Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Herring's Comments on Auburn

Started by sage_dragoon, October 12, 2005, 12:16:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sage_dragoon

I cant find a thread on them. I would like to know what was said. If anyone has a link, please post.
XBox360 - SageDragoon79

hawgmania

I do not have a link, but I heard what he said. In a nut shell Auburn has not really been tested because they have a "Christmas present" schedule
Kevin Burnett
Sherwood, AR

PigKahuna

This morning on Bo's show, he not only repeated that, but said anyone who can read, write and with half a brain could see they haven't played a strong schedule

Feralhog

October 12, 2005, 12:29:34 pm #3 Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 12:32:10 pm by Feralhog
He said their only test thus far was against Ga Tech and that their new QB looked to struggle.  Went on to say it was their first game of the year and that AU's QB has improved every game.  He said he didn't know how much weight to place on the kids improvement because they haven't played anybody since Tech.  Called it a Merry Christmas schedule I think, or something like that.  He said we were gonna go after him early and if he proves he can handle the pressure, then we'll back off.   
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

sage_dragoon

I hope he didnt just give em a can-o-whoop ass to be opened up on us...
XBox360 - SageDragoon79

DevilHog

I don't think that the remarks were meant to be disparaging towards Auburn. If anyone has bulletin board material it is Mississippi St. and South Carolina. We play them both and they are part of the "Merry Christmas" schedule. If this statement turns out to bite us, as far as players being insulted, it may happen later down the road. With that said, I agree with him that they haven't beaten a team as good as the one they play this week.

bigt54

Dear Herring and JFB,
Thanks for the extra motivation.  Me and the coaching staff were worried about our team taking your little pigs too lightly.  See you saturday.

Tommy T
"I was not the best cause I killed quickly, I was the best because the crowd loved me."

Feralhog

Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

BirmingHam

Since everyone is fond of stats (as of 10/8): Auburn oppoents (minus DivI-AA Western Kentucky/Missouri St)
Team               Off Rank          Def Rank       Pass Off     Pass Def     Run Off     Run Def
Auburn               32                     7                43              7              31            25
Ga Tech              76                     25              65             61             7              74
Ball St                 99                     117             89            107           82             116
MSU                   109                   52               97             63            91             47
USoCar                95                    49               45             16            112           95

Ark                    33                     93               113            78              3             92
Vandy                53                      70               36             60             64            71
USoCal                 1                      38               1               83             4             11
Bama                  46                      6                56             11             40            40
ULM                   92                     101              84             51             72            109

We have faced the #1, 46, 53, and 92 offense, Auburn #76, 95, 99, 109
We have faced the #6, 38, 70, and 101 defense, Auburn #25, 49, 52, 117

The worst offense we have faced (ULM) is the higher ranked than the second best (So Car) for Auburn.  Could be why RH said it was a 'Christmas Present' schedule.  Let the spin begin, whichever side of the equator you live on!

HogDodging

It's one thing for a player to be stupid and blurt out bulletin board material but, for a coach to say that is ridiculous.
I don't care how Herring meant it, you can bet Auburn, South Carolina and Mississippi St. are going to take it completely out of context and use it for extra motivation against us.
$300k and we get that kind of stuff.  Geez Herring, just keep your mouth shut and try to teach your players to stop a pass or two.

SultanofSwine

I'm glad to see we have atleast one coach up there that has a pair. 

Buff

if he backs it up you'll be changing your tune.  patience. 

mikeirwin

Quote from: Deep Shoat on October 12, 2005, 02:23:41 pm
It's one thing for a player to be stupid and blurt out bulletin board material but, for a coach to say that is ridiculous.
I don't care how Herring meant it, you can bet Auburn, South Carolina and Mississippi St. are going to take it completely out of context and use it for extra motivation against us.
$300k and we get that kind of stuff. Gee Herring, just keep your mouth shut and try to teach your players to stop a pass or two.
I'd say they stopped quite a few passes the last two games. I'm happy to be able to quote a man who spouts more than typical coachspeak drivel. He just said what a lot of us were thinking. He never said Auburn wasn't any good. He said their schedule was such that they have only been tested once and that was at home. This is their first road game. If you could look insideTom Tuberville's head I'll bet he's asking the same questions as Herring.

CarolinaHog1176

$300k and we get that kind of stuff. Geez Herring, just keep your mouth shut and try to teach your players to stop a pass or two.

why play against somebody if you're not going to get their best?  herring is trying to improve our defense, and in order to do that we've got to see the best that the other team can give.  yea, we got worked by USC but who hasn't.  we bounced back the next week against bama and have improved by leaps and bounds.  I like that our defensive coordinator is saying "bring it on you [CENSORED]" instead of "yea, we're not very good on defense right now....  sure wish our guys were better."  not sure about you, but herring is a leader to those defensive guys.  they see that he's a crazy SOB and will do anything and everything necessary to motivate them to play.  I, for one, LIKE IT.
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

pigfoot

Mike, it's no surprise that you enjoy quoting a coach who "spouts more than typical coachspeak drivel".  A quotable coach is a sportswriter's dream.  I know.  But the stuff from Herring is much like the stuff we see from his defensive backs who too often strut and prance around after making a play.  Watching them, you would think that in making a tackle or batting down a pass they had gone beyond the call of duty.  The Herring statements may well be quotable, but they smack of posturing.  However, I'll admit that the proof is in the pudding.  If his defense takes it to Auburn, he can posture all he wants!   
"...the word, even the most contradictory word, preserves contact.  It is silence which isolates."  Thomas Mann

Cajun Hog

$300k and we get that kind of stuff. Geez Herring, just keep your mouth shut and try to teach your players to stop a pass or two.

I bet he could stop yours?

corndo

I like herring (I think), but I wish he would wait to make comments like that until after we beat a quality opponent.

HogDodging

October 12, 2005, 08:16:45 pm #17 Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 08:22:53 pm by Deep Shoat
Quote from: mikeirwin on October 12, 2005, 03:26:52 pm
$300k and we get that kind of stuff. Gee Herring, just keep your mouth shut and try to teach your players to stop a pass or two.
I'd say they stopped quite a few passes the last two games. I'm happy to be able to quote a man who spouts more than typical coachspeak drivel. He just said what a lot of us were thinking. He never said Auburn wasn't any good. He said their schedule was such that they have only been tested once and that was at home. This is their first road game. If you could look insideTom Tuberville's head I'll bet he's asking the same questions as Herring.

I know what he said.
Big deal.  We stopped some ULM passes.
Maybe if you'd ask some tough questions, you'd get some good quotes.  Don't wait on the subject to start talking.