Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is Kenny Irons really that good?

Started by UAfan, July 01, 2006, 10:41:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

UAfan

I mean yeah I know he is a good powerful running back, but in all the magazines I've been reading he has been picked for 2nd team all american.  I'm not being biased but I think dmac is a better running back.

hawgfan80

I completely agree. There is no doubt Irons is good, but McFadden is better.

Boss Hogg

Do you remember his coming out game??

Ross U (HDHF)

I like to think that Irons does well b/c he operates in an offense that creates room for him to run.  Not to say he isn't a good player (he is very good), but do you think he could have had the year DMac had with our offensive system?  I tend to think not.  I have a feeling there will be no doubt who is better after this season.

Boss Hogg

IRONS
YEAR   ATT    YDS    AVG   LNG     TD     REC     YDS    AVG      LNG    TD    FUM    LST
2005    256    1293    5.1    74    13    14    164    11.7    23    0    0    0

MCFADDEN
YEAR   ATT    YDS    AVG   LNG     TD     REC    YDS    AVG    LNG    TD    FUM    LST
2005    176    1113    6.3    70    11    14    52    3.7    12    0    0    0

wincrimson

I actually think that Irons is the 3rd best RB in the league.

McFadden (the best IMO) and Darby had very little to work with. Both the Bama and Arkansas offenses were pretty stagnant while Irons had the benefit of a more wide open style.

Here's how it shakes out in my eyes:

1. McFadden
2. Darby
3. Irons
4. Brown
5. Little

J.A.Y.

I too agree Irons is a good back, but he had way more to work with.  Biased or not Dmac is the best back in the SEC.
There are Three things in life that matter... GOD, Family and the Arkansas Razorbacks.

The rest you can deal with if you have any time left over.

Ross U (HDHF)

Quote from: wincrimson on July 01, 2006, 11:47:54 pm

McFadden (the best IMO) and Darby had very little to work with. Both the Bama and Arkansas offenses were pretty stagnant while Irons had the benefit of a more wide open style.

1. McFadden
2. Darby
3. Irons
4. Brown
5. Little

Exactly.  It's a little different to go for 1000+ when the other team *knows* you're going to run every down.

wincrimson

Quote from: HopelesslyDevotedHogFan on July 01, 2006, 11:50:27 pm
Quote from: wincrimson on July 01, 2006, 11:47:54 pm

1. McFadden
2. Darby
3. Irons
4. Brown
5. Little

Exactly.  It's a little different to go for 1000+ when the other team *knows* you're going to run every down.

True.

Also, remember, Irons was a JR last season. There is a lot of difference between a JR and a FR.

Atreyu

Quote from: Boss Hogg on July 01, 2006, 11:44:28 pm
IRONS
YEAR   ATT    YDS    AVG   LNG     TD     REC     YDS    AVG      LNG    TD    FUM    LST
2005    256    1293    5.1    74    13    14    164    11.7    23    0    0    0

MCFADDEN
YEAR   ATT    YDS    AVG   LNG     TD     REC    YDS    AVG    LNG    TD    FUM    LST
2005    176    1113    6.3    70    11    14    52    3.7    12    0    0    0

BAM!

+1
1 by 1, we loaded our guns
up on the mountain all day
and all through the night
HEYHEYHEY

Corkscrew Johnson

July 02, 2006, 08:07:25 am #10 Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 10:22:58 am by Corkscrew Johnson
Auburn had a devasting OL last year.  McNeill was a hoss.  They were the only SEC team last season that just flat out dominated our defense in the trenches.   But they lost three starters from that OL.  Irons is a tough runner, but let's see how good he will be without those bulldozers.

Atreyu

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on July 02, 2006, 08:07:25 am
Auburn had a devasting OL last year.  McNeill was a hoss.  They were the only SEC team last season that just flat out dominated our defense in the trenches.   But they lost three starters from that OL.  Darby is a tough runner, but let's see how good he will be without those bulldozers.

You're a little mixed up, buddy. Darby doesn't play for Auburn.
1 by 1, we loaded our guns
up on the mountain all day
and all through the night
HEYHEYHEY

Corkscrew Johnson

Hog Gumbo

This is simple he plays for Auburn not Arkansas, hence the better pub with the media types.

Many true observers of the game will tell you that DMac is better cause of what he did in the system and circumstances that he found himelf in and its remember DMAC was not fully utilized early on.

"If "Ark transitions into a balanced and effect attact there will be little doubt at the end of the season whose the best back in the league.

O'Squeal

When we start winning the big games and start getting noticed nationally that will be when DMac and the rest of the crew will get their kudos........ :razorback:
Opinions are like a$$holes...everyone has one and they all stink.

Boss Hogg

If you project McFadden's numbers up to the 256 attempts that Irons had...he'd have 1617 yards and 16 touchdowns...

WilsonHog

There is one other reason behind the attention Irons is receiving.

Auburn finished 9-3 and tied for the SEC West championship. They'll also likely be rated in the Top 10 in most polls.

With team success comes individual publicity. If we go 9-3 or better and tie for or win the West this year, McFadden will have all of the attention he can stand. If we go 6-6 or 7-5, another 1,200 yard season won't help him much.   

werehog

July 02, 2006, 01:14:08 pm #17 Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 01:15:40 pm by werehog
Yes, Irons is that good. So is DMac. Both are great backs.

PorkSoda

I always felt Irons wouldn't have near the publicity if he didn't play at Auburn.  Whoever Auburn would have had at running back would have got hyped.  Thats what happens when you run a nationally contending program.  Mcfadden had similar numbers as a true freshman splitting time with hillis and felix. With 8 in the box every play.  If Mcfadden played at Auburn what would his stats be?  probably zip because they would have been redshirted.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

jvegashawg

Irons is good.  I think D-Mac is better.  But both will be tested in the fall as they both came out of nowhere to excel last year.  This year nobody will be caught off guard. 

Pork Twain

I think the SEC could have 3 of the top 5 running backs from the NCAA.  A-train is at the top and you can sprinkle Darby, D-Mac and Irons in there anywhere.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

wincrimson

Quote from: Hawianiceman on July 02, 2006, 12:18:56 am
Darby is overrated. He's in a running offensive system and he still didn't do that much last year. But I agree with this, "I like to think that Irons does well b/c he operates in an offense that creates room for him to run." Totally true if our offense was as good as Auburn than HDN would still just the ball off to DMAC and he would've have tore off for 1,500 + yds.

Don't forget about this guy, RB Rafael Little. Widely considered the best all-around back in the SEC.

2005    197    1045    5.3    65    9    46    449    9.8    65    0    0    0

The thing is, Darby works for EVERY yard he gets. Our offensive line was one of the worst in the nation last year yet Darby put out shittacular numbers.

No, he's certainly not overrated.

geoffhog

I truly believe Mcfadden is the best back in the SEC and will possibly be the best in the nation before he's done. Darby and Irons are 2nd and 3rd, not sure what order.
"I was born to be a Razorback." -Darren Mcfadden

rlamb

NO,  he's not that good.  He was fortunate enough to have the best offensive line in the SEC in front of him last year.  Maybe this year too, but McFadden would hurt him in one on one's.

SoonerPride

Hog fans you do have something special in McFadden but your going a little too far now.  I'm not saying Irons is that much better if any than McFadden but I do find it very funny that you had to start a thread, too hear the same response from everyone.  Of course you all are going to say McFadden is better!  But he isn't... not yet anyways.

e_dub

Quote from: SoonerPride on July 03, 2006, 01:15:24 am
Hog fans you do have something special in McFadden but your going a little too far now.  I'm not saying Irons is that much better if any than McFadden but I do find it very funny that you had to start a thread, too hear the same response from everyone.  Of course you all are going to say McFadden is better!  But he isn't... not yet anyways.

Give your rationale

SoonerPride

Quote from: e_dub on July 03, 2006, 01:18:49 am

Give your rationale

Ok, easy.  Kenny Irons is a senior and although he hasn't got a chance to be proven over several years(thank you Cadillac and Brown) he is a senior.  He's been in the system for 3 years now.

If, and this is a big if... but if McFadden can shake the curse of past stud young RB's that Arkansas has had over the years then he will be better than Irons.  But tell me, when have the Hogs had a running back that had a very good freshman and/or sophomore year, and also finished out his career as a good running back??

Right now I'd take Kenny Irons on my team, it's an easy choice.

nwarkboyz#1

Quote from: SoonerPride on July 03, 2006, 01:28:34 am

Give your rationale

Ok, easy.  Kenny Irons is a senior and although he hasn't got a chance to be proven over several years(thank you Cadillac and Brown) he is a senior.  He's been in the system for 3 years now.

If, and this is a big if... but if McFadden can shake the curse of past stud young RB's that Arkansas has had over the years then he will be better than Irons.  But tell me, when have the Hogs had a running back that had a very good freshman and/or sophomore year, and also finished out his career as a good running back??

first of all you asked if Arkansas has ever had a back that started out well and ended well. Yes we have. his name is Cedric Cobb's, Cobb's in his freshman year broke the previous rushing record with over 600 yards, at the start of his Senior year was rated 4th in the Heisman watch(that is until he hurt his knee or as most hog fans know it "black October" ). C-4 was drafted by the pats and yada, yada, yada, happy ever after. now as for the best back in the SEC, well i would have to say that would be Darby and D-MAC for a two way tie. Win crimson had a very good point about Darby that he fought for ever yard that he got, and watching him play is very entertaining b/c he is one of the hardest to bring down, but on the other hand you have the young Darren McFadden who had a great ,no, record breaking freshman year, and is one of the fastest backs in the league, i think to most pepole in the SEC(beside auburn fans of coarse) Kenny irons is just another fart in the wind.
You wanna know what the hardest thing about being an Ole Miss fan is?........ Telling you're parents that you're gay!..... Arkansas football is my passion. Hating colonel REB is more like a hobby of mine.

Richard_white

Quote from: nwarkboyz#1 on July 03, 2006, 03:20:27 am

Give your rationale

first of all you asked if Arkansas has ever had a back that started out well and ended well. Yes we have. his name is Cedric Cobb's, Cobb's in his freshman year broke the previous rushing record with over 600 yards, at the start of his Senior year was rated 4th in the Heisman watch(that is until he hurt his knee or as most hog fans know it "black October" ). C-4 was drafted by the pats and yada, yada, yada, happy ever after. now as for the best back in the SEC, well i would have to say that would be Darby and D-MAC for a two way tie. Win crimson had a very good point about Darby that he fought for ever yard that he got, and watching him play is very entertaining b/c he is one of the hardest to bring down, but on the other hand you have the young Darren McFadden who had a great ,no, record breaking freshman year, and is one of the fastest backs in the league, i think to most pepole in the SEC(beside auburn fans of coarse) Kenny irons is just another fart in the wind.

You also have to consider that DMAC could had more rushing yards if we had a balance offense last year.  I bet we don't see 8 or 9 men in the box this year.

geoffhog

[/quote]
[/quote]

You can have him and his 5.1 ypc. I wouldn't trade Mcfadden (6.3 ypc) for anyone, including Adrian Peterson.
"I was born to be a Razorback." -Darren Mcfadden

Hollywood_HOGan

McFadden is something very very special. I just hope he can stay healthy. We have another back that averaged 6.3 YPC that could probably be ranked in the top 5 backs in the SEC. He is tulsa's own Felix Jones.

Of course you are going to think we're biased but based on McFadden's performances against GOOD defenses (bama, Georgia, Auburn) and considering the defense knew we were going to run, I'd say Darren did very very well for himself.
His running style is very Petersonish.
Before you come back and give us that "my gosh how can you think anyone can come close to Adrian?" His running style is very much like AP in that he runs upright through the holes in the OL.

He's probably not as big or as strong as AP but he is every bit as fast.

HOpefully people will find out nationally about Darren on 9-2-06.

Just be glad you dont have to face McFadden, Darby, and Irons in the patsy conference of the Big 12.

camelt

DMAC also did not play much against our weaker non conference opponents.  His yards came during the meat of the schedule in a one dimensional offense.  I always said if you could have a back that was a cross between Cobbs and Tally you would have a stud.  I think that is exactly what DMAC is. 

PennHOG

Quote from: Boss Hogg on July 01, 2006, 11:37:26 pm

How can I forget.  The Razorback could not stop him in the second half of that game last year.  Before that no one really noticed him.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

jvegashawg

Give your rationale

Why would you take a senior over a sophomore when they are on par results wise?  Why not take the guy who has at least another year left?

I'd take McFadden.  It's an easy choice.  And I bet it would be for most every SEC fan who doesn't chant War Eagle.

That being said, you're generally right about our freshmen running backs having explosive freshmen years and then never living up to the promise.  Cobbs (although he had a good senior year) and Howard come to mind immediately.  Maybe we could use a running backs coach. 

cbjagman

Hey SoonerPride, If I'm not mistaken (and if I am it certainly wouldn't be the first time), K Irons hasn't been at Auburn all his college career. Don't I recall him being a transfer from So. Carolina a couple of years back? If so, your comment concerning his having to sit behind R. Brown and C. Williams is not totally accurate. That being said, no doubt Irons is a very special back. It will be interesting to see how he does this year, especially early, behind an OL that is not quite as experienced as it was last year.

WilsonHog

SoonerFan has a point about longevity of success. There have been a lot of great Arkansas running backs in the modern era. Dickey Morton, Ike Forte, Ben Cowins, Gary Anderson, James Rouse, Barry Foster, Madre Hill, Fred Talley, and Cedric Cobbs come immediately to mind.

McFadden may turn out to be the best running back in Razorback history. However, the young man who many people thought was the most talented running back to ever wear a Razorback uniform isn't even on the list I just made.     

Swino

I was wondering why you didn't include Ju Ju.

SoonerPride

Give your rationale

You just disproved yourself by saying Cobbs was having a very good senior year until he hurt his knee.  Maybe next time you'll think out your thoughts a little more.  Cobbs had a spectacular frosh. year only to be riddled with injuries the rest of his career.  I guess Kenny Irons making first or second team AA in many publications means he is a "fart in the wind" as you say, and if that's true then I'd love to be a fart in the wind.

Quote from: jvegashawg on July 03, 2006, 10:17:28 am

Give your rationale

Why would you take a senior over a sophomore when they are on par results wise?  Why not take the guy who has at least another year left?

If I had to pick one back from the SEC for just this season, then I'd take Kenny Irons.  If I was planning for the future then yes, I'd take McFadden.

Quote from: cbjagman on July 03, 2006, 10:45:00 am
Hey SoonerPride, If I'm not mistaken (and if I am it certainly wouldn't be the first time), K Irons hasn't been at Auburn all his college career.

Yes, Irons did transfer from SC, but I'm not sure at what point in his career he did so.  I don't know if he did after his frosh. year or when.

Hollywood_HOGan

[/quote]

You just disproved yourself by saying Cobbs was having a very good senior year until he hurt his knee.  Maybe next time you'll think out your thoughts a little more.  Cobbs had a spectacular frosh. year only to be riddled with injuries the rest of his career.  I guess Kenny Irons making first or second team AA in many publications means he is a "fart in the wind" as you say, and if that's true then I'd love to be a fart in the wind.

[/quote]

Cobbs was out for a game or two but ended up with over 1300 yards that year.

He barely missed breaking Madre Hill's Arkansas rushing record that year.

hogsNbeer

I dont' know who is the best..... Don't know what Irons would do behind our OLine, and dont' know what McFadden would do behind Auburn's OLine.........    I've always believed your running backs will only go as far as their OLine will let them......   Tailbacks behind GREAT Offensive Lines really don't impress me....What impresses me are tailbacks that don't have great OLines that do well.......   That's why I've always thought Walter Payton was the best Running back ever....... He really didn't have the Offensive line that Emmit Smith had at Dallas........ Emmit has the yards, but I think from head to toe, Payton outshined Smith.......JMO......

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: hogsNbeer on July 03, 2006, 03:11:54 pm
I dont' know who is the best..... Don't know what Irons would do behind our OLine, and dont' know what McFadden would do behind Auburn's OLine.........    I've always believed your running backs will only go as far as their OLine will let them......   Tailbacks behind GREAT Offensive Lines really don't impress me....What impresses me are tailbacks that don't have great OLines that do well.......   That's why I've always thought Walter Payton was the best Running back ever....... He really didn't have the Offensive line that Emmit Smith had at Dallas........ Emmit has the yards, but I think from head to toe, Payton outshined Smith.......JMO......

Best tailback with crappy OL?

Barry freakin Sanders

It was like a highlight film watching every game he played in.

southeasthog

Give your rationale

Ok, easy.  Kenny Irons is a senior and although he hasn't got a chance to be proven over several years(thank you Cadillac and Brown) he is a senior.  He's been in the system f

Quote from: jvegashawg on July 03, 2006, 10:17:28 am

Give your rationale

If I had to pick one back from the SEC for just this season, then I'd take Kenny Irons.  If I was planning for the future then yes, I'd take McFadden.

Quote from: cbjagman on July 03, 2006, 10:45:00 am
Hey SoonerPride, If I'm not mistaken (and if I am it certainly wouldn't be the first time), K Irons hasn't been at Auburn all his college career.

Yes, Irons did transfer from SC, but I'm not sure at what point in his career he did so.  I don't know if he did after his frosh. year or when.
Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on July 03, 2006, 03:09:27 pm

[/quote]

Cobbs was out for a game or two but ended up with over 1300 yards that year.

He barely missed breaking Madre Hill's Arkansas rushing record that year.
[/quote]Thanks HH, I was just going to point that out.

hogsNbeer

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on July 03, 2006, 03:13:56 pm
Quote from: hogsNbeer on July 03, 2006, 03:11:54 pm
I dont' know who is the best..... Don't know what Irons would do behind our OLine, and dont' know what McFadden would do behind Auburn's OLine.........    I've always believed your running backs will only go as far as their OLine will let them......   Tailbacks behind GREAT Offensive Lines really don't impress me....What impresses me are tailbacks that don't have great OLines that do well.......   That's why I've always thought Walter Payton was the best Running back ever....... He really didn't have the Offensive line that Emmit Smith had at Dallas........ Emmit has the yards, but I think from head to toe, Payton outshined Smith.......JMO......

Best tailback with crappy OL?

Barry freakin Sanders

It was like a highlight film watching every game he played in.

He's one also...

nwarkboyz#1

sooner pride I'm not sure that Cedric was ever a "frosh", but I'm for sure that he had a hell of a year as a senior, but Hollywood_HOGan said it all when he said that Cedric almost broke madre hill's rushing record. And as for Kenny irons is concerned,yes, he is just a fart in the wind to me, Darren McFadden has so much more young talent and so much more to prove........go hogs go
You wanna know what the hardest thing about being an Ole Miss fan is?........ Telling you're parents that you're gay!..... Arkansas football is my passion. Hating colonel REB is more like a hobby of mine.

SoonerPride

How about we just let this season play out before we argue who is better.  We have no way of knowing if either one of them will be better than the other backs in the SEC(mainly Darby) or not.  For now we can not get anywhere b/c both backs are even, but it is very hard to say who is better.  Trying to tell you all that McFadden isn't the best back in the SEC is like arguing with a brick wall.  I'm not going to make any headway b/c you are all so blind with Swine Love.

Tammany Tom

I thought I would bring a completely unobjective point of view to this discussion. Both are very, very good Running Backs. On pure potential, I firmly believe McFadden has more. However, based strickly on past performance, it is a toss up. I, also, believe McFadden is the more gifted and talented player. Irons has shown that he can really grind out tough yards and is very durable. McFadden has shown flashes of pure brillance and a 5th gear that very, very few running backs have. As you can see from below, both played very well against like competition and both had a couple of poor performances for whatever reasons.

Here are some stats from games played last year against identical competition. Both teams played LSU, UGA, Bama, Ole Miss, So. Carolina, and MS State and each other. Here are eaches stats:

McFadden:  142 attempts for 824 yards 5.8 ypc
Irons: 181 attempts for 838 yards 4.6 ypc

McFadden's Top 3 games against like comp.
Georgia (31 for 190 yds)
So. Carolina (32 for 187 yds)
MS State (21 for 165 yds)

Irons' Top 3 games against like comp.
LSU (28 for 218 yds)
Arkansas (33 for 182 yds)
Georgia (37 for 179 yds).

McFadden's 2 worst performances against like comp.
Ole Miss (13 for 22)
LSU (24 for 57)

Irons' 2 worst performances against like comp.
So. Carolina (11 for 27)
MS State (13 for 28)

woodhog14

Quote from: PennHOG on July 03, 2006, 08:55:02 am
Quote from: Boss Hogg on July 01, 2006, 11:37:26 pm

How can I forget.  The Razorback could not stop him in the second half of that game last year.  Before that no one really noticed him.

Yeah, then a few weeks later, he tourched LSU in Baton Rouge at night on ESPN for somewhere close to 220 yds and 2 TD's IIRC.

THROWITDEEP

silvertip

Quote from: WilsonHog on July 03, 2006, 10:56:25 am
SoonerFan has a point about longevity of success. There have been a lot of great Arkansas running backs in the modern era. Dickey Morton, Ike Forte, Ben Cowins, Gary Anderson, James Rouse, Barry Foster, Madre Hill, Fred Talley, and Cedric Cobbs come immediately to mind.

McFadden may turn out to be the best running back in Razorback history. However, the young man who many people thought was the most talented running back to ever wear a Razorback uniform isn't even on the list I just made.    

Alworth

rlamb

Sooner, why don't you get back on a Muskogee Board and you all
reminesce about all the times you've been on probation after National Title years?  The 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's? come to mind.