Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Knowledgeable Razorbacks Fans-Please Answer-A question which plagues me to this

Started by 40MinutesOfHellFOREVER, March 26, 2017, 12:58:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

phadedhawg

QuoteFrank Broyles' unhappiness with Nolan Richardson began even as Richardson was winning the national championship tournament in 1994, when Richardson insulted CBS announcer Billy Packer in a post-game interview. Or so Broyles testified in a deposition taken in advance of the trial of Richardson's lawsuit against the University of Arkansas, which fired Richardson as basketball coach in 2002. Richardson, who is black, claims that racial discrimination was behind his dismissal. Broyles, the UA athletic director, who hired Richardson, testified that he'd come to believe that a change was needed because of statements made by Richardson that were damaging to the program.

When Richardson's lawyer, John W. Walker of Little Rock, asked about these comments, Broyles said: "The first one was during the national championship. His comments after the [NCAA tournament] games were, I think, devastating to the program. He made them consistently and then the one in particular I'm thinking about is when he embarrassed - I think embarrassed and the public thought embarrassed Billy Packer with his question - insulting question, after the game when he won the championship. ... Billy Packer asked him a question and he insulted Billy Packer with the answer." Broyles said he didn't remember Packer's exact question. Walker said it was something to the effect that "Well, Coach, I see where you moved from the 1-3-1 defense to something else." Broyles said Richardson's reply was something like "Well, even a blind man could see that, Billy." Broyles said he didn't discuss Richardson's comment with Richardson - he wasn't asked if he discussed it with Packer - but "Other people talked to me about it." (The exchange actually occurred after the semifinal game with Arizona, rather than the championship game with Duke. Incidentally, this was the same tournament during which Packer insulted then-President Bill Clinton, a Razorback fan, although not to Clinton's face. When the TV cameras focused on Clinton in the stands, Packer sneered "Doesn't he have anything better to do?")

Broyles said there were other offensive comments from Richardson, including one in which Richardson called Razorback fans "turds and posters." There was also a reference to "redneck SOBs," Broyles said. (Broyles said he coached football for 17 years, never used a word of profanity and still doesn't.) These and other statements by Richardson hurt recruiting, the fan base and team morale, Broyles said. Broyles said he had a dispute with Richardson in 1998 concerning a Reebok contract with the UA to provide athletic apparel. Richardson felt that a change in inventory control lessened his authority, and said that he didn't want to deal again with Katie Hill, Jesse Branch or Bill Gray, all athletic department employees, but to report to Broyles only, Broyles said. He said Richardson became angrier the more he talked, and eventually shouted "Just fire me and pay me off. I want to be fired." Broyles said he replied that Richardson's remark was ridiculous, that he had no reason to fire him. "His comment was, 'Then by my actions, I will give you reasons to fire me.' " Broyles said that Richardson had a run-in with Danny Ford while Ford was the Razorback football coach. "Mr. Ford told me that Mr. Richardson told him not to expect any help from him in recruiting any football players ever again. He called him a redneck ... " The incident had to do with an athlete on a football scholarship who was playing basketball, Broyles said. Ford was fired before Richardson, and replaced by Houston Nutt. Broyles said that a friend, Jim Lindsey, told him that another friend of Lindsey's had wondered aloud what difference there was "between a redneck SOB and an 'N' SOB." (Lindsey is now a member of the UA Board of Trustees. Broyles said he was not a trustee at the time of the remark but was a member of the board of the Razorback Foundation.) Broyles said he repeated this remark at a banquet while making the point that both terms are offensive. He said that he had mistakenly used the word "person" during the banquet address, and should have used "the N word" instead. Around 1997 or '98, Richardson told Broyles that he didn't want Ted Harrod involved with basketball recruitment, Broyles said. Harrod, a Dallas businessman, was a fan and contributor to the athletic program. Sometime after Richardson's warning, Harrod's hiring and overpayment of Razorback athletes for summer employment got the UA in trouble with the NCAA. Richardson also told Broyles that Broyles would be in trouble if he "continued to support Elbert Crawford," Broyles said. He gave no explanation. Crawford is, or was, a sports agent.

Broyles said that by 2000, he thought it was time for a change. Attendance, wins and contributions all were dropping, he said, and there was a problem selling Richardson's TV show to sponsors. People were still buying tickets, but some were saying they wouldn't attend the games until Richardson was gone, Broyles said. Walker asked, "Did you intend to terminate Mr. Richardson before he won the SEC tournament in the year 2000?" Broyles replied "I discussed with my superiors that that should be considered. ... The university said it was impossible, we shouldn't do it, is my best recollection." Walker asked "Would he have been fired if he had not turned it around?" Broyles said "I would have proceeded that way, yes." The trial is scheduled to begin at 8:30 a.m. May 5 in federal Judge William R. Wilson Jr.'s court in Little Rock. It will be a non-jury trial.

http://www.arktimes.com/arkansas/frank-unhappy-with-nolan-for-a-long-time/Content?oid=949798

It's breathtaking how toxic the situation was and how petty Broyles could be...

HogFoo

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 29, 2017, 12:49:30 pm
Crawford and his AAU pack had a lot to do with this. Lewis and Carter were pursued. Lewis was considered priority at the time. I knew people who were friends with both Nolan and his staff and they said that Lewis was the one guy they wanted above all else.

Lewis himself says that the staff didn't pursue him hard at all. Who knows? It wasn't long after that when Nolan started saying stuff about not bowing down to 18 year olds to get them to commit. As with nearly all stories, the truth probably lies somewhere in between the two versions that were/are told.

I always found it interesting that Lewis went to a program that got destroyed by the NCAA for big time cheating during the time Lewis played there. Probably just coincidence though.

Carter was given a conditional offer but chose to commit to Ole Miss and sign in the fall rather than wait. Who can blame him? But Carter only won a grand total of one Ncaa tournament game.

The rise of AAU handlers and the NCAA investigation made it harder to recruit, but we were still landing good players afterward.

The Scott Edgar effect is a myth. Edgar was head coach at Murray State in 1991. Elmer Martin was the last Memphis kid Edgar got. Corey Beck and Dwight Stewart came to campus in 91-92 after playing a year of Juco in Texas. They sat out a year while getting eligible because they came before getting an associates degree from junior college so they ended up with 3 years of eligibility. Edgar was gone so they didn't come here for him.

Matter of fact, Edgar had zero to do with the best ever recruiting class that was the 95 class.

Basically, Edgar contributed very little to the Championship team.
Well I'd have to say that I agree with most of this.  Well except for the importance of Scott Edgar. It was no myth.  You are right he did go to be HC at Murray st. in 91' , but  being as how Scott Edgars'  main recruiting territories were Memphis and the panhandle of texas! Which if you go look where Southplains college(where Corey/Dwight were) is in Texas,  you'll see its in the panhandle. ;-)   So, yeah, i'd say he was a big contributor to getting corey beck and Dwight Stewart  here even though he wasn't here when they got here because he left to go coach Murray st.  But he played a part in getting them here and we all know how they played a part in getting us the championship.   But his effects were felt even before that. Building up the team right up until the 90 Final Four team.  He was our Boss in the Memphis area.  Which both  corey and Dwight were originally FROM Memphis area before going to a JUCO in the panhandle of texas. Make no mistake ,When that Memphis door shut, we lost out on a lot! 

Having the  #1 player in America living in Russellville( and he was a Hog to the bone for years.  Unlike some of these traitors who have left the state) was as big a part of us winning the Championship and playing for a repeat as anything.  We haven't had the #1 player come thru this state since.    Especially someone who could play down low. That is important as well! Portis was the closest thing probably.  Monk was a top 5 guy, but i'd take Corliss over anyone we've had come out of the state since. The success we had in recruiting that built that "greatest class of all time" in 95-96' was due mostly because we had just won the National Title and Played for it again the following season.  I'm still Not sure why Nolan went after sooo many recruits who didn't qualify. That line of thinking still baffles me.  We had like 10 recruits in that class and what maybe 3-4 survived?   Of course like I said, not having the best recruiter or replacing him with another top recruiter, the Ncaa changing rules that looked like they were DIRECTLY aimed at us (hand check)  also, adding all these timeouts (30second).  I don't think the NCAA was singling us out, but dang, those rules hurt us more than probably ANY school in the country! It killed Nolan's 'street fight' gameplan.  The bogus investigation that amounted to didley squat.  Quincy Lewis leaving the state to go to a dirty Minnesota school.    There was just a whole lot of things that contributed to the downfall of the Hogs.  It's like you go down a list of items that could happen to kill one of the winningest programs , in fact for a brief year or two, we WERE the winningest program in basketball!!  But , you could just go down a list of things that could kill a program, and it's like we hit every single bullet point on that list!  Talk about some extreme bad luck of circumstance.   

Again, it looks as if we have FINALLY turned the corner.  In the last 5yrs, Arkansas per capita was #6 in producing top recruits per state.  That was just in the last 5yrs.  The next 5 yrs looks to be even greater than that with all the potential in the recruiting classes.  That's why  the future is so bright at Arkansas right now.  Mike has us trending up again, we are garnishing national attention again, and we have recruits in place INSIDE OUR STATE (now if only football had as many haha) and coming to build upon our current success.   You cant ask for much more than that.  Only that wishing it could have been done sooner.    I hate mentioning that traitors name.  He was good, and had he came here we probably would have still been playing in the final four.  Articles like the one that was posted a day or so ago about his time in Lepanto.  that is just BS.  The whole idea they were pushing about how he 'had to get out of Lepanto to make it in life"  was basically them also pushing the line he had to get out of Arkansas.  PPPffftttt!  whatever!  He could have had the exact same success he had there as he here.  In fact, he probably would have had more.(we'd still be playing in the tournament I have no doubt)  He'd be drafted into the same spot if not higher had he came here and he would have made our rise back into a national power a year sooner.  But, it wasn't good enough.  So, it is what it is.  Marcus and Malik can go suck rocks.  I do like the Grandfather sporting his Hog hat in the story though. =-)  You could tell he didn't like what Malik did at all. 
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

phadedhawg

I do agree with the sentiment that things feel better in the program.  The growing pains were slow and difficult under Anderson but the trend is going up. 

The Kentucky/Dickey V incident and the UNC official debacle ignited anger in me that couldn't exist if I no longer cared.  This year I was surprised to discover that I truly care again after apathy had been the emotion I most strongly associated with me and the basketball program. 

I'm already looking forward to November and scores that need to be settled.   

ShadowHawg

Quote from: HogFoo on March 29, 2017, 04:58:37 pm
Well I'd have to say that I agree with most of this.  Well except for the importance of Scott Edgar. It was no myth.  You are right he did go to be HC at Murray st. in 91' , but  being as how Scott Edgars'  main recruiting territories were Memphis and the panhandle of texas! Which if you go look where Southplains college(where Corey/Dwight were) is in Texas,  you'll see its in the panhandle. ;-)   So, yeah, i'd say he was a big contributor to getting corey beck and Dwight Stewart  here even though he wasn't here when they got here because he left to go coach Murray st.  But he played a part in getting them here and we all know how they played a part in getting us the championship.   But his effects were felt even before that. Building up the team right up until the 90 Final Four team.  He was our Boss in the Memphis area.  Which both  corey and Dwight were originally FROM Memphis area before going to a JUCO in the panhandle of texas. Make no mistake ,When that Memphis door shut, we lost out on a lot! 

Having the  #1 player in America living in Russellville( and he was a Hog to the bone for years.  Unlike some of these traitors who have left the state) was as big a part of us winning the Championship and playing for a repeat as anything.  We haven't had the #1 player come thru this state since.    Especially someone who could play down low. That is important as well! Portis was the closest thing probably.  Monk was a top 5 guy, but i'd take Corliss over anyone we've had come out of the state since. The success we had in recruiting that built that "greatest class of all time" in 95-96' was due mostly because we had just won the National Title and Played for it again the following season.  I'm still Not sure why Nolan went after sooo many recruits who didn't qualify. That line of thinking still baffles me.  We had like 10 recruits in that class and what maybe 3-4 survived?   Of course like I said, not having the best recruiter or replacing him with another top recruiter, the Ncaa changing rules that looked like they were DIRECTLY aimed at us (hand check)  also, adding all these timeouts (30second).  I don't think the NCAA was singling us out, but dang, those rules hurt us more than probably ANY school in the country! It killed Nolan's 'street fight' gameplan.  The bogus investigation that amounted to didley squat.  Quincy Lewis leaving the state to go to a dirty Minnesota school.    There was just a whole lot of things that contributed to the downfall of the Hogs.  It's like you go down a list of items that could happen to kill one of the winningest programs , in fact for a brief year or two, we WERE the winningest program in basketball!!  But , you could just go down a list of things that could kill a program, and it's like we hit every single bullet point on that list!  Talk about some extreme bad luck of circumstance.   

Again, it looks as if we have FINALLY turned the corner.  In the last 5yrs, Arkansas per capita was #6 in producing top recruits per state.  That was just in the last 5yrs.  The next 5 yrs looks to be even greater than that with all the potential in the recruiting classes.  That's why  the future is so bright at Arkansas right now.  Mike has us trending up again, we are garnishing national attention again, and we have recruits in place INSIDE OUR STATE (now if only football had as many haha) and coming to build upon our current success.   You cant ask for much more than that.  Only that wishing it could have been done sooner.    I hate mentioning that traitors name.  He was good, and had he came here we probably would have still been playing in the final four.  Articles like the one that was posted a day or so ago about his time in Lepanto.  that is just BS.  The whole idea they were pushing about how he 'had to get out of Lepanto to make it in life"  was basically them also pushing the line he had to get out of Arkansas.  PPPffftttt!  whatever!  He could have had the exact same success he had there as he here.  In fact, he probably would have had more.(we'd still be playing in the tournament I have no doubt)  He'd be drafted into the same spot if not higher had he came here and he would have made our rise back into a national power a year sooner.  But, it wasn't good enough.  So, it is what it is.  Marcus and Malik can go suck rocks.  I do like the Grandfather sporting his Hog hat in the story though. =-)  You could tell he didn't like what Malik did at all.

Beck and Stewart didn't come for Edgar though. He was gone and what is significant about that is that they had to pay their own way while they sat out.

The claim was that recruiting went down because of Edgar but history doesn't bear that out. We signed more McDonald's All Americans without Edgar and our highest rated classes came after Edgar as well.

That's not to say he didn't do a fantastic job at all because he was good, but 4 years after his leaving we were recruiting at a high level so obviously his departure wasn't that big of a deal.

What shut Memphis down was Finch followed by Calipari even though Cal didn't have a bunch of Memphis kids. We still got Townes in 95 without Edgar. The pool dried up after that.

We also lost the Texas kids along with Tulsa when Sampson took over at OU.

There were a lot of factors outside the program that dried up our regional stranglehold on talent. The landscape changed for a host of reasons.

But I do agree with a lot of what you have said, don get me wrong.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: phadedhawg on March 29, 2017, 02:36:00 pm
http://www.arktimes.com/arkansas/frank-unhappy-with-nolan-for-a-long-time/Content?oid=949798

It's breathtaking how toxic the situation was and how petty Broyles could be...

Broyles was out of touch if he really thought that Nolan's remarks to Packer harmed the program in any way. The boosters who were embarrassed were probably the same ones who never liked Nolan to begin with.

Biggus Piggus

It's very hard for older coaches to keep it rolling. In the past 12 seasons, Jim Boeheim's teams have lost 10+ games eight times. Syracuse lost 42 games in the past three years. In his last six seasons at Indiana, Bob Knight averaged double-digit losses. Gary Williams finished his career with a long run of mediocrity. Same with Norm Stewart.

Had they not ramped up the one-and-dones, Roy Williams and Mike Krzyzewski would be doing the same thing.

As much as we want to focus on details about Nolan's last seasons, it's the way of things. Younger coaches and fresher programs rise up and beat down the old standards.
[CENSORED]!

rude1

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 29, 2017, 12:49:30 pm
Crawford and his AAU pack had a lot to do with this. Lewis and Carter were pursued. Lewis was considered priority at the time. I knew people who were friends with both Nolan and his staff and they said that Lewis was the one guy they wanted above all else.

Lewis himself says that the staff didn't pursue him hard at all. Who knows? It wasn't long after that when Nolan started saying stuff about not bowing down to 18 year olds to get them to commit. As with nearly all stories, the truth probably lies somewhere in between the two versions that were/are told.

I always found it interesting that Lewis went to a program that got destroyed by the NCAA for big time cheating during the time Lewis played there. Probably just coincidence though.

Carter was given a conditional offer but chose to commit to Ole Miss and sign in the fall rather than wait. Who can blame him? But Carter only won a grand total of one ZERO Ncaa tournament game.

The rise of AAU handlers and the NCAA investigation made it harder to recruit, but we were still landing good players afterward.

The Scott Edgar effect is a myth. Edgar was head coach at Murray State in 1991. Elmer Martin was the last Memphis kid Edgar got. Corey Beck and Dwight Stewart came to campus in 91-92 after playing a year of Juco in Texas. They sat out a year while getting eligible because they came before getting an associates degree from junior college so they ended up with 3 years of eligibility. Edgar was gone so they didn't come here for him.

Matter of fact, Edgar had zero to do with the best ever recruiting class that was the 95 class.

Basically, Edgar contributed very little to the Championship team.
Fixed that for you. That was the thing, while everyone here was crying about those great Arkansas kids playing at Ole Miss, they didn't win not a single NCAA tourney game, our program had slipped and it wasn't that Ole Miss was on some great rise.............