Total Members Voted: 1

hydrophonic

"The future sucks." "Change it."

PulledPork

this guy is going to be awesome with whomever he plays for

Pulled out...

mossfan3

David Greene/Shockley

Mustain/Burns.  That would be a nice problem to have. 

Zen_Hog

Holy crap the last 2 plays were incredible!

Ugly Uncle

That guy is amazing.

I am betting he will wait to commit until he sees if MM redshirts this year.  If MM redshirts...then I bet Kodi goes somewhere else.  If MM plays early, then I look for him (Kodi) to come here.  Mitch would be a Jr. when Kodi is a redshirt freshman...Mitch leaves after Jr. year...and Kodi starts as a Redshirt Soph.  Just what I think will happen.
Retired Radio Host

Zen_Hog

Quote from: uglyuncle on June 14, 2006, 07:22:02 pm
That guy is amazing.

I am betting he will wait to commit until he sees if MM redshirts this year.  If MM redshirts...then I bet Kodi goes somewhere else.  If MM plays early, then I look for him (Kodi) to come here.  Mitch would be a Jr. when Kodi is a redshirt freshman...Mitch leaves after Jr. year...and Kodi starts as a Redshirt Soph.  Just what I think will happen.

Yeah, but if Burns has a crazy year, then he might leave early, so its very important to have Nathan Dick with us.

mtownhog

i think it will come down to us and ole miss

Hawgballz

Quote from: uglyuncle on June 14, 2006, 07:22:02 pm
That guy is amazing.

On this one, we definitely think alike and if I was in Kodi's situation or had a child in Kodi's situation that is exactly what I would do, so I can not criticise him for waiting.  I just hope that it does not hurt our recruiting elsewhere.  GO  :razorback: GO
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

LL COOL HOG

Reminds me of Mike Vick.  I hope he becomes a hog.  And I agree with you guys I think he is waiting on MM.  I really would hate to lose his talent.  But he may be willing to Redshirt also.

39/4Life

northsidehawg

kodi is a good qb we need him here at u of a, so what do y'all think his decision be? 

Rooka

I think he will pass on us, but welcome to the boards.

Ugly Uncle

He will be a hog!   I hope!
Retired Radio Host

39/4Life

The Pulse

June 26, 2006, 06:52:31 pm #15 Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 07:14:14 pm by The Pulse
I Hope as much as you can hope that he will choose Arkansas. But i just don't think he will. I think that he won't come here if Mitch has a good year, and it's clear that mitch will be the favored QB for 07. I think Mitch will have a good season. Thus, I think that KB will go elsewhere.

bigred7987

there is competition everywhere.  I think too many kids get a false hope that since they get D1 offers they will automatically play and they base their decisions on this.  A&M has QB's too.  if Kodi redshirts he still has two years to play.  His decision will hinge largely on how successful we are this year.

mbgrulz

why would anybody want to go to a school that is not even the most popular college team in the state, not to mention it gets outshadowed by the numerous pro teams in texas. every school worth anything has good competition at every spot, but arkansas is one of the few that has no competition for the fans attention. come to arkansas, earn your spot, and everybody will love you. the pros will find you if your good, we've learned that.

if MM turns out good, kodi could start for 2 years. that is more than most QB's get anyway. 26 games is plenty of time to prove your salt.

i think GM  lands him in the end.

Tomhog™

I'm always the optimist with recruits until I hear otherwise.  I say Kodi belongs at Arkansas.  He'd be a great fit with our offense and would be utilized in one way or another by Gus until he proves to be the best QB on campus.  I don't think Kodi is afraid of competition.  He seems to meet it head on...

SultanofSwine

northsidehawg

Quote from: mbgrulz on June 26, 2006, 10:52:03 pm
why would anybody want to go to a school that is not even the most popular college team in the state, not to mention it gets outshadowed by the numerous pro teams in texas. every school worth anything has good competition at every spot, but arkansas is one of the few that has no competition for the fans attention. come to arkansas, earn your spot, and everybody will love you. the pros will find you if your good, we've learned that.

if MM turns out good, kodi could start for 2 years. that is more than most QB's get anyway. 26 games is plenty of time to prove your salt.

i think GM  lands him in the end.
kb is our best option as recruiting comes in the qbs this year, if mm has a good year, we still need to land kb bcuz just like mm, he can play good in gm's offense and if the play breaks down, he can always use those golden legs of his and make things happen!

pork and mindy

I think if we have a good year this year, we'll get him late in the recruiting process.

MJ2

mossfan3

I really think he could be better in a spread offense than MM, obviously bc of Kodi's speed and elusiveness.  It could resemble West Virginia's offense.

The real Hogules

I have a feeling that Kodi Burns ends up at Ole Miss, Bama, or Auburn.
Ole Miss already has a commitment from one of Burns linemen at Northside HS and Shaeffer only has two years of eligibility left (at Ole Miss), so I think that makes Ole Miss attractive to Burns.
I doubt we land him, because no matter where he goes (besides Arkansas), he most likely won't be having to compete against the #1 QB in the Nation for PT!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

bigred7987

There are 5 star QB's at all of the top teams in the nation..that shouldn't be a factor

Calling All Hogs

Kodi rocks. I am kind of surpised Texas hasn't come after him since he is in the mold of Vince Young.

Swino

Gus, and more importantly, to what extent Gus is allowed to run his offense will determine where KB goes.  IMO.  He will wait till the season starts and he, along with with the rest of Hog nation, will know immediately whether or not Gus is running his system or if Dale & Co. have somehow put the shackles on.

thahawg

Quote from: Swino on June 29, 2006, 09:09:23 am
Gus, and more importantly, to what extent Gus is allowed to run his offense will determine where KB goes.  IMO.  He will wait till the season starts and he, along with with the rest of Hog nation, will know immediately whether or not Gus is running his system or if Dale & Co. have somehow put the shackles on.

Couldn't of said it better myself.

Tigrinum Major

Why is Auburn not a choice?  He lists it as a possibility. 

arktennis

I hope the hogs are showing Kody a little more love than they usually do for in-state talent.  I was visiting with some friends the other day about why the big OL from Northside went to Ole Miss.  The statement was made that, while they all hope Coach M will change the schools ways, the Hogs have never really showed in-state talent any love.  They assume that since they are the only "real" D-1 school in the state that it is a given that they will come to the Hogs and they don't have to try hard to recruit them.  They gave as an example the above mentioned OL from Northside. They stated that while the Hogs offered him a scholarship, that was really it. No calls, no verbal or written "we think you're great", "we need you", or the like, no showing up to watch him in practice, etc.  Ole Miss on the other hand brought a couple of coaches to visit with him, they came to his practices, went into the huddles with him, told him constantly how much they thought of him as a player and how they needed him. And otherwise, "showed him some love" and the kid liked that. He felt they (Ole Miss) really thought highly of his talents, while Arkansas was no where in sight and had just offered a scholarship with nothing more. Sort of like "we'd like to have you if you want to come, but we can live without you."  This is not the way to recruit the best talent.  18 yr.olds like to be told how great they are and want to feel the love from the school they want to go to. While back in the old days maybe it was a slam dunk that talent stayed home and wanted to go to Arkansas just like kids in the 50's usually stayed in the same town they grew up in or stayed in the same job forever. That isn't the way it is anymore. Kids will leave the state in a heart beat. You have to show the love to get the talent. Let's hope Coach M changes this philosophy, because there is no telling how many recruits we have lost in the past, or will lose this year, due to this mindset.

Swino

Quote from: arktennis on June 30, 2006, 11:06:16 am
I hope the hogs are showing Kody a little more love than they usually do for in-state talent.  I was visiting with some friends the other day about why the big OL from Northside went to Ole Miss.  The statement was made that, while they all hope Coach M will change the schools ways, the Hogs have never really showed in-state talent any love.  They assume that since they are the only "real" D-1 school in the state that it is a given that they will come to the Hogs and they don't have to try hard to recruit them.  They gave as an example the above mentioned OL from Northside. They stated that while the Hogs offered him a scholarship, that was really it. No calls, no verbal or written "we think you're great", "we need you", or the like, no showing up to watch him in practice, etc.  Ole Miss on the other hand brought a couple of coaches to visit with him, they came to his practices, went into the huddles with him, told him constantly how much they thought of him as a player and how they needed him. And otherwise, "showed him some love" and the kid liked that. He felt they (Ole Miss) really thought highly of his talents, while Arkansas was no where in sight and had just offered a scholarship with nothing more. Sort of like "we'd like to have you if you want to come, but we can live without you."  This is not the way to recruit the best talent.  18 yr.olds like to be told how great they are and want to feel the love from the school they want to go to. While back in the old days maybe it was a slam dunk that talent stayed home and wanted to go to Arkansas just like kids in the 50's usually stayed in the same town they grew up in or stayed in the same job forever. That isn't the way it is anymore. Kids will leave the state in a heart beat. You have to show the love to get the talent. Let's hope Coach M changes this philosophy, because there is no telling how many recruits we have lost in the past, or will lose this year, due to this mindset.

Unfortunatly you are correct.  Hopefully Gus will be a catalyst of change for the Arkansas program.

mossfan3

I can't imagine having to beg a 17 yr. old kid to accept a scholarship from my division 1 school if I was a coach.  I still like the way Oklahoma used to recruit, saying "we are going to win with you or without you so you might as well join us".  I guess that doesn't work as well as text messaging a kid's mom.

Hawgballz

Quote from: arktennis on June 30, 2006, 11:06:16 am

I am not sure whether you have an agenda or are just misinformed, but you stated that the Arkansas coaches did not show up at Paul Henry's practices however several newspapers, internet sites & even our own TRG have reported that Gus, Houston & at least 1 other U of A coach were at Northside's spring practice & spring game.  I am not defending any coaches, but if we are going to use "facts" to be critical then let's be sure we use correct facts.  Also Mr. Burns' first name is Kodi.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php/topic,58913.0.html

arktennis

Quote from: HawgBall06 on June 30, 2006, 01:11:15 pm
I am not sure whether you have an agenda or are just misinformed, but you stated that the Arkansas coaches did not show up at Paul Henry's practices however several newspapers, internet sites & even our own TRG have reported that Gus, Houston & at least 1 other U of A coach were at Northside's spring practice & spring game.  I am not defending any coaches, but if we are going to use "facts" to be critical then let's be sure we use correct facts.  Also Mr. Burns' first name is Kodi.

No agenda. Sorry on the typo, I try and go quickly.  They did say he (the OL) visited with Gus. They just pointed out, from personal knowledge, that the lineman felt that the Hogs could care less. That the offer was enough and that Ole Miss really worked for him and made him fell wanted.  That's the point. They were glad Gus was making efforts, and I think I mentioned that they are hopeful that Gus can change the attitude, but that before Gus there was really nothing.

As for Mossfan3's comments, he most be joking.  OU, and I know because I was on scholarship there back in 82-83, cut deals (cars, jobs, cash, etc.) all the time to get players.We used to say that OU got better players because we gave away better cars than other schools. But that's beside the point.  If he would think back (or maybe he's not 18 yet), when you are a highschool junior or senior you think you're invinsible, and he you are a D-1 caliber athlete you think you are a stud and everybody agrees with you at school.  You darn right you have to do a little a$$ kissing to get a real talented kid to come play for you because, unless you have no brain, you know your competition is going to do that to the kid and you have a high likelihood of loosing that player because of it.

Downhill Hog

The Razorbacks seem like an ideal situation for a QB like Burnns. Mustang figures to play this year. That gives a top rated QB the opportunity to redshirt one year while he learns and adjust to the speed. Then at worst he has 2 years to be the man, and if Mitch develops to NFL level then he possibly has 3 years to be the man. The majority of the talent on the hawgs is young, and this 2007 recruiting class should be strong........ this program should do nothing but go forward. Truly turning the corner and going to the next level will take more than one top rated qb and the second top rated qb to sign and play will probably get more benefits than the first. PM did a lot for the vols, but it is T-Martin who is wearing the NC ring....... Last years freshmen are a good group to start the foundation with, 2006 class should only add and 2007 class should reap the benefits. The hawgs are a good situation for nay qb in the 2007 class regardless of how highly rated!

Hawgballz

Quote from: arktennis on June 30, 2006, 01:51:41 pm
Quote from: HawgBall06 on June 30, 2006, 01:11:15 pm

No agenda. Sorry on the typo, I try and go quickly.  They did say he (the OL) visited with Gus. They just pointed out, from personal knowledge, that the lineman felt that the Hogs could care less. That the offer was enough and that Ole Miss really worked for him and made him fell wanted.  That's the point. They were glad Gus was making efforts, and I think I mentioned that they are hopeful that Gus can change the attitude, but that before Gus there was really nothing.

As for Mossfan3's comments, he most be joking.  OU, and I know because I was on scholarship there back in 82-83, cut deals (cars, jobs, cash, etc.) all the time to get players.We used to say that OU got better players because we gave away better cars than other schools. But that's beside the point.  If he would think back (or maybe he's not 18 yet), when you are a highschool junior or senior you think you're invinsible, and he you are a D-1 caliber athlete you think you are a stud and everybody agrees with you at school.  You darn right you have to do a little a$$ kissing to get a real talented kid to come play for you because, unless you have no brain, you know your competition is going to do that to the kid and you have a high likelihood of loosing that player because of it.

There are plenty of reasons to be critical of recruiting at times and I agree with a lot of what you are saying about the reasons kids make the decisions they do about which school they will attend.  I have 3 kids ages 17, 15 (well ALMOST 16 as she like to remind me about every other day) & 10 and sometimes I have no clue how they come to the decisions that they do and at other times I wish I didn't know how they made a certain decision.  All kids are different and as you say some of them need to have their ego massaged in order to like you and the job of our recruiters is to relate to these young men and find out what they are looking for and try to provide it, so basically we agree.  In closing, it has been my experience that the greatest recruiting tool in the world is to win at least 10 games every year.  GO  :razorback: GO

Hawgballz

Quote from: Downhill Hog on June 30, 2006, 02:26:28 pm
The Razorbacks seem like an ideal situation for a QB like Burnns. Mustang figures to play this year. That gives a top rated QB the opportunity to redshirt one year while he learns and adjust to the speed. Then at worst he has 2 years to be the man, and if Mitch develops to NFL level then he possibly has 3 years to be the man. The majority of the talent on the hawgs is young, and this 2007 recruiting class should be strong........ this program should do nothing but go forward. Truly turning the corner and going to the next level will take more than one top rated qb and the second top rated qb to sign and play will probably get more benefits than the first. PM did a lot for the vols, but it is T-Martin who is wearing the NC ring....... Last years freshmen are a good group to start the foundation with, 2006 class should only add and 2007 class should reap the benefits. The hawgs are a good situation for nay qb in the 2007 class regardless of how highly rated!

AGREED

blueshog2001

Mustain and burns could end up being what Greene and Shockley were for the Bulldogs. I just wish Kodi would commit early. That way we could use it as a recruiting tool.  Not as big as a name as Mustain, but just play some recruits his highlight tape.

hog caller

c'mon  Kodi you know deep down you have been calling the hogs since you were 8 years old.
you have even faded back in the bedroom and threw a touchdown rasorback. don't let anyone on campus scare you to somewherever . but become a Hog and Join the crew that wants to make arkansas great again. we need you on the hill. GO HOGS!

northsidehawg

July 01, 2006, 04:50:23 pm #40 Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 05:09:41 pm by northsidehawg
kodi can also play numerous other positions like cb which he played against springdale last year. i follow northside and was at all but one of those games

Hogstocking

July 01, 2006, 05:30:47 pm #41 Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 11:24:53 am by Piggy Hogstocking
Some interesting comments from Burns

"I've always grown up wanting to be a Razorback and that's not changed," Burns said. "They will always be at the top of my list. But I feel like I owe it to myself to go through this recruiting process and do what's best for me. I think if everybody would be honest with themselves that is what they would do also."

"I don't want to take it down to the wire," Burns said. "I've already started to weed it out a little bit and I want to make a decision at least by the middle of the season if I can."

He was recently quoted by one school's recruiting site as saying that four schools had told him he was the number one quarterback on their recruiting boards - Auburn, Ole Miss, Texas A&M and Vandy.

Noticeably missing in that particular story was Arkansas, who Burns said has made it very clear to him he is their number one guy through new Razorback offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn.

"I don't know why Arkansas was not listed," Burns said. "I didn't know about that story, but it's clearly just a miscommunication. Coach Malzahn makes it very clear every time we talk that I'm their guy. Every time. He's made sure I know that and I know I am the only quarterback they have offered."

The fact that Malzahn - who coached incoming Razorback freshman quarterback Mitch Mustain - is at Arkansas gives Burns something to excited about, but also something to factor into his decision.

"I really like Coach Malzahn and think they are going to be fun to watch offensively this next season," Burns said. "He is telling me that if I come to Arkansas that he thinks Mitch and I can do some great things together.

"But people also understand - and I am not saying this will be the case - but people have to understand that he was Mitch's high school coach and it would be normal that he might have the upper hand there," Burns said. "It's not something I am saying would happen, but surely people would understand I have to think about that when making a decision."

Burns makes it clear he will not run from the challenge of Mustain or any other quarterback for that matter.

"No matter where I end up there are going to be great quarterbacks whether it be Arkansas or another school," Burns said. "That doesn't really play into my decision."

Asked if he would have offered just one 2007 quarterback if he had been the Razorback coaches, Burns answered diplomatically.

"I'm honored by that and it makes me feel great," Burns said. "I don't know what I would have done - that's something for coaches to decide, not players. But I can tell you it is interesting that some of these teams tell me that I am the only one they have offered and then I hear about them offering 3 or 4 more other guys. I know with Arkansas I am their number one and I trust them."

Northside offensive lineman Paul Henry committed to Ole Miss last month in a move that shocked Burns.

"He had always told me that he didn't think he could see himself in any other college uniform than the red one of Arkansas," Burns said. "But he went down there, really loved it and decided to commit on the spot. I was definitely surprised. We had talked about going to school together, but he's decided that's the place for him."

At one point this summer, Burns was planning on just concentrating on football and not continuing to play AAU basketball with the Arkansas Hawks, but the dates worked out so he could continue to play both sports - just as he plans to do in college.

That does mean he will be in Las Vegas for a tournament when Arkansas' is holding its Seniors Camp on July 21-22.

"I'm not doing any other football stuff besides 7-on-7 the rest of this summer," Burns said. "I'm just trying to get better so we can have a great season."

thahawg

Thanks for the article. That sounded a lot better for us than some of the other articles.

hog caller

i believe he will be a hog. he bleeds rasorback red.

Oliverhogman

I was believing that he would come here until I read the part about him wanting to play basketball and football both.

Maybe he would be wise to ask Matt Jones if that would work.

Porkerpower

Someone posted earlier in this thread that Kodi Burns would in theory have 2 years as the starter.
I say it just might be 3. 

If Mustain has a great career at the UofA, he might not be able to say know to that NFL money after his junior year, tossing the keys to the Malzharii to Burns for the next 3 years.

scorekeeper

I think Kodi will be a Hog.  Competition is great for the spirit of sports.  He will come to the UofA.  IMO
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: ScottFaldon on July 06, 2006, 07:57:52 pm
Quote from: Piggy Hogstocking on July 01, 2006, 05:30:47 pm

"I'm not doing any other football stuff besides 7-on-7 the rest of this summer," Burns said. "I'm just trying to get better so we can have a great season."

That also means he'll be skipping the Top Gun QB Challenge in a couple of weeks, one of his parents said today.

Good less exposure to other teams  ;)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

southeasthog

Quote from: Porkerpower on July 04, 2006, 12:19:39 am
Someone posted earlier in this thread that Kodi Burns would in theory have 2 years as the starter.
I say it just might be 3. 

If Mustain has a great career at the UofA, he might not be able to say know to that NFL money after his junior year, tossing the keys to the Malzharii to Burns for the next 3 years.
What if Kodi were to leave early?

Super Scrapper

Quote from: CallMeHog on June 28, 2006, 10:13:49 pm
Kodi rocks. I am kind of surpised Texas hasn't come after him since he is in the mold of Vince Young.

Texas has what they consider the #1 QB in the nation in Jevan Snead.  He proved he is good in the Army All Star game that Mitch Mustain didn't do well in.  Kodi would be behind another great QB there as well.  Might as well stay home and be a HOG.  SS