Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vanderbilt Commodores football stadium

Started by WP razorback, June 28, 2006, 10:44:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WP razorback

I am planning on going to the Arkansas/Vandy game this year, but have never been to a game at their stadium.  I was wondering how the atmosphere is for a college football game at Vandy.  I noticed Sporting News said their stadium holds around 40,000.  Any insight on where to try and sit and tailgate tips for attending a game at Vandy would be appreciated.

Hog Gumbo

Saw Pink Floyd there in 94 it was a dump then, it'll make you appreciate WMS. :)

WP razorback

That is what I was afraid of.  I talked to the ticket office last week and she acted like it would not be a problem to get seats anywhere in the stadium for the game.  I figure ticket sales will be down with Cutler leaving. 

bigred7987

It will be a neutral crowd I believe, ALOT of Hog fans in the nashville area. 

porknpine

Hey WP, I got a room in the Holiday Inn - directly across the street from the stadium!  We plan to let em know we're there!  Tailgate (with tent, flag, food, etc) in the hotel parking lot on game day too...so just come on by.  It's an easy trip - I bet Hog fans have 1/2 the stadium.

To Kill A Mockinghog

There is no tailgating to speak of. 

Nashville is a nice town though.

WP razorback

I had no idea Nashville had a lot of Hog fans.  That is definitely a good thing to know.  If anyone needs to make reservations downtown, the hotels are filling up.  I ended making reservations at two locations with plans to cancel at one of the hotels. 

bigred7987

I live in Murfreesboro outside of Nashville and on a regular week I see 5-10 hog license plates and thats just on the side of town I live in.  TN has a specialized hog license plate, which in order to have in stock, you have to have so many requests per year and arkansas fans easily fulfills that number and more every year. 

To Kill A Mockinghog

Quote from: WP razorback on June 28, 2006, 11:09:05 pm
I had no idea Nashville had a lot of Hog fans. 

It also helps that Nashville doesn't have many Vandy fans.

WP razorback

Quote from: To Kill A Mockinghog on June 28, 2006, 11:20:58 pm
Quote from: WP razorback on June 28, 2006, 11:09:05 pm
I had no idea Nashville had a lot of Hog fans. 

It also helps that Nashville doesn't have many Vandy fans.

Now that I sit back and think about it, I would have to assume there is not many Vandy fans.  I remember watching some games/highlights from Vandy games and I have seen high schools have better attendance than Vandy.

bigred7987

They had some nice attendace last year, first time in a while

bigred7987

June 28, 2006, 11:35:59 pm #11 Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 11:38:48 pm by bigred7987
http://vucommodores.com/assets/parking-football.pdf
as you can see not much tailgating alotment there...especially if your not in the "Im rich and a Vandy fan club".  The RV area and public parking are pretty far away from the stadium.  If your coming into town and staying near the stadium do what porknpine is doing and tailgate at your hotel.

Just found this link as well...might be able to pull one on them if you lie enough
  http://vucommodores.com/vandyville/VandyvilleTailgating.asp

mtownhog

i went to the vanderbilt georgia game last year (which was vanderbilt's homecoming game) and i say it was about 55% vandy fans, 45% georgia fans.  as far as tailgaiting goes, i remember theirs a parking lot right by the stadium where all the georgia fans set up shop.  Also you can tailgate across the street at the parthenon parking lot, they have a huge lawn and tons of room.

bigred7987

Wasn't sure if Parthenon would or not but if they are allowing it there your good to go

hogfan064

The stadium seats 40,000.  They actually took out about 2,000 seats about 4 years ago to add a food court area in one endzone.  They have a small marching band, but they do an average job of entertaining the crowd.  The stadium is kind of a horseshoe.  You should have no problem sitting in good seats.  I'd imagine about 30,000 will show up and probably 12,000 will be Hogs.  There is parking next to the stadium and tailgating areas.  Don't park in the parking garage unless you plan on staying around in traffic for a long time after the game. 

Oh and beware of the Foghorn after each TD by Vandy.

WichitaStateRazorback

Quote from: hogfan064 on June 29, 2006, 06:07:48 am
The stadium seats 40,000.  They actually took out about 2,000 seats about 4 years ago to add a food court area in one endzone.  They have a small marching band, but they do an average job of entertaining the crowd.  The stadium is kind of a horseshoe.  You should have no problem sitting in good seats.  I'd imagine about 30,000 will show up and probably 12,000 will be Hogs.  There is parking next to the stadium and tailgating areas.  Don't park in the parking garage unless you plan on staying around in traffic for a long time after the game. 

Oh and beware of the Foghorn after each TD by Vandy.
there will be no touchdowns by Vandy

Jim Harris

Quote from: WP razorback on June 28, 2006, 10:51:31 pm
That is what I was afraid of.  I talked to the ticket office last week and she acted like it would not be a problem to get seats anywhere in the stadium for the game.  I figure ticket sales will be down with Cutler leaving. 

You will very likely be able to get tickets  between the 40s at face value (or at worst very slightly above) from Commodore lettermen or boosters outside the stadium.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

hogfan064

Quote from: drakehog on June 29, 2006, 07:03:59 am

You will very likely be able to get tickets  between the 40s at face value (or at worst very slightly above) from Commodore lettermen or boosters outside the stadium.

DON'T PAY SLIGHTLY ABOVE FACE VALUE!!!  You can get face value tickets and go sit down in an empty seat between the 40s if you'd like.  Trust me unless Vandy is off to a great start then tickets will be easy

GrizzledHogFan

Here's their stadium in all of its glory...
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

GrizzledHogFan

Here's a more zoomed out view of the area.

GAMECOCKBOY

vandys attendance isnt good when we went to vandy 2 years ago we took over the city and the stadium and we will do the same thing this year
MESS WITH THE FEATHERS U SHALL GET SPURED!!!

GOOO GAMECOCKS!!!

rzrbaxfan

Hey Big red, +1 for sharing the links.  I'm taking the RV there and needed that map...just haven't gotten around to searching for it yet.

Any other RV-ers making the trip?

GrizzledHogFan

Here's a seating chart, for what that's worth...

hogfan064

Quote from: Fresh Legs on June 29, 2006, 08:04:00 am
Does anyone know where the Hog section will be?  Sitting on the 40 is cool but its a lot easier to call the hogs when your with a few thousand or more.  I say we all try to sit as close as possible.  We'll have a better effect.

West side around the 10-20 yard lines.  Not bad seats at all. 

hogfan064

Quote from: gmb_79 on June 29, 2006, 08:11:55 am
Here's a seating chart, for what that's worth...

Hogs will be in sections V and U. 

Vandyhog4

Generally the visiting fans sit in sections V, U, and T.  Getting hog calls going should not be a problem, as most will be confined to this area.  There will be plenty of available seating throughout the stadium, and it would not surprise me to see more red and white than black and gold (I will be clad in red).  Throughout my entire Vandy career every visiting SEC team has brought a crowd that is equal to or larger than the Vandy crowd.  There just aren't that many Vandy fans in Nashville, and there really aren't a lot of Vandy fans period.  With only 6,000 students, the student section is generally quite.  The overall theme of Vandy athletics is apathy, but for football games we act like it is a cocktail party.  Girls are in dresses and pearls, guys are in button downs and ties.  Generally nobody shows up until the 2nd quarter and everybody leaves by the start of the 4th (unless we are actually in the game).  Again there is very little to worry about as far as seat availability.  I've seen pro Bama, Auburn, Georgia, SC, and even Middle Tennessee crowds all at home.  We just don't care.  That is unless we win.  Trash talking is rendered futile because of this and the fact that most Vandy kids think they are better than everybody else.  Much like Ole Miss, but smart and a lot wealthier.  Just go in there, get the job done, and have a good time in Nashville.  It is a great city.  If anybody needs advice on where to stay, eat, tailgate, or anything just ask.  WPS.      

hogfan064

There are also lots of places to eat and several hotels within walking distance from the stadium. I would say your best bet is to get a hotel, park your care there and walk to the game.  Probably will be a 12:30 JP game if I had to guess. Afterwards go to the hotel and wait for the traffic to die.  Then head out for a fun night in Nashville.

GrizzledHogFan

I noticed that the stadium practically has a built-in Marriott hotel.  How full is it usually?

autohog

Like Bigred, I live in Murfreesboro, just south of Nashville.  My son & family will be coming in from San Antonio, and my brother & family will be coming in from Fayettenam for the game.  I've never been to a Vandy game, but the locals tell me that the Parthenon area is a good place to tailgate and not a bad place to park (easy entrance and exit).  We'll be there early and loud.
I would expect that the Hog fans will equal or possibly even outnumber the Vandy fans.  Vandy has a certain number of die-hards that will always show up - they're also very polite and humble (they're Vandy), but with Cutler gone, so are expectations.  Their crowd will be a bit smaller than last year's.  We, on the other hand, remember last year, have higher expectations, and will travel well.  I expect this game to be more like WMS-east! ;D

hogfan064

Let's just hope this is our only trip to Tennessee this year.  No Music City or Liberty Bowl!!

To Kill A Mockinghog

Quote from: hogfan064 on June 29, 2006, 09:28:49 am
Let's just hope this is our only trip to Tennessee this year.  No Music City or Liberty Bowl!!
Don't worry, Shreveport has a spot saved for us.

hogfan064

Quote from: To Kill A Mockinghog on June 29, 2006, 09:37:44 am
Quote from: hogfan064 on June 29, 2006, 09:28:49 am
Don't worry, Shreveport has a spot saved for us.

Yeah I'd take Nashville and even Memphis over Shreveport

LoHog

I used to live in Nashville and it is a great. Hey Gumbo I saw Floyd there too, after that concert the residents of the West End area wouldn't allow concerts there anymore (at least on the Floyd scale). But everyone knows that has been to that stadium that it is a dump. Like the other posters said it is probably best to get a hotel room for pre-game purposes. Then take the hotel shuttle after the game to 2nd ave. and enjoy a pretty fun downtown area.

WP razorback

Is there a charge for the parking at the Parthenon? If so, does anyone know what it usually costs to park there?

mtownhog

Quote from: WP razorback on June 29, 2006, 11:09:40 pm
Is there a charge for the parking at the Parthenon? If so, does anyone know what it usually costs to park there?

Im almost positive theres no charge for parking at Centennial Park/Parthenon.

mtownhog

Quote from: gmb_79 on June 29, 2006, 09:20:13 am
I noticed that the stadium practically has a built-in Marriott hotel.  How full is it usually?

I stayed at that marriot when i went to their homecoming game in october, its extremely convenient. You walk through the back door of the hotel and you're at the entrance to the stadium.  It would probably smart to try to get a room a month or so in advance.

Corkscrew Johnson

I know the Vandy tailgate scene pretty well.  There are numerous fields where you can park and tailgate.  There is a street that splits the Vanderbilt campus called "Natchez Trace" which connects West End Avenue with Blakemore Avenue.  This stretch of Natcez Trace is about 7-10 blocks long, and runs alongside the stadium.  The best spots are the fields closest to Blakemore (note this is the side of the stadium OPPOSITE from West End and the Parthenon).

You can park there, set up your barbecue, drink all day, hang out with the other tailgaters (yes, there will be lots of tailgaters, all vandy jokes aside), and it's less than a 5 minute walk from the stadium.

Corkscrew Johnson

wincrimson

Don't go w/o a ticket. I went to the 1995 Vandy/Bama game as a kid and had to sneak in between two fat fans to get into the game. There were more Bama fans there than Vandy, and NO tickets.

I know, my dad's ideas are great....

arkhogdog61

the stadium reminds me of WMS old hole in the ground, the crowd sucks, seen madre hill run all over'em. GO HOGS
IF YOU CAN"T RUN WITH THE BIG DOGS STAY ON THE PORCH!

Corkscrew Johnson

i think it is going to be a great roadtrip b/c

1.  its only 5 hours from LR, less from east arkansas

2.  we have a solid chance to win, which doesn't happen on the road very often in the SEC

3.  nashville is a great town to kick it in after the game

4.  there are lots of fields VERY close to the stadium where you can park and tailgate (ala War Memorial), and if the razorback nation comes out in force, it will be a rowdy tailgate scene

5.  because vandy doesn't support their team 50,000 strong, we should have a solid presence in that stadium, rather than just your typical sliver of seating in an opposing venue

WP razorback

Thanks for all of the information on tailgating around the stadium in Nashville and information about the stadium itself.

I am definitely looking forward to the trip. 

+1 to everyone for the information.

Go Hogs Go!   :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Zorrohog

Quote from: WP razorback on June 28, 2006, 10:44:57 pm
I am planning on going to the Arkansas/Vandy game this year, but have never been to a game at their stadium.  I was wondering how the atmosphere is for a college football game at Vandy.  I noticed Sporting News said their stadium holds around 40,000.  Any insight on where to try and sit and tailgate tips for attending a game at Vandy would be appreciated.

I sure hope I ain't violating any unspecified rules by posting this here, but here are a few pictures of the joint....

WP razorback

Thanks for the pictures Zorrohog!

Anyone get tickets for the Vandy game today?

cityhog

be sure and visit Past Perfect on your trip to Nashville.  A great bar just off the main honky tonk strip, around the corner from thr Ryman.  A buddy of mine from Heber Springs owns the bar.  tell him Jamey sent you.  He's a hog fan too!