Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What has been the tenure of SEC M BBall Coaches during the Expansion Era?

Started by jbcarol, February 13, 2011, 08:07:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

WINNINGEST SEC COACHES BY PERCENTAGE
REGULAR-SEASON SEC GAMES '91-92 to present

John Calipari        111-26    .804  2010 - present

Rick Pitino            104-26   .800  1990 - 97

Tubby Smith         139-53   .724  1996-97 (UG); 1998-2007 (UK)

Billy Donovan       200-110 .645  1997-2015

Nolan Richardson  109-67  .619  1992*-2002

Bruce Pearl            74-58   .561  2006-11 (UT); 2015 - present (AU)   

Mike Anderson       48-40   .546  2012 - present

Rick Stansbury     122-102 .545  1999-2012

Andy Kennedy        88-80   .524  2007 - present

David Hobbs          50-46   .521  1993-98

Mark Fox               61-59   .512  2010 - present

*Nolan Richardson: Prior to the 1991-92 season, AR competed in the Southwest Conference (65-31, .677)
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein‏Verified account @JonRothstein 15h15 hours ago

Tulsa's Frank Haith will hire Fresno State's Kenton Paulino as an assistant coach, per a source. Replaces Kim English, who went to Colorado.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

jbcarol

Jason Butt‏Verified account @JasonHButt

'I respect the job Mark has done. I think he's an excellent coach.'

QuoteAthens

For the first time since the Georgia basketball season ended, athletics director Greg McGarity expanded on why he decided that head coach Mark Fox would remain in his position.

First, a refresher: Heading into the SEC Tournament, a Yahoo! Sports report surfaced that McGarity was doing his due diligence to find potential replacements for Fox. The following morning after the report was published, McGarity denied it while stating Fox would be back.

In an interview with The Telegraph, McGarity spoke at length about his reasoning, which he hadn't done since the 2016-17 basketball season ended.

"I think you just have to have a gut feeling," McGarity said. "Mark Fox is an excellent coach. I've got confidence that we're going to have a great season. We had some close games — and again, I don't deal in the what-ifs, the could-haves and the would-haves. I know the type of young men he has on his team. I know who he is bringing in."

McGarity pointed to a few factors at play for why he holds confidence in Fox for the upcoming season.

First, Georgia is bringing back forward Yante Maten, who will enter his senior season as one of the top candidates for preseason SEC Player of the Year. While Georgia loses All-SEC first-teamer J.J. Frazier, it returns every other key contributor from last season's team.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman‏Verified account @GoodmanESPN 24h24 hours ago

East Carolina coach Jeff Lebo hires former College of Charleston coach Doug Wojcik as assistant.

Former Auburn coach

jbcarol

Kentucky Basketball‏Verified account @KentuckyMBB 1h1 hour ago

What a night. You'll notice the smiles on our guys' faces. This meant a lot to them. #TeamingUpForTexas

With your help we were able to generate over ONE MILLION dollars.

jbcarol

Frank Martin led South Carolina to the Final Four for the first time in school history last spring, and now he wants more.

Quote"I've got an itch like never before to coach on Monday night," Martin said Monday on the College Hoops Today Podcast in reference to coaching in the national title game. "I've scratched that Saturday itch by coaching in the Final Four, and now I've got an itch to coach on Monday night. I'm more determined than I've ever been in coaching."

Gamecocks, who were 26-11 and a No. 7 seed, fell to No. 1-seeded Gonzaga 77-73 in the Final Four. South Carolina lost its entire perimeter — P.J. Dozier, Sindarius Thornwell and Duane Notice — from last season.

South Carolina does return two front-court starters in Maik Kotsar and Chris Silva.

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman‏Verified account @GoodmanESPN 23h23 hours ago

Former NC State head coach Mark Gottfried will be a scout this season for the Dallas Mavericks, source told ESPN.

jbcarol

Rick Ray‏Verified account @RickRay1

College basketball's FBI news...

Kevin Brockway‏ @gatorhoops 17h17 hours ago

Kevin Brockway Retweeted Rick Ray

Former Miss State basketball coach sounds off

jbcarol

jbcarol

Terry Meiners‏ @terrymeiners 6h6 hours ago

Pitino atty Steve Pence says after coach was given "unpaid administrative leave, (UofL) changed the locks on the doors.  How insulting."

jbcarol

jbcarol

Pat Forde‏Verified account @YahooForde

Column: I've covered Rick Pitino for 27 years. It never should have ended this way for a coaching genius, but it did

QuoteLOUISVILLE, Ky. – It never should have ended this way for Rick Pitino.

Never should have ended with him getting out of a silver Lexus SUV on Wednesday morning, rushing up the steps of Grawemeyer Hall, Louisville's administration building, chased by reporters shouting questions about whether he was being fired. Five minutes later Pitino was out and back down the steps, into the Lexus and gone, perhaps never to be seen on this campus again.

No, one of the most accomplished careers in college basketball history should never have come to this. But in a sad, Shakespearian plot twist, Pitino let it happen this way. He stopped sweating every detail, started making questionable staff hires and finally was felled by one too many bombshell revelations.

Glory was tainted by disgrace. All the fun times and great victories, the witty charm and inclusive charisma, was sullied by one late-career scandal after another. All the books Pitino wrote, peppered with self-help wisdom and how-to-succeed motivation (one of which, full disclosure, I co-wrote), and by Wednesday morning they no longer applied to the author himself.

The sight of Rick Pitino hustling away from the spotlight he once basked in was surreal and sad and altogether avoidable.

It should have ended with a scene similar to the one he was part of in March 1991, in Lexington, when he was the coach at Kentucky. It was his second year leading the Wildcats, and a program decimated by probation had miraculously posted the best record in the Southeastern Conference at 14-4, 22-6 overall. Because of NCAA sanctions levied before Pitino had arrived, Kentucky was not eligible for the postseason and could not officially claim an SEC title.

So, with no tournament basketball to play and no actual hardware to embrace, Kentucky decided to have a parade through Lexington. On a sunny March afternoon, fans lined the streets and cheered wildly. Pitino, atop a fire truck, waved to them and smiled.

It was a sweet, old-timey moment – something you might see a small-town high school team do after winning the state championship.

It also was pretty much the last time traditionally monolithic Kentucky basketball truly could be viewed as a plucky, up-and-coming overachiever. Freed from probation, the Wildcats would begin the next season in the AP top five and end it within a breath of the Final Four, losing to eventual national champion Duke in what is widely considered the greatest college basketball game ever played.

jbcarol

Not Jerry Tipton‏ @NotJerryTipton 19h19 hours ago

Good call, Rick!

(h/t: @SeanKeeleyIsMe)

jbcarol

Antonio Morales‏Verified account @AntonioCMorales

"I've been in this business for over 20 years, so was I shocked to hear some of the things that came out? No, I was not," Andy Kennedy said about the FBI's probe into college hoops

Quote"But again, when the feds are involved and they've got what they seem to have and there's people going to jail, indictments are being handed out, it makes everybody stop and pay attention."

The resignation of Alabama staffer Kobie Baker was reportedly related to the FBI's investigation. So the probe's web has already proven to be wide.

"I learned about it as you did, I'm sure," Kennedy said. "I see it pop up Tuesday morning. I was on the road recruiting and started getting the information. I was just like you, kind of taken aback as far as the scope of what had transpired. You're talking about a federal investigation over a number of years. A lot of incriminating evidence."

So when asked if the news reshuffles the deck a bit in recruiting, Kennedy said the following:  "There's a number of good players out there. In our business, the transfer rate is off the charts. I think there was close to a thousand guys transferring this year so there's always movement.

"But when something like this occurs, obviously every program takes a step back and all the programs directly involved, again who knows what the next layer is, but all the programs directly involved there's a number of guys involved with those programs, both current players and potential incomers, and that will all be in flux for sure."

jbcarol

Dave Matter‏Verified account @Dave_Matter

Cuonzo Martin says he doesn't wait for compliance office to get involved to keep program clean. "I am compliance."

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein‏Verified account @JonRothstein

Rick Pitino has released a statement following his dismissal at Louisville:

QuoteThere's been a lot of turmoil the last few days and I've intentionally avoided making any public statements – primarily because so few facts are known. But I wish to make a few now.

First, I want to thank all my players from Providence, UK and Louisville. Your support means more to me than I can possibly express.
Second, to the many friends and fans who reached out to me in the last few days: I owe a thousand thanks and an apology for the disappointment you must have.

Third, as I've previously stated, I had no knowledge of any payments to any recruit or their family. But I was the head coach and I will take ownership of my decisions. The University took the action they thought was necessary and I will do the same.

Finally, Tom Jurich is the best athletic director in the country, and thanks to him I coached Louisville basketball for over sixteen years where we witnessed many great things. From conference USA, AAC, Big East and now the ACC. I am proud of our many accomplishments and appreciate the continued support of the Louisville community. Again, a thousand thanks.

jbcarol

Pitino: 'I'll be vindicated' in college basketball recruiting scandal

Quote"Right now it's in the lawyers' hands," Pitino said in a brief phone interview. "I went to Miami. I'm selling my house (in Louisville). I love David Padgett. I love the boys. I hope they win the national championship. I'm not doing anything but laying low."

Pitino also said he was discussing former Louisville player Terry Rozier's sponsorship deal with Adidas in phone calls with Adidas representative James Gatto.

The FBI complaint says Gatto had two phone conversations on May 27 with a phone number used by "Coach 2" and another one on June 1, the day the Courier-Journal reported Brian Bowen enrolled at Louisville.

Asked if he is the "Coach 2" listed in the FBI's criminal complaint released Tuesday, as a law enforcement source confirmed to the USA TODAY Network and the Courier-Journal, Pitino said it "doesn't matter if I am or not."

Pitino said he has "(zero) to do with any of it and I'll be vindicated."

University of Louisville interim President Greg Postel placed Pitino on unpaid administrative leave on Wednesday, effectively firing him, according to Pitino's lawyer, Steve Pence.

Pence told the Courier-Journal on Sunday that he and other lawyers working for Pitino have put U of L officials on notice that they believe Pitino's effective dismissal violates the coach's employment agreement. That breach of contract may eventually become the basis for a lawsuit unless the university remedies the situation within 30 days, Pence said in a text.

According to Pitino's contract, termination of the agreement by his employer, listed as the U of L Athletics Association, "may occur only by decision of" the board of directors or an authorized subcommittee after 10 days prior written notice of the charges against him and "an opportunity for (Pitino) to present evidence."

Pence previously had predicted a "bare-knuckle fight" over Pitino's dismissal and said that "the facts will inevitably exonerate him." Padgett, who played for Pitino and was an assistant coach on his staff, was named Louisville's interim head coach on Friday.

jbcarol

Wow. This story on Louisville athletic dept, Tom Jurich & Rick Pitino is pretty remarkable

QuoteHis loyal deputies call him the best athletic director in America.

While fans at Alabama, Notre Dame and Ohio State might quibble with that, there is no disputing that suspended University of Louisville athletic director Tom Jurich has been the highest paid in the land.

Over the past seven years, through a byzantine array of longevity and performance bonuses, base pay raises and tax subsidies, Jurich collected total compensation of $19,279,710...

While the compensation of now-suspended Louisville basketball coach Rick Pitino – $7,769,200, $5.1 million of which comes from the university, according to USA TODAY – has been well publicized, Jurich's pay has not gotten the same level of scrutiny. The first public accounting of his total compensation came in a forensic audit of the U of L Foundation released in June.

His friend, Terry Meiners, the radio and TV personality, said: "Tom Jurich injected a businesslike strategy into a middling athletics department to fast track it to greatness. The former Floyd Street chemical dumping grounds now house an EPCOT Center of colossal stadiums, pristine practice facilities, and green space. Jurich did the bulldozing and the city reaps the rewards.

"Do we overpay for sports entertainment?" Meiners asked. "No doubt. Jurich is a one-man Fortune 500 company. CEOs get paid. Great CEOs get paid stupid money. Welcome to 'Merica."

jbcarol

jbcarol

Louisville officially fires basketball coach Rick Pitino

QuoteUniversity of Louisville has officially fired head basketball coach Rick Pitino for "just cause", according to the Courier-Journal. In late September, Pitino was implicated by the FBI in a corruption investigation.

Pitino was suspended on Sept. 27, shortly after the FBI revealed its findings. The investigation is ongoing.

Pitino was the highest paid coach in college basketball, clearing nearly $8 million per year.

Pitino had been with Louisville since 2001.

jbcarol

Ben Howland's third season at Northern Arizona, Pitt, and UCLA signaled a shift in momentum and he's hoping the same thing can happen this year at Mississippi State.

Quote"If we're healthy, we can win any game that we play," Howland said Monday on the College Hoops Today Podcast. "We have to stay healthy. That's the most important thing. But we're going to have a chance to beat anybody that's on our schedule if we have all hands on deck and that's really exciting."

State finished 16-16 last season with a core of underclassmen. Howland has an overall record of 82-20 during his third seasons at his previous three coaching stops.

jbcarol

Darren Rovell‏Verified account @darrenrovell 13h13 hours ago

Pitino lawsuit against adidas asserts that adidas conspired to unlawfully send a recruit to Louisville without his knowledge.

Darren Rovell‏Verified account @darrenrovell 13h13 hours ago

Adidas statement on Pitino suing company: "Mr. Pitino's lawsuit is clearly a reaction to his termination yesterday and is without merit."

Not Jerry Tipton‏ @NotJerryTipton Oct 16

After Hookergate, Pitino demanded to know "everything" about recruiting going forward. Is this why he handled the Bowen payments himself?

jbcarol

Michael Carvell‏ @Michael_Carvell

WATCH: Maria Taylor clarifies concerns over Coach Cal interview

QuoteThe internet was a little taken aback with Coach Cal's grip on Taylor's arm, while other fans had fun with the fact that she immediately came back with a joke, "I'm not your player." Calipari and Taylor smiled and laughed throughout the interview.

Nevertheless, Taylor provided a lighthearted update on her arm after the game, and then followed up with a video update...

jbcarol

Dave Matter‏Verified account @Dave_Matter
6h6 hours ago

Gordo: Porter Jr.'s demise puts the onus on Martin http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/jeff-gordon/gordo-porter-jr-s-demise-puts-the-onus-on-martin/article_65afd8f9-f108-565e-80b9-f2ee38f54d3f.html ... via @stltoday

QuoteOK, Cuonzo Martin, let's see you do your coaching thing.

His Missouri Tigers on Monday night labored through a miserable 67-62 non-loss to Emporia State, a middling Division II team. On Tuesday they learned that superstar recruit Michael Porter Jr. will miss most or all of the remaining season after undergoing back surgery.

Those back-to-back developments left TigerFan reeling. Monday's game, like the blowout loss at Utah, represented zero improvement over the dreadful Kim Anderson Era.

Then the demise of Porter Jr. crushed the expectations of an energized fan base. There is a chance his Mizzou basketball career will consist of 1 minute 40 seconds and one put-back basket against Iowa State. [Rewatched the start of Mizzou-Iowa St game and Porter actually played 2:07, not 1:40 as boxscore indicated. My mistake. He touched the ball a grand total of five times on MU's three possessions with him on the floor.]

jbcarol

Coach Trotsky?

QuoteSeveral times before tip-off and once at halftime UK plays videos that highlight its storied program.

Adolph Rupp (nine times), Joe B. Hall (five) and John Calipari (four) appear prominently in the videos. Tubby Smith appears twice. But no mention is made of three relatively recent former UK coaches: Eddie Sutton, Rick Pitino and Billy Gillispie.

Nathan Schwake, UK's Associate A.D. for Marketing and Licensing, said the trio's absence is incidental and not an attempt to give the three the Leon Trotsky treatment by erasing them from the record.

jbcarol

Jerry Tipton: Should UK fans believe Calipari when he talks of retirement?

Should they believe much of anything.

QuoteJohn Calipari spoke last week about how hard it is to be Kentucky's basketball coach. He also said it would not be wise to remain in the job too long. This was:

a) A genuine reflection on how a demanding job had worn him down to the point he must consider an exit strategy.

b) A Cal-culated ploy to distract UK basketball's impossible-to-satisfy fans should this season's team stumble.

c) A Cal-culated ploy to remind UK basketball's impossible-to-satisfy fans to appreciate that, as Carly Simon once sang, these are the good old days.

Then came the part that sounded like a hint or tease that he's thought about stepping away.

"I don't know how long I'll be in the seat," he said. "It's hard. It's hard."

Staying too long at any job invites trouble, he said.

"In anything you do, you try to do it too long, it never ends well," he said. "That won't be me, I promise you."

Calipari said his departure could be tied to his bedtime.

"When I have to start going to bed at seven, that's when I probably know," he said as Rotarians laughed. "It's probably time."

Surely no one knows more about the demands of being Kentucky coach than Joe B. Hall. With the added burden of following the revered founding father of UK basketball, Adolph Rupp, he said he faced much more stress in his 13 seasons as coach than Calipari.

Being a Kentuckian, and knowing how important the program was to fans, only intensified the strain, he said. So Calipari has the advantage of a certain emotional detachment.

Not that any coaching job is easy, Hall said. There's an almost ceaseless demand on your time and thoughts.

"You don't really have time to enjoy life like people who get off at five o'clock," Hall said. "Most people leave the office, grab their golf clubs, play nine holes, come home to a good dinner, sit around and watch television."

Hall retired at age 56. Calipari is 59.

The late Al McGuire once said that being Kentucky coach was like being Wilt Chamberlain (or, if you want an updated analogy, LeBron James): "You can never hide."

As for how Calipari handles the demands of being UK coach, Hall said, "I think he's doing great. He's almost a perfect fit."

So why did Calipari talk to the Rotarians about being tired and not intending to stay on the job too long?

"I think it's a good thing to say," Hall said with a chuckle. "It keeps the wolves off your back."

BCG blew off the Rotarians.

jbcarol

Tennessee men's basketball AP Top 25 respect, first time since 2010

QuoteTennessee is back in the AP Top 25 men's basketball poll for the first time in nearly seven years.

The Vols (6-1) cracked the rankings at No. 24 on the heels of Sunday's night's 77-70 win at Georgia Tech (4-2) in Atlanta, the team's third win over an ACC school (counting an exhibition win at Clemson).

Purdue — a team Tennessee beat 78-75 on a neutral floor in the Bahamas on Nov. 22 — is ranked No. 21 with an 8-2 record.

The Vols were picked to finish 13 in the conference at SEC Media Days in October, but they are one of four SEC teams currently ranked in the Top 25. (No. 5 Florida, No. 7 Texas A&M and No. 8 Kentucky are the others).

Vols coach Rick Barnes said Sunday night that last year's Tennessee team might not have been able to handle the praise that comes with a 6-1 start — the program's best since Bruce Pearl's final team opened the 2010-11 season at 7-0 with a win over then-No. 2 Pittsburgh.

That was also the last time Tennessee basketball was ranked in the AP Top 25.

Distractions from an NCAA investigation — ESPN analyst Dick Vitale mercilessly took shots at the Vols' program — took a toll and led to consecutive losses to Oakland, Charlotte and Southern California the week of Dec. 14-21, 2010.

"We've still got a long way to go, but our guys have worked hard, and they deserve to have some good things happen," Barnes said after Sunday's victory.

jbcarol

Former Kentucky coach Billy Gillispie needs a kidney transplant "ASAP," according to a report by The Dallas Morning News.

QuoteGillispie's health has been cause for concern for much of the last year, as the coach briefly retired from his position as the coach at Ranger College, a junior college in Texas, due to concerns about high blood pressure. However, Gillispie returned to the Rangers bench this season.

According to The Dallas Morning News report, Gillispie had missed the past three games due to health issues, though the cause of those issues had not been made public until Saturday.

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman
‏ @BrentZwerneman
4h4 hours ago

A story for Christmas: How Billy Kennedy's random act of compassion left a lasting impression on fellow coach Nate Oats: http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/aggies/article/Buffalo-coach-Nate-Oats-recounts-act-of-kindness-12451266.php ... via @HoustonChron

jbcarol

Former SEC basketball coaches with late December birthdays

QuoteHappy birthday

To former Georgia coach Ron Jirsa. He turned 58 on Thursday. . . .
To Western Kentucky Coach Rick Stansbury. He turned 58 on Saturday. . . .
To former South Carolina coach (and Tates Creek High School grad) Darrin Horn. He turned 45 on Saturday. . . .
To former Arkansas coach Nolan Richardson. He turns 76 on Wednesday. . . .

jbcarol

Michael Carvell‏ @Michael_Carvell

Kentucky Insider: He had to go, but Cats-Cards rivalry is sure going to miss Rick Pitino

QuotePitino is gone, dragged down and out by the bombshell FBI probe that rocked college hoops this summer, how will the showdown Friday (1 p.m., CBS) between UK and U of L feel? Almost certainly diminished.

While Pitino went just 2-8 against Calipari in the rivalry — and 6-12 overall against Kentucky — their battles always felt big. Most were. Both teams were ranked in seven of 10 Rick vs. Cal collisions. Three times, both were in the top 10. Twice, they met in the NCAA Tournament — the 2014 Sweet 16 and 2012 Final Four (both won by the Cats).

All but one of those games in the last eight years was decided by single digits, four of them by four points or fewer.

Kentucky launched its 2012 title run in the Cardinals' home arena and went through them to win it. Louisville launched its 2013 title run in the Cats' home arena and luxuriated in the fact that UK suffered a first-round NIT defeat that same season.

Kentucky got swift revenge with two rivalry victories the next season, including a come-from-behind upset of the Cards in an NCAA regional semifinal on the way to the 2014 championship game. What an absurd three-year run for the rivalry.

jbcarol

jbcarol

loganlowery
‏ @loganlowery
13h13 hours ago

NOTEBOOK: Kennedy picks up 100th SEC victory http://www.djournal.com/sports/notebook-kennedy-picks-up-th-sec-victory/article_28e3bef0-3141-5584-accb-4564152dac59.html ... via @DJournalnow

QuoteOXFORD – Andy Kennedy's win on Saturday would've been big enough because it came against in-state rival Mississippi State.

But it was also a milestone for the Ole Miss coach, who earned his 100th Southeastern Conference victory with a 64-58 win over the Bulldogs.

"It means longevity, I've been here a while," Kennedy said. "I've been in a lot of games and I think I've kind of seen it all but this team is kind of showing me some new stuff. Every team has an identity in and of itself and we are figuring out who we are as a group."

Kennedy is in the midst of his 12th season and currently the longest tenured coach in the conference and now owns a 100-89 SEC mark. The Louisville, Miss., native is a two-time SEC Coach of the Year and owns the Ole Miss all-time wins record at 243-146 overall.

Ole Miss has now won eight of the last nine meetings, cutting the Bulldogs' advantage in the series to 142-115 in the SEC's most-played rivalry.

It is the Rebels' best stretch against State since winning eight straight from 1980-83 [Sean Tuohy era].

jbcarol

Wes Rucker
‏Verified account @wesrucker247
Jan 12

#Vols coach Rick Barnes on Saturday being his 1,000th game: God has blessed me with an opportunity to do something I love for a long time. And I'm old.

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman
‏ @BrentZwerneman
9h9 hours ago

From 2006 to 2011, Aggies grew accustomed to seeing A&M in the NCAA Tournament. Billy Kennedy knows it's time to 'break through' for a second trip in his seven seasons: http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/aggies/article/Coach-aware-of-consequences-if-Texas-A-M-s-slump-12499840.php ... via @HoustonChron

QuoteWith an 0-5 start against SEC foes and with Mississippi on tap for Tuesday night in Reed Arena, many A&M fans believe that time should have been a few games ago - or perhaps a few years ago. Starting 12 years ago and over the next six seasons, Aggies grew accustomed to seeing the program in the postseason.

A&M made the NCAA Tournament six consecutive seasons from 2006-2011 under coaches Billy Gillispie and Mark Turgeon, and it has made it once in Kennedy's six seasons since. That 2016 squad, led by Danuel House and Alex Caruso, advanced to the Sweet 16, matching the program's highest advancement.

A little more than two weeks ago, Kennedy's seventh A&M team was No. 5 in the Associated Press poll, matching its highest ranking in program history. Since then, and primarily because of injuries and suspensions, the Aggies have lost their first five SEC games and plunged right out of the Top 25.

"Ah, hell, we're frustrated, there's no question," Kennedy said when reminded of long-agonized fans' frustrations. "There's been some legit adversity when you don't have your guys ready to play (because of) injuries. It's part of the game, and to not have two or three guys and go play some really good teams on the road, you're going to lose some games."

The Aggies, who to start the season handed current No. 6 West Virginia one of its two losses, have a decent shot at making the NCAA Tournament, provided they get their act together. Last year, Vanderbilt squeezed into the only postseason that really counts with a 10-8 SEC mark, becoming the fifth league team that season to make it.

Now the conference is enjoying one of its strongest seasons to date and might get up to eight or nine teams into the NCAA Tournament. A&M's absences in SEC play have been abundant. Shooting forward D.J. Hogg served a three-game suspension, and guards Admon Gilder and Duane Wilson missed time with knee injuries.

All are back, as they were in a 75-62 loss at Tennessee on Saturday. Now the Aggies (11-6, 0-5) must show they meant it when pledging they would make a run when close to full strength.

"It's good to have everybody back, and now we've got to get more comfortable playing with each other and playing more disciplined basketball," Kennedy said. "And it's my job to get us better."

Kennedy also know it's a results-based business, just as former football coach Kevin Sumlin did when he was fired in November following a 16-20 mark in SEC West play over six seasons. Athletic director Scott Woodward likely will take into account A&M's injury situation, but also how the Aggies close out the year with a full roster, should they stay healthy.

jbcarol

Gabe DeArmond‏Verified account @GabeDeArmond

Rick Barnes wins the press conference.  Said he didn't know if he'd ever been in a game where his team wasn't in the one and one and the opponent had two fouls in a half. Then "Yeah, it happened every time I went to Kansas."

Kyle Tucker
‏ @KyleTucker_SEC
8h8 hours ago

Tennessee lost at Mizzou and all of the SEC's ranked teams lost again this week. All on the road. Repeat after me: conference road games are hard.

jbcarol

SEC Country Arkansas
‏ @SECCountryHogs
4h4 hours ago

Arkansas extends contract of basketball coach Mike Anderson  #WPS http://sec.news/2EeVNCu

QuoteUniversity of Arkansas announced Friday evening it has extended the contract of men's basketball coach Mike Anderson by two years.

Anderson's deal with the Razorbacks now runs through March 2022. Anderson signed the extension last November 22, 2017.

Anderson will also receive a slight raise in base salary from $2,250,800 to $2.35 million per year. His total compensation will reach $2.55 million per season. That total would place him in the top 15 nationally this year and keep him at No. 2 in the SEC...

jbcarol

AL.com sports
‏Verified account @aldotcomSports

Ex-Alabama coach calls radio crew 'idiots,' rips ESPN analysts in hilarious segment

QuoteSanderson wasn't pleased with the preceding assessment of Alabama's basketball loss to Missouri the night before. The man who coached the Tide program from 1980-92 had pointed criticisms for the hosts, bracket projections, television analysts and Arkansas.

They talked about the difference in era from when Sanderson led the Tide to 10 NCAA tournaments in 12 seasons

7:53 Sanderson: "Dog gone it, I'm so hacked off, I forgot what I was going to say. What was I going to say? I had something important to say. Ask me something else."

Sanderson then said five SEC teams would be in the tournament if it started today: Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Tennessee and Kentucky.

In the studio, someone points out ESPN tournament expert Joe Lunardi also has Arkansas in his bracket.

9:35 Sanderson: "Arkansas, think I'm going to throw up if Arkansas is in it."

He also didn't enjoy the ESPN2 broadcast of the Alabama loss to Missouri on Wednesday night.

jbcarol

Winningest families of coaches in college basketball history

QuoteBryce Drew is believed to be part of one of the winningest families of coaches in college basketball history. He and his brother, Scott, and their father, Homer, had combined for 1,098 coaching victories going into last week.

The winningest family is the Ibas. The patriarch, Henry Iba, plus Gene, Moe and Clarence, combined for 1,632 coaching victories.

That second winningest family has a Kentucky connection. The Suttons — father Eddie Sutton, who was UK coach for four seasons in the 1980s, plus sons Scott and Sean, have 1,173 victories.

jbcarol

Tom Green
‏Verified account @Tomas_Verde
19h19 hours ago

Auburn basketball is a top-10 team for the first time in almost exactly 18 years. Tigers check in at No. 8 in the AP poll http://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/index.ssf/2018/02/auburn_hoops_polls_week_14.html ...

QuoteAuburn basketball's climb in the national polls continued on Monday.

The Tigers moved to No. 8 in the latest AP poll, climbing three spots and into the top 10 for the first time in 18 years. The last time Auburn (21-2, 9-1 SEC) was ranked in the top 10 of the AP poll was Feb. 8, 2000, when the Tigers checked in at No. 9.

Tigers are the highest-ranked SEC team in both polls. In the AP poll, Auburn moved ahead of both Duke (ninth) and Kansas (10th) after both traditional powers lost last week and fell from fourth and seventh, respectively.

jbcarol

Jeff Borzello‏Verified account @jeffborzello

Three straight losses for Kentucky — with a road trip to Auburn coming on Wednesday.

The last time the Wildcats finished .500 or worse in SEC play was 2009, when Billy Gillispie was in charge.

Jeff Goodman
‏Verified account @GoodmanESPN
10h10 hours ago

Jeff Goodman Retweeted Jeff Borzello

A Billy Clyde reference.

Pat Forde
‏Verified account @YahooForde
10h10 hours ago

Kentucky pounded at Texas A&M. Cats now 6-6 in SEC and taking a three-game losing streak to league-leading Auburn Wednesday. Last time they finished with a losing league record: 1988-89, Eddie Sutton's last season. That's five coaches ago.

jbcarol

UK just lost its third basketball game in a row. How rare is that for the Cats?

QuoteCalipari is in his ninth season as the head basketball coach at the University of Kentucky, and — for the first time during that tenure — his Wildcats have lost three consecutive games.

Such a skid is rare for the Wildcats' program.

How rare?

It happened three different times in Billy Gillispie's two tumultuous seasons as UK's head coach, but only four times in the 17 seasons before that and only seven times from 1979 to 2007.

Calipari lasted the longest of any UK coach before going through his first three-game skid. Saturday night's defeat also ended the third-longest span in program history without a three-game losing streak. Adolph Rupp went nearly 22 years without one, and the Cats didn't lose three in a row for nearly 10 years under Rick Pitino and Tubby Smith.

Kentucky went almost 20 years (from Pitino's first season to Gillispie's first season) without losing four straight games. It's happened only six times since Rupp took over the program in 1930, twice under Gillispie, once under Pitino, once under Eddie Sutton and twice under Joe B. Hall.

Rupp, Smith and, for now, Calipari are the only three UK coaches without a four-game losing streak.

Here's a complete history of UK's three-game losing skids...

jbcarol

Andy Kennedy: It's time for a new voice and a new vision for Ole Miss

QuoteKennedy has no doubt had a successful tenure at Ole Miss. He's the all-time winningest coach in program history. He ranks 18th in SEC history with 245 wins. The Rebels won the 2013 SEC Tournament under Kennedy and appeared in two NCAA Tournaments during his watch (2013 and '15).

But Kennedy was well aware of what the situation was at Ole Miss. After he and the university failed to come to an agreement on a contract extension last spring, it increased the pressure for Kennedy and the Rebels to perform.

The school will honor the remainder of Kennedy's contract, Bjork said, which has two years remaining at a little more than $2 million each season.

"I'm at complete peace with this decision," Kennedy said. "I truly am."

And with that comes some finality to Kennedy's 12-season tenure at Ole Miss. Kennedy held himself accountable for a season that's gone in the wrong direction. There was excitement before the season about a solid group of guards and depth the team lacked last season.

Instead, the team has been plagued by inconsistency and sits just one game ahead of last-place Vanderbilt in the SEC.

Kennedy has been praised for how consistent the program has been during his time in Oxford. He's put together nine 20-win seasons.

He's also received some criticism for reaching just two NCAA tournaments in his time.

jbcarol

Parrish: Andy Kennedy will leave Ole Miss as the winningest coach in school history

QuoteThis is Kennedy's 12th year at Ole Miss. He's never finished worse than 7-9 in the SEC, or worse than sixth in the league, despite having one of the conference's most difficult jobs. Kennedy's 245 victories at Ole Miss make him the winningest coach in school history. The 2007 SEC Coach of the Year led the Rebels to two NCAA Tournaments and advanced both times. Entering this season, Kentucky and Florida were the only SEC schools to win more games than Ole Miss since the day Kennedy was hired in 2006.

Ole Miss is 11-14 this season and on a five-game losing streak.

The Rebels play Arkansas on Tuesday night.

jbcarol

And then the Auburn students chanted, "NIT! NIT! NIT!"

QuoteKentucky is also now 17-9 overall and 6-7 in the SEC with five tough games to go — Alabama at home; Arkansas on the road; Missouri and Ole Miss at home; Florida on the road. UK has not finished with a losing regular-season record in the SEC since the 1988-89 season. That was a year plagued by an NCAA investigation. It also turned out to be Eddie Sutton's last year as the Kentucky coach.

jbcarol

Antonio Morales
‏Verified account @AntonioCMorales

Andy Kennedy's 12-season tenure at Ole Miss has officially come to an end.

QuoteOXFORD — Saturday night figured to be just Andy Kennedy's final game against Mississippi State.

It turns out it was Kennedy's final game at Ole Miss period. Kennedy announced he would step down at the end of the season on Monday. A day after the Rebels lost 79-62 to in-state rival Mississippi State, Kennedy decided to step down immediately.

"It has become readily apparent to me that my continued presence as the head coach is proving detrimental to these players finishing this season in a fashion that is representative of the standard for this program that has been clearly established and maintained for over a decade," Kennedy wrote in a statement. "Therefore, I believe that it is in everyone's best interest that I exit in my role as head coach effective immediately. We all know that 'clean breaks' are always best, and I should have realized this last Monday. My apologies."

Rebels (11-16, 4-10 SEC) has lost seven consecutive games and nine of their past 10. The defeats have become worse with each passing game, as the team gets further and further away from competitiveness with no signs of improving.

It will be Kennedy's first losing campaign in his 12-season tenure at Ole Miss. He finishes his career with 245 victories, the most in program history, 156 losses, a 2013 SEC Tournament title, 11 postseason wins and two NCAA Tournament appearances.

"Andy and I spoke this morning, and I fully support his decision to step away today. While we had hoped to relieve some pressure with last week's announcement, it simply did not work out that way," Ross Bjork said in a statement. "Our student-athletes are the most important aspect of our athletics program, and we must always put them in the best position for success, no matter what. Coach Kennedy will always be remembered as an Ole Miss Rebel, and we wish him the best."

Assistant Tony Madlock will serve as the acting head coach for the remainder of the 2017-18 season. Madlock, a Memphis native, has been Kennedy's assistant the past four seasons. He's also coached at Auburn, UTEP and Arkansas State.

Kennedy thought by announcing his decision to step down, it would liberate his team. Instead, there was a lack of energy in Tuesday night's home loss to Arkansas, which Kennedy said was the most disappointed he's been in his professional career.

He even hinted at this scenario.

"I told Ross if we felt like the product that is Ole Miss would get better, I would walk away right now and never to be heard from again on this campus," Kennedy said. "If that's what this team needs and maybe that's what it needs."

Afterward, Kennedy was asked how he's trying to stay sane while the frustration mounts.

"Who's saying I am sane? It's difficult to watch, man," Kennedy said, "when you know how hard it's been to build it."

So now an era, which spanned 12 seasons and 401 games, has officially come to an end.

Kennedy ends up 102-98 in SEC games, joining a select club of coaches who ended over .500 in the SEC.  He is the only Ole Miss coach with a career record over .500 in SEC games since WWII.

jbcarol

WINNINGEST SEC COACHES BY PERCENTAGE
REGULAR-SEASON SEC GAMES '91-92 to present

Rick Pitino            104-26   .800  1990 - 97

John Calipari         118-33    .781  2010 - present

Tubby Smith         139-53   .724  1996-97 (UG); 1998-2007 (UK)

Billy Donovan       200-110 .645  1997-2015

Jerry Green           41-23   .641   1998-2001 (UT)

Billy Gillispie*        20-12   .625   2008-09 (UK)

Mike White            31-19   .620   2016-present (UF)

Nolan Richardson  109-67  .619  1992**-2002

Cuonzo Martin        40-26  .606   2012-14 (UT), 2018-present (MU)

Mike Anderson        68-52  .566  2012 - present

Bruce Pearl            92-72   .561  2006-11 (UT); 2015 - present (AU)   

Rick Stansbury     122-102 .545  1999-2012

Avery Johnson        26-24   .520  2016-present

Andy Kennedy       102-98  .510  2007 - 2018

David Hobbs          50-46   .521  1993-98

Mark Fox               76-76   .500  2010 - present

* Billy Gillispie was 31-17 in conference games at A&M from '05-'07 in the SWC.
**Nolan Richardson: Prior to the 1991-92 season, AR competed in the Southwest Conference (65-31, .677)