wake Forrest all with medium intrest. So what's the deal here, Is this just another ploy by Dudley and Otis to try and make people happy over the Kodi move?

werehog

When did this kid from Saginaw, Michigan, get in the mix? What does anybody know about Darqavis Tucker except he is a 6-3 kid from Big 10 country who has showed a scoring touch in AAU ball where absolutely No Damn Defense is played. IMO AAU ball has become a watered down version of the Rucker Tourney or the Venice Beach playground tourney (where White Men Can't Jump) was filmed. If we lose Kodi Augustus and get coaches in Texas PO'd because Stan suddenly falls in love with another one of his Michigan Marvels (i.e., see Olu -- now a marginal player with the Rimrockers), Nate Rakestraw better be the second comming of J.J. Reddick. I got this sinking feeling that NR is just another slow white guy he can toss down a jumper if no one has a hand in his face. By the way, what does Stan have against Southern kids, white or black. If Spiffy Stan (I won't remove my jacket or work up a sweat no matter what) would have nailed down James Anderson, Kodi Augustus and worked out a prep school deal with Marcus Britt if his academics weren't up to par I would have been happy.

JackJohnson

Quote from: werehog on July 08, 2006, 10:37:54 am
When did this kid from Saginaw, Michigan, get in the mix? What does anybody know about Darqavis Tucker except he is a 6-3 kid from Big 10 country who has showed a scoring touch in AAU ball where absolutely No Damn Defense is played. IMO AAU ball has become a watered down version of the Rucker Tourney or the Venice Beach playground tourney (where White Men Can't Jump) was filmed. If we lose Kodi Augustus and get coaches in Texas PO'd because Stan suddenly falls in love with another one of his Michigan Marvels (i.e., see Olu -- now a marginal player with the Rimrockers), Nate Rakestraw better be the second comming of J.J. Reddick. I got this sinking feeling that NR is just another slow white guy he can toss down a jumper if no one has a hand in his face. By the way, what does Stan have against Southern kids, white or black. If Spiffy Stan (I won't remove my jacket or work up a sweat no matter what) would have nailed down James Anderson, Kodi Augustus and worked out a prep school deal with Marcus Britt if his academics weren't up to par I would have been happy.

not just that, but we could have gotten rakestraw to walk on for a year, redshirt, and then go on scholarship the next year when we have a bunch of open scholarships.  Then with Britt and Sanchez at prep school, you already have 3 guys for the next year, to go along with Tucker, Kodi and James.  That is six really good players, with 3 of them basically redshirting from the same class. 

oh well...

three

Quote from: Extra Point on July 08, 2006, 04:21:46 am
Quote from: three on July 07, 2006, 10:00:14 pm

If the last time you saw him play was the HS season, he has made a completely different impression on not only the AR coaches, but other BcS coaches as well.  Nate has been lighting it up and is coming into his own this summer playing with and against good talent.
That's good to hear.  Although, I'm not completely sold on summer leagues and what they show you.  I lit it up in those leagues, too, playing with guys who went on to have great college careers and some have made it to the NBA.  I was no where near their level, but, for whatever reason, was one of our top scorers in AAU.

But I'm getting side-tracked.  If Nate is indeed lighting it up, that's very good to hear.  The thing I liked about the kid was his unselfish play.  With a guy like Sanchez, who often times seems determined to score, even if the smarter play is to kick back out, Nate does not force it, does not try to draw attention to himself, he just takes care of his responsibilities on the floor, and at the end of the night, you look up and he's got 15 points, and you wonder where that came from.

Seems like a nice kid, too, whereas some others who shall remain nameless (after all, they're still kids) do not.  I hope it works out.  He's going to be compared to Augustus for the rest of his career, fair or not, if Arkansas doesn't get him, and so, for that reason alone, I hope he's as beloved a hog as Pat Bradley was.  Keep in mind, folks, this kid did NOTHING wrong.  He was offered, he took it, and I'm sure he believes he'll come in and make a difference right away.  Best of luck to him.
Worrying is like a rocking chair...it gives you something to do, but you don't get anywhere.

Yo Huckleberry

don't know "why we have to offer 'a' white guy" don't you? Sheesh! As for Cranford, Pat Foster said he couldn't understand why the kid wasn't getting to play because he can shoot the hell out of it; McCurdy was coached by Bobby Hurley, Sr., and highly recommended and SHOUKLD have played a helluvalot more last year instead of Liability Jefferson; as for Rakestraw: I have know idea about the kid other than to say Ron Crawford says the kid can shoot & gawd knows we need shooters.

nwarazfan

Quote from: Extra Point on July 08, 2006, 04:17:06 am

That's not true.  DD said NOTHING of the sort on HI.

He's at the games watching Kodi.  In fact, he and Sanchez sat together today and watched Kodi play.

How many times do I have to tell you HI people? He said it on Sports Rap during the 6:00 hour.  I have no idea what he says on Black Sheep's site.  Slow down and read something before saying its not true.