Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kodi Augustus

Started by thehill1414, July 07, 2006, 09:35:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

thehill1414

Anyone see this new guy our bball team is supposed to get later today?
http://www.wholehogsports.com/adg/159803/
4-star...could be pretty good....

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

Just saw what was written in the article.  Hadn't heard anything about him.  Anyone know?

thehill1414

Rivals says hes going to choose us over Florida, Texas, Tennessee, etc.

silvertip

Rivals says #26 SF. Going to prep school, so he will have another year to get stronger. I like that, since we have plenty of big men right now.

Hollywood_HOGan

man if we get James Anderson this is one great class.

Only thing we really need is a young true point guard for the future.
Maybe we can get one in next years class.

mbgrulz

i dont really think he is a big man. from everything ive heard about him, he is a SF, and god knows we need those. sonny weems will have to log a lot of minutes next year because there is no one else to fill that spot. supposedly he has uncanny range for his size. as long as we get anderson, that completes my wishlist.

killamon

similar build and style of play to tyrus thomas...maybe not as explosive, yet

thehill1414

Since when does Tyrus Thomas shoot the three ball well? I dont imagine this kid being near as good inside as Tyrus, but probably much better outside.

snag

Quote from: mbgrulz on July 07, 2006, 10:35:39 am
i dont really think he is a big man. from everything ive heard about him, he is a SF, and god knows we need those. sonny weems will have to log a lot of minutes next year because there is no one else to fill that spot. supposedly he has uncanny range for his size. as long as we get anderson, that completes my wishlist.

I agree. We haven't had a great SF since Scotty Thurman! Do you think there is any way Charles Thomas can develop himself into a SF? I think he needs to if he wants a future in the NBA. His shot is not that bad.

Pignominious

We're getting the talent, and in college hoops talent=wins.
Ray Biggers' third cousin.

Adam Stokes

Quote from: BearclawHogs44 on July 07, 2006, 11:44:43 am

We've been getting talent for the past couple years, but in a case like this I think it is more coaching+talent=wins, but I won't bag on Heath until we decline.  We've improved every year since he came here.  I don't think he'll be able to go 10-6 in the SEC again this year with the talent the league has this year.  But he has a great Non-con schedule lined up for us, we just have to win the winnable games and steal one here and there.  No losing to the Mississippi's this year.   

PigNewton

Quote from: BearclawHogs44 on July 07, 2006, 11:44:43 am

not if you save their legs for the next game.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Man with the talent we are getting and the coaches on staff we can finally realistically hope to get to the second round of the NCAA's.  Round of 32 here we come.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

HogKong

Rated #96 overall by rivals. 

Anyone in the top 150 is always a good get!

return2glory

Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

http://arkansas.scout.com/

The front page says that Kodi will delay his decision.

J_Ville_Devils_Den

Arkansas says that they want to "Further Evaluate" him, so he has opened back up his recruiting.

According to Rivals.com
Member Number:  #329

Major Payne: Do not attempt to valid my authority. I have eight weeks to turn you gaggling maggots into a well-discipline cadet unit. From this day forward your sorry asses belong to me. You will not eat, sleep, drink, blow your nose or dig in your buts without my say so. Know this, killing is my business, ladies, and business is good.

return2glory

The article made it sound like it was simply a numbers crunch and that Augustus is going to wait until to sign. I kind of wish we could have seen if Rakestraw would have walked on and then gone on scholarship next year.

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: J_Ville_Devils_Den on July 07, 2006, 02:46:10 pm
Arkansas says that they want to "Further Evaluate" him, so he has opened back up his recruiting.

According to Rivals.com

WHAT?

We took Rakestraw but we want to "further evaluate" one of the best players in Texas?

fu-man-soo

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on July 07, 2006, 10:07:27 am
man if we get James Anderson this is one great class.

Only thing we really need is a young true point guard for the future.
Maybe we can get one in next years class.

i am hearing james anderson is getting lots more attention after his last camp.  i hope we dont lose him.  from my sources in junction Florida just got stronger in the mix.

mossfan3

this is great.  at least we have rakestraw to fall back on.  wow

hogsmaster

Wow?!?  So a Top 100 player said he wanted to be a Hogs, but we told him to wait.  Wondering if the coaches have some inside info that James Anderson may make a commitment soon?

mossfan3

let them both commit today.  i don't care what has to happen, we should make that work.

snag

July 07, 2006, 03:38:50 pm #22 Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 03:40:30 pm by snag
As I said in an earlier post, we only have 2 scholarships to give away next year - unless someone falters academically or leaves early. One schollie has already been committed to Rakestraw. The leaves one to give. I'm thinking Anderson is our top choice. That's what can happen when you offer more scholarships than you have to give. The top guy is holding out because he has nothing to lose, then the guys below him decide to go elsewhere. Even if they are going to figure out how to give a total of three scholarships next year, that still means they can only sign two of the three players we are heavily recruiting - Anderson, Sanchez, and Augustus.

thahawg

I would rather have Augustus than Rakestraw.

What did Stan do? Recruit him telling him he has a spot for him and then tell him he can't be a Razorback when he is ready to committ?

nwarazfan

Recruiting vultures make another mistake trying to get the news out there first.

And isn't Sanchez enamored with KU?  Let him go.  Take KA and apologize for this episode.  Blame it on Grit.  Take Anderson too and hope that Townes has a huge year and goes to the NBA or cut a disappointment to make room for the 3rd signee.

thahawg

I say oversign by one and pull some shitie.

three

Quote from: snag on July 07, 2006, 11:40:38 am
Quote from: mbgrulz on July 07, 2006, 10:35:39 am

I agree. We haven't had a great SF since Scotty Thurman! Do you think there is any way Charles Thomas can develop himself into a SF? I think he needs to if he wants a future in the NBA. His shot is not that bad.
Chuck is kind of going to be like Corliss Williamson.......as far as transitioning to the NBA.  I don't think Chuck measures up to Big Nasty, and he may never even get a chance to play in the Association.  But, if he does, he'll have to be one of those college PFs who converted to SF in the NBA.  If you're familiar with Corliss' career, you know he's always been used as a SF.  When he's had the most success is when he's been used with 2 other genuine big men, and then they would isolate Corliss on the block with some smaller SF on him.  See his 6th Man of the Year season in Detroit.  I could be mistaken, but if my memory serves me right, they used Mehmet Okur as the 5 playing at the top of the key, and McDyess as the four hitting 15-footers, and Corliss worked the blocks in that line-up.
Worrying is like a rocking chair...it gives you something to do, but you don't get anywhere.

idochog

Take em all, the #s have a way of working themselves out!
I love Jesus!

Sao Ming

NWA, why is this Otis' fault?  What did he report about what the Heath Camp's intentions were relative to what they decided to do at the 11th hour?

nwarazfan

Quote from: Sao Ming on July 07, 2006, 04:39:06 pm
NWA, why is this Otis' fault?  What did he report about what the Heath Camp's intentions were relative to what they decided to do at the 11th hour?

I was saying that in jest.  But how does Otis know what Heath's intentions are unless he's being fed info against NCAA rules?

pioneerhog

All I got to say is Nate better be one helluva player because we have lost out on Augustus! On top of that we have hurt recruiting ties into Texas and with the AAU coach that coached Kodi's team.

thahawg

Quote from: pioneerhog on July 07, 2006, 05:24:50 pm
All I got to say is Nate better be one helluva player because we have lost out on Augustus! On top of that we have hurt recruiting ties into Texas and with the AAU coach that coached Kodi's team.

Exactly

nwarazfan

July 07, 2006, 05:31:16 pm #32 Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 06:18:15 pm by nwarazfan
Recruiting paparazzi embarrassed the kid by rushing out the story before it played out and now will try to blame our coaching staff. If this were a football recruit, full slander mode would already be started calling the kid a lazy, spoiled fat a** that was never offered.

pioneerhog

Quote from: nwarazfan on July 07, 2006, 05:31:16 pm
Recruiting paprazzi embarrassed the kid by rushing out the story before it played out and now will try to blame our coaching staff. If this were a football recruit, full slander mode would already be started calling the kid a lazy, spoiled fat a** that was never offered.
It isn't over yet. If something happenes and we decide that we do want Kodi and he turns his nose up at us don't be suprised if this type of thing happens.

JackJohnson

Quote from: pioneerhog on July 07, 2006, 05:24:50 pm

Nate doesn't belong in the same gym as Kodi.  HUGE mistake by Heath. 

I don't know why he always feels compelled to offer a McCurdy, Rakestraw, or keep Cranford on scholly.  WHEN YOU LOSE YOUR JOB B/C YOU PLAYED POLITICS, DON'T START CRYING!!!  If you win, it won't matter what your ratio is, NO ONE WILL CARE!!!

three

Quote from: nwarazfan on July 07, 2006, 05:17:46 pm
Quote from: Sao Ming on July 07, 2006, 04:39:06 pm

I was saying that in jest.  But how does Otis know what Heath's intentions are unless he's being fed info against NCAA rules?
My gosh, you might have something there!  Oh my, maybe that's what makes Otis an expert!?!?.......Are you saying you've never made that connection before?
Worrying is like a rocking chair...it gives you something to do, but you don't get anywhere.

nwarazfan

This is just another example of how this whole recruiting business- and it is big business- is getting out of control.  Scout, Rivals, Lemming, Emfinger, Grit,... are no better than the reporters at the Enquirer or Star or the E channel my wife watches all the time.  And it goes both ways as the players have their entourages with their press contacts and they are still in freakin' high school.  This time the kid and our program gets embarrassed. 

Hollywood_HOGan

Nate Rakestraw better be one heckuva bomber from three if we turned down a top 100 player for him.

He better be the next Al Dillard or Scotty THurman.

southeasthog

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on July 07, 2006, 05:51:22 pm
Nate Rakestraw better be one heckuva bomber from three if we turned down a top 100 player for him.

He better be the next Al Dillard or Scotty THurman.
Agreed!

silvertip

Well, I've read everything I can find here & on the recruiting board & I find very little in the way of real info.

All the hysterical comments about the coach's recruiting, Rakestraw vs Augustus, blah blah---just looks like another internet message board circle-jerk to me.

My SPECULATION, from what I've seen so far, is that one of the recruiting "gurus" such as Grit, picked up on a remark by either the kid or his coach. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if it was not yet a done deal in the eyes of the Hawg coaches.

Does anyone have any REAL info on the facts? If so, please tell us the source. Thanks

thahawg

Why can't we take Cranford off scholly?

silvertip

Quote from: nwarazfan on July 07, 2006, 05:31:16 pm
Recruiting paprazzi embarrassed the kid by rushing out the story before it played out and now will try to blame our coaching staff. If this were a football recruit, full slander mode would already be started calling the kid a lazy, spoiled fat a** that was never offered.

The most reasonable take on the situation that I've seen so far. Thanks

silvertip

Quote from: thahawg on July 07, 2006, 06:16:29 pm
Why can't we take Cranford off scholly?

Gee, I dunno, why hasn't your boss fired you yet?

nwarazfan

Slander has started.  Dudley says that KA lacks intensity. 

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: nwarazfan on July 07, 2006, 06:43:52 pm

Never ever fails.

Joe JOhnson lacked intensity also.

Razorback_Z71

Dudley is such an embarrassment for our state.   Give the kid a break he is probally only 16 or 17 years old.

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on July 07, 2006, 06:44:54 pm

Never ever fails.

Joe JOhnson lacked intensity also.

I thought Brewer did too.....

HatfieldHog

I just one intelligent question about this kid?

If you last name is Augustus, why don't you name the kid Ceaser?

Ha, Ha,   poor attempt at humor.              See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

The real Hogules

Where did you hear Dudley Dawson say or write that Kodi Augustus lacked intensity???
I subscribe to the H.I. web site, as well as this one and read every Dudley post  on there and have seen him speak only in high praise of the Augustus kid.
There "seems" to be something going on behind the scenes, apparently with another player (besides James Anderson, or in addition to J.A.).
That's just my opinion from reading between the lines in a couple of posts and I could be out in left field on this one.
Dudley Dawson even went as far as to compare Kodi Augustus' game to Tracy McGrady and said Kodi was very, very good.
Something BIG must have happened in the last 24-36 hours to make our basketball coaches ask K.A. to hold the line.
I guess we'll see how this all plays out.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

SwinedMelon

you people have no idea what you are talking about... you were praising Rakestraw the other day, and most of you had no idea who Kodi Augustus was. How do you know we haven't lined up someone else who is better than Kodi? How do you know how good Nate is? Have you seen any of the pickup games?

How do you think Rakestraw feels seeing some of the comments you are making? What about other recruits that we are looking at?

If you honestly know something about both these guys then I respect your opinion, but unless you have seen both of these guys play then you outta stop trashing these guys.
"Bar-keep, another go around again. One for me and whats-his-name, my new best friend!"