Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

B.J. Young (Article)

Started by SWD26, May 13, 2013, 05:43:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SWD26

From the St. Louis Post-Dispatch....

B.J. Young feels he should be an early pick in the June 27 NBA Draft, but most analysts are projecting the former McCluer North star to go in the latter half of the second round.

The 6-foot-3 Young, who announced two months ago he would forgo his final two years at Arkansas to turn pro, is projected to go to the Atlanta Hawks at No. 50 in the latest mock draft on NBADraft.net Other NBA-related sites have Young being taken at a similar spot int he second round.

"Personally, I feel like I'm an early first-rounder and I don't think any team would regret selecting me early," Young said recently. "I'm a combo, I can play (point guard or shooting guard). I can score in heavy boatloads and can carry a team if needed. I can also play the role of sub off the bench and provide (an offensive) boost."

Young views himself as a Russell Westbrook type of player.

"I can put the ball in the hole a plethora of ways," he said.

Veteran NBA analyst Jorrye Nixon has categorized Young, who averaged 15 points a game at Arkansas, as a "tweener lacking true point guard skills" or ideal size to be a shooting guard. Young's shooting, especially from behind the three-point stripe, fell off considerably as a sophomore at Arkansas. Analysts feel he also needs to get stronger.

But Nixon says there are also plenty of pluses on Young's side. He has "freakish" speed, a quick jumper and "an excellent first step."

"Young is an intriguing offensive talent," Nixon. "He still has untapped potential."

dhornjr1

jcworm

I would have never thought anyone in a scouting report would say he has a quick jumper.
Not bashing the kid but that is far from the truth he has more of a set shot.

Dr. Starcs

Can put the ball in the whole in a plethora of ways? 

"plethora" must not include a jump shot

JerryHog3

Quote from: jcworm on May 13, 2013, 07:09:34 pm
I would have never thought anyone in a scouting report would say he has a quick jumper.
Not bashing the kid but that is far from the truth he has more of a set shot

He dont have much a jump shot or set shot really

Breems

Quote from: jcworm on May 13, 2013, 07:09:34 pm
Not bashing the kid but that is far from the truth he has more of a set shot.

His pull-up jumper is actually very quick. His set shot is quite the opposite.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

HogInThaGrove

His shot is terrible.  Pull-up or set.  Doesn't matter.  Someone got a hold of him before this last season and completely screwed up his shot.  It was beyond pathetic.

He thinks 6'3" is combo size?  Steve Nash is about 6'3".  And he is TINY out there with those giants.  I love BJ, but he needed to stay and shoot, shoot, shoot and dribble dribble dribble ALLLLLL Summer.  He is a PG at the next level, that's the only place he will not be playing out of position, height, and strength.

b-ash

I read it as "he is a quick jumper".  Gets off the floor quickly.  Either way, he is d-league or worse until he learns to shoot, defend, and handle the ball better.

Hog-Corleone

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on May 13, 2013, 09:12:50 pm

I would not like to think that a person would tell someone he has a plethora, and then find out that that person has *no idea* what it means to have a plethora.

This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

phadedhawg

I hope for his sake he is right.  Honestly I never thought Beverly would amount to much in the NBA and we saw how that turned out.  He's the most hated man in OKC and for that fake alone he has my respect.

HogSophist

Quote from: HogInThaGrove on May 14, 2013, 09:13:06 am
His shot is terrible.  Pull-up or set.  Doesn't matter.  Someone got a hold of him before this last season and completely screwed up his shot.  It was beyond pathetic.

He thinks 6'3" is combo size?  Steve Nash is about 6'3".  And he is TINY out there with those giants.  I love BJ, but he needed to stay and shoot, shoot, shoot and dribble dribble dribble ALLLLLL Summer.  He is a PG at the next level, that's the only place he will not be playing out of position, height, and strength.

It always amazes me how damn small 6'3" looks in an nba game. if one was just guess you would say nash was 6' in canadian heels at best.
signature removed by Hogville staff. (but Erie's quote revived because I missed it)

In an era where there are over $70 trillion in future obligations, beyond the debt,   taking up practices in budgeting that are tantamount to saying 'And then in 2040, a magic dragon will sh*tpoopy $100 trillion and fix our problems'  simply isn't wise. --ErieHog

RedyorNot

Would have been nice if "I can carry a team if I need to" forgot to add "I can also blow a game pretty quick"

cmpledger

Quote from: HogInThaGrove on May 14, 2013, 09:13:06 am

Westbrook is 6'3 and so is Derick Rose

cmpledger

Don't be surprised when both Powell and Young go undrafted.

latrops

Quote from: SWD26 on May 13, 2013, 05:43:29 pm

"Young is an intriguing offensive talent," Nixon. "He still has untapped potential."[/i]

That potential is what probably gets him drafted higher than he should be based on what he is as a player today.  Right now his shot needs work a lot of work and he needs to to significantly improve his ball handling, decision making, and defense.  However, he is fast, he jumps well, he can create his own (often bad) shot, and he can finish.  He won't be drafted based on what he was at Arkansas...he will be drafted (IMO in the second half of the first round) based on what he potentially could become with NBA coaching and development.  The toolbox is full, he just has to learn to use them.

-Blu

Quote from: latrops on May 20, 2013, 09:16:49 am
That potential is what probably gets him drafted higher than he should be based on what he is as a player today.  Right now his shot needs work a lot of work and he needs to to significantly improve his ball handling, decision making, and defense.  However, he is fast, he jumps well, he can create his own (often bad) shot, and he can finish.  He won't be drafted based on what he was at Arkansas...he will be drafted (IMO in the second half of the first round) based on what he potentially could become with NBA coaching and development.  The toolbox is full, he just has to learn to use them.

+1

I don't think a lot of people realize this.  Mike Conley Jr. was a really bad shooter and out of control a lot coming out of college is now a top PG in the league, he was drafted purely off of his quickness and ability to get to the basket, now he has a decent outside shot and his decision making is really good.  Rajon Rondo and Russell Westbrook are also guys that struggled shooting before they came into the league.  BJ will get drafted off of his potential, the kid is a super athlete for 6'2 - 6'3.  They will get a shooting coach and it may take a little while, but they'll turn his shot into something decent.

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: latrops on May 20, 2013, 09:16:49 am

I agree with everything you said except for him going in the 1st round. I think he's pretty well dropped himself out of the 1st round. I'd be surprised if he weren't drafted (although it does appear to be a possibility right now), but I'd be even more surprised if he went in the 1st round.

It's going to have to be a team that can afford to develop him in the D-League for at least a full season. Cleveland has two early 2nd rounders. I could see them burning one of those picks on a guy like B.J. if they don't move one or both picks. Portland has 3 2nd rounders before the 46th pick. Philly has two 2nd rounders in the first 12 picks. Memphis also had 3 2nd round picks. These are all teams with multiple 2nd round picks that don't need immediate guard help.

azhog10

Quote from: daSnake014 on May 20, 2013, 09:30:42 am
+1

I don't think a lot of people realize this.  Mike Conley Jr. was a really bad shooter and out of control a lot coming out of college is now a top PG in the league, he was drafted purely off of his quickness and ability to get to the basket, now he has a decent outside shot and his decision making is really good.  Rajon Rondo and Russell Westbrook are also guys that struggled shooting before they came into the league.  BJ will get drafted off of his potential, the kid is a super athlete for 6'2 - 6'3.  They will get a shooting coach and it may take a little while, but they'll turn his shot into something decent.
The difference between Conley who shot 30% and BJ who shot 23% was that Conley acknowledged he wasn't a strong three point shooter so he shot almost 40 less missed three's than BJ and shot about 7% points higher from the floor than BJ. Conley was a much more efficient shooter because he did what he could do well. Something BJ didn't.

Razorpigg

Quote from: azhog10 on May 21, 2013, 03:52:50 pm
The difference between Conley who shot 30% and BJ who shot 23% was that Conley acknowledged he wasn't a strong three point shooter so he shot almost 40 less missed three's than BJ and shot about 7% points higher from the floor than BJ. Conley was a much more efficient shooter because he did what he could do well. Something BJ didn't.

Conley also had Greg Oden on his team, and  Daequan Cook.  Helps a little...

mhuff

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on May 13, 2013, 09:12:50 pm

Doc, he may be able to put it in the whole in a plethora of ways, but I have not seen him put it in the hole in a plethora of ways.

rude1

Quote from: daSnake014 on May 20, 2013, 09:30:42 am
+1

Big mistake here. What does all those players have in common other than the initial inability to shot the basketball? They are all also very good point guards, something BJ is NOT nor will he ever be.

twistitup

He will improve with time and coaching in the NBA, but carry a team? No.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Dogtown Donkey

Man, it's really looking like he might go undrafted.

I still think he will be drafted, but the scouts and GMs are not digging him right now. I still think he's an NBA prospect that just needs some seasoning, but maybe that's just the Hog fan in me.

Buff

Sounds like B.J. Young is the greatest player B.J. Young has ever seen.

UNCLE BACK

B.J will be a late 2nd rounder in my opinion and then, I expect him to be a guy who gets a 2 week contract a few times in his career. He will likely never be able to get over the fact that he is not as great as he thinks he is. If he could shoot the basketball well, I think he would be a guy who could play in the League 10 years. No defense and terrible shooting is not a good combination for the NBA.

hog golf

Quote from: cmpledger on May 20, 2013, 08:32:36 am
Don't be surprised when both Powell and Young go undrafted.
I, for one, won't be.
I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize

McKdaddy

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on June 17, 2013, 11:15:11 am
Man, it's really looking like he might go undrafted.

I still think he will be drafted, but the scouts and GMs are not digging him right now. I still think he's an NBA prospect that just needs some seasoning, but maybe that's just the Hog fan in me.

I don't think he'll get drafted but many on here have told me wrong. I didn't argue w/ them, and frankly hope I'm wrong. But for posterity sake I'll stand by what I hope is an inaccurate prediction.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: McKdaddy on June 18, 2013, 07:53:35 pm
I don't think he'll get drafted but many on here have told me wrong. I didn't argue w/ them, and frankly hope I'm wrong. But for posterity sake I'll stand by what I hope is an inaccurate prediction.

Good call.

He's a late 2nd rounder at best at this point.