Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So what happened with Pinalto?

Started by charlie harper, May 16, 2006, 09:53:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TulsaHogFan

Mrspook, by your logic we never know which 4 are gonna pan out.  Do you understand what you just wrote? If we don't know which 4 will pan out, why do we worry about who we offer? Just pick 24 random kids and see what happens according to your theory.

If we don't know which 4 will pan out why even recruit, just pick 30 or so we can get and offer em all. First 24 to sign get the spots and worry about panning out later.

Sorry man but I don't follow you.  I believe it is more important to target and aquire the kids you want than just get pure volume in numbers. You know quality over quantity.

MrSpook1352

Quote from: excoach on May 16, 2006, 12:46:55 pm
MrSpook1352, you've got to be a Nutt Hugger.

You've got to be a darksider, because you have to call me derogatory names, instead of telling me which 4 in the current class will "not pan out."

pseudorabies

Quote from: reddogfan on May 16, 2006, 12:15:57 pm
Quote from: HawgBall06 on May 16, 2006, 11:37:49 am
Lets handle this like a court case you have witnesses with different stories, so who do you believe?  Lets go to the physical evidence:  Gus offered the kid from Paris and he accepted well ahead of Pinalto's decision, now I for one usually ask the girl that I most want to go out with first and then if I get turned down I go to the next one, so I am guessing that Freeman was his first choice and isn't there another kid who is a TE/OL from Northeast Arkansas who was offered and has accepted already (if I remember correctly, will have to look that one up).  I think it is plain to see that Pinalto was not at the top of Gus's list and we do have other needs.  I am very glad that Pinalto got an offer from a top D-1 school and when they play I will cheer for him and hope the other 21 shorthorns get their foot hung in a bucket milking a bull. :)
You are missing THE point.  Arkansas did offer Zack AFTER Texas had already offered and he accepted.  Gus told him, before he accepted the Texas offer that he wanted to offer, but could not at that time. 
The reason we lost Zack was because the STAFF (not Malzahn) was slow to evaluate and offer.  My biggest concern for our recruiting is that we are way behind the 8 ball compared to other "top tier" programs.  Most of the "big time" schools already have a majority of their top junior prospects evaluated and offer shortly after signing. 
You are not going to get the cream of the crop if you wait until summer camps to offer. 
Why does Tejada have to come to came before Arkansas will consider offering him? 

Because Nutt doesn't recruit kickers.  I bet he will try and talk Tejada into walking on.  ::)

reddogfan

Quote from: MrSpook1352 on May 16, 2006, 12:53:14 pm
Quote from: excoach on May 16, 2006, 12:46:55 pm
MrSpook1352, you've got to be a Nutt Hugger.

You've got to be a darksider, because you have to call me derogatory names, instead of telling me which 4 in the current class will "not pan out."
The 4 that are expendable...face it, if we need them, we do everything in our power to keep them. 

TulsaHogFan

reddogfan

Quote from: pseudorabies on May 16, 2006, 12:53:53 pm
Quote from: reddogfan on May 16, 2006, 12:15:57 pm
Quote from: HawgBall06 on May 16, 2006, 11:37:49 am
Lets handle this like a court case you have witnesses with different stories, so who do you believe?  Lets go to the physical evidence:  Gus offered the kid from Paris and he accepted well ahead of Pinalto's decision, now I for one usually ask the girl that I most want to go out with first and then if I get turned down I go to the next one, so I am guessing that Freeman was his first choice and isn't there another kid who is a TE/OL from Northeast Arkansas who was offered and has accepted already (if I remember correctly, will have to look that one up).  I think it is plain to see that Pinalto was not at the top of Gus's list and we do have other needs.  I am very glad that Pinalto got an offer from a top D-1 school and when they play I will cheer for him and hope the other 21 shorthorns get their foot hung in a bucket milking a bull. :)
You are missing THE point.  Arkansas did offer Zack AFTER Texas had already offered and he accepted.  Gus told him, before he accepted the Texas offer that he wanted to offer, but could not at that time. 
The reason we lost Zack was because the STAFF (not Malzahn) was slow to evaluate and offer.  My biggest concern for our recruiting is that we are way behind the 8 ball compared to other "top tier" programs.  Most of the "big time" schools already have a majority of their top junior prospects evaluated and offer shortly after signing. 
You are not going to get the cream of the crop if you wait until summer camps to offer. 
Why does Tejada have to come to came before Arkansas will consider offering him? 

Because Nutt doesn't recruit kickers.  I bet he will try and talk Tejada into walking on.  ::)
Then we won't get him. 

bigred7987

Were you around this time last year? This is the first year where so many kids are committing this early.  But what you fail to realize is that to these kids its not a matter of who the first one offered, most of the time.  It's a matter of where is the best place for me.  And once that offer is there its there and you can't tell me a recruit will refuse to look at an offer if its late just because they weren't the first ones to offer.  Kids wont short change themselves and risk making a mistake by ruling out a team just because they are late in offering.  Anyone remember Damian and Ben commits to Florida?  Yes that happened early but they will be on the Hill next year.  Anyone remember Felix Jones coming in the 23rd hour to Arkansas over UT and Texas A&M?  Don't try to say that we are screwed if we aren't the first ones to offer because if it was just a race to see who offers first then recruiting would be over in May/June.  But its not because recruiting is a process of building a relatioship with a recruit and convincing him that the university you represent is the best fit for them to succeed for the next 4-5 years of their life. 

MrSpook1352

Quote from: TulsaHogFan on May 16, 2006, 12:50:59 pm
Mrspook, by your logic we never know which 4 are gonna pan out.  Do you understand what you just wrote? If we don't know which 4 will pan out, why do we worry about who we offer? Just pick 24 random kids and see what happens according to your theory.

If we don't know which 4 will pan out why even recruit, just pick 30 or so we can get and offer em all. First 24 to sign get the spots and worry about panning out later.

Sorry man but I don't follow you.  I believe it is more important to target and aquire the kids you want than just get pure volume in numbers. You know quality over quantity.

Not arguing over picking quality.  Only saying that fewer scollies means fewer opportunities to be right.  Fewer schollies do affect likelihood of success to some degree.  Darksiders just want to completely dismiss the schollie limits as being irrelevant.  Nutt huggers want to say they're everything.  They aren't the whole story, but they aren't irrelevant.  Nutt has done poorly on picking quality AND the schollie limits hurt too.  It's a mix - neither is irrelevant.

reddogfan

Quote from: bigred7987 on May 16, 2006, 12:55:18 pm
Were you around this time last year? This is the first year where so many kids are committing this early.  But what you fail to realize is that to these kids its not a matter of who the first one offered, most of the time.  It's a matter of where is the best place for me.  And once that offer is there its there and you can't tell me a recruit will refuse to look at an offer if its late just because they weren't the first ones to offer.  Kids wont short change themselves and risk making a mistake by ruling out a team just because they are late in offering.  Anyone remember Damian and Ben commits to Florida?  Yes that happened early but they will be on the Hill next year.  Anyone remember Felix Jones coming in the 23rd hour to Arkansas over UT and Texas A&M?  Don't try to say that we are screwed if we aren't the first ones to offer because if it was just a race to see who offers first then recruiting would be over in May/June.  But its not because recruiting is a process of building a relatioship with a recruit and convincing him that the university you represent is the best fit for them to succeed for the next 4-5 years of their life. 
I didn't say be the "first" to offer.    For a majority of the top recruits, it is in fact over by June or July, they just may not have pulled the trigger for a number of reasons.    Damian and Ben are not good examples.  I can not argue this point with you ...
If I am one of the top QB/WR/LB/K/OL/DE in the nation and you tell me to come to camp before you offer, and I already have 25 offers...well, you can basically kiss me goodbye. 

pseudorabies

This reminds me of something I was told a while back.  I have been told that Nutt takes an attitude with some in-state kids like they should feel privileged to be offered to play for Arkansas regardless of how bad the record was the previous year. 

I grew up dreaming of playing for the Hogs but just like these kids, you have to be realistic and don't want to be jerked around wondering if the MSM will ever get their head out of their ass and figure things out.  I don't blame these kids at all for committing to other schools when they offer instead of playing the "Nutt shuck and jive" with Dale.

excoach

I'm saying your a nutt hugger because your reasoning lacks credibility. You keep saying lets take 4 schollies away from Gus. Why? He's part of the Arkansas staff isn't he? Your defending Nutt by buying into the NCAA sanctions is why we had losing seasons in 04 & 05. The point I'm making and I know I'm right is that is a way for Nutt to pass the buck for lack recruiting  D-1 athletes, and his staff's ability to coach. Sorry if I offended you, wasn't my intention.

The Recruiting Guy

Quote from: pseudorabies on May 16, 2006, 09:58:02 am
Zack really wanted an offer from us.  Gus wanted to offer him, Nutt didn't.  He got an offer from Texas around the time he was down there for a visit that had a time limit on it so he took it and committed to Texas.  When Nutt finally got around to giving Malzahn the "ok" Zack told them thanks but he was firmly committed to Texas. 

He's a Arkansas kid that wanted an offer from the U of A. Texas beat the Hogs to the punch.

Texas is very organized when it comes to recruiting. They show in detail a four year plan for that particular kid. That has to impress a 18 year kid.

MrSpook1352

If you know you're right and you know I'm a Nutt Hugger then why argue with me?  And I'm not offended at all. I love it when someone thinks I'm a Nutt Hugger because it proves they don't know what they're talking about.  Doesn't offend me just makes me laugh.  I never said we had losing seasons BECAUSE of the sanctions.  I said they had SOME impact.  Too many want to claim they had NO impact, because they just want to bash some more.  Nutt is a below average coach.  But the sanctions hurt us some.  If you take away 4 it does some damage (otherwise why use them as sanctions).

reddogfan

Quote from: The Recruiting Guy on May 16, 2006, 01:04:09 pm
Zack really wanted an offer from us.  Gus wanted to offer him, Nutt didn't.  He got an offer from Texas around the time he was down there for a visit that had a time limit on it so he took it and committed to Texas.  When Nutt finally got around to giving Malzahn the "ok" Zack told them thanks but he was firmly committed to Texas. 

He's a Arkansas kid that wanted an offer from the U of A. Texas beat the Hogs to the punch.

Texas is very organized when it comes to recruiting. They show in detail a four year plan for that particular kid. That has to impress a 18 year kid.

By FEBRUARY of last year, Texas had their junior prospects evaluated.  They knew who they wanted, how they would benefit the team and ranked according to position and need.  They jump on these kids early and they let it be known that they are going after who they want and what they need.  Texas is not the only school that recruits this way. 

pseudorabies

Quote from: reddogfan on May 16, 2006, 01:11:30 pm

By FEBRUARY of last year, Texas had their junior prospects evaluated.  They knew who they wanted, how they would benefit the team and ranked according to position and need.  They jump on these kids early and they let it be known that they are going after who they want and what they need.  Texas is not the only school that recruits this way. 

I think a better way to say that would be.......Arkansas is one of a few schools that do not recruit that way. 

bigred7987

I look at where we are right now...We have 5 commitments...
Texas has 19...far away better than everyone else in the country..not just us.
Here is the rest of the SEC
Bama 3
Auburn 3
Ole Miss 12 (not surprising considering how good Orgeron is at recruiting)
LSU 7
Miss State 12 (Almost all from MS tho)
Florida 6
Tennessee 5
South Carolina 2
Kentucky 1
Georgia 5
Vandy 1
You guys talk about how we are so far behind yet the numbers don't show that do they?

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: reddogfan on May 16, 2006, 01:11:30 pm

Not ONLY is he an Arkansas kid... he's an Arkansas kid who played high school football under our very own Offensive Coordinator.  How in the hell can Texas "evaluate" Zach's talent faster than Arkansas in this situation?!!  Don't you think Gus already knew how talented Zach is?!!!

"(Malzahn) said, 'I like you and I'd like to get you an offer, but coach (Houston) Nutt just thinks we have too many tight ends and receivers," Pianalto said. "I respect that."

Then, low and behold, HDN decides to go ahead approve a schollie offer for Zach AFTER Texas offers.  Jeeze, how hard is it to see where the problem lies here?

reddogfan

Quote from: bigred7987 on May 16, 2006, 01:23:36 pm
Bama 3
Auburn 3
LSU 7
Florida 6
Tennessee 5
South Carolina 2
Kentucky 1
Georgia 5
Vandy 1
You guys talk about how we are so far behind yet the numbers don't show that do they?
Maybe you misunderstood me, or I didn't make myself clear.  I didn't mean to imply that the kids were committing to these schools by summer...except of course, Texas. 
Here's the deal.  The only kids that what desperately to come to Arkansas whether the offer comes in February or December are instate kids.  We don't have enough instate talent to load our team.  Therefore we have to do a majority of our recruiting out of state (unlike FL, TX, CA)  We have great facilities and live in a wonderful part of the country, but who the heck would know if they don't come here. Kids have only a limited amount of time in the spring/summer to make trips.  Naturally, they are going to visit the schools that have a strong interest in them, i.e. they have already developed a strong relationship with their recruiter and have an offer in hand.  They are not just going to "pop" on over to little ole' Arkansas in the hopes of landing an offer if they already have offers from the "big boys."   They are going to go where they are desperately wanted and that means the schools who offered early. So the top recruits are pretty much narrowing down their options during the early summer.  Some may save their commitment until after they have an official visit late in the season, but some will commit prior to their season.   
Are we wasting our time recruiting the top players against TX, USC, FL, MI, etc...maybe, maybe not. Remember, those guys are LOADED at every position.
This year, with the promised changes in the offense and the players we have on board, will determine if we will be able to compete in the recruiting war in the future.  If things don't pan out as promised and start winning big, we will never consistantly pull in top recruits and it is unlikely we will be able to rise to a NC level.

Theolesnort

Quote from: bigred7987 on May 16, 2006, 01:23:36 pm
Bama 3
Auburn 3
LSU 7
Florida 6
Tennessee 5
South Carolina 2
Kentucky 1
Georgia 5
Vandy 1
The numbers show kinda middle of the pack. Uh oh. Look this thread is not hard to figure out is it? If you are consistently a day late and a dollar short then in a business you go out and meet the competition at their own game. You start in your own backyard and work outward. You don't let Texas come from several hundred miles away and beat you to the punch. If you do shame on you.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

bigred7987

Actually it shows Miss State and Ole Miss ahead of us along with Florida and LSU.  That makes us 5th but then you take into account that its Ole Miss and Miss. State and we are 3rd so not exactly middle of the pack.  Then again...are Auburn and Alabama considered middle of the pack? 
Also reddog...maybe your not aware of when kids take their visits.  Yes they go to camps but most visits are in November, December, and January.  Our biggest visit day was January 10th which we basically got everyone from that weekend this past recruiting season.  Camps are good and help....but the official visit is where you lay everything you got out.  Also it goes back to a kid doing what is best for them.  If our coaches can convince them that their is a chance that Arkansas is the place for them and get them to take a visit, which contrary to what some of you seem to think isn't just during the summer but during the fall and winter, then we are still where we need to be which is the recruits we want on campus.  I used to be like you guys all pessimistic about life and considering whether or not to wake up in the morning since hell everything sucks so damn bad and I just feel like whining about it anyways.  But then I realized that this whole thing is a process and while in October and September I thought we would be royally screwed.  Everything works itself out and it does almost every year and if it can work itself out in other years where things looked alot more ******** than this year...then I know this year will be just fine and probably better than most. 

tophawg19

the last 4 or 5 scholarships are usually given to kids who may be a reach anyway so loosing those shouldn't hurt that much anyway . these are the ones who show promise so you take a chance on them when you can't get the ones you set out to get.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

bigred7987

http://arkansas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=544346
for those pessimist out there who say we can offer all we want doesn't matter etc...this shows the Malzahn affect and that he is going after who he wants regardless of where they are unlike in years past...anyone remember the last time we offered 3 players from Indiana in one year and received considerable attention from at least one of them?

hogfan1

Arkansas and Texas recruiting are so different there is no point in even comparing the two.   

Theolesnort

Quote from: bigred7987 on May 16, 2006, 02:38:55 pm
Actually it shows Miss State and Ole Miss ahead of us along with Florida and LSU.  That makes us 5th but then you take into account that its Ole Miss and Miss. State and we are 3rd so not exactly middle of the pack.  Then again...are Auburn and Alabama considered middle of the pack? 
Also reddog...maybe your not aware of when kids take their visits.  Yes they go to camps but most visits are in November, December, and January.  Our biggest visit day was January 10th which we basically got everyone from that weekend this past recruiting season.  Camps are good and help....but the official visit is where you lay everything you got out.  Also it goes back to a kid doing what is best for them.  If our coaches can convince them that their is a chance that Arkansas is the place for them and get them to take a visit, which contrary to what some of you seem to think isn't just during the summer but during the fall and winter, then we are still where we need to be which is the recruits we want on campus.  I used to be like you guys all pessimistic about life and considering whether or not to wake up in the morning since hell everything sucks so damn bad and I just feel like whining about it anyways.  But then I realized that this whole thing is a process and while in October and September I thought we would be royally screwed.  Everything works itself out and it does almost every year and if it can work itself out in other years where things looked alot more ******** than this year...then I know this year will be just fine and probably better than most. 
You are missing the point. The recruiting game is changing. The big boys are more organized and are cherry picking the talent earlier. It is time to go to work here too.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

pseudorabies

If you don't see whats wrong with your logic, then I don't know what to say to you.  And here is a hint that might help you out a bit......I would be willing to wager that reddogfan knows more about when kids take their visits than you do.

reddogfan

Also reddog...maybe your not aware of when kids take their visits. 
You're right...I'm probably clueless.  I don't have a lick of recruiting sense. Arkansas has just done a dandy job of recruiting in the past and it has certainly paid off big.
When they start listening to people who have experienced what actually works in recruiting, maybe, just maybe, Arkansas will become competative. Fortunately, a few of them are listening...

SonOfMud

To summarize:

Malzahn wanted to offer Pinalto.  HDN said no because they already had enough WRs and TEs. 

Pinalto gets an offer from Texas, and commits.  HDN then says it is okay to offer. 

Obviously we can all see the problem with this scenario.  If it takes this long for HDN to evaluate talent instate and finally decide this kid needs and offer (also see Green as an example), then imagine how long it takes for him to evaluate talent outside the state.  And these aren't little school offers.  These are National Powerhouse offers.  With Texas they have a ton of kids instate to evaluate.  With USC they have the same thing.  Yet they (Texas and USC) are able to do this in a timely manner and still have the time to evaluate kids outside their state (in this case I am talking about the kids in Arkansas) and offer before the Hogs can offer the same kids (that are instate).  This is an issue.

And to think, our recruiting was suppose to take a step up because we have new recruiting positions created on the staff.  Looks like it is doing wonders.
"They were like brothers to me, and when I say 'brother', I don't mean like a literal brother.  I mean it the way black people use it, which is more meaningful, I think."

Swino

Quote from: SonOfMud on May 16, 2006, 03:02:43 pm
To summarize:

Malzahn wanted to offer Pinalto.  HDN said no because they already had enough WRs and TEs. 

Pinalto gets an offer from Texas, and commits.  HDN then says it is okay to offer. 

Obviously we can all see the problem with this scenario.  If it takes this long for HDN to evaluate talent instate and finally decide this kid needs and offer (also see Green as an example), then imagine how long it takes for him to evaluate talent outside the state.  And these aren't little school offers.  These are National Powerhouse offers.  With Texas they have a ton of kids instate to evaluate.  With USC they have the same thing.  Yet they (Texas and USC) are able to do this in a timely manner and still have the time to evaluate kids outside their state (in this case I am talking about the kids in Arkansas) and offer before the Hogs can offer the same kids (that are instate).  This is an issue.

And to think, our recruiting was suppose to take a step up because we have new recruiting positions created on the staff.  Looks like it is doing wonders.

Bravo!

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: reddogfan on May 16, 2006, 02:53:13 pm
You're right...I'm probably clueless.  I don't have a lick of recruiting sense.

LMAO!!!

reddogfan

Quote from: FLKeysGuy on May 16, 2006, 03:17:24 pm

LMAO!!!
I guess I should fess up that I am really Otis so people will know not to argue with me...LMAO too:)

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: reddogfan on May 16, 2006, 03:21:32 pm

LMAO!!!
I guess I should fess up that I am really Otis so people will know not to argue with me...LMAO too:)

You da man Otis!!!

Theolesnort

Quote from: SonOfMud on May 16, 2006, 03:02:43 pm
To summarize:

This is an issue. Four little words that should carry a big punch when contemplating their meaning. No huggers all is not well and no darksiders the sky ain't fallin. It is just we have serious room for improvement.

pseudorabies

LMAO!!!

No way you should lower yourself to that. 

reddogfan

Quote from: FLKeysGuy on May 16, 2006, 03:24:01 pm

LMAO!!!

You da man Otis!!!
Thanks man...we don't need PiAnalto anyway...we got this great kid that nobody knows about over in Montana...been offered by Tallahassee Tech, Missouri Southwest Institute, and Idaho State.  Didn't play his junior year but I'm telling you, he's a sleeper!  We're on him hard but we want him to come to camp in June. 

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: reddogfan on May 16, 2006, 03:28:22 pm

LMAO!!!

You da man Otis!!!
Thanks man...we don't need PiAnalto anyway...we got this great kid that nobody knows about over in Montana...been offered by Tallahassee Tech, Missouri Southwest Institute, and Idaho State.  Didn't play his junior year but I'm telling you, he's a sleeper!  We're on him hard but we want him to come to camp in June. 

You don't usually give valuable info like this away for free, do you?!!!

pseudorabies

LMAO!!!

You da man Otis!!!

Thats great stuff......Almost as good as when Otis said we had the inside track on Chris Farbinkle.

Theolesnort

LMAO!!!

You da man Otis!!!
Yep reminds me of Otis telling us our safety problems were over if we got this certain guy from up there somewheres. Well that wasn't exactly fair of me cause West may yet prove to be a player and then again maybe not.

reddogfan

Quote from: FLKeysGuy on May 16, 2006, 03:31:43 pm

LMAO!!!

You da man Otis!!!

I'm the new Hogville recruiting guru...didn't they tell you guys!  They pay me big bucks to stalk the prospects at every unofficial and official visit and call them constantly.  Course, I don't bug them much cuz after a couple of months, for some reason, they never seem to be home.  But I'll track them down and get the story for you guys...

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: reddogfan on May 16, 2006, 03:36:37 pm
Quote from: FLKeysGuy on May 16, 2006, 03:31:43 pm

LMAO!!!

You da man Otis!!!

I'm the new Hogville recruiting guru...didn't they tell you guys!  They pay me big bucks to stalk the prospects at every unofficial and official visit and call them constantly.  Course, I don't bug them much cuz after a couple of months, for some reason, they never seem to be home.  But I'll track them down and get the story for you guys...

reddogfan

Quote from: ImHogginIt on May 16, 2006, 03:57:52 pm
Quote from: FtheDarksiders on May 16, 2006, 11:14:08 am
We have other needs on the team....we signed a great tight end last year in Ben.  It would be great to sign every hometown kid that comes along, but that will never happen.  So a kid doesn't get an offer and that makes Nutt a horrible recruiter?  Maybe its just that we need other players in other positions for the better of the entire team....you don't need a huge stockpile of TE's in the SEC.

Ben Cleveland is a better DE than TE in my opinion. Should have offered the Pinalto kid. After we win 8 games and some school like Kentucky does us a favor and hires Nutt then maybe the new coach can switch Pinalto to become a Hog
Disagree with me again, and I will ban you.

LOL! 

Theolesnort

Ben would make a heck ov a linebacker too. He will be good where ever they put him.

Porkahontas

What I've learned so far (a summary of the summary SonofMud gave and then some):

1) Nutt is still an idiot. He appears to be a bigger idiot each day I hear something new about him. "Hey, I know, let's wait until AFTER a top notch kid from Arkansas commits to a national power before we offer! Hey! I love that helmet! They should too!"

2) Bigred and spook are WAY WAY in over their heads on this argument. Give up, wave the white flag, take your licks and pick your battles better. You're not winning this one.

3) Nutt screwed the pooch on Zack. We can only hope Nutt is darn-canned before signing day so Butch (or whoever steps in) can undo the 9th straight year of screwing up during recruiting season.

4) Excoach seems to know what the hell he's talking about. One of the few newer posters who seems to have a clue.

5) While reddogfan seems to know a thing or two about recruiting, I'm doubting he is Otis Kirk. I can read the sentences, they make sense, and there's an element of truth to what RDF is saying over and over. Plus, Otis isn't going to post somewhere where he doesn't have his trusty 'delete' and 'ban' keys handy for when someone disagrees with him.  :-X

6) Someone made this point earlier. We don't have any SEC caliber TE's on campus right now. Zack is an SEC caliber TE. Does Houston Nutt frick up everything this badly to hold on to his infamous "we do more with less" slogan, or is he really this damn stupid?

7) Me thinks this "Recruiting Guy" person is gonna kick the darn out of some ass-kissers over on hawgs illustrated and the razors edge in the coming weeks. What?! FOR FREE?!! We get real information on recruits for free, minus the sugar-coating and without HDN using these recruiting geeks over there for mouthpieces? No way!!

8- Arkansas vs. Tennessee. I'll be there November 11th. Any chance in hell we can have a new head coach by then?

tophawg19

i guess if you wait till the bcs schools offer a kid then they can be pretty sure he is good . this plan saves money because you don't actually have to go see the kid just hire someone to follow the teams who recruit well and offer anyone they do . besides green and pinalto don't have the skills needed to play at a top major program like arkansas . ;) only the best truly deserve to play under nutt who will soon be recognized as the next great coaching legend .

a legend in his own mind.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

MrSpook1352

Quote from: Porkahontas on May 16, 2006, 04:03:11 pm
What I've learned so far (a summary of the summary SonofMud gave and then some):

1) Nutt is still an idiot. He appears to be a bigger idiot each day I hear something new about him. "Hey, I know, let's wait until AFTER a top notch kid from Arkansas commits to a national power before we offer! Hey! I love that helmet! They should too!"

2) Bigred and spook are WAY WAY in over their heads on this argument. Give up, wave the white flag, take your licks and pick your battles better. You're not winning this one.

3) Nutt screwed the pooch on Zack. We can only hope Nutt is Shiite-canned before signing day so Butch (or whoever steps in) can undo the 9th straight year of screwing up during recruiting season.

4) Excoach seems to know what the hell he's talking about. One of the few newer posters who seems to have a clue.

5) While reddogfan seems to know a thing or two about recruiting, I'm doubting he is Otis Kirk. I can read the sentences, they make sense, and there's an element of truth to what RDF is saying over and over. Plus, Otis isn't going to post somewhere where he doesn't have his trusty 'delete' and 'ban' keys handy for when someone disagrees with him.  :-X

6) Someone made this point earlier. We don't have any SEC caliber TE's on campus right now. Zack is an SEC caliber TE. Does Houston Nutt frick up everything this badly to hold on to his infamous "we do more with less" slogan, or is he really this damn stupid?

7) Me thinks this "Recruiting Guy" person is gonna kick the Shiite out of some ass-kissers over on hawgs illustrated and the razors edge in the coming weeks. What?! FOR FREE?!! We get real information on recruits for free, minus the sugar-coating and without HDN using these recruiting geeks over there for mouthpieces? No way!!

8- Arkansas vs. Tennessee. I'll be there November 11th. Any chance in hell we can have a new head coach by then?

Your entire argument seems to be that you are right because you know you are right and the coach is an idiot.  I know it's a very technical argument with lots of carefully researched information, but that's the gist of it isn't it?

Porkahontas

Quote from: MrSpook1352 on May 16, 2006, 04:22:29 pm
Quote from: Porkahontas on May 16, 2006, 04:03:11 pm

3) Nutt screwed the pooch on Zack. We can only hope Nutt is Shiite-canned before signing day so Butch (or whoever steps in) can undo the 9th straight year of screwing up during recruiting season.

7) Me thinks this "Recruiting Guy" person is gonna kick the Shiite out of some ass-kissers over on hawgs illustrated and the razors edge in the coming weeks. What?! FOR FREE?!! We get real information on recruits for free, minus the sugar-coating and without HDN using these recruiting geeks over there for mouthpieces? No way!!

Your entire argument seems to be that you are right because you know you are right and the coach is an idiot.  I know it's a very technical argument with lots of carefully researched information, but that's the gist of it isn't it?

I KNOW I'm right on a lot of things because I've had conversations with people either directly in the middle of some situations involving this coaching staff or with people right next to these situations and everything that's being said in this thread so far is about as on the money as it gets.

1) I'm right. That's something several people who know what they're talking about will agree with and it's something some of the poor blind sheep out there will cringe about when they read. But OTIS isn't saying the same thing and OTIS is always right, right? right? RIGHT?!

2) HDN is an idiot. This has been proven infinite amount of times.

MrSpook1352

So that was your argument.  I thought so.

Porkahontas

Quote from: MrSpook1352 on May 16, 2006, 04:37:13 pm
So that was your argument.  I thought so.

I'll take what Mike Irwin and some of the guys who truly know what the hell they're talking about on here says over what Otis, Clay, and the DTS/Sports Wrap sheep say anyday of the week. Plus, there's posters on here that know what they're talking about. You just don't know it yet. Maybe I do.

Does that clear up my position for you?

SonOfMud

Quote from: ImHogginIt on May 16, 2006, 03:57:52 pm
Quote from: FtheDarksiders on May 16, 2006, 11:14:08 am
We have other needs on the team....we signed a great tight end last year in Ben.  It would be great to sign every hometown kid that comes along, but that will never happen.  So a kid doesn't get an offer and that makes Nutt a horrible recruiter?  Maybe its just that we need other players in other positions for the better of the entire team....you don't need a huge stockpile of TE's in the SEC.

Ben Cleveland is a better DE than TE in my opinion. Should have offered the Pinalto kid. After we win 8 games and some school like Kentucky does us a favor and hires Nutt then maybe the new coach can switch Pinalto to become a Hog

Remember, this past year, Ben Cleveland played on the defense most of the time.
"They were like brothers to me, and when I say 'brother', I don't mean like a literal brother.  I mean it the way black people use it, which is more meaningful, I think."

Hawgon

Quote from: slumpbuster on May 16, 2006, 04:56:58 pm
Quote from: tophawg19 on May 16, 2006, 04:13:08 pm
i guess if you wait till the bcs schools offer a kid then they can be pretty sure he is good . this plan saves money because you don't actually have to go see the kid just hire someone to follow the teams who recruit well and offer anyone they do .

What's scary is that I wouldn't be shocked if this is exactly the recruiting strategy Nutt has developed.

Well, that is obviously what happened with Pinalto. 

MrSpook1352