Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

First Game on the Hill - Need Suggestions

Started by J_Ville_Devils_Den, October 13, 2005, 12:31:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

J_Ville_Devils_Den

3 friends along with my son & nephew (12-14) and myself will be heading up from Shrevport on Saturday for our first game ever in Fayetteville.  Any suggestions on where to park, eat, sleep, good time to get there?  Basically all of the basics.  I'm bring an Auburn, Oklahoma and an Alabama fan with me.  I brag about our facilities even though I have never seen them.
Member Number:  #329

Major Payne: Do not attempt to valid my authority. I have eight weeks to turn you gaggling maggots into a well-discipline cadet unit. From this day forward your sorry asses belong to me. You will not eat, sleep, drink, blow your nose or dig in your buts without my say so. Know this, killing is my business, ladies, and business is good.

pork-e-pine

keep bragging, the facilities are awesome.  If you are going to eat at restaraunt, you should eat at penguin ed's(bar-b-que) or AQ chicken.  Both of these have great food at a good price. If you are spending high dollars, there is a steak house on college but it is expensive. 
Plan to get to the game early and park in someones front lawn.  That cost a few bucks but it is better than walking 5 miles.
Have fun at the game and I hope your auburn fan goes home sad.
Winning is fun,
Losing is not;
But Id rather lose and have a good attitude than win and be like texas.
also...be nice, your mom could be reading this.

HogHeathen

Take a tissue for yourself!  Just kidding!  Have fun!!   Make sure you go into the South Endzone food court/shopping center!!

3kgthog

Consume ungodly amounts of adult beverages.  You are going to need it come halftime.   :'(

Oliverhogman

Park at Baum Stadium (tour the BEST basebaball field in America) and ride the shuttle bus to the game.  It is free.  Get there early and stay in Ft Smith unless you want to pay double the price for a hotel.  Fayetteville hotels "jack up the price" during football weekends. 

Also do not sit in any of number 500 sections.

JJHog

Sports stuff:

Check out the football museum in the Broyles Center, the gift shop and museum in Bud Walton.
(and of course the court and the mezzainre with the massive displays of the Sports Illustrated covers)
Cool T shirt shop the sqaure callled Houndstooth

Lots of good eats, others can tell you....Powerhouse Seafood, can't hink of the BBQ joint the recruits go to.....Hermans Ribs (if still open)
" Think Right, Do Right"

Flatfoot

Have to eat at the Venetian Inn in Tonitown.  Order the steak and spaghetti.  Absolutely awesome.
Thank God for Hogville.  I get my Hog Therapy here everyday.

pork-e-pine

hermans is still open, that is the expensive placeon college i was referring to.
Another thing, Go to dickson street.  It is an interesting and fun part of fayetteville.  It is good for people watching or (if you are so inclinded) a place to enjoy an adult beverage.
Winning is fun,
Losing is not;
But Id rather lose and have a good attitude than win and be like texas.
also...be nice, your mom could be reading this.

HogInMemphis

Walk around the stadium first thing Sat morning. Take it all in, get a good look. Then drive back to Shreveport well before the game starts so you don't have to be embarrassed by the product Nutt puts on the field.

Flatfoot

Quote from: HogInMemphis on October 13, 2005, 01:28:01 pm
Walk around the stadium first thing Sat morning. Take it all in, get a good look. Then drive back to Shreveport well before the game starts so you don't have to be embarrassed by the product Nutt puts on the field.

That's funny I don't care who you are!  Lord forgive me and be with the starving pigmes in New Guniea
Thank God for Hogville.  I get my Hog Therapy here everyday.

SultanofSwine

Follow HiM's advice and be DAMN SURE YOU TAKE THEM  THREE BACK with you. ;D

JJHog

This guy is pumped about his Hog weekend in NWA and of course you cannot resist throwing a jab at HDN. He is coming to the Razorbacks, not HDN. 

" Think Right, Do Right"

GorillaJMonsoon

If you are near Bentonville, try the Whole Hog Cafe next to the Krispy Kreme.  Beats the hell out of Penguin Ed's shoe leather. 

LA HAWG

If you want to eat at the stadium try the bar-b-que nachos in the south endzone. 

GorillaJMonsoon

Walk around and talk to people who are cooking and I bet they will share.  It sure beats paying SoDexHo $4 for a crappy "hotdog" Eat food made by people who enjoy cooking and take pride in it, and not from a company that mass produces airport food.

J_Ville_Devils_Den

I soaking this all in will have to print the topic out and bring it with me

That was funny!!

Major Payne: Do not attempt to valid my authority. I have eight weeks to turn you gaggling maggots into a well-discipline cadet unit. From this day forward your sorry asses belong to me. You will not eat, sleep, drink, blow your nose or dig in your buts without my say so. Know this, killing is my business, ladies, and business is good.

cmakrzrbak

There is a great new pizzeria on Garland, accross from Harps and very near the stadium.  It's called Hogwild Pizzaria and is in the shopping center just east of Harps and Mr. Burger.  If you get there early, that lot is open for parking.  Some folks walk alot further. Enjoy your trip and GO HOGS.
"You've got to give a little love to those who love to live"

Philip Lynott

HogInMemphis

Quote from: hogmommy on October 13, 2005, 01:53:01 pm
If you don;t already have hotel reservation, they might be hard to get in NWA.  This is craft fair weekend too.

We cancelled 3 rooms last week at the Bentonville Wingate Inn (think that's the name of it). Try there if you don't have rooms already. I'm sure I'm not alone in cancelling rooms around Fayetteville for this weekend.

A Boy Named Sue E.

You can't come to Fayetteville and not see Dickson St. It's not far from the stadium and loaded with restaurants, pubs, live music, etc. Go to the Hoghaus Brewery on Dickson before the game and sit outside on the upstairs balcony overlooking Dickson St., have yourself a homade brew, sandwich, and just watch the people.

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: A Boy Named Sue E. on October 13, 2005, 03:21:49 pm
You can't come to Fayetteville and not see Dickson St. It's not far from the stadium and loaded with restaurants, pubs, live music, etc. Go to the Hoghaus Brewery on Dickson before the game and sit outside on the upstairs balcony overlooking Dickson St., have yourself a homade brew, sandwich, and just watch the people.

I agree, hit dickson street and see the walton arts center, and across the street is the brew pub.  Homemade beers, and decent food.  I would have to recommend Hermans (its down college about 5 miles a small piece of crap shack, but some of the best steaks in town. 

All in all, you can't go wrong.  I always park at Charlies Chicken for 10 bucks (Owners name is Jeff, great guy, lots of hog memoriabilia, posters, and things in there too) plus great food.

BigSnout

All of NWA is going to be packed this weekend.  Not only for the game, but the big craft fair that someone above was talking about.  I hate this time of the year.  There will be elderly folks everywhere driving 2mph.

MJ2

I wish you could see the lifesize statue of Matt Jones (in running motion, with stiff arm) that should be put on the northeast corner of the stadium.  Right in the opening so you can get a picture of your kids by him and have the stadium in the backgroud..... but.....

It hasn't been built yet.   What are they waiting on?

PorcineSublime

My guess is that if you do not already have a room, you will not get one. There are 4.7 million blue haired ladies looking for the perfect knick knack this weekend and they are all staying at the hotels. Two of the biggest craft fairs in trhe country running at the same time. You can likely get a a room in Alma or Fort Smith, but who knows, you could get lucky in Fayetteville(I know I won't get that one by without comment). Good luck and call the Hogs for me. I will be in Carthage MO watching a HS band marching contest. Woo Hoo, another band marching in the shape of a melon. Not to mention that someone needs to make a law that no one over 175# can wear spandex and carry a flag. That is just wrong.WPS
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

arkhogdog61

Hoggin don't really care if you ever come your not a hog fan anyway basher maybe!
IF YOU CAN"T RUN WITH THE BIG DOGS STAY ON THE PORCH!

hawgball

Coming up from Shreveport this weekend Ft. Smith may be the best place to stay since its only an hour from Ft. Smith to Fayetteville.  There's a nice Hampton Inn in Ft. Smith at I-540 and Rogers Ave. Or there are sever other motels in the immediate vicinity. Also lots of restaurants on that part of Rogers Ave.  Have fun.

PIGINAPOKE

Head down to Baton Rouge. Better team and closer to you ;]]  All kidding aside, try Does eat place on dickson, enjoy your visit
The best thing to happen to RRS is the moron will never bunny hop thru the tunnel again !

Why do rednecks call antlers horns? Are the deer woods really different than the Turkey woods? How much is a " Mess" of Crappie?

DOGALUM

If you can make it here by 7:30 tomorrow night, come by the Springdale game and watch some high speed football.  GREAT FUN!!
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

J_Ville_Devils_Den

Quote from: DOGALUM on October 13, 2005, 06:53:36 pm
If you can make it here by 7:30 tomorrow night, come by the Springdale game and watch some high speed football. GREAT FUN!!

I saw them play when they were down here.  Very impressive!!!  Military obligations keep us from coming up Friday night.