Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who is your favourite Hogs player of ALL-TIME?

Started by 40MinutesOfHellFOREVER, March 29, 2017, 07:22:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PORKULATOR

Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Sanctified Swine

I was first becoming a fan during the days of Alvin Robertson... loved cheering for him and hate what became of him. I also was a big fan of Darrell Walker from those days in between the Triplets and the MayDay years.... cant forget Oliver Miller..loved that guy

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Ironhawg on March 30, 2017, 01:18:43 pm
Without a doubt Sidney, Marvin and Ron Sr.  Those three guys started the ascent of Razorback basketball.
This /\x 1,000,000
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Inhogswetrust

I gotta say Big Joe from Slater Mo since I know him.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

BrooklynRoss

Quote from: farfromgroovins on March 30, 2017, 11:55:21 am
I was in kindergarten and my class took a field trip to a fire station. On their coffee table was the Sports Illustrated issue with Super Sid ("High on the Hogs") and I stopped for a glance. One of the firemen asked, "Do you know who that is?" which I excitedly answered "Sidney Moncrief!"
My teacher laughed and told him, "Oh yeah, Mr. <last name> knows all about basketball." He heard the last name and laughed himself because he knew my family (isn't growing up in small town Arkansas great!) and that my older brothers were gym rats so I was receiving an early education on Razorback basketball. I don't remember much about Sid being that young but I definitely knew the importance of him and the Triplets was on the program.

But, as far as the one I just couldn't get enough of was Alex Dillard. The range he had and the streaks he could go on were just amazing. You knew Sid, Corliss, Thurman, Day would do what they were going to do but when Dillard got in a zone.....game over! He could hit 2 or 3 quick ones forcing teams to readjust just making it impossible to guard everyone on the court.

That one LSU game when Dillard and Thurmond brought us back from the dead: http://www.arkansasfight.com/2014/3/4/5470012/celebrating-the-20th-anniversary-of-1994-overtime-at-lsu-revenge-in-fayetteville.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

BrooklynRoss

Quote from: farfromgroovins on March 30, 2017, 11:55:21 am
I was in kindergarten and my class took a field trip to a fire station. On their coffee table was the Sports Illustrated issue with Super Sid ("High on the Hogs") and I stopped for a glance. One of the firemen asked, "Do you know who that is?" which I excitedly answered "Sidney Moncrief!"
My teacher laughed and told him, "Oh yeah, Mr. <last name> knows all about basketball." He heard the last name and laughed himself because he knew my family (isn't growing up in small town Arkansas great!) and that my older brothers were gym rats so I was receiving an early education on Razorback basketball. I don't remember much about Sid being that young but I definitely knew the importance of him and the Triplets was on the program.

But, as far as the one I just couldn't get enough of was Alex Dillard. The range he had and the streaks he could go on were just amazing. You knew Sid, Corliss, Thurman, Day would do what they were going to do but when Dillard got in a zone.....game over! He could hit 2 or 3 quick ones forcing teams to readjust just making it impossible to guard everyone on the court.

That one LSU game when Dillard and Thurmond brought us back from the dead: http://www.arkansasfight.com/2014/3/4/5470012/celebrating-the-20th-anniversary-of-1994-overtime-at-lsu-revenge-in-fayetteville.
Quote from: gguillo on March 30, 2017, 12:03:59 pm
As far as on the court, Dwight Stewart.  Dwight had all kinds of game!  He'd take you inside & dunk on you or draw you out & drain a 3 over your head!  For a big dude, he played like a fast guard/forward combo & I love the way he played.

As far as personality + game = Kareem Reid.  I had a couple of classes with him at U of A and he could light up a room.  He was super funny & always had these great one-liner comebacks for just about anything.  Just an all around nice guy.

I played with Kareem Reid every day at the HPER for 3 or 4 semesters. He was indeed a cool dude. He'd hit you in the back of the head with a no-look pass, but then be totally chill about it and encourage you to expect it next time.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

rtr

Quote from: Gerald Gilber on March 30, 2017, 04:38:06 pm
Martin Terry, man he was fun to watch and had a great afro
Maybe the greatest afro of all time. He could flat out shoot the ball.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

TheRazorback500

Do you wanna get Rocked?

PonderinHog

hawganatic

Can't believe nobody has mentioned Roosevelt Wallace yet.  Nolan would give him the nod if a player on the other team needed a "hard foul."   Usually went in the game, and then right back out after "introducing" himself to said player...

farfromgroovins

HawgHeadCheese

Kareem Reid is my favorite but Brewer and Brandon Dean are 2 and 3 for me.

NoogaHog

Quote from: hawganatic on March 30, 2017, 10:11:22 pm
Can't believe nobody has mentioned Roosevelt Wallace yet.  Nolan would give him the nod if a player on the other team needed a "hard foul."   Usually went in the game, and then right back out after "introducing" himself to said player...

I did, reply #43. He had 5 fouls to give and was willing to share. We definitely need another one of these guys.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

The_Iceman

NoogaHog

Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

riccoar

311Hog

Lenzie Howell, or Arlyn Bowers  Ron Huery !

There are to many for me to pick

Kevin McPherson

* My favorite Hog all-time is the GOAT ... Sidney Moncrief.

The next lists are my opinion of Hogs' 25 all-time best players as Hogs, but I'm not including guys I didn't see play, like Martin Terry and Dean Tolson ...

* Top 5 Hogs all-time: 1. Super Sid, 2. Corliss Williamson, 3. Ron Brewer, Sr., 4. Lee Mayberry, 5. Scotty Thurman

* 6-10 Hogs all-time: 6. Todd Day, 7. Alvin Robertson, 8. Darrell Walker, 9. Marvin Delph, tie 10. Oliver Miller and Joe Kleine

* 12-25 Hogs all-time: 12. Corey Beck, 13. Joe Johnson, 14. Bobby Portis, 15. Scott Hastings, 16. Ronnie Brewer, Jr., 17. Ron Huery, 18. Williams Mills, 19. Andrew Lang, 20. U.S. Reed, 21. Kareem Reid, 22. Pat Bradley, 23. Moses Kingsley, 24. Rashad Ky Madden, 25. Sonny Weems

The next is my opinion of Hogs' 5 all-time best players combining Hog and pro careers

* 1. Super Sid, 2. Joe Johnson, 3. Alvin Robertson, 4. Corliss Williamson, 5. Ron Brewer, Sr.

The next list is my opinion of Hogs' 10 most exciting players to watch ...

* 1. Triplets as a group, 4. William Mills, 5. Al Dillard, 6. Tod Day, 7. Lee Mayberry, 8. Oliver Miller, 9. Big Nasty, tie 10. Scotty Thurman and Ron Huery

Jborohog09

Too many to name.  I've always been a big Brandon Dean guy.  Jonathon Modica was another fun one to watch.  I wasn't old enough to see him play live, but I've really enjoyed seeing Darrell Hawkins windmill dunks from games.

alohawg

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 30, 2017, 03:47:47 pm
Marvin Delph was my first favorite Hog.  He was probably the best pure shooter we ever had.  Imagine how many points he would have scored if the three point shot had existed back then.

Those too young have no idea just how true this is. Delph was so good and an important part of the triplets.
My fav is Sidney, followed by Marvin and Ron Sr..
Fav moment came from Scotty, of course.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

hawgdavis

hawgdavis

TNhogfan

1.  Dean Tolson & Martin Terry
2.  The Triplets

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Ironhawg on March 30, 2017, 01:18:43 pm
Without a doubt Sidney, Marvin and Ron Sr.  Those three guys started the ascent of Razorback basketball.

With a slight lean towards Delph for that. He came on faith and the belief that Eddie was going to turn it around as he said he would.

BigSexyHog

Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

BigSexyHog

Surprised to see so many Kareem Reid picks.  Don't remember him being much of a fan favorite during his time here but it's cool to see a few pick him.  Enjoyed the story about him in class. 

BigSexyHog

Quote from: 311Hog on March 31, 2017, 11:44:53 am
Lenzie Howell, or Arlyn Bowers  Ron Huery !

There are to many for me to pick

I thought for sure I would be the only one that would say Huery.   Loved the way he played.

pigsooie1000

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 31, 2017, 09:10:03 am
Dionisio Gomez!

.....no one?

was coming in here to say Gomez, but since he's taken will go Nate Rakestraw, Rashard Sullivan and Levan Patatsia.

but seriously, there are some old guys in here. I will go with top 5 of Dean, Beverley, Fortson, Kingsley, and Portis. Fortson and Beverley for on-court only obviously, but those guys absolutely got after it non-stop. others I've enjoyed for their continual improvement are D Johnson, Watkins, Clarke, and Anthlon. Brewer and Weems were on such unlikable teams that it sort of spread to them, sorry.

Dominicanhog

El Sid..Sir Sid.. Sid the Squid.. Sidney and SID.. NEEY MON.. CRIEEEF ... that's my top 5 in no particular order..

Rebound jams.. you don't see them much.. seemed as though Sidney did one a game.. and I loved him before he became the shooter he did in the NBA...

bigyellowdog

donk

Can I assume anyone that said anything other than Sidney didn't see him play?