Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is 50/50 on Offense Ideal?

Started by Bomis Hawg, October 13, 2005, 10:15:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Bomis Hawg

It's pretty idea, I think.  No really yard wins, but play wise.  Here is what the SEC shakes up like:

Offense Plays (from most rushing to most passing):

Arkansas: 64.7% of the plays are rushing
Alabama: 61.5% of the plays are rushing
Kentucky: 59.3% of the plays are rushing
Georgia: 57.7% of the plays are rushing
LSU: 57.6% of the plays are rushing
Auburn: 56.2% of the plays are rushing
Miss State: 55.5% of the plays are rushing
Florida: 54.0% of the plays are rushing
South Carolina: 50.7% of the plays are passing
Ole Miss: 51.3% of the plays are passing
Tennessee: 53.7% of the plays are passing
Vanderbilt: 53.8% of the plays are passing

Here are the precent of yardage among the SEC teams:

SEC West:
Arkansas -- 69.1% from Rushing Yards
Auburn -- 57.2% from Passing Yards
Alabama -- 57.3% from Passing Yards
LSU -- 58.4% from Passing Yards
Miss State -- 59.7% from Passing Yards
Ole Miss -- 67.8% from Passing Yards

SEC East:
Georgia -- 56.5% from Passing
Kentucky -- 57.9 from Passing
Florida -- 62.3% from Passing
Tennessee -- 70.6% from Passing
Vanderbilt -- 73.2% from Passing
South Carolina -- 75.2% from Passing

Here is another state, to make the trio complete.  YPP; Yards per point.  The lower, the better.  A good number for an offense is in the lower teens (12-14) up to the mid-teens.  In 1999 when South Carolina went 0-11, they had a YPP of 28.9.  Nebraska had a 11.0 YPP in 1997 during their National Title year.  Those are two references.  Here are the list from the SEC:

Auburn -- 11.0 offense; 27.3 defense
LSU -- 11.8 offense; 16.9 defense
Kentucky -- 11.8 offense; 11.7 defense
South Carolina -- 12.7 offense; 13.8 defense
Alabama -- 13.6 offense; 21.7 defense
Florida -- 14.1 offense; 16.8 defense
Arkansas -- 14.1 offense; 13.7 defense
Georgia -- 14.3 offense; 23.6 defense
Vanderbilt -- 16.8 offense; 17.5 defense
Tennessee -- 17.7 offense; 16.6 defense
Ole Miss -- 18.6 offense; 17.2 defense
Miss State -- 19.3 offense; 14.9 defense

The teams with a higher YPP on defense than offense are: LSU, Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Florida, Vanderbilt, and South Carolina.  Bama is said to be one of the best.  Georgia is no shock.  Auburn might be due to their scheudle.  Florida has a fairly low offensive YPP, though.  South Carolina has a surprising low number on offense, but just as low on the defense.  Same for Kentucky, no defense.

Combine the two.  The team with the most balance on offense and best YPP ratio are Georgia, Auburn, and LSU.  Bama is close behind.  Georgia, Auburn, and LSU have the best balance, and solid YPP's on offense and defense.  Bama doesn't quite have the balance on plays, but they do on yardage.  Plus, they have an outstanding YPP on defense.  Somehow, Kentucky has a good YPP on defense, but terrible on defense.  They do manage to have a pretty balance offense.

Just some numbers to throw out there to discuss.

DevilHog

I think, with this team, balance between run and pass is a little too much to ask. The talent that we have lies mostly with the running game. If we can pass just enough to keep defenses from stacking the line, we will have to most success we are capable of having. The more you get the ball to McFadden and Jones, the more success we will have. We need to throw deep just to get into the safeties heads. Even if we do not complete the pass they need to know they can be beat deep. Running the ball is our best bet right now.

JoeBobHog

I don't see that much of a problem with our ratio--we're a running team, and a good one--and getting better.

what I do see a problem with is--

1. when the passes are called--I think we're too predictable.

2. the type passes we throw--whether it's called that way, or RJ just can't get through his progressions, I want us to throw more vertically, to stretch out the defense.
"Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy."

HogsRule

Quote from: JoeBobHog on October 13, 2005, 10:36:41 am
I don't see that much of a problem with our ratio--we're a running team, and a good one--and getting better.

2. the type passes we throw--whether it's called that way, or RJ just can't get through his progressions, I want us to throw more vertically, to stretch out the defense.

Everyone keeps saying we need to use the pass to stretch the defense to help the running game. How much better is it going to get? The long passes are more exciting but 6 yards/ carry ( or whatever it is. Im sure Stat Master Bomis will know it :) ) is pretty darn good. Our Offense, to play to our strengths, should be a run heavy offense. Its not like the short routes are being totally shut down, Our drives stall because of bad passes or dropped balls (read Cedric Washington) for the most part. I'm not saying don't ever throw down the field, but we are not getting one on one coverage that much on our deep routes and when we do, we don't get seperation. Also to help our defense, we need long sustained drives to keep them off the field.
**Judgement on coaches withheld pending further information**

No Hate Zone

Theolesnort

Quote from: HogsRule on October 13, 2005, 10:48:18 am

Everyone keeps saying we need to use the pass to stretch the defense to help the running game. How much better is it going to get? The long passes are more exciting but 6 yards/ carry ( or whatever it is. Im sure Stat Master Bomis will know it :) ) is pretty darn good. Our Offense, to play to our strengths, should be a run heavy offense. Its not like the short routes are being totally shut down, Our drives stall because of bad passes or dropped balls (read Cedric Washington) for the most part. I'm not saying don't ever throw down the field, but we are not getting one on one coverage that much on our deep routes and when we do, we don't get seperation. Also to help our defense, we need long sustained drives to keep them off the field.
The problem with this HogsRule is that we are now getting into the meat of our schedule in the SEC and if we do not attempt to throw down the field then 8 or 9 in the box will get tighter and tighter till finally even if our big line is blocking well we will be out numbered up front and they will eventually shut us down. We need to figure out something for the other guys to respect our passing game even if it is not our bread and butter and to ignore our passing game and try not to make it better will come home to roost and get us  in trouble very soon.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Bomis Hawg

Comparasion through 5 games last year:

2004: 81/132 (game included the huge comeback against Florida that fell short; plenty of passes in that game)
2005: 65/125

2004: 52 catches by WR; 23 by RB; 6 by TE
2005: 33 catches by WR; 26 by RB; 5 by TE; 1 by QB

Last year it was, 64.1% to the WR; 28.3 to the RB; 11.8% to the TE
This year that is, 50.1% to the WR; 40.0% to the RB; and 7.7% to the TE

Seems more catches by the TE last year.  More out of the flat this year.  To me, I would have guessed more passes to the tailbacks from Matt Jones, being he is more mobile and should have those options.

I don't think you have to be 50% on yardage, but at least 57% rush or pass on play calling.  I think nearly 65% is too much.  Just me though.

Rzrbckr

So what you are saying is if we rushed 100% of the time ,our drives would not be stopped.

Swino

Being a balance team doesn't mean you run/pass equally.  It means that if the opposing team wants to stop the run that you can pass all over them. and if they want to stop the pass?  You run them over.

HogsRule

Quote from: Rzrbckr on October 13, 2005, 12:33:27 pm

So what you are saying is if we rushed 100% of the time ,our drives would not be stopped.

No I'm saying we don't have to stretch the field to be successful, but we do have to complete our 3rd and longs.

No Hate Zone

HogsRule

Quote from: Swino on October 13, 2005, 02:13:43 pm
Being a balance team doesn't mean you run/pass equally. It means that if the opposing team wants to stop the run that you can pass all over them. and if they want to stop the pass? You run them over.

That is correct. As soon as someone stops our running attack will pass it more.

No Hate Zone

John Futrall

Quote from: HogsRule on October 13, 2005, 02:44:01 pm
Being a balance team doesn't mean you run/pass equally. It means that if the opposing team wants to stop the run that you can pass all over them. and if they want to stop the pass? You run them over.

In terms of "balanced offense" is it more of making sure the other team "knows" you can pass, rather than passing 50% of the time?   Most teams in the SEC don't see Arkansas as a team that can pass the ball, they put 8 in the box, and voila....you've stopped Arkansas

On the other hand, this philosophy is what makes teams like USC (SoCal) so good.  Not only do teams think that they can pass, but in many cases, they actually can and DO pass at will, ALONG with having a deadly running attack....I would also argue as this being the reason you see much more passing in conferences like the Big 10 that used to be so "run heavy"

Just my 3 cents.

hogsanity

No quota is desireable.  If you set a number say 50/50 you then have to force one or the other to reach it.  Balance is playing to your strength, and using the other when you have to.  The problem this year is when its 3rd and long we do not go long, but plenty of other teams do the same.  I am tired of watching team after team have 3rd and 5 and throw a 3yrd route. 

THe real question to ask those here screaming for balance is " Do you want balance, or do you actually want a pass 1st team?".  I truly believe many here would rather have a TT offense than a balanced one.  The problem with TT is the same as ours, they are one dimensional, and if that dimension is shut down they have a huge problem. 

THere is no reason for this team to be anything but run oriented.  With McF, Jones, Hillis, and even Howard I would run it too. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HogsRule

Quote from: mikeyg31 on October 13, 2005, 02:53:23 pm
Quote from: HogsRule on October 13, 2005, 02:44:01 pm

In terms of "balanced offense" is it more of making sure the other team "knows" you can pass, rather than passing 50% of the time? Most teams in the SEC don't see Arkansas as a team that can pass the ball, they put 8 in the box, and voila....you've stopped Arkansas

On the other hand, this philosophy is what makes teams like USC (SoCal) so good. Not only do teams think that they can pass, but in many cases, they actually can and DO pass at will, ALONG with having a deadly running attack....I would also argue as this being the reason you see much more passing in conferences like the Big 10 that used to be so "run heavy"

Just my 3 cents.

What team has stopped AR doing that? We can't complete a pass that is what they are stopping. I'm not saying we should run it all the time, but I agree with the hogsanity - when a lot of people say balanced what they really mean is pass all the time. We will not be successfull this year if half of our plays are passes. If we could pass block, our receivers could hang on to the ball (yes even the great Marcus Monk has dropped some catchable balls this year) and RJ could throw a ball above sea level we would have 2 more victories. Oh yeah and our defense has to remember to guard all 11 players (but they are getting better).

No Hate Zone

GorillaJMonsoon

October 13, 2005, 03:57:19 pm #13 Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 03:59:36 pm by GorillaJMonsoon
Just don't be one dimensional and predictable.  Forget percentages. And PulledPork,  Vandy didn't stop us from rushing, Nutt did by sitting Felix and Darren.  Alabama didn't but we still lost because we CANT throw even if we wanted.  People know that now.