Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This is a warning from someone who gets to see the Trojans every game they play

Started by werehog, June 02, 2006, 02:04:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

werehog

and gets to see many of the kids they recruit while in high school. Many of the key high school games are telecast every weekend. This Trojan defense will not be like the one the Hogs saw last year. Unless our OL learns to pass block in late summer practice it will be a long day for anyone who QB's the Hogs including Mitch. I know this is unpleasant to think about but the USC defense is going to flat out come after the Hogs with a speed that not even LSU or Auburn has. There offense isn't going to lose much. John David Booty will know the USC offense backwards and forwards. Mark Sanchez may start simply because he is brillant. their third string QB MacDonald was great in spring practice. They will be in great shape, they will be deep and they will hit hard. Y'all have me convinced that Mitch will be the man, if not now then very soon. That said, I don't think the USC game is an ideal place for him to debut.

kratter

If you are going to play USC anytime in this 5 year stretch, Sept. 2, 2006 will be the absolute best time to do so.
Before I start, I realize that they have us out-talented, no question about that, but...
they replace their entire backfield, and while those kids will be talented, they will have HUGE expectations, and they could get extremely rattled if they begin to struggle against lowly old Arkansas on national TV; and you can bet that RRS will be a hostile environment that night.  The same applies to their O-line.  Much talent, but can they take the pressure?

Also, our offense will be a complete mystery to them.  It could very well be a Mickey Mouse offense (though I don't think so), but even if it is, it will be a Mickey Mouse offense that they have really no way to prepare for.  While I don't like the misrepresentation for the spring game, I do agree with Nutt & Malzahn's decision not to show a whole lot.  There is really no reason to.  I mean seriously, how do the USC coaches prepare?   They will obviously watch game film from last year under OC Nutt, but will they really watch Springdale games?  And even if they do, we know that isn't going to be the same offense Gus runs here.  Again, they have the talent for the defensive side of the ball, but will they be caught off guard?

When I look at our schedule, trying to get my prediction for our record, I really see USC as a winable game, and when I say "winable", I mean 40/60 or 50/50.  I think it is a great opportunity.

BTW: That is with Dick or Mustain.
Aim for Greatness, you'll reach Greatness at best, Mediocrity at worst.
Aim for Mediocrity, you'll reach Mediocrity at best, Failure at worst.
-Kratter, 2004

WichitaStateRazorback

ClubChubby

Reggie will have to rattle the usc O, early and often, or they'll get rolling and blow us out again. Gus will need to get our guys' some confidence early. I just hope nutt doesn't limit gus.

Chief Mac

Quote from: werehog on June 02, 2006, 02:04:49 am
I know this is unpleasant to think about but the USC defense is going to flat out come after the Hogs with a speed that not even LSU or Auburn has.

Sorry but I have to call BS on the defensive speed quote.  Look at the number of SEC defenders versus what USC has produced and it's not even close.  I'm not saying that we don't need improvement in our pass blocking, but to say that our blocking will falter because we haven't seen this type of speed/talent is rediculous.  The SEC, as a whole, has better athletes than any conference out there.  As of last year, the SEC had 261 former players on NFL rosters opposed to 188 for the PAC-10.  5 SEC teams were in the top 10 producers of NFL talent. 

WPS

Chris

"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

GrizzledHogFan

Quote from: GaRZRBCK on June 02, 2006, 06:36:25 am
I know this is unpleasant to think about but the USC defense is going to flat out come after the Hogs with a speed that not even LSU or Auburn has.

Sorry but I have to call BS on the defensive speed quote.  Look at the number of SEC defenders versus what USC has produced and it's not even close.  I'm not saying that we don't need improvement in our pass blocking, but to say that our blocking will falter because we haven't seen this type of speed/talent is rediculous.  The SEC, as a whole, has better athletes than any conference out there.  As of last year, the SEC had 261 former players on NFL rosters opposed to 188 for the PAC-10.  5 SEC teams were in the top 10 producers of NFL talent. 

WPS

Chris

Yes, but how many of those 188 PAC-10 players were from USC?
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

JFHWGBKRIII

GrizzledHogFan

Quote from: kratter on June 02, 2006, 02:29:07 am
...and while those kids will be talented, they will have HUGE expectations, and they could get extremely rattled if they begin to struggle against lowly old Arkansas on national TV; and you can bet that RRS will be a hostile environment that night.  The same applies to their O-line.  Much talent, but can they take the pressure?

There's a slight chance USC may lose the game, but I can promise you that this won't be a factor.  The type of players USC recruits have dealt with pressure and expectations from a very young age.

Landonhog

Quote from: gmb_79 on June 02, 2006, 06:49:14 am
...and while those kids will be talented, they will have HUGE expectations, and they could get extremely rattled if they begin to struggle against lowly old Arkansas on national TV; and you can bet that RRS will be a hostile environment that night.  The same applies to their O-line.  Much talent, but can they take the pressure?

There's a slight chance USC may lose the game, but I can promise you that this won't be a factor.  The type of players USC recruits have dealt with pressure and expectations from a very young age.

California High Shcool Football, WOW!    I just can't find it in my heart to give that state a single drop of respect.....               70 - 17, I know....but....

NEAHAWG

The game scares the hell out of me but I am causiously optimistic.  It will be an opportunity for us to really shine.  USC looks like they might implode.  With all the controversy out there, they may come in here more ready than last year.  But this will be an opportunity to see what we are made of.

AZHog

the new Condom defense will be, but no one seems to publish their 40 times. Please provide some info so that we know your definition of fast.

Without a doubt, the SC defense will be improved and good, but the same can be said about the Hog offense.

Considering Ark's situation last season, the Hog offense did okay against the SC defense......I'm sure that their D will be some different, but can't be that much different.

If they have a defense full of sub 4.4/40 guys, then I guess they are fast.

AZHog

is plenty of SHS film available, two books and several notes from presentations. So, it will be no surprise to PC. Also, as an NFL defensive coach, PC has seen lots of offenses.

The key will be how well the Hogs run GM's O, provided he is allowed to run his O. That and a balanced O will make the SC D work for what they get.

WILL CLINTON

and when I say "winable", I mean 40/60 or 50/50. 

The only way I see those numbers coming into play, is "If we keep them from scoring 40/60 pts in the first half, we have a 50/50 chance of not getting blown out in our own stadium in the second half."
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

hogman64

and gets to see many of the kids they recruit while in high school. Many of the key high school games are telecast every weekend. This Trojan defense will not be like the one the Hogs saw last year. Unless our OL learns to pass block in late summer practice it will be a long day for anyone who QB's the Hogs including Mitch. I know this is unpleasant to think about but the USC defense is going to flat out come after the Hogs with a speed that not even LSU or Auburn has. There offense isn't going to lose much. John David Booty will know the USC offense backwards and forwards. Mark Sanchez may start simply because he is brillant. their third string QB MacDonald was great in spring practice. They will be in great shape, they will be deep and they will hit hard. Y'all have me convinced that Mitch will be the man, if not now then very soon. That said, I don't think the USC game is an ideal place for him to debut.

Ok i was following  you there for awhile but when you say .  "the offense isnt going to lose much"...at that point I knew you needed to put the robitussin bottle away....Reggie Bush, LenDale White, Matt  Leinert.........are you kidding?  wont lose much? that shows you dont realize how lucky you were that you could put all those guys on the field at the same time and that is a sign of a program that just thinks its going to go on winning them all  forever, whether you have Leinert or "I have never started a college game" john david booty at QB...Geeezzz man  you about to reenter the real world of college football..Wont lose much?  please be sure and post here again after the game and lets see if you are saying the same thing.............I will be very surprised if USC doesnt lose at least 3 games next season.  I am not saying they will lose to Arkansas but to say you dont lose much on offense is laughable.

hogsamongus

Here's a couple of reasons why we will beat USC:

1. This is a 100 on the Vengeance Scale(see Bill Simmons):
After the 70-17 drilling we took last year, the hogs will be hungry for some get back.

2.  Number 5 is on our side this time:  Look for Mcfadden to put up monster numbers in this game.

3.  The Trough:  Arkansas fans can create one of college's most intimidating atmospheres. They don't call it fayettenam for nothing.

4.  The Football Gods:  Hey, if Mack Brown can win a National Championship then shouldn't the Hogs  get some love?

SupaCrawf

their third string QB MacDonald was great in spring practice.

Dude, I don't want to scare the Trojans, but I heard RoJo was pretty good in Spring Practice, too....

Watch Out! :P
I'm kind of a big deal.

hogsNbeer

Quote from: hogsamongus on June 02, 2006, 09:30:19 am

After the 70-17 drilling we took last year, the hogs will be hungry for some get back.

2.  Number 5 is on our side this time:  Look for Mcfadden to put up monster numbers in this game.

3.  The Trough:  Arkansas fans can create one of college's most intimidating atmospheres. They don't call it fayettenam for nothing.

4.  The Football Gods:  Hey, if Mack Brown can win a National Championship then shouldn't the Hogs  get some love?

I don't know about 1 and 4..... but here it goes....

2.  I think #5 was on our team last year as well.

3. Yep that trough is tough for big time teams when they come to Fayetteville......NUTT, more than NOT, loses the big games in Fayetteville....... I don't know his record against ranked teams, or SEC teams.... But I know it's that good....

I can't find anything that tells me we can beat them... Smite away..

Chief Mac

Quote from: gmb_79 on June 02, 2006, 06:43:00 am

WPS

Chris

28 Trojans on NFL rosters in 2005.  Tennessee and Florida both had 37(ranked #2 overall in NFL players produced), UGA had 35 (#4), Auburn 31(#8), and LSU had 30 (#9).

The Trojans are not superior in talent to the top tier SEC teams.  The talent level will not shock us.  They have superior coaching and that is why they may beat us.

WPS

Chris
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

GuvHog

AZHog, Let me say it again. According to GM & AW, The
hogs will run a COMBINATION offense. It will be a Combination of
GM's offense + AW's offense + H. Nutt's offense, NOT just
GM's Offense!
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GrizzledHogFan

Quote from: GaRZRBCK on June 02, 2006, 09:49:17 am
The talent level will not shock us.

I don't know, Nutt may disagree with you about that.  Remember, "They score so fast and quick. It's hard to keep up."

MrSpook1352

Quote from: hogsNbeer on June 02, 2006, 09:47:33 am

I don't know about 1 and 4..... but here it goes....

2.  I think #5 was on our team last year as well.

3. Yep that trough is tough for big time teams when they come to Fayetteville......NUTT, more than NOT, loses the big games in Fayetteville....... I don't know his record against ranked teams, or SEC teams.... But I know it's that good....

I can't find anything that tells me we can beat them... Smite away..

#5 - DMac rushed for over 80 yards against USC last year.  It will take a lot more than DMac to beat them.  But the good news is that we have more this year - so it should be much more competitive.  We still most likely lose, but it shouldn't be nearly as ugly.

jvegashawg

The USC defense will be better than last year.  Our team will be running a brand new offense.  Even though I think the offense will be significantly better by year's end, the first few games we'll have some growing pains.  On the bright side, our defense should be better and their offense should be significantly worse.  Early prediction is something like 27-14 USC.  But with a few breaks who knows?   

Chief Mac

Quote from: gmb_79 on June 02, 2006, 10:09:38 am
The talent level will not shock us.

I don't know, Nutt may disagree with you about that.  Remember, "They score so fast and quick. It’s hard to keep up."

I'm not saying that Reggie Bush wasn't a phenominal talent, but Nutt and the mafia let our guys get intimidated and that is why we were taken to the woodshed.  We see the Trojans kind of talent at least 2-3 times a year, the talent level was not nor will not be a suprise.  Nutt is gonna have to do what he is SUPPOSEDLY good at and that is motivating the troops.  When properly motivated, we can hang with and occassionally beat anyone.

WPS

Chris

big boes

WPS

Chris

28 Trojans on NFL rosters in 2005.  Tennessee and Florida both had 37(ranked #2 overall in NFL players produced), UGA had 35 (#4), Auburn 31(#8), and LSU had 30 (#9).

The Trojans are not superior in talent to the top tier SEC teams.  The talent level will not shock us.  They have superior coaching and that is why they may beat us.

WPS

Chris

so what if usc is not more talented than the top sec teams, THE TOP SEC TEAMS BEAT US EVERY YEAR!  usc beat us 70-17 last year (and it could have been 100 - 0).  they redshirt guys like mcfadden, jones, mustain, etc. every year.  john david booty has been in the system 3 years and he will probably be as much of a drop off from lienart as lienart was from carson palmer (i.e., none).

i'm all for optimism.  but this is just ignorant.  usc is a FAR better team than we are with a FAR better coach and FAR better talent.  mustain has never played a down in college, malzahn has never coached a down and mcfadden, jones, monk, johnson, etc. were all non-factors in last year's game.  we had no defensive answeres for their offense (lienart had 18 completions for 400 yards, bush had 8 carries for 125 yards).  does anyone else remember 4 first quarter td's drives, none lasting more than 5 plays.  we'll be lucky to keep this game within 30 points.

Chief Mac

Quote from: big boes on June 02, 2006, 10:20:31 am

WPS

Chris

WPS

Chris

so what if usc is not more talented than the top sec teams, THE TOP SEC TEAMS BEAT US EVERY YEAR!  usc beat us 70-17 last year (and it could have been 100 - 0).  they redshirt guys like mcfadden, jones, mustain, etc. every year.  john david booty has been in the system 3 years and he will probably be as much of a drop off from lienart as lienart was from carson palmer (i.e., none).

i'm all for optimism.  but this is just ignorant.  usc is a FAR better team than we are with a FAR better coach and FAR better talent.  mustain has never played a down in college, malzahn has never coached a down and mcfadden, jones, monk, johnson, etc. were all non-factors in last year's game.  we had no defensive answeres for their offense (lienart had 18 completions for 400 yards, bush had 8 carries for 125 yards).  does anyone else remember 4 first quarter td's drives, none lasting more than 5 plays.  we'll be lucky to keep this game within 30 points.

I'm not one to hype moral victories, but we hang with the top teams in the SEC and we can hang/possibly beat USC.  I'm not saying we WILL beat USC, to the contrary I believe we will lose.  My point was if/when we lose it won't be because their talent is just so far superior to any team we play.

WPS

Chris

Hawgballz

What kool-aid have you been drinking???  You can't lose 2 Heisman winners and another 1st round running back and say "There offense isn't going to lose much".  WOW
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

LSUFan

Hogs will stomp the coon-dog-shiit out of the rubbers, uh, trojans. The players have payback on their minds, and will be in front of the home crowd.

USC ain't what they used to be, they sent 14 players to the NFL.

hogsanity

Since you see them so often how many of their players that do anything are from California Hs programs?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Ish O

I would bet that if someone was breaking into your house you would go hide in the closet. You seem so scared of USC that you might cry.

HogInaStrangeLand

This game isn't going to be pretty...period.

I don't know If USC will stomp us.
       (I really don't think they will, even the best teams don't usually beat us bad at home.)
I don't know if we'll stomp them.
       (they have the RAW talent, and someone on their sidelines will be willing to step up.)
I don't know if it'll come down to some close call.
       (seems like officiating has gotten to be too much of a factor.)

I do know it will be an ugly game...and I'll be yelling the whole way through.

Swynler Durden

Mack Brown once said something to the effect of "playing in Fayetteville is like parachuting into Russia."

I'm not big into making predictions because, lets face it, in regards to this game there are too many unknowns. For both teams. Gus and the new offense, HDN keeping his grubby mitts off of said offense, who will QB for either team, exactly how much improved is Herring's defense, USC's backfield, USC's defence, etc.

That said, I'm counting the days. Knowing that Herring has been stewing over the debacle in L.A. for almost a year has me very optimistic about our defensive preparedness. Malzahn has an opportunity to hush all the naysayers on a grand stage and I assure you he relishes the challenge. I played for the man in HS and those of you who doubt the man's brilliance should do so quietly. You may have to eat some words sooner than later. I am admittedly a darksider (trying to keep w/ hsv's positivity edict) but I am looking forward to what I hope to be a beautiful Saturday afternoon. I will be in the stands with goose bumps, a healthy buzz, and vocal chords that will give their all to the point that none of my co-workers will have any doubt where I was that weekend. I loathe USC fans almost as much as I loathe Texas and OU fans and I hope to be able to give all kinds of hell to every single one I see that day. Win or lose, that game will answer a lot of questions an I for one can't wait.

Chief Mac

Quote from: loanHog on June 02, 2006, 10:44:32 am
Mack Brown once said something to the effect of "playing in Fayetteville is like parachuting into Russia."

I'm not big into making predictions because, lets face it, in regards to this game there are too many unknowns. For both teams. Gus and the new offense, HDN keeping his grubby mitts off of said offense, who will QB for either team, exactly how much improved is Herring's defense, USC's backfield, USC's defence, etc.

That said, I'm counting the days. Knowing that Herring has been stewing over the debacle in L.A. for almost a year has me very optimistic about our defensive preparedness. Malzahn has an opportunity to hush all the naysayers on a grand stage and I assure you he relishes the challenge. I played for the man in HS and those of you who doubt the man's brilliance should do so quietly. You may have to eat some words sooner than later. I am admittedly a darksider (trying to keep w/ hsv's positivity edict) but I am looking forward to what I hope to be a beautiful Saturday afternoon. I will be in the stands with goose bumps, a healthy buzz, and vocal chords that will give their all to the point that none of my co-workers will have any doubt where I was that weekend. I loathe USC fans almost as much as I loathe Texas and OU fans and I hope to be able to give all kinds of hell to every single one I see that day. Win or lose, that game will answer a lot of questions an I for one can't wait.

Actually, it was Darryl Royal that made the comment "playing in Fayetteville is like parachuting into Russia".

WPS

Chris

GuvHog

LoanHog, I haven't heard anyone that's an Arkansas
fan say they doubt GM's Brilliance. I Sure Don't!
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Swynler Durden

Quote from: GaRZRBCK on June 02, 2006, 10:46:44 am
Quote from: loanHog on June 02, 2006, 10:44:32 am

Actually, it was Darryl Royal that made the comment "playing in Fayetteville is like parachuting into Russia".

WPS

Chris
Oops, my bad. Thanks

HognotinMemphis

It'll be a good day to tailgate in Fayetteville...if it is not too warm. My suggestion would be to stay at your tailgate and listen to the game on the radio. You will be back at your tailgate by halftime any way so might as well skip the first half and stay at your tailgate - this game will be very ugly for the Hogs.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Swynler Durden

Quote from: GUVHOG on June 02, 2006, 10:48:31 am
LoanHog, I haven't heard anyone that's an Arkansas
fan say they doubt GM's Brilliance. I Sure Don't!
I have heard a few from the central part of the state. There are those who think that those of us from NWA are smitten for no reason. It's justified to have concern for the transition period but the man has been waiting for this opportunity for many years. He is ready, hopefully the players will be too.

Hawgon

The blind and unwarranted optimism of Arkansas fans never seems to amaze me.  What reasons do you have for being so optimistic?   

We are going to get beat badly.  I don't know how badly, but it will be bad enough that there are going to be lots of questions asked around here the day after the game. 

But never fear, the huggers will take a week or two to regroup and with wins over a couple of cupcakes, will soon have us projected for a BCS bowl again.

Swynler Durden

Quote from: Hawgon on June 02, 2006, 11:02:06 am
The blind and unwarranted optimism of Arkansas fans never seems to amaze me.  What reasons do you have for being so optimistic?  

We are going to get beat badly.  I don't know how badly, but it will be bad enough that there are going to be lots of questions asked around here the day after the game. 

But never fear, the huggers will take a week or two to regroup and with wins over a couple of cupcakes, will soon have us projected for a BCS bowl again.

Don't mistake optimism for simply looking forward to football season. Whether we get monkey stomped or not, I am looking forward to the anticipation of the season beginning. One of the few joys of childhood I carry with me still. Goose bumps as I call the Hogs leading up to the first kickoff. Looking forward to that moment helps pass the summer. The blood bath that ensues shortly thereafter drags me back into reality, but the moments before are priceless. Do you walk into the stadium thinking "Oh shiite, here we go again" ?

The real Hogules

Quote from: HoginMemphis on June 02, 2006, 10:51:47 am
It'll be a good day to tailgate in Fayetteville...if it is not too warm. My suggestion would be to stay at your tailgate and listen to the game on the radio. You will be back at your tailgate by halftime any way so might as well skip the first half and stay at your tailgate - this game will be very ugly for the Hogs.

I can't believe that some of you are already admitting defeat to the Trojans!
I'm NOT going to stay at the tailgate party during the ballgame, just because we're playing the bunch of cheaters from the west coast and I expect to lose.
Hell, to the contrary I'm going to be there screaming my freaking lungs out for our team!
I don't think that we have little to no chance in this game, because our defense/their offense was the difference in the game last season and our defense has improved considerably and their offense will experience a dropoff.
Booty and Sanchez weren't the starters for a reason, Leinart (sp?) was better and the same goes with their tailbacks, they were backups for a reason.
Nutt's offense was like reading an open book to opposing defensive coordinators.
I think Carroll will have more trouble guessing what we're going to do with Gus calling the plays.
I'm looking forward to the rematch with USC and fully expect to win the game.
Others who are saying that we don't stand a chance are F.O.S. and I question where their TRUE loyalties lie!
Some people hate Nutt sooooooooo bad that they would rather see a Trojan blowout of the Hogs if it meant that HDN would be in hotter water than he's already in.
Me, I pull for the players even though I have little to NO use for our HC.
Our team will win "in spite of" as opposed to "because of" Houston Dale Nutt, because most return from last years team and they KNOW they're better than they showed last season in California.
Stay at the tailgate party my @$$!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Swynler Durden

Quote from: The real Hogules on June 02, 2006, 11:32:25 am

I'm NOT going to stay at the tailgate party during the ballgame, just because we're playing the bunch of cheaters from the west coast and I expect to lose.
Hell, to the contrary I'm going to be there screaming my freaking lungs out for our team!
I don't think that we have little to no chance in this game, because our defense/their offense was the difference in the game last season and our defense has improved considerably and their offense will experience a dropoff.
Booty and Sanchez weren't the starters for a reason, Leinart (sp?) was better and the same goes with their tailbacks, they were backups for a reason.
Nutt's offense was like reading an open book to opposing defensive coordinators.
I think Carroll will have more trouble guessing what we're going to do with Gus calling the plays.
Others who are saying that we don't stand a chance are F.O.S. and I question where their TRUE loyalties lie!
Some people hate Nutt sooooooooo bad that they would rather see a Trojan blowout of the Hogs if it meant that HDN would be in hotter water than he's already in.
Our team will win "in spite of" as opposed to "because of" Houston Dale Nutt, because most return from last years team and they KNOW they're better than they showed last season in California.
See his avatar

Hawgon

QuoteLooking forward to that moment helps pass the summer. The blood bath that ensues shortly thereafter drags me back into reality, but the moments before are priceless. Do you walk into the stadium thinking "Oh shiite, here we go again" ?

That is where we are different.  I actually loved the hogs so much that it put me in a terrible mood for a week to see them lose.  So no, I never just looked forward to a game or a season unless I had reason to expect that we would win.  Winning is the only thing that is fun for me.  Losing is (or at least was) completely gut wrenching and demoralizing.  So no, I don't look forward to games we aren't going to win.  Why look forward to becoming a moody and mad drunk?  Only some kind of sicko does that.

Eight years of Nutt have pretty much brought me to a point where I am numb.  If the hogs lose, it doesn't ruin my whole week.  I would rather be excited about things, but one can only take so much pain and dissapointment.

So, while the Nuttster has brought me to almost to mere apathy, I hope I never reach the point where I am just happy to go to a game because it is a game.  I still care about winning.

4th and 1

should be a good day for the game...there's not a lot of humidity in NWA unless its between the end of may and middle of august...so it should be alright.

Swynler Durden

Quote from: Hawgon on June 02, 2006, 11:43:50 am
QuoteLooking forward to that moment helps pass the summer. The blood bath that ensues shortly thereafter drags me back into reality, but the moments before are priceless. Do you walk into the stadium thinking "Oh shiite, here we go again" ?

That is where we are different.  I actually loved the hogs so much that it put me in a terrible mood for a week to see them lose.  So no, I never just looked forward to a game or a season unless I had reason to expect that we would win.  Winning is the only thing that is fun for me.  Losing is (or at least was) completely gut wrenching and demoralizing.  So no, I don't look forward to games we aren't going to win.  Why look forward to becoming a moody and mad drunk?  Only some kind of sicko does that.

Eight years of Nutt have pretty much brought me to a point where I am numb.  If the hogs lose, it doesn't ruin my whole week.  I would rather be excited about things, but one can only take so much pain and disappointment.

So, while the Nuttster has brought me to almost to mere apathy, I hope I never reach the point where I am just happy to go to a game because it is a game.  I still care about winning.

I think you misunderstood my point. To be clear, I have a highly competitive personality and no one hates to lose more than I do, I assure you. What I am talking about is the unknown of the beginning of the season. Nutt is a buffoon, but his hand has been forced in bringing in an offensive mastermind. We have talent on both sides of the ball and on the sideline. Will Nutt find a way to run the whole thing into the ground? You bet. But I hope it takes him a few games to figure out how. Last season I did not care b/c it was entirely too miserable an experience, this season I feel there is reason for hope. If nothing else I get to watch my old high school coach get his shot at the big time. That and I pay too much for tickets to completely give up.
The more games we win, the more likely Nutt gets an offer and bails.

hoggin das

Some valid points.  I for one think that the 70-17 shellacking was due largely to a combination of a defense that hadn't learned and/or put faith in the Herring system yet, a red-hot opposing team, a shell-shocked Hog team that gave up once things started getting out of hand, and the lack of experience and PT by freshmen such as DMac.

USC had several close road games last year, and I don't think the teams that played them close are any better than the Hogs will be this year. Furthermore, I expect the Trojans to drop off a little.

All in all, I like our chances.

BloodRedHog

We will lose but I think it will mirror the Miami games of 85 - 86.
Lose 52 - 3 I think and then make it a close one next year (loss 18-16.)
Handling all your mortgage and home financing needs...

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: The real Hogules on June 02, 2006, 11:32:25 am

When teams like USC need to replace a player, they say, "next". When teams like Arkansas need to replace a player, they say, "oh s.h.i.t".

If you want to kid yourself that there will be a dropoff in talent for USC, you have another 3 months to continue doing so. Enjoy!
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

MrSpook1352

Quote from: BloodRedHog on June 02, 2006, 12:23:26 pm
We will lose but I think it will mirror the Miami games of 85 - 86.
Lose 52 - 3 I think and then make it a close one next year (loss 18-16.)

Wasn't it 51-7?  I was too busy fighting with a Miami fan, so I don't remember off the top of my head.  Anyway, I think this is a reasonable comparison.  I think we'll be less intimidated, less predictable and more motivated.  USC won't have much drop-off from last year, but they should have a little.  Their talent level will still be quite high, but lesser experience and the lack of chance for the talent to gel should help us a little.

testis

werehog  i think you are seriusly underestimating the razorbacks new razzmatazz offense!!  with implementing malzahns new razzle dazzle schemes the s4 crew and dmac attack will put some serius razorburn on the usc defense!!  go hogs go!!

hogsNbeer

Quote from: testis on June 02, 2006, 02:29:17 pm
werehog  i think you are seriusly underestimating the razorbacks new razzmatazz offense!!  with implementing malzahns new razzle dazzle schemes the s4 crew and dmac attack will put some serius razorburn on the usc defense!!  go hogs go!!

I'll be eagerly waiting your posts after the game.....after the thumping we get...

MrSpook1352

Quote from: hogsNbeer on June 02, 2006, 02:42:59 pm
Quote from: testis on June 02, 2006, 02:29:17 pm

I'll be eagerly waiting your posts after the game.....after the thumping we get...

Most of us will not be eagerly awaiting anything if it's a thumping (except more major changes in the program).  I can accept that you think it will be a thumping, I'm just disappointed that you seem excited at the thought.  I hope you don't mean it to come across that way - you must be a big fan or you wouldn't be here.