Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Big 12 boards/fans can't grasp "SEC!! SEC!! SEC!!" chants

Started by taintlint, January 08, 2008, 07:43:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hornkiller

Quote from: chiefsfan on January 09, 2008, 12:59:30 am

the only thing LSU gets out of winning yesterday is national respect and a trophy;  The conference splits all their winnings evenly

When LSU wins...we all win

Should I be waiting by the mailbox for the check? The money may be nice but it doesn't change the fact that Tony Temple is still running loose around the Cotton Bowl. Sorry, can't say LSU winning the title means anything to the Hogs but a nice asterik on HDN's resume.

Hollywood_HOGan45

the big 12 hates the SEC so badly because they all know the SEC is better.

Hornkiller

January 09, 2008, 10:51:49 am #52 Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 10:59:09 am by Hornkiller
The other conferences don't understand it because they're glory hogs (forgive the pun) and most rivalries run deep.

tOSU will never root for Michigan to win, Miami won't for Florida State, Cal won't for USC, Missouri won't for Kansas. If anything the 2005 Texas NC was a brutal bitter pill for OU. Not only is their rival going around with the NC but they beat the team that throttled them the year before. Think Texas wanted to share that victory in any form or fashion with OU, ATM, Baylor or anyone else. Heck No!!! That was for Texas and Texas alone.

So no you won't every hear "Pac-10" or "Big XII" Now of course I understand why it happened this year with every talking head on ESPN and web wanting to know how SC would match up and even one guy wanting to punt Georgia out and give West Virginia a shot. (Stanford and Pitt beat you guys, thanks for playing and pick up your Rice O Rony on the way out of the studio)

It's not a personal favorite of mine but as long as the talking heads and writers are consistently trying to find the conference that can challenge the SEC your going to hear it. I would say this, if you're going to chant "SEC" during a win then you better muster it up when things aren't so good. Other conferences are wondering why they didn't hear it at this year's Capitol One or Cotton Bowl. Especially since Florida was supposed to wipe the turf with Michigan. I mean after all they are from the same slow and soft conference as Ohio State. It sucks but after beating the eventual national champion Arkansas should have given Missouri a better game. And after WV laid the wood to OU the interm coach excuse is out the window.

When Arkansas gets to the title game, forgive me for chanting Ark-an-saw, not SEC. Personally LSU and Florida's titles mean nothing to me and call me greedy, but I don't like sharing glory.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: NWASooner on January 09, 2008, 08:09:36 am
Maybe next year if you lose to say, Alabama at home, you should start chanting "SEC! SEC! SEC!" after the game.

Why are SEC fans the only ones who care about conference rankings?

why do little 12 fans care so much about what the SEC does?

DickSonstreetDFW

Quote from: oldbooniehog on January 08, 2008, 10:32:57 pm
Here's my very honest take.

If you are a Hog fan, and you are chanting "SEC! SEC! SEC!" and it's not Arkansas that's won the game, then I'd say you have a serious inferiority complex, and are trying to compensate for losing.

As far as I'm concerned, all SEC teams are the enemy, all the time.

That's how I saw the SWC from the time I was about five or six years old.....Any team that wasn't Arkansas was the enemy, all the time.

I find all this "conference pride" stuff mostly a way for the fans of the teams who lost to still feel some sort of pride.

Hey, our team lost! Our team failed to achieve. But you know what? We can all still root for the teams that won when our team lost! (Yeah, Arkansas did beat LSU this regular season...how many times in the last five years????)

It stinks to me.

If you every chant "SEC! SEC! SEC!" when it's not the Hogs that have won, then I say you should be backhanded, immediately.

I wish the other teams in the SEC nothing but lousy recruiting classes and losses.

obh

I agree.  I hate LSU with vigor.

LSU winning the NC does nothing for us.  It DOES mean we have a two-time BCS national title winner competing with us for resources in the SEC West every year.

I root for some SEC teams out of conference, but I don't understand the blind loyalty to the conference as a whole.

drivetimeporks

i agree guys... i know that OU and Nebraska were definatley putting academics first back in the 80's!

Hornkiller

Quote from: drivetimeporks on January 09, 2008, 11:19:02 am
i agree guys... i know that OU and Nebraska were definatley putting academics first back in the 80's!

Because the N stands for knowledge

TexHog188

Conference pride does matter.  As the SEC status grows, the best, fastest, strongest players want to play in it.  If the TV report I heard is correct, the SEC has more active NFL players that any other conference.  That's not by accident.  When you have a good brand, you advertise and take advantage of it.  Recruits want to play in the SEC, whether it's at UofA or another school.  Now that we have a modern offensive philosophy, hopefully we move up in the pecking order for quality SEC recruits and get some depth.  SEC SEC SEC....
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

rihog

America's Best Colleges 2008
(First Tier- Top 125 in US)
19. Vanderbilt
44. UT-Austin
49. Florida
59. Georgia
62. Texas A&M
75. Baylor
79. Colorado
85. Kansas
91. Alabama
91. Nebraska
96. Tennessee
108. Oklahoma
112. South Carolina
122. Kentucky
124. Arkansas
124. Kansas State

Hmmmm SEC has 8 schools in the top 125 and the Big 12 has 8.....
Our biggest strength is that we don't have any weaknesses;
Our biggest weakness is that we don't have any strengths. -J. Frank Broyles

rihog

Whoops forgot to include Auburn @ 96 SEC ahead 9-8 in top 125.

rihog

Crud Iowa State @ 85 ties the Big 12 with the SEC with 9 Univiersities in the Top Tier according to USNews & World Report.

wholehog92

Quote from: RhodeHog on January 08, 2008, 10:36:50 pm
I always root for our conference when they are playing someone from a different conference.  It just makes sense to me because when our conference wins it makes the conference look stronger, thus helping all of our overall perception from the outside world.

That is my take as well.  LSU is on our schedule next year, whether they are NCs or not.  I would rather beat the defending NC than the runner up.  Ask Auburn about whether it is good for the fans to tout the strength of our conference or not.  I used to root against all of our conference opponents until that travesty happened.  That caused me to rethink my position.  Before the fans started pointing it out vocally, commentators ignored facts and an SEC champ was viewed very similarly to any other conference champion.  Not so anymore.  This helps us when BP gets us to that level.  Just my .02.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

parrishw

Quote from: RhodeHog on January 08, 2008, 10:36:50 pm
I always root for our conference when they are playing someone from a different conference.  It just makes sense to me because when our conference wins it makes the conference look stronger, thus helping all of our overall perception from the outside world.

This sums it up

and something my old Grandad used to say..........

"Save your Conferate Money Boys the South's gonna rise again"

The people of the 'Old South', both black and white, have been picked on for many years as uneducated, inbred fools. While many years ago that may have been more true than we would like to admit I suggest you look at Emory University, Grambling, Georgia Tech..................etc........etc...........

I have been engaged in the recruiting of technical people and executive management people for years and corporate america knows the schools of the SEC as sources of top shelf, well prepared and quailified people. 

The people of the states and schools of the SEC have a common interest and a share in the success of the conference as a whole. We are proud of the success of the students and athletes both from a competition standpoint and an academic standpoint.

A case in point.
I felt personally embarrassed by the SEC teams that had large numbers of players academically ineligible for post season play, while at the same time very proud of the Hog's and the other SEC teams that had a very high percentage of eligibility.

Let 'em talk. Talk is cheap and another of Grand Dad's old sayings is also appropriate.

"It ain't braggin if ya done it"

Go Hogs ........Go SEC

Jimmy

Those cold Big 12 prairie winters affect one's judgement. 

budcampbellfan

The South has always had a strong regional identity.  The Big 12 area has no such thing.  We are Southerners.
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

NWASooner

Maybe Missouri should have chanted "Big 12!  Big 12!  Big 12!" after the Cotton Bowl.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: NWASooner on January 09, 2008, 12:10:42 pm
Maybe Missouri should have chanted "Big 12!  Big 12!  Big 12!" after the Cotton Bowl.

It wouldn't have hurt my feelings.  In fact,  it would have spurred my competitive nature all the more.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

TexHog188

Missouri has no tradition of winning so they didn't think to do that.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

hawgslop00

Quote from: oldbooniehog on January 08, 2008, 10:32:57 pm
Here's my very honest take.

If you are a Hog fan, and you are chanting "SEC! SEC! SEC!" and it's not Arkansas that's won the game, then I'd say you have a serious inferiority complex, and are trying to compensate for losing.

As far as I'm concerned, all SEC teams are the enemy, all the time.

That's how I saw the SWC from the time I was about five or six years old.....Any team that wasn't Arkansas was the enemy, all the time.

I find all this "conference pride" stuff mostly a way for the fans of the teams who lost to still feel some sort of pride.

Hey, our team lost! Our team failed to achieve. But you know what? We can all still root for the teams that won when our team lost! (Yeah, Arkansas did beat LSU this regular season...how many times in the last five years????)

It stinks to me.

If you every chant "SEC! SEC! SEC!" when it's not the Hogs that have won, then I say you should be backhanded, immediately.

I wish the other teams in the SEC nothing but lousy recruiting classes and losses.

obh

+1 OBH.  How stupid did we look in Dallas after chanting SEC SEC SEC and then getting it handed to us.  I realize that the SEC is the best conference in the nation.  But it made my blood boil having to sit back and watch LSU win the NC.  We don't have to chant it for people to know who they are dealing with, and I don't think we need to be chanting it at all.  We didn't do anything to make the SEC look good this year.

NWASooner

QuoteMissouri has no tradition of winning so they didn't think to do that.

Neither does Arkansas so why are the fans from Arkansas bragging about their conference?

kirk

Quote from: semohawg on January 09, 2008, 04:06:52 am
if i remember correctly, when the hogs won the ncaa's in 1994, our players also did the sec chant.

it's a matter of pride--no harm in it at all.

we are in the greatest sports conference period, we and all members of the sec should be proud.

I remember reading in either the paper or SI that during the semi-final games as Arkansas was leaving they met the Florida team in the tunnel and the Gators began chanting SEC as a way of respect and honor that 2 teams from the conference made it to the final four. I see nothing wrong with the chant. I felt nearly as glad for LSU winning as I would have if Arkansas had won. The SEC is the best and there is nothing wrong with rubbing eveyone else's face in it.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: NWASooner on January 09, 2008, 12:22:16 pm
Neither does Arkansas so why are the fans from Arkansas bragging about their conference?

We've got plenty of tradition, troll,  and it's on the verge of being reawakened.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

longhornation

The sec would suck without the talent of TEXAS Football.  Just look at Lsu and Georgia.  It looks funny when a mid tier program like arky jumps on the band wagon of a winning team from their conference.  The team is suppose to be your rival. Its called taking the easy way out each and every year.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: longhornation on January 09, 2008, 12:38:23 pm
The sec would suck without the talent of TEXAS Football.  Just look at Lsu and Georgia.  It looks funny when a mid tier program like arky jumps on the band wagon of a winning team from their conference.  The team is suppose to be your rival. Its called taking the easy way out each and every year.

It's called brotherhood, troll.

The SEC has it,  others don't.

longhornation

Quote from: Head Hawg on January 09, 2008, 12:40:55 pm
Plain Dumb!  I guess no kids come from Louisiana, Mississippi, Georgia or Florida! Last time I check Florida had more D-1 talent than Texas and will again this year.

Link it up fool. Dont just say it with out proof.

lateshow

Quote from: budcampbellfan on January 09, 2008, 12:10:02 pm
The South has always had a strong regional identity.  The Big 12 area has no such thing.  We are Southerners.

Exactly! Its called Southern pride! The rest of the country doesn't understand this and can't identify with it. I've never met someone from Michigan or New York boast about being "a Northerner and Damn proud of it."

longhornation

wholehog92

Hey troll, I see you came over to a real school's board to learn something.  We were midlevel this year, but we have and are still taking steps to remedy that.  Does the name Tally ring a bell to you?  Perhaps you will remember it when you're dehorned the next couple of years.  Enjoy watching us play in Jerry Jones new pad and taking recruits from you while we are there.  This is the best of all worlds for us.  We play in the recruit rich Southeast and texass.  We let our recruits know "Come to Arkansas and play the best competition in the sports world, play in the new cowboy stadium to make a short trip for your family, win your conf championship and play for a NC, and most of all you never have to wear burnt orange.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

toozakpig

If I am not mistaken, each school in the conference received over ten million dollares last year based on the bowl selections of SEC football teams. I sure that this also included basketball and other sports. Football is the bread winner in the conference. We are like a family, we beat on each other and cuss each other, howver let someone out of the family do it. Then there is a butt whooping that is going to take place. The Little twelve is just like the old SWC. You have two teams on top every year and once a year another team jumps in.
Competion is what makes the SEC. You earn the right to play in bowl games or the NC. Eveyone that is in the SEC knows that fact. It just makes me sick that we beat LSU and if we had BP this year, that would have been Arkansas instead of LSU. But Arkansas proved the point of if you do not bring your "A" game every week. Then you can be beat. One can not make that statement concerning the other conferences.

wholehog92

Quote from: longhornation on January 09, 2008, 12:48:35 pm
last time i checked BIG 12 has it share of MNC

That's good that you've already gotten your share.  The SEC plans on taking more than their "share."  As long as the rest of the country keeps ignoring the send your best edict sent out from the SEC we will continue to take your share, pac 10s share, and big tens share.  Arkansas was in the SEC championship game last year with a sorry coach, we have a good coach this year.  We don't have the talent of that team, but we have a staff built to recruit.  We'll be good enough to win it by the time we get through with everyone elses share.

longhornation

"Hey troll, I see you came over to a real school's board to learn something.  We were midlevel this year, but we have and are still taking steps to remedy that. "

Just ask yourself how many time you have said this.

longhornation

Quote from: Head Hawg on January 09, 2008, 12:57:47 pm
Percent of NFL players by conference in '05
SEC states -- 31.66%
ACC states -- 26.95%
Big East states - 24.35%
Big 10 states -- 20.46%
Big 12 states -- 17.04%
Pac 10 states -- 16.33%

http://georgiasports.blogspot.com/2006/07/recruiting-top-states-for-producing.html

D-1 anyone anyone

wholehog92

January 09, 2008, 01:03:13 pm #82 Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 01:06:19 pm by wholehog92
Quote from: longhornation on January 09, 2008, 12:58:30 pm
"Hey troll, I see you came over to a real school's board to learn something.  We were midlevel this year, but we have and are still taking steps to remedy that. "

Just ask yourself how many time you have said this.

Once I'm pretty sure but my post history is there for you to peruse.

edit:  Since you couldn't help being born in texass, I'll help you out.  We have fired a preacher masquerading as a coach, and hired a recruiting, qb developing, offensive mastermind.  We've sent our out of date AD to mothballs, and our meddling chancelor is "stepping down" today.  I can't recall a more transitional period in Razorback athletics.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: NWASooner on January 09, 2008, 12:22:16 pm

a recent poll came out and Arkansas was the 18th best all time college football program.

Hogginitall

Quote from: Head Hawg on January 09, 2008, 01:05:17 pm
You should have seen the faces of the Texas fans in Austin 03' (38-28) When the whole Arkansas section started chanting SEC SEC SEC! 

What about the Cotton Bowl in '99 when Arkansas kicked the $hit out of the Whorns, 27-6?  What were their faces like then?

julie

If Texas has all of this talent maybe Texas should be asking itself where it's all going and why they're not playing in the NC game.  It seems like there must be a stampede of football players migrating out of your state on a daily basis.  And it was LSU, the NC, who jumped on the bandwagon and gave props to their conference after their win.  For those who can't understand this, you fail to realize that one's own success is dependent upon those who surround them. 

taintlint

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on January 09, 2008, 01:05:05 pm
a recent poll came out and Arkansas was the 18th best all time college football program.

We have the #18 "Most Valuable Football Program" according to a Forbes financial study. Our value, while #18 in the nation, is still only 8th best in the SEC.
http://www.forbes.com/2007/11/20/notre-dame-fooball-biz-sports-cx_ps_1120collegeball_slide_2.html?thisSpeed=15000

Our Football program's "All Time Ranking" is #26 according to :
http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/sec/arkansas/rankings.php

longhornation

Doesn't the sec consider arky an outsider? Just remember yall will get em next year. At least thats what we keep hearing every year.  I may be wrong but your new coach hired staff in order to recruit TEXAS!!

DrSwineESQ

Quote from: William von Hawgskett on January 08, 2008, 11:47:12 pm
I live in Waco, Texas so I normally get alot of smack talk and normally laugh and blow it off. However, today it seems like all of the fans from the other conferences were extremely mad/upset about the SEC. Even at the gym I was wearing my hog hat and got into a conversation with a couple of guys about the UT game next year. It ended with one of them  saying ,"Yall will suck next year like yall always have. We're going to beat yall by at least 40, and it'll show how overrated the SEC is."  I know that LSU is famous for "bad fans", but my experience with this group of obnoxious Texas fans took the cake for me. Sorry that this isn't very relevant, just made me incredibly frustrated.

I was in the Razorback band during the Hog's last few seasons in the SWC.  Shortly after we announced we were leaving, I have vivid memories of Texas fans chanting "SWC We're Pork Free" at the football game in Austin in 1990.   One on one, SWC fans were smug and angry, there was a palpable resentment during those days, and it existed among all the Texas schools.  Our departure was a like a divorce.  Arkansas left the burnt orange trollop and her ugly sisters, and began courting a bunch of pretty, wealthy southern belles.  As a result, the steer-loving concubine the rest of the SWC family lost their home--they were split up and forced to prostitute themselves to Big 8 and any other conference that would take them in.  Your story just proves that the Texas fans (like the dolts at the gym) who remember their conference crumbling around them when we left are still bitter. 

julie

Quote from: longhornation on January 09, 2008, 01:12:06 pm
  I may be wrong but your new coach hired staff in order to recruit TEXAS!!

"Cause it's so easy to do....

slowride

I have gotten to where I almost care more about the SEC than the hogs.  In other conferences, they have rivalries with the other schools.  We(the hogs) don't really have rivalries, just other schools we can cheer for when we fall short.  I wish they made a jersey just for the SEC.  It could say SEC on the front in large letters with the school logos on the back.  This is why I am so pumped up about LSU winning the nat. championship.  It's almost as good as if the hogs won it.

longhornation

Quote from: slowride on January 09, 2008, 01:14:20 pm
I have gotten to where I almost care more about the SEC than the hogs.  In other conferences, they have rivalries with the other schools.  We(the hogs) don't really have rivalries, just other schools we can cheer for when we fall short.  I wish they made a jersey just for the SEC.  It could say SEC on the front in large letters with the school logos on the back.  This is why I am so pumped up about LSU winning the nat. championship.  It's almost as good as if the hogs won it.

This guy said what no one here can say.  Im guessing everyone else is in denial or they have to lie to themselves in order to get just satisfaction.  Well done poster, you speak for those who cant

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: taintlint on January 09, 2008, 01:11:44 pm
We have the #18 "Most Valuable Football Program" according to a Forbes financial study. Our value, while #18 in the nation, is still only 8th best in the SEC.
http://www.forbes.com/2007/11/20/notre-dame-fooball-biz-sports-cx_ps_1120collegeball_slide_2.html?thisSpeed=15000

Our Football program's "All Time Ranking" is #26 according to :
http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/sec/arkansas/rankings.php

i saw a poll not too long ago that listed us at 18. Cannot remember where i saw it.

some of these little 12 fans want to make it out like arkansas never was anything and will never be anything.
fact is Arkansas was one of the best programs in the country some time ago and they do have a rich football tradition. Lately it hasnt been that way but hopefully BP will get the program in the top ten in the future.

taintlint

January 09, 2008, 01:28:32 pm #93 Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 01:51:19 pm by taintlint
I live in Austin. Texas fans will not hear, comprehend, and digest one single sentence from your mouth unless you preface that sentence with a 3 min thesis on why Vince Young is the greatest player of all time.

They have incredibly old facilities. Their football stadium is undergoing a major renovation but the average Texas fan see's their stadium as the crown jewel of the world, with or with out, the long overdue renovation. They also feel that their "Godzillatron" is the first ever large display screen in the history of sports and the last too.

Most Texas fans live in a bubble, a Texas vacuum of sorts. They know little to nothing of the outside sports world. They believe their facilities are the best (They honestly do consider the old dilapidated crap to be the bar by which others measure themselves) and Longhorn football to be the true measuring stick for success.

They are kings of the Alamo and Holiday Bowl but want you to believe they are the rightful owners of non stop National Championships. They have access to unending talent yet still can not figure out a way to win the Big 12. Yes, the Big 12.

Oh, and their lovefest also stretches beyond imagination to Major Applewhite. Major is the greatest OC EVER.

Everything about the SEC flies in the face of what little they know about football. They can not understand how there can be a team, teams, or conference that is not Orange or named Texas. They can not comprehend the revenue the SEC brings or the TV coverage. They can not comprehend a level of competition that is so high that you can not help but respect a conference foe in OOC play. It is all foreign to them and I imagine it always will be.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Grunt on January 08, 2008, 11:15:08 pm
Dude, you just don't get it. This ain't the SWC.

And how is that "SEC prestige" thing working out for us in the polls?

How many times has Arkansas finished the season ranked in the Top Ten since joining the SEC?  ZERO.

How many times have we finished ranked in the Top 25 since joining?  Three?

I was a Hog fan for 24 years during the SWC days, and I've been a fan for all 16 of the SEC years.  I seem to recall starting most years ranked in the Top Ten when we were in the Southwest Conference, and ending up there something like 13 or 14 times over a 30 year period beginning in 1959.

Since joining the SEC, the universally renowned superpower of college football...a conference of such acclaim and indescribable dominance that I expect an invitation to join NATO is probably forthcoming...I don't think we have finished a single season ranked higher than 15th.  Finishing ranked 15th or lower from 1959-1989 was considered a disappointing season for SWC-era Razorback fans like myself.

I guess I'll have to agree to disagree with the notion that being a member of the SEC somehow elevates our national standing.  What REALLY makes pollsters and fans around the nation confer their respect is WINNING, no matter the conference affiliation. 

I don't get anything whatsoever from living vicariously through the successes of LSU, or Florida, or Tennessee, or Georgia.  It makes me feel about as successful as it would if my next door neighbor beat the hell out of me, then went down to the local honkytonk and kicked a couple of guys' butts down there.  So what?  Is that supposed to make me feel like bragging that "he kicked my butt, too!  I've been whupped by the best.  WOOO HOOOO!!!!"

I understand why fans around the country think the SEC, SEC, SEC chant is bizarre.  I feel the same way when Hog fans around me start doing it.  It's time we stop being groupies of the neighborhood bully...and start kicking some butts of our own.

longhornation

Quote from: taintlint on January 09, 2008, 01:28:32 pm
I live in Austin. Texas fans will not hear, comprehend, and digest one single sentence from your mouth unless you preface that sentence with a 3 min thesis on why Vince Young is the greatest player of all time.

They have incredibly old facilities. Their football stadium is undergoing a major renovation but the average Texas fan see's their stadium as the crown jewel of the world, with or with out, the long overdue renovation. They also feel that their "Godzillatron" is the first ever large display screen in the history of sports and the last too.

Most Texas fans live in a bubble, a Texas vacuum of sorts. They know little to nothing of the outside sports world. They believe their facilities are the best (They honestly do consider the old dilapidated crap to be the bar by which others measure themselves) and Longhorn football to be the true measuring stick for success.

They are kings Alamo and Holiday Bowl but want you to believe they are the rightful owners of non stop National Championships. They have access to unending talent yet still can not figure out a way to win the Big 12. Yes, the Big 12.

Oh, and their lovefest also stretches beyond imagination to Major Applewhite. Major is the greatest OC EVER. I forgot to add that.

That mate jones was one heck of a receiver

taintlint

Quote from: longhornation on January 09, 2008, 01:33:43 pm
That mate jones was one heck of a receiver

I said nothing of Matt Jones.

Is that the best you can do?

julie

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 09, 2008, 01:33:03 pm

How many times has Arkansas finished the season ranked in the Top Ten since joining the SEC?  ZERO.

I was a Hog fan for 24 years during the SWC days, and I've been a fan for all 16 of the SEC years.  I seem to recall starting most years ranked in the Top Ten when we were in the Southwest Conference, and ending up there something like 13 or 14 times over a 30 year period beginning in 1959.

Since joining the SEC, the universally renowned superpower of college football...a conference of such acclaim and indescribable dominance that I expect an invitation to join NATO is probably forthcoming...I don't think we have finished a single season ranked higher than 15th.  Finishing ranked 15th or lower from 1959-1989 was considered a disappointing season for SWC-era Razorback fans like myself.

I guess I'll have to agree to disagree with the notion that being a member of the SEC somehow elevates our national standing.  What REALLY makes pollsters and fans around the nation confer their respect is WINNING, no matter the conference affiliation. 

I don't get anything whatsoever from living vicariously through the successes of LSU, or Florida, or Tennessee, or Georgia.  It makes me feel about as successful as it would if my next door neighbor beat the hell out of me, then went down to the local honkytonk and kicked a couple of guys' butts down there.  So what?  Is that supposed to make me feel like bragging that "he kicked my butt, too!  I've been whupped by the best.  WOOO HOOOO!!!!"

I understand why fans around the country think the SEC, SEC, SEC chant is bizarre.  I feel the same way when Hog fans around me start doing it.  It's time we stop being groupies of the neighborhood bully...and start kicking some butts of our own.

I'm going to say the TCTJGF had everything to do with our post season rankings from his inability to coach to his inability to recuit.  It especially does not help when you lose your bowl games.  What was TCTJGF's record in bowls again?  Exactly.    We have been in the SEC approximately 15 years, if you count 1992 through 2007.  HDN was at the controls for 10 of those.  I'm just sayin...

taintlint

January 09, 2008, 01:40:35 pm #98 Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 01:54:29 pm by taintlint
Quote from: EastexHawg on January 09, 2008, 01:33:03 pm

I would say Danny Ford and Houston Nutt may have a little to do with a lack of success.

The SEC has faced an Arkansas with piss poor coaching for 15 years. While the rest of the country and SEC were moving their Athletic Departments to corporate style business models, we stuck with the good ole' boy system.

The 1960 power players are out now.

There is no more Frank Broyles, Houston Nutt, and now John White. Like John Tyson said, Arkansas is moving AWAY from the 8-4 model. This could have been done a long time ago but we were not ready to run our business like the business it is. We wanted to keep the old school, good ole' boy social club and power players in tact.

It is a different ball game now.

spudhog

The reason we chant SEC is becaue in the early 90's when this "superconference" was formed. Everybody made fun of it and thought it would never last. Well, everytime the SEC wins an nc in track, football, baseball, basketball, vollyball or even gymnastics. We all can share in it a little bit since all of us make the next one better.

Look what Ohio St. has to do. They have got to start recruiting different players to compete only in bowl games. Since what they have got right now will win the Big 10. In the SEC, you recruit just to survive and with the thought that if we can win our side of the conference and beat this team and that one, we'll be in a bcs game we should win.