Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This is a warning from someone who gets to see the Trojans every game they play

Started by werehog, June 02, 2006, 02:04:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kratter

Quote from: Hawgon on June 02, 2006, 11:02:06 am
The blind and unwarranted optimism of Arkansas fans never seems to amaze me.  What reasons do you have for being so optimistic?   

We are going to get beat badly.  I don't know how badly, but it will be bad enough that there are going to be lots of questions asked around here the day after the game. 

But never fear, the huggers will take a week or two to regroup and with wins over a couple of cupcakes, will soon have us projected for a BCS bowl again.
Let's give a shout out to those guys who read a fairly detailed post on a subject then say, "that's ridiculous, what are your reasons".  Read the post.

And this is for all you guys spitting the "we don't have any chance against the far superior USC team, with far greater players, far greater coaches, far greater fans, far greater......, we will get beat by 100 and shouldn't even show up"
If Texas was coming in here the 1st game of the season, the same tune wouldn't be sung nearly as much, and maybe not by anybody except HiM.
"We have no chance against Texas, we will be lucky to stay within 30", come on???  But TEXAS BEAT USC and lost less talent. 
I know, I know, 70-17, that's the reason for the inferiority complex, but those 2 teams are far different from the 2 teams that will take the field 9-2-06.  USC is different b/c of the talent &, more importantly, experience that they lost.  Arkansas is different b/c we have improved greatly, see (not Ole Miss or Miss St.) see LSU 11-25-05.  We gave them everything they could handle, at their home, and we were a couple of ill-advised play calls & a missed field goal away from beating them.  I'm not into moral victories, but that same LSU team went into a natural stadium and embarrassed, yes embarrassed, a Miami team with as good, if not better, talent than this USC team.  I'm just saying, we are worlds away from those 2 teams that took the field in LA last year, and to say we will be lucky to stay within 30 is absurd.

BTW: I don't know why this became a Hugger vs. Darksider thread, but it appears my opinion is being labeled Hugger, however, I can assure you that I think we should have voted off "the weakest link" after the 2003 season.
Aim for Greatness, you'll reach Greatness at best, Mediocrity at worst.
Aim for Mediocrity, you'll reach Mediocrity at best, Failure at worst.
-Kratter, 2004

Tylerhog

Reggie will be the one who decides the fate of this game. I remember the look on his face after 4 consecutive scores and it wasnt pretty, guess it still aint pretty but you no what I mean. The reason it was so lopsided was we had a defensive scheme that the players simply could not execute at that time or Vandy time. Ask LSU players if they think the Hogs had it figured out by the end of the season. My gut says reggie will be ready and I dont mean Bush. HOGHOPEFUL

werehog

Kratter has a good point that the Trojans biggest lost is not talent, but experience. USC will put more talent on the field this fall -- with one big exception. They won't have Reggie Bush. He wasn't just the player of the year, he was the player of the decade. His ability to change direction without breaking stride, to make tacklers miss, to start and stop as quickly as he did makes him irreplaceable.

I do not think USC will win, 70-17, but they do have the potential to win, 45-14. However, our talent level at quarterback whether it is Mitch Mustain or Casey Dick is greatly improved over last season's tandem of RoJo and Alex (yes, they're good kids, but they're not good QBs) and I think our receivers will be greatly improved because of D Williams, London Crawford and a healthly Chris Baker. I worry about our lack of depth at LB and our failure to identify safety depth in the spring. Predicting the score is a mug's game. We can lose in a rout, but we have a chance to gain street cred by playing the Trojans close.

kratter

Good post, werehog, especially about the QB situation.
Just like was stated in my original analysis, my optimism about the game is with Mitch OR Casey.  Casey seemed to manage the game very well late last season, and if he is in there next year, I look for him to do the same.
Aim for Greatness, you'll reach Greatness at best, Mediocrity at worst.
Aim for Mediocrity, you'll reach Mediocrity at best, Failure at worst.
-Kratter, 2004

ammohog

If we really want to win, all that must be done is convice the team that the USC match-up is just as important as a Texass matchup.  Since Texass beat USC we must do the same. We'll come out playing like it's the Super Bowl, and play the game down to the wire. As far as USC having blazing speed on defense- come on. When was the last time they weren't stacked all over the field? LSU was stacked the end of last season. USC will be at risk for an upset no matter how fast they are. Go Hogs Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S

werehog

Here is what I mean by blazing speed -- a USC '07 recruit just won the California 100 meters state championship with a 10.3 clocking. This is the fastest a high school kid has run the 100 meters this year. He is projected as a corner back. This the type of kid the Trojans recruit as defensive back. Where oh where are our fleet DBs of yesteryear, do we ever miss guys like Batman (I can even forgive his clumsy holding penalties).

ammohog

Quote from: werehog on June 03, 2006, 06:40:08 pm
Here is what I mean by blazing speed -- a USC '07 recruit just won the California 100 meters state championship with a 10.3 clocking. This is the fastest a high school kid has run the 100 meters this year. He is projected as a corner back. This the type of kid the Trojans recruit as defensive back. Where oh where are our fleet DBs of yesteryear, do we ever miss guys like Batman (I can even forgive his clumsy holding penalties).
Their all on the track team.
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S

mossfan3

No but they can flat out run.  We just can't have 3 and outs like we did last year.  That will kill our D almost as bad as their offense can. 

Extra Point

Quote from: werehog on June 02, 2006, 02:04:49 am
I know this is unpleasant to think about but the USC defense is going to flat out come after the Hogs with a speed that not even LSU or Auburn has.

I couldn't help but get a chuckle out of that statement.  SC's defense finished about 35th in the nation in total defense.  We faced several better defenses last year.

The difference in that game was our ineptness on defense and the fact Pete wanted to lay the wood to us going for it on 4th down up by a winning margin.

I'm not saying we are better, but to say that SC will be head and shoulders above us is not accurate.

razorbackdan

Quote from: werehog on June 03, 2006, 12:05:27 pm
Kratter has a good point that the Trojans biggest lost is not talent, but experience. USC will put more talent on the field this fall -- with one big exception. They won't have Reggie Bush. He wasn't just the player of the year, he was the player of the decade. His ability to change direction without breaking stride, to make tacklers miss, to start and stop as quickly as he did makes him irreplaceable.

I do not think USC will win, 70-17, but they do have the potential to win, 45-14.

However,  We can lose in a rout, but we have a chance to gain street cred by playing the Trojans close.

We could lose, or we could win? Way to go out on a limb. If you think USC will beat us by 31 points, you don't know darn about college football. You keep hyping USC's defense, but I don't remember them being all that great last year. They gave up 23 points a game and 360 yards. USC may very well win this game, but they'll have to earn it. The crowd will be in a frenzy like Texas in 2004 and believe it or not, I think some of the returning players we have may have become a year older, smarter, determined and better all around. USC lost heavy talent that was once in a decade talent. I understand how well they recruit, but a lot of first time starters playing in hostile environment with the hosts' minds focused on revenge and a badass fricking running game spells a dogfight for the Trojans.

werehog

Most of the Trojan DL'men & LBs were out with injuries last year. They're back. Their secondary with the exception of Darnell Bing was young and inexperienced. They -- like the Hogs -- have question marks at safety.

My fear about our vertical game isn't about who is under center Mitch or Casey nor is it about the receivers, but about our OL. I know it is supposed to be good at run blocking but can these guys pass block? That is a big question mark. We all saw what happened to Mitch in the all-Star game when he was under a heavy rush. Casey appears slightly more mobile than Mustain but neither of these guys is Matt Jones or Vince Young. Hopefully we'll find out in August whether these guys can hold a block long enough for our QBs to read the defense and make a play.

ammohog

Quote from: werehog on June 04, 2006, 03:49:51 am
Most of the Trojan DL'men & LBs were out with injuries last year. There back. Their secondary with the exception of Darnell Bing was young and inexperienced. They -- like the Hogs -- have question marks at safety.

My fear about our vertical game isn't about who is under center Mitch or Casey nor is it about the receivers, but about our OL. I know it is supposed to be good at run blocking but can these guys pass block? That is a big question mark. We all saw what happened to Mitch in the all-Star game when he was under a heavy rush. Casey appears slightly more mobile than Mustain but neither of these guys is Matt Jones or Vince Young. Hopefully we'll find out in August whether these guys can hold a block long enough for our QBs to read the defense and make a play.
I agree the O-line will be a question, but our linemen are more experienced this year.  We also have more depth in that area. Guys like Ugoh, Parker, Felton, and Tubbs are leaders.  Then we have Luigs at Center. He doesn't have as much experience as the rest of the starters, but he showed well in the absence of Kyle Roper last season. Also, if pass blocking becomes an issue you can always turn D-Mac loose.
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S

AZHog

USC as the winner of one NC. USC agreeded to this format. Auburn got screwed out of opportunity to play USC...the same as USC got screwed out of playing LSU.

1-Pete, not 2-Pete.

AZHog

us a comparative analysis showing how many and who were injured.

I agree that SC had some injuries on defense, but certainly not "most" by any stretch. That entire statement is a stretch.

AZHog

don't forget....he will be a true freshman.

Also, Arksansas has a few speedy DBs and WRs as well. Grant is a 10.4 guy at saftie,    Vinnett is a sub 4.4/40 guy (also, I think that he has run in the low 10's in 100m), Houston is a sub 4.4/40 guy. C. Baker has been clocked in sub 4.3/40 time and C. Houston is a sub 4.4 guy. As impressive as the SC DBs may be, the Hogs are just as impressive speed-wise.

In a footrace I seriously doubt any one of those SC DBs will run DMac down from behind.

If you go back and re-watch the game. Watch the RBush catch for a TD where the Hog MLB was covering him. CHouston had to cover the WR on a short down-and-out. Bush must have been 15 yds down field, when he caught the ball. Houston recovered, and was gaining on Bush until Bush got up to full speed. After that, they were step-for-step, i.e., both about the same speed.

werehog

Bush was more about his ability to shift gears on the fly than he all out speed. He and LenDale White had about the same straight ahead speed but RBush was a phenominal broken field runner who ranks right up there with Gayle Sayers and Hugh (The King) McIhenny.

I think the biggest advantage that USC has over the Hogs is its superb coaching and its ability to adapt to any situation quickly. That said, I think Pete Carroll called a bone head play worthy of HDN when he decided to have LenDale White batter the center of the line on fourth down. Everyone in the stadium knew what was going to be called. A pooch punt would have sealed the 'Horns fate, but PC wanted to score a leave no doubt TD. In that case, pride certainly went beofore the fall.

The next biggest advantage USC has over the Razorbacks is its depth at every position, especially at WR and LB. Its OL will be the best in PC's tenure.

I have said that if we bring our A game and the crowd isn't taken out of the game early, I think we can give them a real game. If we don't, it could be another blow out. However, we will not face another team with the same talent level all season.

GuvHog

Arkansas DL Could be the Best that Southern Cal
Faces. That will be the difference.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hog caller

let their speed kill them because those traps will have no mercy. and can cause them to have huge holes to run in and the pass will already be gone. they better not come to the hill thinking they will blow us out like last year. we may be country boys but we know how to survive.

Gus don't care if you see the play board becauxe if you figire it out he can chage the code and the numbers will mean different things and they are also getting signals from the OC the numbers tells them how to line up.

i get excited just reading his book.if it works half as good as it reads we are in for a treat.

werehog

With the possible exception of the Oregon Ducks, the Hogs will be the best DL the Trojans face all fall. However, they will have the best OL we will see all fall.

GuvHog

Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!