Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

McCurdy got 14 minutes

Started by iCalledThatHogBrotha!, February 11, 2006, 10:45:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

SM: 14mins  4pts 1reb 1assist 2TO 2fouls

Not super numbers but I was glad to see the kid get some time.  He did a much better job than the numbers suggest IMO.  Before you say, well it was against a crappy team, Jefferson looked lost against the same team: 22mins 1assist 1steal FIVE turnovers, although he did actually take a couple shots and racked up 5 points.  I hope Heath takes note and gives him some more minutes down the road... what do yall think?

RazrBakr

If it comes to this:  The very minute it becomes apparent the Hogs are out of contention for NCAA tournament, from that point on McCurdy plays, Dontell rides pine.  Sean is the future, Dontell never was...
Just can't help smiling these days!!!

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

Quote from: RazrBakr on February 11, 2006, 10:47:50 pm
If it comes to this:  The very minute it becomes apparent the Hogs are out of contention for NCAA tournament, from that point on McCurdy plays, Dontell rides pine.  Sean is the future, Dontell never was...
hope they realize that before it gets to that point?

YepItsMe

McCurdy played well he has the speed but he needs to get comfortable to take a shot he would drive to the lane and go up to shot and many times had a open shot.  But he passed it out to someone to give them the three but usually someone would get to that person before they could shoot.  He is really talented but needs to get comfortbale with his shot and would be a great player

mountainhog

Quote from: abostian on February 11, 2006, 10:45:02 pm
SM: 14mins  4pts 1reb 1assist 2TO 2fouls

Not super numbers but I was glad to see the kid get some time.  He did a much better job than the numbers suggest IMO.  Before you say, well it was against a crappy team, Jefferson looked lost against the same team: 22mins 1assist 1steal FIVE turnovers, although he did actually take a couple shots and racked up 5 points.  I hope Heath takes note and gives him some more minutes down the road... what do yall think?
PLAY MCCURDY! 

Richard_white

Yeah Dontell played his best of his career..lol

WPS

lunchbox72703

I noticed McCurdy bounce passes to everyone.  Is that a height issue?  Speaking of passes though, did someone light a fire under brewer's behind tonight?  Some of his passes were thrown like bullets coming out of a gun!

An old hog fanatic

McCurdy lost his man when playing defense a number of times.  I hope that is due to inexperience.  The bounce passes have to stop.  Won't work against a good SEC team.  But, he hustled and the pt was nothing but good for him.
I was very impressed with the way Brewer seemed to put the team on his back and push the level of play up.  A couple of his passes were fantastic.  Too bad the other guys couldn't seem to finish the play off when he did that.

Let's face it.  Last night we were playing the "Sister's of the Poor" in the SEC. 
Winners never quit and bitchers do - Lanny

cmakrzrbak

Quote from: RazrBakr on February 11, 2006, 10:47:50 pm
Nope. Gary Ervin is the future for the next two seasons.
"You've got to give a little love to those who love to live"

Philip Lynott

Ark Blitz

Ervin is the future at PG not McCurdy.  He got 14 min and only had 4 points and 2 turnovers against a Auburn team that sucks. 

Atleast in this game he was able to make 2 free throws. 

TDHog

I disagree on the
Quote from: mid-georgia-hogfan on February 12, 2006, 07:56:41 am
McCurdy lost his man when playing defense a number of times.  I hope that is due to inexperience.  The bounce passes have to stop.  Won't work against a good SEC team.  But, he hustled and the pt was nothing but good for him.
I was very impressed with the way Brewer seemed to put the team on his back and push the level of play up.  A couple of his passes were fantastic.  Too bad the other guys couldn't seem to finish the play off when he did that.

Let's face it.  Last night we were playing the "Sister's of the Poor" in the SEC. 

I disagree on the McCurdy D comment, TIVO the games, and actuall go back and watch what happens, McCurdy fought well through screens all night was generally in good position, and played average D.  The one time I thought he really broke down was actuall Townes fault (Townes man sets a screen that catches McCurdy off guard, McCurdy switches, Townes is slow to get out and cover the shooter).  The bounce pass is a very effective entry pass especiall against atheletic teams with long arms.  I know we as razorback fans haven't seen a lot of entry passes this year. 
What we need from McCurdy or any point is not 12 ppg, 5 steals, etc, we have Brewer and Modica, the reason I like McCurdy is because the flow of our offense is 100% better because he acts as a floor general and directs people into position and then gets the ball to our scorers.  Even if he doesn't get the assist.  The perfect example is last night he drove hard to the right and made a very good entry pass around a defender to Modica on the low block, the defense then collapsed on Modica from the top of the key, leaving Thomas an open path down the middle of the lane, Modica sees him and hits him for the monster dunk.  Did McCurdy get the assisst, no, was he instrumental in how that played developed, you bet.  Basket ball offense is not set up by the pass that leads to the basket, it is setup by the previous passes and dribble penetration.  McCurdy understands this, that is why I like him.  Is he young yes, and mistakes will come, but overall I think the more experience he gets the better the Razorbacks will become, I agree he is still a little tenative on his shots, but I think PT will cure that.  I for one am not ready to hand the starting PG over to an average PG who was turnover prone at MSU, I hope Ervin has improved but those of you who think he is the next Corey Beck for us are not being realistic, if he was that good, MSU would not have let him get away.

HognotinMemphis

I see that McCurdy went 2 of 2 from the line. At least he can do it when it doesn't matter. Too bad he can't do it when it does matter.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

TDHog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 12, 2006, 10:22:56 am
I see that McCurdy went 2 of 2 from the line. At least he can do it when it doesn't matter. Too bad he can't do it when it does matter.

First off take your negative smart ___ comments some where else, guess what Brewer missed two in a row last night, as did an Auburn player, it happens, every free throw matters, that is why they play an entire game, not just the  final 45 sec, anyone hits one of the free throws that they missed agains LSU and we probably win.  Couple more rebounds, we probably win, etc, etc, Brewer passes out of the double team we have a better chance a winning, Jefferson Doens't turn it over to start the ball game, or to end his part of the ball game (both for layups) we probably win, Ferguson stops jacking up 3-pointers after one pass three times in a wow and missing all three we probably win.  IT IS A TEAM GAME, THE RAZORBACKS LOST not MCCURDY, not JEFFERSON, not anyone but the Razorbacks.

GrizzledHogFan

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 12, 2006, 10:22:56 am

I'm not part of the Official McCurdy Fan Club, and I was actually pretty pissed at him after the LSU game, but cut the kid some frickin' slack.  He's now shot 10 FT's in his entire colligate career.  Yes, he arguably blew one game, but it's a little early to be making definitive statements about someone who's seen such limited playing time.
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

misscohogg

Hoginmemphis, Why don't you take tour meaningless crap and get the hell out of here. Everyones tired of your bull darn an your not welcome here. JUST LEAVE.

hog caller

glad he got some playing time. against a free food for a poor team. but he showed me that he can play point. he didn't get flustered when they traped him . he put the ball where it needed to be and you can't ask for more than that. if he gets PT he will only get better. oh! we won didn't we.

Hogs have been up and down all year    w    w      w
                                                         L       L      it's time to start rollllllllllllllling
it they plan to go any where.    WPS

hog caller

nice comment you Azz ole . we have recruits on baord this week end ,so keep  the negatives
up in your house not mine

HognotinMemphis

Big difference between 6-4 and 5-5 in SEC. If McCurdy makes those FT's, Hogs probably would go to NCAAT. As it is, with the loss to LSU, Hogs will probably miss the NCAAT. But at least McCurdy and the rest of the boys will get to shoot FT's in the NIT this year.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

TDHog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 12, 2006, 10:43:48 am
Big difference between 6-4 and 5-5 in SEC. If McCurdy makes those FT's, Hogs probably would go to NCAAT. As it is, with the loss to LSU, Hogs will probably miss the NCAAT. But at least McCurdy and the rest of the boys will get to shoot FT's in the NIT this year.

Since you can't seem to get it, the Hogs were 17-22 FT shooting against LSU, anyone of those 5 misses would have the same effect.  Team Game.  BTW they are not out of the Tourn picture yet.

misscohogg

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: TDHog on February 12, 2006, 10:52:48 am

Since you can't seem to get it, the Hogs were 17-22 FT shooting against LSU, anyone of those 5 misses would have the same effect.  Team Game.  BTW they are not out of the Tourn picture yet.

But only 2 of those 5 misses came with the game on the line and he missed not just one, but both of them. An SEC guard should not miss consecutive FT attempts with the game on the line...EVER. If he does, he should quit the game.

fineswine

I still don't see why everyone is so high on this young man.  He gets beat off the dribble almost every time down the floor, and does not look comfortable with a defender on him when he has the ball.  I think Jefferson may be the worst point guard in the league, but he keeps McCurdy on the bench.  Maybe Stan sees things in practice that everyone speculates to not be true.  Thank goodness Gary E. is available next year.

jrw11475

HOGINMEMPHO HAS ALL OF THAT SNOW MELTED YET?

tacomahog

Probably a bigger impact than the missed free throws was the ill advised timeout that was called to get mccurdy in the game.  LSU was in desperate need of a time out and we gave them what they needed to draw up the game winning play.

hogtheball

Quote from: Ark Blitz on February 12, 2006, 09:13:16 am
Ervin is the future at PG not McCurdy.  He got 14 min and only had 4 points and 2 turnovers against a Auburn team that sucks. 

Atleast in this game he was able to make 2 free throws. 

Do you even know who Ervin is?  Look at his stats from his freshman year.  Ervin played in 30 games for Mississippi STate, averaging almost 30 minutes per game.  In those 30 minutes, he averaged 5 points, 2 assists and 4 turnovers.  Let's see if we double McCurdy's 14 minutes from last night we get 8 points, 2 assists, and 4 turnovers. 

What we know about Ervin is that he improved in his sophomore season to 7 points, 4 assists, and 3 turnovers.  We don't know how much better McCurdy can get, but those numbers from Ervin aren't exactly staggering. Nobody is trembling in their shoes about the thought of competing with Ervin for playing time. 

Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: fineswine on February 12, 2006, 11:11:36 am
I still don't see why everyone is so high on this young man.  He gets beat off the dribble almost every time down the floor, and does not look comfortable with a defender on him when he has the ball.  I think Jefferson may be the worst point guard in the league, but he keeps McCurdy on the bench.  Maybe Stan sees things in practice that everyone speculates to not be true.  Thank goodness Gary E. is available next year.

Excellent point. I think many just want someone else to have a shot at PG to see if he can do better than the starter. But as you say, obviously McCurdy is not as good since he's not taking over the starting role. And missing those 2 FT's with the game on the line didn't help him with Heath one bit.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: jrw11475 on February 12, 2006, 11:12:27 am
HOGINMEMPHO HAS ALL OF THAT SNOW MELTED YET?

Almost. Easy come, easy go.

pfrg999

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 12, 2006, 11:20:38 am
Quote from: fineswine on February 12, 2006, 11:11:36 am

Excellent point. I think many just want someone else to have a shot at PG to see if he can do better than the starter. But as you say, obviously McCurdy is not as good since he's not taking over the starting role. And missing those 2 FT's with the game on the line didn't help him with Heath one bit.

Yup... Those Free throws Didn't help him or Heath or any on the McCurdy lovers one bit....
We just need a damn Point Guard
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

g.lynn

I don't know what the detestation is with DJ.  IMO, of the 12 point guards in the SEC I would rank him near the bottom, but Hog fans he's the best point guard we got!  Ferguson?  No point guard.  He's had 4 years.  McCurdy?  No point guard.  He's a white version of Ferguson, but he does have 3 ½ years ahead of him.  This year its DJ at point.  Get over it!   
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

There is nothing wrong with the Hogs, that cannot be cured by what is right with the Hogs!

hogtheball

I actually think the best point guard we have is Brewer.  Last night, we starting running our offense well when Brewer was bringing the ball up.  He makes some great plays because he demands so much attention from the defense.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

TDHog

Quote from: g.lynn on February 12, 2006, 11:24:00 am
I don’t know what the detestation is with DJ.  IMO, of the 12 point guards in the SEC I would rank him near the bottom, but Hog fans he’s the best point guard we got!  Ferguson?  No point guard.  He’s had 4 years.  McCurdy?  No point guard.  He’s a white version of Ferguson, but he does have 3 ½ years ahead of him.  This year its DJ at point.  Get over it!   

Which explains McCurdy's 14 mins last night, and I expect more PT to come.  He is a true PG and our offense executed well with him, he does not get beat off the dribble, give up the slow white boy crap and actually watch a game.

hogtheball

Sure he was improving.  I agree. And he might be a good point guard, although he was mediocre at best at MSU.  I just get upset when guys on this board talk about ERvin like he's the next allen iverson or john stockton and that McCurdy won't stand a chance competing for play time. 

That just isn't true.  We all know if mccurdy played 30 minutes a game he would average more points and more assists than ervin did his freshman year.  No question.  So to just accept that ervin is better doesn't make sense. 

they were both recruited by some big schools out of high school. Who cares. I bet they both play a lot next year and they both help the Hogs temendously.  I hope they even get along off the court as that tends to make teams better as well. 

TDHog

Quote from: hogtheball on February 12, 2006, 12:12:46 pm
Sure he was improving.  I agree. And he might be a good point guard, although he was mediocre at best at MSU.  I just get upset when guys on this board talk about ERvin like he's the next allen iverson or john stockton and that McCurdy won't stand a chance competing for play time. 

That just isn't true.  We all know if mccurdy played 30 minutes a game he would average more points and more assists than ervin did his freshman year.  No question.  So to just accept that ervin is better doesn't make sense. 

they were both recruited by some big schools out of high school. Who cares. I bet they both play a lot next year and they both help the Hogs temendously.  I hope they even get along off the court as that tends to make teams better as well. 

AMEN!

Cornhogio

TD Hog and misscohog, HiM has been involved with both Razorback message boards worth a crap for longer than either of you.  You don't have to agree with him, but with your combined 59 posts, perhaps it's you that should consider taking your thoughts elsewhere. 

Obviously, you haven't a clue that his main intent is to roust deep thinkers such as yourselves into action.  Well played Mark.  :)
Society is responsible for the night that it produces.

TDHog

Corn,

You think I don't know exactly what his purpose is?  The Longhorn Avatar gives that away plainly.  As for you other comment:

#1 I have posted on Hawgsillustated for several years now, so don't lecture or judge me on my lack of posts here, last time I checked just because someone has posted 350 times, means nothing other than they have free time.  If you would like I will stay up all night and post 300 posts, would that mean I know anymore than I do now?  Your post count comment discredits you.

#2 You are not a moderator so I could really care less what you think, but I have read multiple of "HIM's" post and they are all negative and continously slam the Razorbacks.  I know exactly what his purrpose is which is why I told him to take it to the Longhorn board I don't care if he has been posting for 50 years. 

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: TDHog on February 12, 2006, 12:41:57 pm
Corn,

You think I don't know exactly what his purpose is?  The Longhorn Avatar gives that away plainly.  As for you other comment:

#1 I have posted on Hawgsillustated for several years now, so don't lecture or judge me on my lack of posts here, last time I checked just because someone has posted 350 times, means nothing other than they have free time.  If you would like I will stay up all night and post 300 posts, would that mean I know anymore than I do now?  Your post count comment discredits you.

#2 You are not a moderator so I could really care less what you think, but I have read multiple of "HIM's" post and they are all negative and continously slam the Razorbacks.  I know exactly what his purrpose is which is why I told him to take it to the Longhorn board I don't care if he has been posting for 50 years. 

How much less could you care? We'd like to know.

snoutface

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 12, 2006, 11:10:16 am

But only 2 of those 5 misses came with the game on the line and he missed not just one, but both of them. An SEC guard should not miss consecutive FT attempts with the game on the line...EVER. If he does, he should quit the game.

I guess you didn't see Rondo from KY blow the 2 FT at the end of yesterdays game with Vandy.  And he was at te line by himself shooting on an intentional fould with Ky trailing by 3.  Obviously, Rondo doesn't need to be in the SEC either!
Sometimes it's better for me to be quiet and let everybody believe I'm dumb as dirt, than to speak up and prove it.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Your post count comment discredits you.

Your personal attacks toward another poster discredit you.

Settle down.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

NATEHOGG216

Quote from: snoutface on February 12, 2006, 12:53:40 pm
Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 12, 2006, 11:10:16 am

I guess you didn't see Rondo from KY blow the 2 FT at the end of yesterdays game with Vandy.  And he was at te line by himself shooting on an intentional fould with Ky trailing by 3.  Obviously, Rondo doesn't need to be in the SEC either!

Hell no he doesn't.  That right there shows you Rondo is no good.  Doesn't belong in the SEC.  Hey I think ASU might give him a shot.  "HIM" is just talking SHITE.  Even he knows what he posts is BS.  Just happens to be friends with HSV.  I've said it before, Its not what you know, its who you know.
Quote from: 3kgthog on August 27, 2013, 09:15:10 AM
Just because the Crash Test Dummies were good at hitting a brick wall didn't mean they were good drivers.

NATEHOGG216

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on February 12, 2006, 12:54:22 pm

Settle down.

Come on notshavin,

I know you are a true Hog, don't defend HIM
Just because the Crash Test Dummies were good at hitting a brick wall didn't mean they were good drivers.

Quote from: lunchbox72703 on February 12, 2006, 05:24:21 am
I noticed McCurdy bounce passes to everyone.  Is that a height issue?  Speaking of passes though, did someone light a fire under brewer's behind tonight?  Some of his passes were thrown like bullets coming out of a gun!

I am glad you brought this up.  The bounce pass is a GREAT pass for a PG to use.

It is obvious that teams overplay us because DJ and Ferguson telegraph their passes.  How many times have you seen someone just jump in front of one of our passes? 

The bounce pass is much harder for a defender to intercept, because it is low and changes the speed of the ball.  Furthermore, it is easier for the receiver of the pass to catch it.

Just another reason to keep McCurdy in there.  He has the fundamentals we need at the PG position.

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

Quote from: NATEHOGG216 on February 12, 2006, 12:59:22 pm

Settle down.

Come on notshavin,

I will even defend TulsaHawg against extreme personal attacks. 

Notice I said extreme.  We all go back and forth on here, all in fun. 

I think you can disagree with someone but still show respect.

TDHog

Settle down.

I have not attacked anyone personally, I asked hime to take his smart a$$ comments somewhere else, If HIM wants to actually discuss sports I'll be happy to do it, but when all his posts are little snide comments to try to anger people I stand by my statement.

Cornhogio

Corn,

#1 I have posted on Hawgsillustated for several years now

Welcome to the big time.  Try to remember you're at the grown up table now.  ;)
Society is responsible for the night that it produces.

TDHog

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on February 12, 2006, 01:04:00 pm
Quote from: NATEHOGG216 on February 12, 2006, 12:59:22 pm

Settle down.

Come on notshavin,

I will even defend TulsaHawg against extreme personal attacks. 

Notice I said extreme.  We all go back and forth on here, all in fun. 

I think you can disagree with someone but still show respect.

and I ask you, what was my attack?

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Cornhogio on February 12, 2006, 01:06:02 pm
Corn,

Haha!

NATEHOGG216

Quote from: Cornhogio on February 12, 2006, 12:26:15 pm
TD Hog and misscohog, HiM has been involved with both Razorback message boards worth a crap for longer than either of you.  You don't have to agree with him, but with your combined 59 posts, perhaps it's you that should consider taking your thoughts elsewhere. 

Obviously, you haven't a clue that his main intent is to roust deep thinkers such as yourselves into action.  Well played Mark.  :)

SMOOCH SMOOCH

How does HIMS a$$ taste

TDHog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 12, 2006, 01:06:41 pm
Quote from: Cornhogio on February 12, 2006, 01:06:02 pm
Corn,

Haha!

Yes the whole last portion of this thread reaks of grownups, and as such, I am done.  I have nothing against either of you or this little tag team, but this board is for sports, we can continue this on the playground

NATEHOGG216