Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2015 PF Ted Kapita

Started by -Blu, October 22, 2014, 03:08:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

-Blu

FWIW, 2 guys just picked Arkansas in Ted Kapita's 247 crystal ball today, including Jerry Meyer.

http://247sports.com/Player/Ted-Kapita-29968

Corkscrew Johnson

Don Kapenis would be a huge pickup

jjdlc

Quote from: -Blu on October 24, 2014, 12:21:36 pm
FWIW, 2 guys just picked Arkansas in Ted Kapita's 247 crystal ball today, including Jerry Meyer.

http://247sports.com/Player/Ted-Kapita-29968

Otis added his vote, making it 3.  Interesting, has his visit even started yet?

The_Iceman

Quote from: jjdlc on October 24, 2014, 03:41:53 pm

I don't put much stock in the Otis vote, but Jerry Meyer is really intriguing.

-Blu

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 24, 2014, 03:52:40 pm
I don't put much stock in the Otis vote, but Jerry Meyer is really intriguing.

TBH, I don't put too much stock into any of them anymore, because more times than not they are either following someone else vote hoping they heard something, or they heard a little something themselves, which is liable to change.  Only time I really just pay attention to the crystal ball, is if a kid says they are announcing that day and then people start making their picks, because usually by then info is leaking out.

But your right, Jerry Meyer is usually the guy leading the votes rather than following, so that's a good sign.

-Blu

Quote from: jjdlc on October 24, 2014, 03:41:53 pm

Not sure if he's here yet or not.  I haven't heard anything from any of the Arkansas recruiting guys yet.  But, with our staff no news is good news.  Arkansas recruiting guys didn't even know Whitt was on campus before his commit.

mhuff

Quote from: -Blu on October 24, 2014, 05:19:09 pm
TBH, I don't put too much stock into any of them anymore, because more times than not they are either following someone else vote hoping they heard something, or they heard a little something themselves, which is liable to change.  Only time I really just pay attention to the crystal ball, is if a kid says they are announcing that day and then people start making their picks, because usually by then info is leaking out.

But your right, Jerry Meyer is usually the guy leading the votes rather than following, so that's a good sign.

This got my attention

jjdlc

Quote from: -Blu on October 24, 2014, 05:19:09 pm

Yeah, Meyer was why I said it was interesting.  I agree about the crystal ball as well, about the only time it means anything is if it starts trending right before an announcement.  I haven't seen any indication that kapita has plans to announce soon though. 

Hawg Red

I stopped paying attention completely when Jerry Meyer had KeVaughn Allen to Arkansas all the way until he announced his commitment to UF. KeVaughn was never close to picking Arkansas. At any point. So, even if Meyer has good info on others, he showed he didn't on that one so I don't even care about those picks at all now.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 24, 2014, 08:27:06 pm
I stopped paying attention completely when Jerry Meyer had KeVaughn Allen to Arkansas all the way until he announced his commitment to UF. KeVaughn was never close to picking Arkansas. At any point. So, even if Meyer has good info on others, he showed he didn't on that one so I don't even care about those picks at all now.

His picks average is around 70% which isn't bad. Hopefully Kapita can make his average go up

Hawg Red

All he has to do is change his pick one minute before a kid announces and he gets credit for a correct pick. 70% doesn't look so hot when you consider that.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 24, 2014, 09:55:52 pm
All he has to do is change his pick one minute before a kid announces and he gets credit for a correct pick. 70% doesn't look so hot when you consider that.

Most guys on 247 are around 50%. So it looks better when you consider that.

I'm not trying to overstate what it is. It's some dude making a prediction about a teenager.

If some guy had insider info on Ky Madden they would have picked Ole Miss. I'm glad that didn't happen.

I'm not saying anything is going down

-Blu

I agree, who really knows 70% of the time where a recruit is going?  I'm sure most recruits themselves don't even know well ahead of time where they are going otherwise they would just commit then.  All those recruiting guys do is go by hearsay and try to put pieces together on where a kid is leaning.  Sometimes they will get some inside information that a kid really likes a school, but with 16 and 17 year old kids that can change in a heartbeat.

Today it's Arkansas because we came out of nowhere.  Monday Kapita could announce his visit to Mizzou then everyone changes their picks to Mizzou.  I share your sentiment that the Crystal Ball doesn't mean much.  I just posted it, because it's really the only news right now we have about Kapita.  Jerry Meyer usually only makes picks if he hears something, it could have been something as simple as "Arkansas staff feels good about Kapita", which is something I heard.  And he just went with that.

sickboy

70% is high and you just made that "crystal ball" rigging up. C'mon.

-Blu

Also, some more information FWIW.  All of this is just hearsay from me reading other boards. One guy said 2 days ago (Before news came out Kapita visiting Arkansas) that he was hearing it was between Memphis, Arkansas, and Florida.

Florida - has 2 big men signed for 2015 class and 2 scholarships over what they already have.  I doubt they take another commitment.

Memphis- has 2 of the Lawsons, one who is a PF, and they feel really confident about Skal Labissiere, who is a PF. I was reading and most of them think they are full at the PF spot and there's no room for Kapita.

Mizzou - I didn't read anything about him on their site, they are the school I would be most worried about getting him though, Assistant coach co-founder of his prep school.  I know they are trying to get him and the other PF/C at the school, who's name I forgot.

Tim

Would like an update on his visit if possible.  Thanks. 

RazorAg

Quote from: -Blu on October 24, 2014, 11:01:54 pm
Also, some more information FWIW.  All of this is just hearsay from me reading other boards. One guy said 2 days ago (Before news came out Kapita visiting Arkansas) that he was hearing it was between Memphis, Arkansas, and Florida.

Florida - has 2 big men signed for 2015 class and 2 scholarships over what they already have.  I doubt they take another commitment.

Memphis- has 2 of the Lawsons, one who is a PF, and they feel really confident about Skal Labissiere, who is a PF. I was reading and most of them think they are full at the PF spot and there's no room for Kapita.

Mizzou - I didn't read anything about him on their site, they are the school I would be most worried about getting him though, Assistant coach co-founder of his prep school.  I know they are trying to get him and the other PF/C at the school, who's name I forgot.

Thomas Bryant.  Agree that Mizzou is a major contender.

The_Iceman

Quote from: RazorAg on October 25, 2014, 07:02:45 am
Thomas Bryant.  Agree that Mizzou is a major contender.

May between us and them. They have the assistant coach, and we have Moses. Hopefully the new practice facility will help lure him.

z1on

Nice post, sound's like we have a great shot with him and like others said, it's likely between us and Mizzou.

-Blu

I just heard some VERY encouraging news about Kapita.  His visit is going very well and he really likes Arkansas.  We may be able to lock him up this weekend.

Again, that's just hearsay, but just thought I'd share.

Hawg Red

Quote from: sickboy on October 24, 2014, 11:01:21 pm
70% is high and you just made that "crystal ball" rigging up. C'mon.

I didn't make anything up. Before Meyer had Kapita going to Arkansas, he had him going to Oregon. They can change their picks. As long as they have the correct pick posted prior to the commitment, they get credit. That's a fact. They can change their pick as much as they want. The final pick is the one that gets credit. It's all out in the open, man. I'm not making anything up.

mhuff

Quote from: -Blu on October 25, 2014, 11:08:33 am
I just heard some VERY encouraging news about Kapita.  His visit is going very well and he really likes Arkansas.  We may be able to lock him up this weekend.

Man, I hope this is true. With the players possibly coming in the next three years...... We could be back sooner than later.

jry04

Quote from: -Blu on October 25, 2014, 11:08:33 am

I hope so. I have zero inside information regarding this, and obviously it is hard to judge it from afar, but it did not appear like he was enjoying his visit today. He was sitting with his hand on his chin for most of the game, and then when the players went over to talk with Tusk's owner, and feed Tusk, he refused to feed him, and seemed to have removed himself from Babb, Watkins, and Portis for most of the time. It appeared like he was bored.

Obviously that is a small portion of his visit, though.

Swinesong1

Quote from: jry04 on October 25, 2014, 06:51:02 pm
I hope so. I have zero inside information regarding this, and obviously it is hard to judge it from afar, but it did not appear like he was enjoying his visit today. He was sitting with his hand on his chin for most of the game, and then when the players went over to talk with Tusk's owner, and feed Tusk, he refused to feed him, and seemed to have removed himself from Babb, Watkins, and Portis for most of the time. It appeared like he was bored.

Obviously that is a small portion of his visit, though.
To be fair, neither of those activities (Hog football game and feeding a pig) are at the top of my bucket list either.

jry04

Quote from: Swinesong1 on October 25, 2014, 06:56:39 pm
To be fair, neither of those activities (Hog football game and feeding a pig) are at the top of my bucket list either.
You missed my point. If you saw what I saw, then you would think the same. He was off standing by himself most of the time they were over by Tusk. Whether he fed Tusk or not was not the point of the story. Him being out of the group, and looking anti-social made me think he did not want to be there. Babb, Portis, and Watkins would be talking in the stands in front of me, and Kapita was leaned forwards in between them messing with his phone, or with his hand on his chin staring ahead as if he was disinterested.

Like I said, probably does not mean anything, and that is just a small part of the visit. Not predicting we are or not getting him. Just saying it looked discouraging from my POV. It doesn't help it was 85 degrees, and a blowout. Had he been here for the Bama crowd it probably would have been a different story.

ricepig

Quote from: jry04 on October 25, 2014, 07:04:36 pm
You missed my point. If you saw what I saw, then you would think the same. He was off standing by himself most of the time they were over by Tusk. Whether he fed Tusk or not was not the point of the story. Him being out of the group, and looking anti-social made me think he did not want to be there. Babb, Portis, and Watkins would be talking in the stands in front of me, and Kapita was leaned forwards in between them messing with his phone, or with his hand on his chin staring ahead as if he was disinterested.

Like I said, probably does not mean anything, and that is just a small part of the visit. Not predicting we are or not getting him. Just saying it looked discouraging from my POV. It doesn't help it was 85 degrees, and a blowout. Had he been here for the Bama crowd it probably would have been a different story.

Wet?

Swinesong1

Oh I get what you're saying.  Just pointing out that those type activities my be boring to him and others.  Heck, he may be an introvert and shy for that matter.

jry04

Quote from: ricepig on October 25, 2014, 07:10:30 pm
Wet?
75k were there, and screaming on just about every play. The entire basketball team was there together, too, rather than just 3 of them.

yraciv

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 25, 2014, 07:32:25 am
May between us and them. They have the assistant coach, and we have Moses. Hopefully the new practice facility will help lure him.

Was he even in school there when Moses went there? I don't believe so.

Swinesong1

Quote from: yraciv on October 25, 2014, 07:32:11 pm
I think he was talking about having a connection being from that school and African.

ricepig

Quote from: jry04 on October 25, 2014, 07:14:33 pm
75k were there, and screaming on just about every play. The entire basketball team was there together, too, rather than just 3 of them.

72,000 and I doubt he will base his decisions on a football game.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: yraciv on October 25, 2014, 07:32:11 pm

They have been communicating before He set foot in Fayetteville...never underestimate the value of a familier face residing 25 miles outside of the University of Arkansas
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

-Blu

That's an interesting story, and I'm not being sarcastic when I say that, always good to hear reports on how visits are going with the recruits.  Glad you shared.

With that said, I gotta agree with Swingsong on this one, I wouldn't read to much into him not wanting to feed tusks and seeming disinterested at the game.  I think if Kapita was known as being a really outgoing kid, and we see him on twitter all the time and always around people, this would mean something.  But, all 3 Arkansas recruiting guys (Kirk, Dawson, Davenport) have all said that Kapita doesn't want to be in a big city (basically saying he wants to be in small rural area, doesn't like big cities).  He's not active on twitter, has been in prep schools his entire time being in America, and he's new to the recruiting process just now starting to take visits.  That report you gave backs up the "not wanting to be in big city".  Just seems to me like he's just shy or not use to being around a lot of people.

jry04

Quote from: ricepig on October 25, 2014, 07:43:47 pm
72,000 and I doubt he will base his decisions on a football game.
I never said he would. I was just making a comment. Not sure how stupid somebody has to be to not understand that a great crowd at a football game can influence the opinion of a recruit regarding a school's fan base. I am not saying he thinks our fans suck, just pointing out the Bama game was probably a big recruiting play for recruits of all sports due to how great the crowd was. Sorry for reporting what we saw. I am sure we are a lock to get him, and it was the best visit he ever had!!!

FWIW, I lived with 2 football players in college, and worked for the U of A athletic department in the past. I am fully aware of what a Razorback football or basketball game can do to help boost the recruiting for each other. Don't kid yourself if you think it cannot have an impact on recruiting. I am not talking about Kapita, but recruiting in general.

jry04

Quote from: -Blu on October 25, 2014, 07:52:32 pm
That's an interesting story, and I'm not being sarcastic when I say that, always good to hear reports on how visits are going with the recruits.  Glad you shared.

With that said, I gotta agree with Swingsong on this one, I wouldn't read to much into him not wanting to feed tusks and seeming disinterested at the game.  I think if Kapita was known as being a really outgoing kid, and we see him on twitter all the time and always around people, this would mean something.  But, all 3 Arkansas recruiting guys (Kirk, Dawson, Davenport) have all said that Kapita doesn't want to be in a big city (basically saying he wants to be in small rural area, doesn't like big cities).  He's not active on twitter, has been in prep schools his entire time being in America, and he's new to the recruiting process just now starting to take visits.  That report you gave backs up the "not wanting to be in big city".  Just seems to me like he's just shy or not use to being around a lot of people.
I honestly did not know anything about him until this weekend, so that is good news. It makes more sense as to why he was acting the way he did.

-Blu

Quote from: jry04 on October 25, 2014, 07:53:48 pm
I never said he would. I was just making a comment. Not sure how stupid somebody has to be to not understand that a great crowd at a football game can influence the opinion of a recruit regarding a school's fan base. I am not saying he thinks our fans suck, just pointing out the Bama game was probably a big recruiting play for recruits of all sports due to how great the crowd was. Sorry for reporting what we saw. I am sure we are a lock to get him, and it was the best visit he ever had!!!

lol, I'm glad you shared man :).  Best report we've had, at least we know this isn't hearsay.

jry04

Quote from: -Blu on October 25, 2014, 07:55:36 pm
lol, I'm glad you shared man :).  Best report we've had, at least we know this isn't hearsay.
No problem. I am sure he had a great time last night, and will tonight, too. They were all with Coach Zimmer, and left at halftime. He definitely looked the part, though. Huge kid.

My season tickets are close to where the basketball players always sit, so I get to see them interact on the sideline prior to games, and then come sit in the stands. On the flip side, Monk seems to be one of the guys, and was always with them joking around at the previous games. KJ hung out with them instead of the football recruits during the NIU game, too.

ricepig

Quote from: jry04 on October 25, 2014, 07:53:48 pm

FWIW, I lived with 2 football players in college, and worked for the U of A athletic department in the past. I am fully aware of what a Razorback football or basketball game can do to help boost the recruiting for each other. Don't kid yourself if you think it cannot have an impact on recruiting. I am not talking about Kapita, but recruiting in general.

Didn't say it didn't help, just said he wouldn't base his decision off of the game, and I don't know how stupid somebody has to be to understand that, even if they were a jock sniffer.

-Blu

Quote from: jry04 on October 25, 2014, 07:58:39 pm
No problem. I am sure he had a great time last night, and will tonight, too. They were all with Coach Zimmer, and left at halftime. He definitely looked the part, though. Huge kid.

My season tickets are close to where the basketball players always sit, so I get to see them interact on the sideline prior to games, and then come sit in the stands. On the flip side, Monk seems to be one of the guys, and was always with them joking around at the previous games. KJ hung out with them instead of the football recruits during the NIU game, too.

Yea, I've seen Monk hanging out with the basketball team on a few occasions as well, seems to always be having a good time when he's with them.  That's why I'd be surprised if he's not a hog.  He seems to genuinely like the players and like being around the team.  After doing that for so long you would start to feel like your apart of that.

TarHeelsFan45

I'm guessing that he didn't commit today? Haven't heard much about it..

-Blu

Quote from: TarHeelsFan45 on October 26, 2014, 04:29:48 pm
I'm guessing that he didn't commit today? Haven't heard much about it..

No commit today, wants to talk it over with his host family and decide if he will commit or take his other visits.  No time table set.

Scott7703

Man I was hoping he would be on board before he left.

mizzouman

Kapita was to visit Mizzou a few weeks ago with another current HP player but could not make it due to some scheduling issues. 

mizzouman

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 25, 2014, 07:32:25 am
I don't think Kapita played at HP last year.  This may be his first year but I could be wrong.  So Mizzou having their coach and Moses playing at Arkansas may not be be factor.  If so, keep in mind Mizzou has Teki who played at HP last year.

mizzouman

Kapita is very raw but with enough talent where he can be a force with a couple of years of college under his belt, but it will all depend on how he develops his senior year in HS. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: mizzouman on October 27, 2014, 12:31:38 pm
Kapita is very raw but with enough talent where he can be a force with a couple of years of college under his belt, but it will all depend on how he develops his senior year in HS.

I was thinking that he seems like a guy that would need some development before he really made an impact at the college level. Could be a guy that's really a force his junior and senior seasons compared to freshman and sophomore seasons.

mizzouman

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 27, 2014, 12:43:40 pm
I was thinking that he seems like a guy that would need some development before he really made an impact at the college level. Could be a guy that's really a force his junior and senior seasons compared to freshman and sophomore seasons.
Yes...

But, he could develop nicely this coming year.

One man's thoughts on his recruiting prior to his visit to Arkansas.

Kapita didn't make the trip as originally expected. That's not a necessarily a bad thing for Missouri. They're still in good shape with him and that's welcome considering the Bryant news. It looks like Kapita will be out soon on an official visit, but this weekend he's heading to Memphis who is a new player for his services. Florida has been rumored to be one of the leaders, along with Kansas. West Virginia is said to be in the hunt along with Texas, but neither seem to have Kapita's attention. Missouri and Florida appear to be the leaders at this stage. Kapita is a prospect whose ranking has rocketed up a bit over the summer, and a lot of the big guys haven't come knocking just yet, but that could still happen as more chips fall, but it's still easy to like Mizzou's chances.

Before: 40%
Now: 40% (Florida 30%, Kansas 20%, Memphis 10%)

RazorAg

Quote from: mizzouman on October 27, 2014, 12:28:54 pm
I don't think Kapita played at HP last year.  This may be his first year but I could be wrong.  So Mizzou having their coach and Moses playing at Arkansas may not be be factor.  If so, keep in mind Mizzou has Teki who played at HP last year.

Right, he didn't play there last year; he was at Florida Air Academy.  I think the point is that Artrell and Rob are friends, and Artrell has influence over Ted right now.  Kapita has known Moses for some time.

The other thing we could have going for us is that Kapita is very close with his host family, and the host's daughter is right outside of Fayetteville.

RazorAg

Quote from: mizzouman on October 27, 2014, 12:31:38 pm

I would not characterize him as "very raw".  I know that's a subjective phrase, but I've seen and read enough to feel comfortable that he's ahead of Moses Kingsley as a recruit.  We're not far off in our assessment of his game, I bet, but just take exception to the labeling him as "very raw".  Very raw players aren't ranked in the top 35.

Oklahawg

I am guessing the numbers Mizzouman provides would change given UA getting an actual visit right before early signing day.

I think that is a huge thing - there is but one weekend left before early signing day? Maybe??

Regardless, some schools will have their slots fill and that will help nudge Kapita somewhere. How long can a Missouri or Arkansas play poker hoping to land Kapita vs backing down to a lesser prospect who will gobble up a commitable offer. Or, will the school losing out opt to keep a slot for a late signee or transfer? UA has had good luck landing serviceable transfers.

What makes Kapita so enticing to someone like Arkansas and less so to a Florida is the "long-term project" label. Who knows how much he progresses this year. Could be a steal for someone, could be a long-shot signee. The upside is clear and obvious.

Should be an interesting final couple of weeks leading up to early signing day.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra