Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Memphis beat Ole Miss

Started by Prestworthy, November 06, 2015, 04:19:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Prestworthy

How did they do it?  I wasn't able to watch the game.  For those that watched, how did they do it?

Nosboar Accubond

scored more points :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

hogman99

Good defense and great QB play

ricepig

Scored more points........mostly took advantage of some lackluster effort by the OM defense and dinked and dunked their way down the field.

woodhog14

Here's a write up about it from ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/recap?gameId=400603894

Here's some highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-C2YCqHp6k

Don't know if this helps you much, but it's better than nothing.

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

tophawg19

kind of like toledo beating us . Right place at the right time deal . the breaks all went their way
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Hogarusa

They did all sorts of things.  Ole miss countered with none of those things.  It was neat
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

elksnort

I'm thinking Memphis is better than Toledo. Not that this matters anyway.

ricepig

Quote from: elksnort on November 06, 2015, 04:45:45 pm

Yeah, no doubt.

elviscat

Memphis, came out of the gate really slow and got behind by 14-0. But, then they started moving the football on Ole Miss, Paxton Lynch the qb was lighting it up on OM defense. He is one of best qb in the country. He reminds me of Mallet arm but with wheels, he can run or throw. Memphis, running game started to click with it it's passing game and then it's defense shut OM down. They knock  out Robert Nkemdiche and gave him a concussion, he never return to the game. Memphis, one of the best coaches in the country and he has built his programs with a lot of walk-ons they had 80 walk-ons in the last three years. He is the guy we need at Arkansas, the guy can really coach. He has proven that he can build a program in a city like Memphis. Memphis, has had nothing over the last decade.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: Prestworthy on November 06, 2015, 04:19:35 pm
How did they do it?  I wasn't able to watch the game.  For those that watched, how did they do it?

Third down conversions were a big part of that game.

The Tigers continued Ole Miss' misery on third down, converting 60 percent of the time (12 of 20) on the do-or-die down.

HawgFan70

Memphis is a good team with a great QB and coach. Ole Miss went in there not inspired figuring if they showed up they win. Ole Miss jumps out early 14-0 the players probably lost their edge. Memphis kept fighting and won the game
being smited is a sign of having a backbone and not joining in with lil smiter gangs, fire away kids

bigred223

Nothing like Toledo game. Memphis whooped that a$$. Scored 37 straight I think.

MuskogeeHogFan

If you are seriously just interested in the game and how Memphis beat Ole Miss, this will give you the detail.

http://www.ncaa.com/game/football/fbs/2015/10/17/ole-miss-memphis/play-by-play

Forgive me of my suspicion, but I doubt that was really the point of this thread. Nonetheless, your request for more information about that game is fulfilled. Enjoy.
Go Hogs Go!

regi

Great QB play, they ran the ball much better than Ole Miss (kid from West Memphis was a beast). and the WORST pass defense in America (Memphis), made enough plays and limited Ole Miss' big plays....similar to how we would have to do it. They were also the more physical team.

NaturalStateReb

Plus we're Memphis' super bowl. They played great, we played bad, got beat.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

daBoar

Key stat in the game, besides Memphis won the game (played in Memphis)..............third down conversions.

Ole Miss 4 of 13.  Memphis 12 of 20. 

You would have thought Ole Miss had played Bama.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: hogman99 on November 06, 2015, 04:20:50 pm
Simple version yes. OM made some bad decisions, probably could have kicked a couple FG that would have taken Memphis down a notch or two, instead got stoned on 4th down, and just fed Memphis confidence! Memphis took some chances on defense and it paid off!

LZH

I watched the whole game.  Memphis has a QB that's for real (and pretty mobile to be so big/tall), and he read the Reb defense very well all day.  They consistently ran hi-lo routes and Ole Miss looked like they'd never seen it before.  That, and Memphis' OL protected their big QB pretty well.  As for their defense, they didn't flip out whenever Ole Miss made a big play.  They kept cool and kept playing hard.

I don't think OM was prepared to play, and/or they overlooked Memphis....by the time Memphis had their full attention, they went into panic mode as much as they did anything else.

They are beatable.  In Oxford, by us?....it's a long shot.  But they are beatable.

kaptainkory

I guess we'll have to beat them some other way then.

Prestworthy

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 06, 2015, 06:51:53 pm
If you are seriously just interested in the game and how Memphis beat Ole Miss, this will give you the detail.

http://www.ncaa.com/game/football/fbs/2015/10/17/ole-miss-memphis/play-by-play

Forgive me of my suspicion, but I doubt that was really the point of this thread. Nonetheless, your request for more information about that game is fulfilled. Enjoy.
What did you think my point was?

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

GoHogs1091

3 reasons.

1.  Memphis' QB play. 
2.  Memphis didn't panic when they were down early.  A reflection of the personality of their Head Coach (Justin Fuente).  Ole Miss seem to be panicking towards the end of the 3rd Quarter and throughout the 4th Quarter.
3.  Memphis had the motivation to prove to the nation that they could win against a ranked SEC opponent.

Smokehouse

They certainly didn't have "great" defense. Memphis played bend-but-don't-break and managed to clamp down in the red zone, but a lot of that was some questionable play calling by Ole Miss along with Kelly making some bad decisions.

What they did consistently do was stop Ole Miss when they tried to convert third-and-shorts by running the ball, including knocking Nkemdiche out of the game when Ole Miss got gadget-y and put him in to run it. Ole Miss hasn't been great with third-and-short all season, so I'm not sure why they tried as often as they did to get the run game going when Memphis has a paper thin secondary.

And, as other said, Lynch was fantastic. Guy is going to be a high NFL draft pick. Along with what he did throwing, he picked up some first downs scrambling and their running back had a really good game running to the edge and making a few guys miss.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

PORKULATOR

Quote from: Nosboar Accubond on November 06, 2015, 04:20:23 pm
scored more points :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
Sometimes its funny being the smartazz, this was one of those times. 😂+1
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: elviscat on November 06, 2015, 05:06:39 pm
Paxton Lynch the qb was lighting it up on OM defense. He is one of best qb in the country.

Paxton Lynch isn't one of the best QB's in the nation.  He is THE best.

He definitely goes in the NFL draft as the first QB taken.  If there is a better one out there in the college game, I sure haven't seen him.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 06, 2015, 09:25:01 pm
3 reasons.

1.  Memphis' QB play. 
2.  Memphis didn't panic when they were down early.  A reflection of the personality of their Head Coach (Justin Fuente).  Ole Miss seem to be panicking towards the end of the 3rd Quarter and throughout the 4th Quarter.
3.  Memphis had the motivation to prove to the nation that they could win against a ranked SEC opponent.

Sounds like I'd rather us be playing Ole Miss than Memphis.

Our D is good enough to give them the same kinds of problems.

Our offense has shown it can run the ball as well as Memphis can throw it.

Getting more optimistic....
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Smokehouse

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on November 06, 2015, 10:10:09 pm
Sounds like I'd rather us be playing Ole Miss than Memphis.

Our D is good enough to give them the same kinds of problems.

Our offense has shown it can run the ball as well as Memphis can throw it.

Getting more optimistic....

Kelly had a really flat game against Ole Miss, and the team seemed to lose a step after Ndkemdiche got hurt (it still baffles me that they felt the need to risk him getting injured to try and convert a 3rd and 1 when they were already committed to taking two cracks at it. I get it at the goal line, but there? Just run two QB sneaks and hope Kelly falls the right way once). I was hoping they'd pull a patented Ole Miss swoon after that and be similarly flat when we got to them but they seem to be holding it together. I think they'll play better tomorrow than against Memphis.

Ole Miss also made Memphis' D look way better than it was in that game. We could shred Memphis on offense, probably better than we'll be able to do against Ole Miss tomorrow. That said, Lynch is the real deal and I don't think we'd stop Memphis either. I would trust Lynch to make less mistakes than Kelly. I think taking everything into account, though, I'd feel better against Memphis than Ole Miss. Both are bad matchups on paper for the Hogs.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

razorbackchamps94

Memphis Qb is good .. That's how they won

SPAL

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on November 06, 2015, 09:56:31 pm
Paxton Lynch isn't one of the best QB's in the nation.  He is THE best.

He definitely goes in the NFL draft as the first QB taken.  If there is a better one out there in the college game, I sure haven't seen him.

I still think Goff is the first QB taken, but Lynch is good.

scruf

Quote from: elksnort on November 06, 2015, 04:45:45 pm
Agree.

scruf

Here, just watch the shortened version of the game on youtube (contains every snap)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-MRxzX_jIg

...and stop larding up the board with your passive aggressive anti-Arkansas rhetoric - don't play dumb, you're not a fan when you're actively hoping for the team to lose. That's what your post history says. It's undeniable. Go back to the fan board of the team/coach you worship and stay there.

Prestworthy

Quote from: scruf on November 07, 2015, 03:08:40 am
Here, just watch the shortened version of the game on youtube (contains every snap)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-MRxzX_jIg

...and stop larding up the board with your passive aggressive anti-Arkansas rhetoric - don't play dumb, you're not a fan when you're actively hoping for the team to lose. That's what your post history says. It's undeniable. Go back to the fan board of the team/coach you worship and stay there.
You gathered that from my post history? Get a life.

And thanks for the video.

TNRazorbacker

zane

Lynch is the real deal. He'd be a starter for 90% of P5 teams.

Their defense is solid

Their coach is going to have a large pay day during the off season. Headed to UGA maybe?
RIP LSUfan