Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Are the Parameters of Supporting the Program?

Started by WilsonHog, October 09, 2005, 08:36:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

October 09, 2005, 08:36:23 pm Last Edit: October 09, 2005, 08:55:11 pm by WilsonHog
Is it possible that there are Razorback fans out there who are dedicated to the program, loyal to the program, and who have simply decided that the best way for them to support the program is to call for the firing of Houston Nutt?

It's been implied that those who want Nutt fired aren't loyal to the program.

It's been implied that those who don't go to a particular game aren't loyal to the program.

Do you really want to start down that slippery slope?

How about if I said, "Hey, if you don't contribute $500 a year to the Razorback Foundation, you're not loyal to the program."  Or, "If you don't have season tickets, you're not loyal to the program."

It's a stupid, and futile, exercise.

TulsaHawg

Wilson, you had a post on here addressed to me a few minutes ago, but now I don't see it.  I'll try to answer what I remember of it.

Yes, I accept the fact that there are people who are supportive of the program who think there needs to be a coaching change.  I really have no problem with that.

What I DO have a problem with is the constant barrage of negativity  from people who in some cases openly root for the Hogs to fail.  They seem to want the Hogs to lose games to insure that HDN is fired.  They not only choose to not attend any more games, but encourage as many as possible to avoid going to games.

Those of us who openly  make positive comments are ridiculed.  In this thread you have been encouraged to "control" me because I write positive comments about the program and stand up against so much negativity.

I too have criticisms of HDN.  There were things I would like to have seen last night that I didn't see.  However there is plenty of criticism on here.
It seems that is the favored position on Hogville at this time.

merccedes

WilsonHog i agree with so much of what you say, Tulsahawg i agree completely with what you said.

Buff

love the program (always have, always will) - but still dont like the coach

GrizzledHogFan

I love the program/team, but hate the coach and dislike the AD
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

Adam Stokes

I do think Nutt should go, but I also think that most of blame falls on his shoulders.  We don't blame RJ for not completing long passes, but we blame Nutt for calling runnings plays when we know RJ couldn't throw it long enough anyway.  We have a better shot of getting a 10 yard run that a 10 yard pass.  He does call some bad plays, but I feel that we can't blame our losing on anyone else, and that's why we go to him.  Nutt should take some responsibility and admit he's wrong every once in a while, because he doesn't, and he should go as long as we keep losing.  I'm just afraid of losing Mitch.  I'd rather keep Mustain and Nutt than lose both.  MM could easily turn this program around with all the offensive firepower he'd have around him. 

WilsonHog

I've contributed to the Foundation since 1985, and have no intention of stopping.

I've bought season tickets since 1985, and I have no intention of stopping.

That does not mean that I support HDN; I don't, simply because I no longer believe he is the best coach for the job.

That does not mean I support JFB; I don't, simply because I don't believe he's the best AD for the job at this point.   

DisplacedHogFan

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 09, 2005, 09:58:13 pm
I've contributed to the Foundation since 1985, and have no intention of stopping.

That does not mean that I support HDN; I don't, simply because I no longer believe he is the best coach for the job.

That does not mean I support JFB; I don't, simply because I don't believe he's the best AD for the job at this point.

Your position, and people who make the same argument I have no problem with. I'll be flat out honest. I do, however, have a beef with guys like Hog Bounty Hunter and John Wesley Hardin who have said OPENLY that they want us to lose or that people should just watch other games, and are willing to do..."whatever it takes" to get rid of Nutt. This is taking it overboard in my opinion. I don't care if folks don't like the coach. I mean, that's just my take, I could never bring myself to root for the team I love to fail. What I don't understand is how anyone can support the position of those two guys...no matter how much you can't stand the coach, surely every red blooded Hog fan wants their team to win, right?? or at least to watch them play??

Here's a few example of their comments, btw:

HogTBH:

"Auburn 42 Hogs 14 , Auburn has a real offense a week off and will be more than ready for the Hogs.  The tailgate will be good, the game will not.  I will have the best of both worlds, I'll go to the tail gate and then I will go somewhere and watch two good teams play, USC and Notre Dame." on Oct 9th

John Wesley Hardin:

"I no longer give a RAT'S ARSE what they do or when they do it? I hope they lose from NOW on! They all SUCK!" on Oct 7th

Comments like these piss me off...HogTBH's isn't as bad as JWH, but both are quick to say they will never watch another Nutt coached game...well what if he is around for 5 more years? They just won't be fans for five years?!? That's ludicrous! At some point, the hatred of Nutt has to give way for the love of the program itself. What if Nutt WERE to take us to a National Championship? Would these guys STILL bitch and moan and refuse to watch the Hogs? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he WILL do it, just what IF he did it? These are legitimate questions I'd like to see answered by those asking for Nutt's head. If he starts winning (10 or more games a year) again, should he still be fired? These question I ask as someone on the fence as to whether he should be fired or not...I have no love for Nutt, only the program. I want to hear what you guys think is best for the program if he were to right the ship and start winning again?

GrizzledHogFan

Quote from: DisplacedHogFan on October 10, 2005, 01:22:51 am

Your position, and people who make the same argument I have no problem with. I'll be flat out honest. I do, however, have a beef with guys like Hog Bounty Hunter and John Wesley Hardin who have said OPENLY that they want us to lose or that people should just watch other games, and are willing to do..."whatever it takes" to get rid of Nutt. This is taking it overboard in my opinion. I don't care if folks don't like the coach. I mean, that's just my take, I could never bring myself to root for the team I love to fail. What I don't understand is how anyone can support the position of those two guys...no matter how much you can't stand the coach, surely every red blooded Hog fan wants their team to win, right?? or at least to watch them play??

HogTBH:

"Auburn 42 Hogs 14 , Auburn has a real offense a week off and will be more than ready for the Hogs. The tailgate will be good, the game will not. I will have the best of both worlds, I'll go to the tail gate and then I will go somewhere and watch two good teams play, USC and Notre Dame." on Oct 9th

John Wesley Hardin:

"I no longer give a RAT'S ARSE what they do or when they do it? I hope they lose from NOW on! They all SUCK!" on Oct 7th

Comments like these piss me off...HogTBH's isn't as bad as JWH, but both are quick to say they will never watch another Nutt coached game...well what if he is around for 5 more years? They just won't be fans for five years?!? That's ludicrous! At some point, the hatred of Nutt has to give way for the love of the program itself. What if Nutt WERE to take us to a National Championship? Would these guys STILL bitch and moan and refuse to watch the Hogs? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he WILL do it, just what IF he did it? These are legitimate questions I'd like to see answered by those asking for Nutt's head. If he starts winning (10 or more games a year) again, should he still be fired? These question I ask as someone on the fence as to whether he should be fired or not...I have no love for Nutt, only the program. I want to hear what you guys think is best for the program if he were to right the ship and start winning again?

I have to agree with you.  I will continue to watch/listen to the games, and would attend them if I were able, even though Nutt is still the coach and I want him gone yesterday.  I want the Hogs to win and I cheer for them every game.  If Nutt were to somehow lead us to a national championship, I'd even change my opinion about wanting him fired.  That said, I will continue to be critical and call for his firing as long as he continues to screw things up.
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

hamsam

Quote from: TulsaHawg on October 09, 2005, 08:55:04 pm
Wilson, you had a post on here addressed to me a few minutes ago, but now I don't see it. I'll try to answer what I remember of it.

Yes, I accept the fact that there are people who are supportive of the program who think there needs to be a coaching change. I really have no problem with that.

What I DO have a problem with is the constant barrage of negativity from people who in some cases openly root for the Hogs to fail. They seem to want the Hogs to lose games to insure that HDN is fired. They not only choose to not attend any more games, but encourage as many as possible to avoid going to games.

Those of us who openly make positive comments are ridiculed. In this thread you have been encouraged to "control" me because I write positive comments about the program and stand up against so much negativity.

I too have criticisms of HDN. There were things I would like to have seen last night that I didn't see. However there is plenty of criticism on here.
It seems that is the favored position on Hogville at this time.

Second. and Amen!!!
"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008

TulsaHawg

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 09, 2005, 08:36:23 pm
Is it possible that there are Razorback fans out there who are dedicated to the program, loyal to the program, and who have simply decided that the best way for them to support the program is to call for the firing of Houston Nutt?

It's been implied that those who don't go to a particular game aren't loyal to the program.

How about if I said, "Hey, if you don't contribute $500 a year to the Razorback Foundation, you're not loyal to the program."  Or, "If you don't have season tickets, you're not loyal to the program."

Here's an addtional point Wilson.

It seems that no matter what part of the program you want to bring up, people want to bash  and degrade it.

Look at all the negative comments toward John White, JFB, HDN, almost ALL of the assistants, the playcalling, the QB, Jim Lindsey, Paul Eels, Rick, Chuck, Randy, Keith, Quinn,  the band, the band director, too many commercials on the Pig Screen, etc, etc, etc....

I suppose that we might simply chalk it up to a product of the human condition, but my gosh there is a tremendous amount of bitching by people who are supposedly "fans"!

Queen Hog

Quote from: DisplacedHogFan on October 10, 2005, 01:22:51 am

HogTBH:

"Auburn 42 Hogs 14 , Auburn has a real offense a week off and will be more than ready for the Hogs. The tailgate will be good, the game will not. I will have the best of both worlds, I'll go to the tail gate and then I will go somewhere and watch two good teams play, USC and Notre Dame." on Oct 9th

John Wesley Hardin:

DisplacedHogFan, I could NOT have said it better.  It's ok to want HDN fired, but when you want the team to lose then that is going too far.  That, to me, is not a true HOG fan.  A true HOG fan NEVER EVER want the HOGS to lose no matter what.

Go HOGSSSSSSSSSSSSS....beat Auburn!!!!!!!!
I lub me some HOGS!!!

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.
Helen Keller

Call Mr. Sow

That does not mean that I support HDN; I don't, simply because I no longer believe he is the best coach for the job

Have you done anything to let JFB or whomever know you don't support HDN or JFB?  Because I would imagine as far as the foundation and JFB and HDN know, you're pleased as punch with everything that's going on up there.  If my waiter screws up dinner, should I still tip 20%? 

Jim Harris

Quote from: Call Mr. Sow on October 10, 2005, 09:59:11 am

That does not mean that I support HDN; I don't, simply because I no longer believe he is the best coach for the job

Have you done anything to let JFB or whomever know you don't support HDN or JFB? Because I would imagine as far as the foundation and JFB and HDN know, you're pleased as punch with everything that's going on up there. If my waiter screws up dinner, should I still tip 20%?

A friend of mine not long ago had an incredibly bad experience at a restaurant. The food was OK, mostly it took a long time to arrive, some of it arrived cold, but the waiter was a totally jackass, from saying I'll bring you drinks and then taking about 20 minutes to taking another 20 minutes to get them the check, which was expensive anyway. They left writing ZERO in letters on the charge card paper where it indicated to write a tip. The waiter chased them out with, "You're going to stiff me on the tip?" and this friend was saying, "You stiffed us on the service all night, tell your boss he should be cutting the bill amount in half for your ineptitude." He said that all he got back was this quizzical, tilted-head-of-the-dog look fromi this idiot, like his simple presence was worth a tip.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Feralhog

October 10, 2005, 11:12:16 am #14 Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 11:47:46 am by Feralhog
The arguments for HDN might be better received if the man had been here 2 or 3 seasons, but it's been eight!  Why don't some of you step back and take a deep breath?  Maybe if you weren't' so emotional, running around acting like  bandy roosters, you would see things intelligently?

In all my years I've NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS! It's sickening to witness us drift into mediocrity because idiotic fans support the coach instead of the program. 

Show me 1 post with any degree of compelling evidence in support of  HDN's ability to coach.  Point to a game where we used strategy to attack an opposing team's weakness.  There is never a discernable difference in our offense regardless the opponent.  We used the same approach against SMS as we did vs. USC,  Bama or Vandy!   

The numbers have been posted a zillion times,  .500 in the  SEC  and something like .300 against teams' with winning  records.  It's mind boggling how anyone can justify these numbers.  The only notable defense of this has been, "we're po little arkysaw,"  or "the ncaa investigation."

We had people blasting Herring early in the season, yet some of us  pointed to areas of improvement as signs of progress.   And while our defense has a long way to go, one can live with the mistakes because it's clear settling for the quick fix isn't part of the plan. 

Unfortunately the same cannot be said about Nutt.  There is no progress in sight.  If anything the opposite is true.  Since 98, our plane has been level or in slight decline with absolutely no signs of reversal.  The debacle in '03 may have been the single biggest coaching collapse I've witnessed in 30+ years of following the hogs.   

We are clearly at a cross roads.  We have an opportunity to climb out of the quagmire that began in the '90's, but something's gotta change.   It's easy for the powers that be to be content with our current situation.  With the influx of people in NW Arkansas, it's a gimmie that 68,000 will be n the stands.  But don't we deserve better? 

And what are we risking?  .500 in the SEC with nary a victory over teams with SEC winning records.  Hell, Ford gave us that.   Seems to me we're not risking much.  We're gonna put 68K in the stands no matter what the frik we do.  Why not roll the dice in hopes of something better?   

What would happen if we landed the right person, football's version of John Mcdonnell that overcomes the obstacles our current regime use as excuses?  Imagine the demand if we fielded a team that was consistently ranked?  All the sudden that 80,000 plus seat stadium no longer reeks of musings from a senile old man.       
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

MajorHog

a win over ULM and the Nutt Huggers want to rule the world!

first, being a fan is entirely subjective experience.  there are NO rules.  for some that means watching an ocassional game. for some that means a tatoo on their forehead that says GO HOGS GO.  who am I OR ANYONE ELSE for that matter to tell someone "The Ten Commandments of Being a Hog Fan."  get a life. 

second, for the millionth time, one can love the Hogs and not support the coach and/or AD.  and can't I argue that those who support mediocrity don't really love the Hogs because they are helping to keep things bad?

third, someone asked "if Nutt won a national championship would you still hate him."  what a foolish question.  it's foolish because it ain't happening and so is akin to asking "what if the pope converted to Islam?"  further, if Nutt won a national championship he'd be made President for Life of Arkansas and we all know it.  nothing would make me happier than for Nutt to win a national championship, or two, or three or ...  I'd love for him to do that.  and yep, if he produces on the field of course we'd all support him.  this is not PERSONAL - it's not like we think Nutt is a child molester or runs over small dogs on purpose.  he may be a great guy.  he just isn't getting it done on the field and needs to go!

finally, while the Nutt Huggers attack those who are ready for a change at the Head Hog position maybe it's fair to ask them: what would it take for you to call for a coaching change?  the guys been here eight years.  we're bad.  there's no doubting that.  we can debate HOW bad but we're bad.  so what's it going to take? 
You will salute these Hog Clusters, Mister!

Hate'em?  Tell'em so!

www.HornHater.com - an official sponsor of Hogville.net

Jim Harris

Quote from: Feralhog on October 10, 2005, 11:12:16 am
The arguments for HDN might be better received if the man had been here 2 or 3 seasons, but it's been eight!  Why don't some of you step back and take a deep breath?  Maybe if you weren't' so emotional, running around acting like  bandy roosters, you would see things intelligently?

In all my years I've NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS! It's sickening to witness us drift into mediocrity because idiotic fans support the coach instead of the program. 

Show me 1 post with any degree of compelling evidence in support of  HDN's ability to coach.  Point to a game where we used strategy to attack an opposing team's weakness.  There is never a discernable difference in our offense regardless the opponent.  We used the same approach against SMS as we did vs. USC,  Bama or Vandy!   

The numbers have been posted a zillion times,  .500 in the  SEC  and something like .300 against teams' with winning  records.  It's mind boggling how anyone can justify these numbers.  The only notable defense of this has been, "we're po little arkysaw,"  or "the ncaa investigation."

We had people blasting Herring early in the season, yet some of us  pointed to areas of improvement as signs of progress.   And while our defense has a long way to go, one can live with the mistakes because it's clear settling for the quick fix isn't part of the plan. 

Unfortunately the same cannot be said about Nutt.  There is no progress in sight.  If anything the opposite is true.  Since 98, our plane has been level or in slight decline with absolutely no signs of reversal.  The debacle in '03 may have been the single biggest coaching collapse I've witnessed in 30+ years of following the hogs.   

We are clearly at a cross roads.  We have an opportunity to climb out of the quagmire that began in the '90's, but something's gotta change.   It's easy for the powers that be to be content with our current situation.  With the influx of people in NW Arkansas, it's a gimmie that 68,000 will be n the stands.  But don't we deserve better? 

And what are we risking?  .500 in the SEC with nary a victory over teams with SEC winning records.  Hell, Ford gave us that.   Seems to me we're not risking much.  We're gonna put 68K in the stands no matter what the frik we do.  Why not roll the dice in hopes of something better?   

What would happen if we landed the right person, football's version of John Mcdonnell that overcomes the obstacles our current regime use as excuses?  Imagine the demand if we fielded a team that was consistently ranked?  All the sudden that 80,000 plus seat stadium no longer reeks of musings from a senile old man.       

you're forgetting Feral, the last five years (now it's five according to the Ministers of Nutt Truth) don't count because of the NCAA investigation. He's officially only had three years where he got to recruit without a cloud. I'm not sure if it's the first three, the last two and one early or what. Oh, and his first year of recruiting didn't count either because he got a late start. He's had nine recruiting seasons, but six of them shouldn't be held against him. So, it's just like we're only in the second year of the Nutt program. All will be well, as far as we know.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Gman

I don't see any circumstance where it would be ok to root for the Hogs to loose. 

Feralhog

Quote from: Gman on October 10, 2005, 02:06:55 pm
I don't see any circumstance where it would be ok to root for the Hogs to loose.

A little perspective please!  The number of people on this board who've posted they want the hogs to lose is less than 5.  Factoring in the registered members, surely your not implying that .0004 % represents anything significant for this board!
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

Swino

Me neither, but I see a lot of so called fans on this board supporting Houston still.  Rooting for Houston is rooting for more losing and being a subpar program.  How can any fan root for that??

Feralhog

Quote from: drakehog on October 10, 2005, 01:57:32 pm

you're forgetting Feral, the last five years (now it's five according to the Ministers of Nutt Truth) don't count because of the NCAA investigation. He's officially only had three years where he got to recruit without a cloud. I'm not sure if it's the first three, the last two and one early or what. Oh, and his first year of recruiting didn't count either because he got a late start. He's had nine recruiting seasons, but six of them shouldn't be held against him. So, it's just like we're only in the second year of the Nutt program. All will be well, as far as we know.

Actually I did touch on the investigation, HOWEVER, I didn't use the revised theorem.  Thanks for the correction.

TulsaHogFan

you're forgetting Feral, the last five years (now it's five according to the Ministers of Nutt Truth) don't count because of the NCAA investigation. He's officially only had three years where he got to recruit without a cloud. I'm not sure if it's the first three, the last two and one early or what. Oh, and his first year of recruiting didn't count either because he got a late start. He's had nine recruiting seasons, but six of them shouldn't be held against him.So, it's just like we're only in the second year of the Nutt program. All will be well, as far as we know.

Ahhhh No wonder all our talent is in our freshman and sophmores.  At least thats what i keep hearing.  "Just look at how young we are, in a few years we will be AWESOME!"

I am tired, oh god so tired, of the wait till next year, or the you will see, we will turn this around.

Its gotten soooo old that i am just ready to see something, anything, and yes wins over ULM don't count.

Sound the Horns

October 10, 2005, 02:41:35 pm #22 Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 02:48:22 pm by Sound the Horns
Quote from: Feralhog on October 10, 2005, 11:12:16 am

Good points, just because alot of us are wanting a change doesn't mean we have given up on the program and we are "the negative scum of the earth." We see a bright future for the hogs and that doesn't consist of Nutt being our coach. I'm sick of people getting labeled as "quitters" for wanting a change. IMO, the "quitters" are the one's that have accepted that " we are poor Arkansas" and "we don't have the high school talent" and " our poor program was under investigation". The change might not happen soon but its going to eventually happen and some of these people will just have to deal with it.

artyhog

It is a simple formula for me.

If the Hogs are playing any sport, male or female, I am supporting them. :)

I support the players in all sports.   ;D

Why get mad or not support the players because of a coach?

That means that I will keep donations up and buying season tickets to all home FB games and some of the away games.

Call Mr. Sow

Quote from: artyhog on October 10, 2005, 02:44:35 pm
It is a simple formula for me.

If the Hogs are playing any sport, male or female, I am supporting them. :)

I support the players in all sports. ;D

Why get mad or not support the players because of a coach?

That means that I will keep donations up and buying season tickets to all home FB games and some of the away games.

That's cool.  Whatever floats your boat.  But do you do anything at all to let the powers that be know you don't find our current situation acceptable?  Or are you content with being on the same tier with Ole Miss and MSU year after year? 

Because the way things are now, unless you've done something else to express your displeasure, Broyles thinks you're one of the 95% who are pleased with Nutt and the state of the program.  You are, in essence, the embodiment of inertia in our program and an anchor which will keep the program from moving forward.  Now, if you're happy with Nutt and the program as is, that's fine, but if you want change, then you need to do something to let Broyles know, because dollars coming in the door and butts in the seats seems to be sending Frank the message that the Hog fans really don't give a darn about wins or losses.

artyhog

Other than a letter to his office, there is not more I will do.

I am not satisfied with a losing record.  But I will be in the seat watching them play.  I work too hard to get the money to buy the tickets to let them go to waste.

Do I like Nutt, yes. 

There are 6 games left in regular season and I will be at or watch (Ga) every game.

Tomhog™

Quote from: artyhog on October 11, 2005, 10:50:17 am
Other than a letter to his office, there is not more I will do.

I am not satisfied with a losing record. But I will be in the seat watching them play. I work too hard to get the money to buy the tickets to let them go to waste.

Do I like Nutt, yes.

There are 6 games left in regular season and I will be at or watch (Ga) every game.

Arty, I'm disappointed.  I figured you would have said, we have 7 games left this season.... (implying our bowl berth) ;D

Biggus Piggus

So, it's just like we're only in the second year of the Nutt program. All will be well, as far as we know.

It's way too early to jump to conclusions, then.
[CENSORED]!

HogInGermany

October 11, 2005, 01:23:42 pm #28 Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 01:25:50 pm by HogInGermany
Quote from: TulsaHawg on October 10, 2005, 09:11:59 am
Quote from: WilsonHog on October 09, 2005, 08:36:23 pm

How about if I said, "Hey, if you don't contribute $500 a year to the Razorback Foundation, you're not loyal to the program." Or, "If you don't have season tickets, you're not loyal to the program."

Here's an addtional point Wilson.

It seems that no matter what part of the program you want to bring up, people want to bash and degrade it.

Look at all the negative comments toward John White, JFB, HDN, almost ALL of the assistants, the playcalling, the QB, The Grim Reaper of Arkansas Football, Paul Eels, Rick, Chuck, Randy, Keith, Quinn, the band, the band director, too many commercials on the Pig Screen, etc, etc, etc....

I suppose that we might simply chalk it up to a product of the human condition, but my gosh there is a tremendous amount of bitching by people who are supposedly "fans"!

I agree that alot of the negativity goes too far. But Keith Jackson is terrible. If we were 5-0 right now, I would still say he has to go. Rick and Chuck are ridiculous as well, but are good at what they do.

artyhog

Quote from: Swino on October 10, 2005, 02:30:11 pm
Me neither, but I see a lot of so called fans on this board supporting Houston still. Rooting for Houston is rooting for more losing and being a subpar program. How can any fan root for that??

I want him to succeed.  By him succeeding, the Hogs will succeed.  As long as he IS the coach I will hope he succeeds.

If he is not the coach next year, then I will want that coach to succeed.

TOM "tbw1"

My problem is that I feel that we have gone as high as we will under Coach Nutt.  I think we can perform on a much higher level.  For instance, (for those as old as I) our basketball program was nonexistent under Duddy Waller, we went to another level with Lanny van Eman, another level with Eddie Sutton and finally to the pinnacle with Nolan Richardson.  Now we are having to start over with Stan Heath.

The same is true in football.  We have to find someone who can carry us to the next level like Coach Broyles in the 60s after the times of Bowden Wyatt and Jack Mitchell. 

It is not wrong to want to be better.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

HogInMemphis

I think it's interesting that so many hog fans hang on to season tix and keep up with annual RF donations out of simple tradition. Really no other basis for most hardcore Hog fans to continue to give that kind of financial devotion to the Hog football program, especially for 90% of the last 16 seasons (since and including the '90 season).

What else would you continue to give that kind of $ to that has had this level of lack of success over the last 16 years? How many good years in the last 16? Let's count them:

1995 (but lost our last 3 games)
1998 (but lost 3 of the last 4 games, including bowl game)
1999 (if you call 4-4 in SEC a good year)

Some of you may want to consider any or all of the following years as good - '01, '02, '03 - but any year where Hogs lost their last 2 or 3 games in a row, and/or finished 4-4 or worse in SEC play and/or were bent over in SECCG and/or in a bowl game by a lesser team and/or is not ranked in top 25 at season's end is not to be considered a good or successful season.

So, 3 seasons in last 16 have been "good". And you could make a case that the '95 season was not a "good" one, "average" maybe, but not "good". 

Given the above, why would one keep hoping, over a 16 year period,  that the Hogs are suddenly going to blossom into a team that does not lose most of their conference games at home, that does better than 3-5 or 4-4 in conference play on average, that wins bowl games, that does not get blown away by at least 1 team per year, that gets at least 1 or 2 upset wins every year, and that does not lose HOME games to the KY's and Vandy's of the college football world?

Continuing to throw thousands of dollars to the Hogs annually (and it's into 4 figures for most of you who have at least 2 season tickets + RF donation + cost of attending a few games or more per year) over a 5 or 6 yr. period is one thing, but to continue to do it over a 15 or 20 year period in which the team never improves seems a bit wasteful. I'm sure you could do a lot of other things with that money that would give you more pleasure, more enjoyment and more satisfaction, not to mention being more practical and sensible - buy yourself a new sofa, take a trip, spruce up the outside of your home, etc.

Face it, the Hogs are never going to be more than they've been over the last 16 years if they stay in the SEC. If you can be okay with 6-5 and 7-4 as "great" seasons, then guess you're where you want to be already. But if you are holding out hope that the Hogs will have 8-3 and 9-2 seasons every 3 or 4 years, then you're going to spend the rest of your life being disappointed.  The Hogs will go 8-3 or 9-2 while in SEC maybe 2 or 3 times over the next 30 years, MAYBE.

I'm very happy dropping my season tix after the '02 season. Looking back on it, that was perfect timing as the Hogs have trended straight down since then. And I can always jump back on the bandwagon with good seats since the RF goes by lifetime giving in doleing out season tickets.

Have a good day.

TulsaHawg

Quote from: HogInMemphis on October 12, 2005, 10:45:14 am
I think it's interesting that so many hog fans hang on to season tix and keep up with annual RF donations out of simple tradition. Really no other basis for most hardcore Hog fans to continue to give that kind of financial devotion to the Hog football program, especially for 90% of the last 16 seasons (since and including the '90 season).

What else would you continue to give that kind of $ to that has had this level of lack of success over the last 16 years? How many good years in the last 16? Let's count them:

Some of you may want to consider any or all of the following years as good - '01, '02, '03 - but any year where Hogs lost their last 2 or 3 games in a row, and/or finished 4-4 or worse in SEC play and/or were bent over in SECCG and/or in a bowl game by a lesser team and/or is not ranked in top 25 at season's end is not to be considered a good or successful season.

So, 3 seasons in last 16 have been "good". And you could make a case that the '95 season was not a "good" one, "average" maybe, but not "good".

Given the above, why would one keep hoping, over a 16 year period, that the Hogs are suddenly going to blossom into a team that does not lose most of their conference games at home, that does better than 3-5 or 4-4 in conference play on average, that wins bowl games, that does not get blown away by at least 1 team per year, that gets at least 1 or 2 upset wins every year, and that does not lose HOME games to the KY's and Vandy's of the college football world?

Continuing to throw thousands of dollars to the Hogs annually (and it's into 4 figures for most of you who have at least 2 season tickets + RF donation + cost of attending a few games or more per year) over a 5 or 6 yr. period is one thing, but to continue to do it over a 15 or 20 year period in which the team never improves seems a bit wasteful. I'm sure you could do a lot of other things with that money that would give you more pleasure, more enjoyment and more satisfaction, not to mention being more practical and sensible - buy yourself a new sofa, take a trip, spruce up the outside of your home, etc.

Face it, the Hogs are never going to be more than they've been over the last 16 years if they stay in the SEC. If you can be okay with 6-5 and 7-4 as "great" seasons, then guess you're where you want to be already. But if you are holding out hope that the Hogs will have 8-3 and 9-2 seasons every 3 or 4 years, then you're going to spend the rest of your life being disappointed. The Hogs will go 8-3 or 9-2 while in SEC maybe 2 or 3 times over the next 30 years, MAYBE.

I'm very happy dropping my season tix after the '02 season. Looking back on it, that was perfect timing as the Hogs have trended straight down since then. And I can always jump back on the bandwagon with good seats since the RF goes by lifetime giving in doleing out season tickets.

Have a good day.

Hey HIM, you might want to check with the ticket office about that part about picking up where you left off.

Occording to the ticket office, once you drop out, you have to start over again.

hogken

38 home victories=most in SEC in last 7 years
7 all america selections
6 bowls =most in west
3 nine win seasons
17-1 in little rock
one fist is iron the other is steel,if the right one dont get you,the left one will!

hogken

one fist is iron the other is steel,if the right one dont get you,the left one will!

PintailKiller

Quote from: hogken on October 12, 2005, 08:52:34 pm
7 all america selections
6 bowls =most in west
3 nine win seasons
17-1 in little rock

9 wins with 4 or more losses is not impressive - thats happened 2 times for nutt.  The 02-03 & 03-04 seasons were a combined 18-9 is .666 ball.  That is worst than nutts overall winning percentage.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

Cajun Hog

Quote from: PintailKiller on October 12, 2005, 09:03:01 pm
Quote from: hogken on October 12, 2005, 08:52:34 pm
7 all america selections
6 bowls =most in west
3 nine win seasons
17-1 in little rock

9 wins with 4 or more losses is not impressive - thats happened 2 times for nutt. The 02-03 & 03-04 seasons were a combined 18-9 is .666 ball. That is worst than nutts overall winning percentage.

Did you see how bad it was before Nutt?  If someone could give some names of coaches who really would want this job, I would listen and might be on board.

PintailKiller

I didn't say that nutt didn't take the Hogs out of the cellar.  He took them to a new height, but for the Hogs to go further, they need new direction.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

hogken

Cajun Hog

Quote from: PintailKiller on October 12, 2005, 09:08:38 pm
I didn't say that nutt didn't take the Hogs out of the cellar. He took them to a new height, but for the Hogs to go further, they need new direction.

PK I agree but who can we REALLY get, to replace HDN?

hogken

why would anyone want to come to Arkansas? look at us all!

PintailKiller

Yes Holtz, Hatfield, Ford, and Nutt until he started talking about needing a 2 year window.  I never thought Crowe was the answer and was mad about his hiring, though I still sent to games.

hogken

Nutt ,I think has done as much as any of those? Still miss Hattie,a winner!

PintailKiller

I agreee, he has.  I don't think Nutt can get us to being a year in year out top 20 team though.

hogken

I disagree, He will! I still say over all weve done more with less talent with the exception of a few(Matt etc.)

Oklahawg

The original question asks for us to consider the parameters for supporting the program. That is bigger than wins/losses, TV appearances, commercials on the big screen and HDN's knee replacement surgery.

I will support the program in totality--100 percent--as long as the players do not embarass me off the field. On the field problems are not the problem of the players, generally, but the coaches hired to coach them. When Mark Pierce had off-the-field problems and was still on the team/field it bothered me and my support for HDN was not what it was after Pierce was shown the door. 2003 pisses me off not because of recruiting or coaching or whatever. What bothered me was the large number of problems that were brought to the game/practice field--Shawn and Peters not going to class with no repercussions, Pierce being an arsehole, team dissent over the QB "controversy", Batman being out of control. The wins/losses in 2003 was a minor issue.

I guess I've been a Razorback fan too long. The first game I remember is the 1969 Texas game. It kinda slumped after that, eh?

I hated Holtz as a coach. Ditto Sutton. Respected them but didn't like them. I was glad when they left. It didn't keep me from being a ravenous fan.

I also have a disturbing acceptance of the fact that my own annual contributions to the RF and University would barely cover rent in one of Lindsey's tinderbox apartment complexes. For one month. The power brokers will have a very different view of this than the average fan. Those folks, by and large, aren't tailgating, aren't whooping it up at a bar when the game is out-of-town and on TV, they aren't sitting on metal bleachers with the backside of some 300-pound fellow fan chafing against your backside on a 100-degree September night.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

HogInMemphis

Quote from: TulsaHawg on October 12, 2005, 08:05:57 pm

Given the above, why would one keep hoping, over a 16 year period, that the Hogs are suddenly going to blossom into a team that does not lose most of their conference games at home, that does better than 3-5 or 4-4 in conference play on average, that wins bowl games, that does not get blown away by at least 1 team per year, that gets at least 1 or 2 upset wins every year, and that does not lose HOME games to the KY's and Vandy's of the college football world?

Face it, the Hogs are never going to be more than they've been over the last 16 years if they stay in the SEC. If you can be okay with 6-5 and 7-4 as "great" seasons, then guess you're where you want to be already. But if you are holding out hope that the Hogs will have 8-3 and 9-2 seasons every 3 or 4 years, then you're going to spend the rest of your life being disappointed. The Hogs will go 8-3 or 9-2 while in SEC maybe 2 or 3 times over the next 30 years, MAYBE.

Have a good day.

Hey HIM, you might want to check with the ticket office about that part about picking up where you left off.

Occording to the ticket office, once you drop out, you have to start over again.

You might want to check with the Razorback Foundation so you will be aware of the facts. They are the entity that counts the money. The ticket office is full of clerks divvying up tickets. And don't make up your own interpretation of what I said. I did NOT say that you get your exact same seats back when you re-start your RF donation and season ticket subscription. I said you get tickets based on lifetime giving to the RF. Here is one example of the way it works:

Say I gave $1,000 per year to RF for 10 years and had 4 season tix to WMS and RRS games. Assume another ticket buyer gave $250 for the same 10 years to the RF and had 4 season tickets. My tickets will have been in much better location for that 10 years in both stadiums due to my giving 4 times per year what the other guy gave.

Further assume that I stop giving to the RF and stop buying season tickets for 5 years and the other fan continues with his $250 annual donation to the RF and buying his 4 season tickets. In year 16, I decide to resume my $1,000 and buy 4 season tickets again. Based on lifetime giving, I've now given $11,000 to the RF in 16 years while the other fan, who never stopped his annual RF donations over 16 straight years, has given a total of $4,000 to the RF.  In year 16, when I resume my annual $1,000 donation to the RF, my 4 season tickets will be in a better location than the fan who never stopped giving to the RF because I've given $7,000 more to the RF over the 16 years.

Comprende?

HogInMemphis

Quote from: ImHogginIt on October 13, 2005, 11:09:05 am
Quote from: HogInMemphis on October 13, 2005, 10:39:42 am
Quote from: TulsaHawg on October 12, 2005, 08:05:57 pm

Have a good day.

You might want to check with the Razorback Foundation so you will be aware of the facts. They are the entity that counts the money. The ticket office is full of clerks divvying up tickets. And don't make up your own interpretation of what I said. I did NOT say that you get your exact same seats back when you re-start your RF donation and season ticket subscription. I said you get tickets based on lifetime giving to the RF. Here is one example of the way it works:

Say I gave $1,000 per year to RF for 10 years and had 4 season tix to WMS and RRS games. Assume another ticket buyer gave $250 for the same 10 years to the RF and had 4 season tickets. My tickets will have been in much better location for that 10 years in both stadiums due to my giving 4 times per year what the other guy gave.

Further assume that I stop giving to the RF and stop buying season tickets for 5 years and the other fan continues with his $250 annual donation to the RF and buying his 4 season tickets. In year 16, I decide to resume my $1,000 and buy 4 season tickets again. Based on lifetime giving, I've now given $11,000 to the RF in 16 years while the other fan, who never stopped his annual RF donations over 16 straight years, has given a total of $4,000 to the RF.  In year 16, when I resume my annual $1,000 donation to the RF, my 4 season tickets will be in a better location than the fan who never stopped giving to the RF because I've given $7,000 more to the RF over the 16 years.

Comprende?

HIM is correct except that once I have seats in a certain location I can't be bumped as long as I give the minimum donation level for that seat. No matter how much he donates he won't bump me from that seat.

That's about half true. You can be bumped from your seats and they'll be given to me if I have donated more than you in total all time giving.  But, you'll be put in seats that are better than the ones you'd be bumped from.